Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I finished rewatching the FFX LP like two days ago and finding this thread has made me feel like Christmas is here early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I interpreted the money thing as, they actually did take a bunch of cash with them, but all of it went to car repairs because Cid intentionally overcharged them. That's why Cindy had that line about her grandpa paw-paw "teaching them boys a lesson." Going out and earning something instead of having it handed to them for being royalty.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

If you go into the Gear menu where everyone's equipment is, the last option lets you change their clothes. There's 4 for each character by default and they give you different buffs like more HP, more vitality, etc.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I really wish I'd gotten a spare code for the gaudy chocobo decal DLC so I could send that to you as well.

I'm looking forward to what you do to the car in the future. :allears:

Also now that you guys have looked around the not-sphere grid for awhile, grab Ignis's skill Regroup when you can, it's under the Techniques tab and probably the most useful tech in the game.

One more for the "things the game doesn't tell you" train of advice: Hitting down on the d-pad while music's playing enables shuffle.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

The mechanic of hunts being available through diners is one I think is really neat conceptually, but in actuality there's zero reason they shouldn't be able to log that poo poo over a 4g network or something because everyone in this game has a smartphone. Like just send me my rewards through a royal dropbox or something, I don't want to run/drive back and forth.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I'm surprised it didn't take the entire episode to find the map piece, that quest is awful. I looked up a guide after half an hour of searching and it still took me another 15 minutes to find the drat thing after that.

Also I'm a moron for not mentioning that the DLC included weapons :doh: You have the Blazefire Saber from FF13 (one-handed sword), Mage Mashers from 9 (daggers) and Gae Bolg from 14 (spear) which are all pretty nice in the early game.

Speaking of DLC, there's a free Holiday Pack available now for some event in January or something

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Lunethex posted:

This game looks so weird to play. I played a couple Tales games back in the day and the later Star Ocean games and FF15 is aping them but it seems so clustered and claustrophobic. Having not played obviously I can't tell from most of the game seen thus far in the LP but it doesn't seem you can do much about enemies that attack you off-screen. There doesn't seem to be hitstun on any enemies and a lot of this seems left to chance. If someone who is good at this game is reading I am curious what the mechanics are to not getting hit a lot in this game.

Also god the world is really empty so far. Hope you get a method to move around faster later.

I'm admittedly not great at this game but I've put ~38 hours into it and I can definitely say enemy difficulty increases with group size, not with enemy levels or your progress in the game. Especially with faster enemies like goblins who love to bounce around like small kids high on candy and make you eat poo poo. This becomes less of a problem once you learn how to utilize spacing and weapon synergy better. For example there's a really good greatsword move which is a spiral attack and done by releasing the attack button, delaying for a second, then hitting it again. It's quick to come out but takes forever if you're trying to do it in the middle of a greatsword combo, which is why it's best to do it after switching from something faster like daggers to mitigate the greatsword's otherwise empty frames. If that makes sense. Kuvo mentioned this at some point while experimenting with weapon switching, but that's just a specific example. Certain combos will also place you differently in relation to your target, predictably back combos (holding back on the stick) will give you more space while forward combos bring you closer and usually start air combos.

I'm definitely not claiming this game has in-depth combat on DMC's level or anything but learning how to string efficient combos together requires some time and effort that only comes with playing the game more and actively paying attention, so stuff like goblin swarms early in the game actually pose a pretty decent challenge different from tackling a couple of slow fantasy-rhinos simply because they can combo you to death and prevent you from stringing more than two hits together. Constantly warping out and then in is common advice for handling those kinds of fights, as well as being pretty liberal with the dodge button. Trying to go for full combos blindly without paying attention to enemy animations just gets you knocked down a lot.

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 24, 2016

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

e: wrong thread

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 24, 2016

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

ishikabibble posted:

Something I think the game never tells you, is that R1 in the car changes the camera angle. You get like three levels of far/close and some weird off center interior view.

Yeah there's a bunch of hidden controls for the car, L1/R1 to go between camera angles, triangle to honk, down on the d-pad for repeat/shuffle, and holding in R3(?) for like 5 seconds lets you put the roof up and down. Kind of pointless features overall but they're a neat touch I think.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Magitek troopers have glowing red eyes and are robots, Imperial soldiers do not have the glowing eyes and are human. Like dimenticon said they're also animated really differently. One of the NPCs in the Crow's Nest Diner mentioned at some point how he saw a magitek trooper and it creeped him the gently caress out

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

You guys walked by a dart board on the way to and from turning in the dog tag sidequest.

