Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I've started playing this myself and from what little experience I have let me just say that you are loving insane. But hey what else is new

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

MarquiseMindfang posted:

You can point-warp with anything but magic equipped.

He had magic equipped.
It's also a little finnicky until you figure out that you need to hold triangle to point warp, not just press it. If you just press triangle, you'll just throw your weapon forward.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

FeyerbrandX posted:

Also press and hold R1 to lock on. It took me way too long to realize this myself. Especially since I think most lockon systems are just tap once to do it, then again to break lockon or target something new.
You can tap R3, the thumbstick, to maintain lockon, but in my admittedly limited experience I've found that it's best to be able to shift from one target to another because this game puts you in a ton of fights against multiple enemies.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

That's weird, though: the impression I got from that lore painting at the start was that Nifelheim was still very actively at war with the protagonists' country, King King the King's barrier was the only thing keeping them out, and Noctis was being sent to marry the princess of some neighboring third party kingdom. Not that they'd already gotten their asses whooped even with the barrier.

...There's going to be even more of this kind of contradictory stuff, isn't there.
My understanding is that at the beginning of this game, Lucis and Nifelheim are sort of in a cold war situation after a lengthy period of conflict, complete with their borders being completely blockaded from one another, but they're feeling out one another for peace. Noctis is being sent to marry someone who is currently a Nifelheim Imperial tributary as part of a peace treaty, and simultaneously a peace summit between Lucis and Nifelheim is being held.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm imagining the logistics of Noctis And The Insomiacs (that's the band name btw) rolling up and realizing their money is no good here

Like, did they flash their wad of cold Lucis cash only to be told that, no, out here we're on the mythril standard, gil coins only

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Rocketlex posted:

There's dialogue for Promto saying "Wait, what's a Gil?" when you first go into the first shop, but it didn't trigger this time.
Oh, I know, but I'm just trying to visualize the entirety of that exchange.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm not a huge fan of group LP's, but I'm following this one because I do think the game is kinda charming so far.
Normally I hate completely blind LPs of open-ended games like this, they can get bogged down doing nothing forever, but when the commentators are as good as the former T40s there's always an exception. It's always about being able to fill dead air when you're doing something like this.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Again, though, this is something where the nation's continued existence hangs on Noel getting there in a timely manner... and some random hick is endangering countless people in his country in order to "teach the prince a lesson".
I'm just gonna say that Cid has a somewhat justified reason for why he's doing this beyond just spite. We won't find out for several episodes though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Regalingualius posted:

Is it "AH NEEDED BOOZE MONEH!"?
That would be pretty justified

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Had been considering purchasing this when that need was obsoleted in the best way. Glad to see you guys at it again, seems like forever.

A Sometimes Food posted:

The best parts of this are the gameplay, the incidental dialogue and some of the random sidequest poo poo. An LP doesn't really obsolete that just saying.
Yeah I know it's weird to say this about a Final Fantasy game but this is actually fun to play, not just experience

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Those dog things are definitely the most annoying normal enemies in the starting area, largely because of how much they move around and that stupid lunge thing where they start clawing Noctis' eyes out that I'm never, ever able to block

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Also, please don't make fun of Prompto, he's my precious idiot son

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

topiKal posted:

:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Now we got dope threads, so fresh
If you look at the hunt posters, all hunt marks are "wanted for habitat destruction", so I guess you're hunting them because they're either overpopulating or invasive and a danger to local species.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Genocyber posted:

I definitely recommend getting a handle on elemancy at some point cause magic in this game is basically a tactical nuke you can deploy at will. It's a bit obtuse especially considering how it's completely unlike how magic worked in any previous entry, but it's very simple. You can draw ice/fire/lightning from spots on the map (usually clustered around campgrounds) and then put it into a magic flask in your elemancy menu. The more you put in the stronger the spell is, shown with potency, and you can add a regular item as a catalyst to add others effects (dual/tri/quint cast and so on are the best for pure damage). Then you just select craft and you can equip the spell in one of your weapon slots to use in a fight.
Try combining a bunch of drawn elements with an equal amount of sheep's milk (you know, the kind you can buy from any item shop) some time. The results are hilarious.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Noctis seems like he'd eat whatever everyone else agreed to eat because he's a chill friend-leader. Ignis is the biggest food snob of the group, but he'd never order anything that Noctis hates, because he's Noctis' butler. Gladiolus likes stuff with tons of protein and the occasional tasty junk food on his cheat day, because he crossfits. Prompto likes total trash garbage food.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Prompto's the sort of guy who unironically suggests just swinging by to grab stuff at the 7-11 when everyone's asking what they should do for food

