Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
What the gently caress is this game. It's like Monster Hunter with more leather and tedium. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Noct's alt outfit looking like a knock-off Aiden Pearce is really helping the "cobbled together mess of nonsense" vibe this game gives off.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I'm starting to get on board with this game after the tonally bizarre "emotional" scenes of Noctis trying to deal with his country (city...?) being torn apart while he's dressed like a stupid rear end in a top hat.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

JT Jag posted:

It's not as exciting as it seems

That seems like an apt description for most of this game so far.

I think they should all start singing road trip songs during the driving bits.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Were we ever given a reason for Milfheim invading Insomnia or is that yet to be revealed? Are the Milfs just a regular old Final Fantasy evil empire?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

I mean, we're only an hour or 2 of plot progress in, mind. They leave the city, filler happens, the city gets invaded, they return to it, and have now set off for a safe refuge. The open world is admittedly detrimental here, but give the character development some time.

For me it isn't so much that the characters are bland as whenever they do say things or display traits, I want heavy objects to fall on them.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Jeez, it's kind of depressing remembering watching all of those games get played and how long ago that was. I think T40s were a big part of why I never drink.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Does this carnival really not even have a ferris wheel or anything? The only thing to ride is gondola man's obviously on-rails boat? You're not fooling anyone, gondola man.

Bruceski posted:

You think ducks are bad? Ducks will fight back if you crowd them, but geese are aggressively territorial bastards. My hometown had an artificial pond that was owned by the geese, we couldn't shift them for preservation reasons, they crapped everywhere (I think ducks crap in the water while geese crap out of it), and would attack anyone who stood still for more than five seconds.

The geese around here are pretty cool, but I worked at a place that had a couple of swans. gently caress swans. You see all this swan propaganda around about them being beautiful majestic birds. They are not. They're fat ugly sacks of crap. Have you ever seen a swan poo poo? Swans poo poo like dogs. Just big green, loafy turds all over the pavement. Sometimes they're shiny and gooey and I don't know how. And when you go over there to sweep it off, they start eyeballing you and puff up like they're gonna fuckin' fight you. gently caress. Swans. :argh:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
This whole DLC seemed like a waste of time until that climax with the squirrel-cat. Also great that you could snap pictures the entire time until the actual finale.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

topiKal posted:

:cool::cool::cool: STILL HAVEN'T DIED YET :cool::cool::cool:

Oh god, Noctis swinging that giant lovely saw around while a firing squad opens up on him.

I'll also never not laugh when a prompt to push X comes up and Noctis just jumps in the air. This game seems so aggressively mediocre it's kind of amazing.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Kuvo posted:

D'ya like dags?

Sure, I like dags. I like caravans more.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Does this game still have a sprawling Final Fantasy plot or is that like 5% of the game and the rest are dumb side "quests" and hunts like every other RPG made nowadays?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
But it isn't blue and doesn't provide Poisonproof!

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

topiKal posted:

:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Episode 21 - Reversal of Fortune
I don't have Photoshop on my laptop I'll make a picture later jeez leave me alone

I was kind of on board when the action seemed more involved than anything in the main game, but then they started throwing waves of dudes on the same screen over and over and grim reality set in.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
God dammit I hate open world games with impassable chest-high fences and poo poo everywhere. What's the point of a giant map with nothing to do except run back and forth across it for dumbass fetch quests? I don't understand games! I don't understand anything!! Aaaarrgghh! :argh:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
So... is this game better or worse than Mass Effect Andromeda?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
At least when the chocobo is a different color, you know something's happened. I completely forgot why Iris is even hanging out with you now.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

topiKal posted:

Finally a vehicle we can be proud of

At last the game can really start picking up!

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
How did this game get made. Like, why didn't anyone try to stop them? :psyduck:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
D-did you just murder Brrrrrap? :smithfrog:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
They want to get the most out of whoever the gently caress, Inctus'? cooking segments.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I'll never eat Cup Noodles again. :argh:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
It took me until now to realize that Noctis' alternate outfit is pro fishing gear. :downs:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Personally I'm a fan of lovely companies being like, "hey man, don't give us money ever again. We're good." It really frees up my time.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Oh man, on every jump Prompto throws up his hand for a high five, but they didn't commit to the animation so he whiffs every time.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
That restaurant man just stepped out of a hay bale in the middle of nowhere and offered to buy your carrots. Is he the devil? :psyduck:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Sydin posted:

Something about helping Iris grow carrots apparently?

I disagree, Noctis is infuriating. You could argue it makes sense for sheltered, good for nothing teenager to be pretty :emo: given the situation, but the game does nothing with it. Rather than the plot serving as a vehicle for Noctis to grow in any way as a character, it's just been a never ending excuse for him brood because that's what Final Fantasy protagonists do. He's not as offensive as Squall or Lightning, but he's certainly up there.

Squall was hilarious. :colbert:

Noctis is just a void of anything resembling interest or appeal.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I like Bandunk's idea of doing four, eight-hour episodes.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Lt. Conquistador posted:

Also, fun fact, choosing any of the other options for the "Perfect Cup Noodle Ingredient" will lead you to a subpar boss in the overworld. Good job accidentally picking the right option.

It was no accident, eggs on ramen are great.

That egg topping business is a great idea. You're even in San Francisco where that type of thing would probably catch on with the hipsters. :aaa:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I don't drink, why does it have a nozzle? :psyduck:

Is that a gallon of wine in a box?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I thought it was a joke video with that lovely new one until the camera zoomed in on his face. :psyduck:

Edit: I hate everything about this. gently caress SquareEnix.

Bocc Kob fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 8, 2017

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Prompto's Japanese voice actor really captures how insufferable the character is. :stare:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Maybe part of the incentive is supposed to be letting Tekken fans beat the piss out of Noctis.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

DrakePegasus posted:

They’ve stated that they’re using XV as a testing ground for all the features they want to make standard in future mainline SE franchises.

You know, SquareEnix turned into Japanese EA so gradually, I didn't even notice.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
It makes it a lot worse when the NPCs are knowingly addressing Noctis as the prince in exile before asking him to collect beans and poo poo for them. They could've really easily spun it as like Noctis was cooped up in the palace all his life or something, so even though his kingdom's in ruins, this is still his first real chance to experience life on the outside with most people not knowing who he is to justify all the sidequest bullshit the game gets you into. Instead you just roam around the lovely world in your jumping car with your cadre of dudebro cybermen and no one calls you out on loving off to go camping and feed cats while your dad king has been murdered and who even knows anymore what your supposed love interest is doing.

My immersion is being ruined! :argh:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
How high do you have to level Prompto's photo skill before you can get an anime eyes filter?

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
If you told me this weird gondola town was cut and pasted from the last one we visited, I would believe it. They spent that whole boat ride summarizing the "plot", but the amount of information they provided could've taken two sentences. That's all that happened. Nothing happens in this game! :argh:

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Bethamphetamine posted:

And I don't know if anybody mentioned it to you guys - don't play Ignis' DLC. There are late game spoilers.

Maybe don't play any DLC for this game because it will make it take longer.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
After the Assassin Festival and the Cup Noodle sidequest, I'm not sure I could handle FFXV doing a crossover with something I actually like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Uh, did they actually say why they're summoning the fish lizard thing or just that they're going to do it? That town is at least superficially neutral with the evil empire and they're the only threat in the game's world aside from random nighttime monsters, right?

• Locked thread