It was interactable.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

There are two outfits for the ongoing Carnival DLC, the mariachi one comes with the Holiday Pack+ which is only available to season pass holders ($25). The other one comes with the regular Holiday Pack which is free but I think you guys already picked it up. They're Noctis only.

Are you guys gonna show off the carnival, by the way? It's not locked behind story progress, there's a separate option for it on the main menu. It's only gonna be available for two or three weeks I think.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I hope y'all are emotionally prepared to hear that sound clip of Prompto singing the victory theme after battles because he's gonna do that a lot

dimenticon posted:

That frog quest took me two separate 15-minute sessions to complete. I am impressed and angry you guys did it in five.

Same, when I did that quest it was also nighttime and I didn't know about the sound cues until much later. :shepicide:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I was loving dying at Ignis just standing in the way of that chocobo photo, I've never seen that happen during that quest. Also that guy's clapping is probably the worst animation in the entire game, which is full of jittery and awkward animation already.

Kuvo you were probably joking about bird radio but they're patching that in on the 21st, because people asked for it

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Oh boy, the carnival. I've probably sunk too much time into it for what it offers, but it's a great place for farming stuff that's normally a pain in the rear end to find. General fishing tips that apply to the main game: fish are real drat picky about which lure you're using! You almost have to know ahead of time what sort of fish are in the area, and they'll generally bite if you use a lure for a fish within the same family (trevally, grouper, bass, trout etc.) but otherwise they show no interest. If there's no red bar immediately after you cast, hit O to back out (you don't have to manually reel in your cast) and use a different lure.

Here's my state fair story: I went to the Vermont state fair when I was 3 years old, I was at the petting zoo and wanted to pet this duck 'cause it's fluffy, you know, and I was leaning over and it loving pecked me literally about a centimeter above my right eye as hard as it could. It probably would have blinded me had it been any closer. gently caress ducks. Ducks are loving evil pieces of poo poo.

...I don't enjoy watching Noctis nearly getting pecked to death by the chocobo on the farm. :(

Nihilarian posted:

This poo poo is so stupid I love it
Sombrero is only available if you paid. The free version does have a stupid tshirt though, and you have it right from the start

they got both of 'em, the pop-ups were during the load screen

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Oh Lord which one is this.

here you go

vvvv e: Oh I'm aware, but I've never been personally attacked by geese except in a fatal fury game so I'm pretty biased

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Feb 13, 2017

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Carbuncle doesn't drink enough whiskey to be Old Kentucky II.

Old Kentucky Crow, on the other hand...

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

The Cindy questline eventually leads to something that'll make the car faster I think. Her quests are generally worth doing. The best upgrade for speed is something you have to get in a different, much more annoying way, though, and that's not going to be for a long long time.

Please keep the mariachi outfit on forever until the power ranger DLC comes out.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Lestallum is a really cool area, even if it does look kinda dumpy in parts. I love the dynamic music shifts, sometimes I'll just hang out in the market for those sweet horns. Their fashion sense is atrocious though, jesus.

To the game's credit it doesn't penalize you for picking the "bad" dialogue options with Iris, it still gives you all the AP rewards and such. I wasn't really a fan of her character and Noctis is kind of engaged so I totally blew her off. She gets super mad when you deny her suggestion that it's a date, it's pretty loving weird and yikes.

additionally, probably no one cares and you joked about it but the ffxv eu does tell us that noctis graduated as valedictorian (he went to public school like a regular citizen which is where he met prompto). thanks, ffxv eu

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I'm almost disappointed you didn't get Ignis to die because his death rattle sounds really ridiculous and goofy. I also like that those giraffes showed up in the middle of the road just as you guys were complaining about there being nothing to do while driving. :allears:

Vyv's photo quests are usually worth doing if you're feeling short on money since he's the only quest giver besides the hunt quests at restaurants who actually pays you worth anything in raw cash.

Is Prompto's DLC camera equipped? Because that camera always puts a really lovely looking blue filter on everything by default, I have no idea what the devs were thinking when they put that garbage out. His regular camera is a lot better.*

*disclaimer: no quality of camera can fix Prompto

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Danaru posted:

I unironically hope they don't, Prompto taking the shittiest photos and acting like a genius is one of my favourite things

when this LP started I wanted to suggest they make "someone compliments Prompto on a really lovely photo" a drinking condition, but didn't because I wasn't sure yet how incompetent his AI would be.

as for the unfortunately placed lv 50 migdarsormr snake whatever, I could've swore it's not supposed to show up until after this quest is over (at least it didn't when I played) but regardless it was pretty hilarious watching you try to fight it. omnis lacrima (the battle music that plays for large non-demons like the snake) also owns, imo.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Gamerofthegame posted:

wait

why does this have nier's soundtrack

They've been patching in more music to coincide with new releases as a promotional thing. Nier Automata obviously added Nier music, the Gladio DLC added a couple tracks from his campaign (also composed by Keiichi Okabe), and the most recent patch added some stuff from a mobile game no one's ever heard of but did a FFXV event recently.