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

This is not a joke, by the way. This is young Prompto, before he started doing cocaine

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I was really hoping this episode was gonna have you bumbling into a high level demon at night and getting annihilated. Oh well, its gonna happen at some point.
The only thing that saved them from this happening is that I'm pretty sure that when a hunt is active, all other monsters in the designated area clear out.

They definitely coulda ran into something bad during their run back to town though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lunethex posted:

I can't believe in the age of gaming selfies they did not think to have Pompoto and crew just take selfies with the burning husks of monsters they just slayed as proof of success.
Keep this post in mind

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Funny enough I'm pretty sure Cid was his group's Prompto.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Also no the Imperial soldiers aren't people, they're robots.

e: oh nvm you got to that part
I always interpreted that the ones that are called "Imperial Soldiers" are people and the ones that are called "Magitek Soldiers" and are several levels higher than the other enemies are robots

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ok. Dropships. I will clarify the hint I made a while ago.

If you want to poo poo all over the game, and on groups of dropship troopers in particular, and be cost efficient while you're at it, combine 99 sheep's milk with 99 of any elemental energy when you're crafting magic. 99 sheep's milk costs 990 gil. This will get you 6 uses of dualcast -aga magic. Thundaga in particular is very useful for dealing with dropships.

It is up to the LPers whether you wish to use this power.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kuvo posted:

not to fill up this page with a million replies but do you guys like the longer episodes or should we try to keep them sub 30min?
I prefer episodes that range anywhere from 20-50 minutes, an hour pushes it a bit but can be fine

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

This only gets me Thundara. Do I need some ascension skills or something?
You need Powercraft. Also, did you make sure to actually add the sheep's milk, because in my experience just adding 99 of an element to a flask gets you to -ara.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lunethex posted:

I think you're pretty close to being able to drive around yourself so you'll be less annoyed by travel in general. Can you drive off road?
You can only drive on roads and the off-road side-paths

It's not as exciting as it seems

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Can the car actually break and become unusable if you hit enough people? I wouldn't put it past sqeenix to make it cosmetic only :buddy:
It totally can and then you have to tow it

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

oath2order posted:

And that was how I spent one in game day trying to find dead eye in the wrong place.

Also I am like 99% sure catcher22 is someone's tinder handle.
It's a twitter handle with one tweet!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Rodyle posted:

Not that I saw but then I stopped playing after they announced they were redoing half the game in patches.
Yeah, I did the same. Game is fun, but when I heard that they were updating a ton of it in the indefinite future I put off finishing it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

They're called archetypes for a reason, you know. A protagonist with A Destiny, flanked by a hyper-competent brainy number 2 guy, a strong and silent one and a comic relief dude? You can find 4 or 5-man bands that fit those types everywhere. I don't really take points against the game for not breaking the fundamental literary mold, but they could have given the characters more depth.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

JT Jag posted:

They're called archetypes for a reason, you know. A protagonist with A Destiny, flanked by a hyper-competent brainy number 2 guy, a strong and silent one and a comic relief dude? You can find 4 or 5-man bands that fit those types everywhere. I don't really take points against the game for not breaking the fundamental literary mold, but they could have given the characters more depth.
Fun fact, this describes the Ninja Turtles

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Rarity posted:

I want the DLC of where the other guys were during this where Gladiolus and Ignis sitting around talking poo poo about Noct and I dunno, Prompto gets his head stuck in an air vent
The One Where Prompto Gets His Head Stuck In The Railing Of Some Stairs

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

You need to do the Cindy quest

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

For the record, the name of the orchestral Yo Noid soundtrack would be Yo-Yo Noid

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

After you get the car back, don't forget to go back to the Hammerhead so Cindy can actually install your upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm gonna remind you to install your car upgrades at the Hammerhead until you say you've done it

• Locked thread