I'm hoping for more XIV tracks when Stormblood comes out next month.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

The DLC coming out this month doesn't take place storywise until chapter 12 or 13 and I wouldn't recommend doing it earlier than that.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the free June update adds, though OFF ROAD REGALIA (it will probably control like rear end)

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Back when timed quests were still an online mp thing, there was a quest that rewarded you 2 mil for completing it. It was one of the most poorly balanced enemies I've ever experienced in a video game but ffxv hands you megalixirs like they're candy so it was whatever

I've no idea how you'd get the big bucks otherwise unless you really like doing hunts.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Bocc Kob posted:

Are there options to shut off the subtitles and switch the audio to Japanese or any other language? It might make the game better.

If anything this makes it worse because Japanese Prompto is a thousand times more insufferable.

The French dub is good though.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Night10194 posted:

I mean, how's it going to have any impact? We don't know Lunafreya at all. In-setting, Noctis doesn't either. She's just a nice girl he hang out with a little as a kid who then summoned a giant water dragon and died so he could go super saiyan.

They've been corresponding for years since then via the magic dog journal so it's not quite as simplistic as that

granted, according to this lp the only thing noctis has ever said to lunafreya in all the letters he's ever sent is "got it" but, y'know

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Kid's King's Cuisine

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Bethamphetamine posted:

Is there anybody conclusively dead in this game other than Jared and Lunafreya?

Noctis's dad is very dead

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Gorilla Salad posted:

Wait, scouser Biggs says, "Nothing but daemons in the Capital. Meanwhile the Crystal's just sitting there."

Is he referring to Insomnia, Noct's kingdom?

Because, if memory serves, his "kingdom" consisted entirely of just that one city. If the giant missile-making GBS threads demons have finished killing everyone there, what exactly is he fighting for, again?

Good thing we spent all that time licking toads.

He's talking about the Niflheim capital. Which you are on the way to.

The problem presented in Tenebrae was that the train was en route to a city that, it's been discovered, is crawling with daemons, and it's deemed too unsafe to lead civilian trains there (so Tenebrae is the last public stop, most of those people at the station are freaking out about where they're gonna live now). Problem is Noct and co still need to get to Gralea to take back the crystal that got stolen 50 hours ago off screen, which is why they had Aranea introduce them to Biggs and Wedge who are gonna take them there.

Also they're trying to find Ravus (brother in law) because he looted your dad's dead body during Kingsglaive and stole his sword, which is one of the royal arms plot devices you're looking for.

This game is so loving bad at explaining itself.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I can't make a long effortpost right now but literally everything between when Shiva freezes Ardyn (homeless man) and Ardyn talking about Prompto was added via patch like 3 months ago, absolutely none of it is relevant to anything and actively makes this sequence, somehow, even worse

like the previous version was just, Shiva shows up, ices Ardyn, hands over the trident and goes "yeah i got your back dude". but people on reddit were screaming for lore/backstory for the summons so we got this nonsensical bullshit

e: also kuvo you've been mentioning this sidequest you really want to do with the car, can you either spoiler it or pm me what it is? the quest might need to be unlocked

melodicwaffle fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 1, 2018

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

midexlain posted:

I'm gonna post the final fantasy xv omen trailer.

https://youtu.be/SZymd6r4wGg

That is the only explicitly real surviving remnant of the original plot for Final Fantasy Versus XIII

Except it's not even that. That trailer was made by a totally different company as an art project of sorts, after the rebrand to XV. Which makes you wonder why the gently caress they patched it into the game as a dream sequence when it has nothing to do with anything.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

someone on reddit made a really long post desperately trying to connect a postgame dungeon's architecture to this game's "lore" about ifrit and the other summons (but mostly ifrit).

it is indeed stupid and uninteresting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Tenebrais posted:

Has the game made any indication at all that people are disappearing in order for "daemons are people!" to explain anything?

i think aranea mentioned that people in gralea were going missing while we were in tenebrae, so we had ummm 5 seconds' heads up on it

• Locked thread