Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like how them setting up camp just broke you guys for a bit, but Noctis bringing weapons out of the ether does absolutely nothing.

It explains why they're totally broke though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, what the hell are the skills going to be like on higher levels? I mean, obviously Noctis will be catching fish with his bare hands Ignis will figure out how to cook using items they don't have using a combination of magicite and molecular gastronomy and Prompto will stop sticking his thumb in front of the camera all the time. But what the hell is the big dude going to do? Are they going to abandon the Coleman camping gear and just let him build them a cottage or something every night?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

I've got enough other games on my list at the moment that seeing it played scratches the itch for now. Maybe on a future sale.

Which is a good idea, since SE is planning a ton of patches to fix more things in the game, adding new story elements to the main narrative, fixing Chapter 13- hailed as the worst gameplay in any Final Fantasy game, not that that means much- adding new playable characters, new game plus stuff, new side missions, giving some of the boy band better character too.

So give it another year or two if possible.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

melodicwaffle posted:

If you go into the Gear menu where everyone's equipment is, the last option lets you change their clothes. There's 4 for each character by default and they give you different buffs like more HP, more vitality, etc.

You ignored the most important stat 'More laughs'

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fedule posted:

This part is kinda weird. Kingsglaives explicitly are able to warp, but can't pull weapons from hammerspace. Noct's pals, meanwhile, can pull weapons from hammerspace (only two each though) but can't warp.

Noct is related to Regis and a special boy so he gets to do both. As he gets old, he'll lose the ability to warp and pull the weapons out of hammerspace. His friends, are not related to the king and thus, can never warp on their own.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SgCloud posted:

Wasn't this game supposed to have a story? Where is it?

So far, we've only been doing sidequests.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Danaru posted:

Prompto seems like the kind of guy who could eat nothing but baconators for every meal and still somehow never gain any fat or muscle

Prompto's a kinda guy that does poo poo that makes you think 'That boy ain't right.' Eating oranges without peeling them, trying to take pictures on the roof of a car, trying to shoot a bear with a bottle rocket that he's holding in his gun. Just the dumbest poo poo.

Anyway, not that sidequests aren't interesting, but I do wanna hype up the game a little bit. Spoilers if you haven't seen the trailer for the game back in March.

A spoiler lurks within

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Is 'not being able to have more than one mission at a time' also counted as interface poo poo?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm glad you guys decided to move through the story a bit. The hunts are really starting to ramp up in difficulty so it'd be good to move on and make better weapons open to purchase.

Anyway I totally missed something, what did they do to suddenly make everything but food only cost half of what it does normally?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

oath2order posted:

They were gifted a DLC that basically does exactly that.

Oh, I only knew about the one that gives you the Masamune.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

dimenticon posted:

FFXV went all-out with pre-order dlc, but also spread it out really weirdly. No retailer or store sold the game with all possible pre-order dlc, not even the Ultimate edition on Squeenix's online shop.

I remember seeing a graph that bad about some other game too but I can't remember anything so it's completely gone.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Samuel L. Chan posted:

Is the vaguely scummy guy with a New York accent really jarring for anyone else? It's like a real person got sucked into FF15, where does he even come from in game?

Noctis pulled out a cell phone already, I don't know what to believe anymore.

Genocyber posted:

It's hot in the desert.

Only if you're Cindy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

What the gently caress even is this beautiful game.

Somehow still less headache-inducing than Kingdom Hearts. A series that started out with you beating up the main character of FF9 but as a child, and then later on if you chose, Sephiroth and two of the Titans from Hercules.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So many mechanics that never get explained.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

What is even the point of Prompto's skill?

I get Gladwrap's skill, he finds loot as you wander around and fight.

I get Noct's skill, he gets food and loot.

I get Ignis' skill, he provides the buffs.

But what does photography do?

How else are you supposed to make a scrapbook?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunethex posted:

I just love how soon after their entire lives were upended and ruined they were soon again casually playing games on their phones outside a Winnebago.

This game has about as much care and polish as far as maintaining the gravity of the situation as Bioshock Infinite.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fabulousvillain posted:

I almost choked on food I was eating from laughing when Kuvo crashed the car. Also what is with the drop ships in this, do they appear by area or are they trying to simulate random encounters from the older games?

They're actively trying to hunt you down. I'd assume you could see them coming if you can balance managing the chaos of battle and looking around at the sky occasionaly.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I judiciously make use of youtube's Watch Later function so even if I can't set aside 45 minutes for a video at a time I can come back to it later.

tldr; maek the long vidoo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Section Z posted:

Take as long as you need for the magic to happen, without burning yourself out.

Given the roaming nature of this game, 20 minutes can end up being only enough time to hit your stride. But forcing yourself to make 45 minute to hour long episodes every time could also get old for you and your co-commentary. So do what feels good.

Dungeon based episodes are probably going to be interesting. Considering you cant manually save in them :v:

My dumb post aside, yeah this is pretty much a not-dumb way to say what I wanna see. I enjoy longer videos but don't strain yourself.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait till episode 17 where we check out what those tools you guys keep picking up do.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Or Spam sushi?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Fun fact, this describes the Ninja Turtles

That was my first guess but I'm struggling to come up with another example now.

Oh wait, Agents of Shield.

JT Jag posted:

They're called archetypes for a reason, you know. A protagonist with A Destiny, flanked by a hyper-competent brainy number 2 guy, a strong and silent one and a comic relief dude? You can find 4 or 5-man bands that fit those types everywhere. I don't really take points against the game for not breaking the fundamental literary mold, but they could have given the characters more depth.

Also, you had a good point here too. There's very little camaraderie for people who've supposedly known each other for at least a couple months.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Noctis' clothes make every cutscene better. I was typing this and I just heard Benson mention that there's a bouncy jewel on the cap, I didn't notice it until that. Holy poo poo, and it actually move about in scenes it's so good :swoon:

And to think, it only took 18 parts for us to have fun.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Personally every episode has been great fun.

I still think Kuvo needs to grind at any rate.

Oops, I meant them, the players and not us, the viewers.

Sorry, I'm quite bad at words.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

This is such a dry game. It's a bit of a shame how stiff and restrictive everything is.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I was the cranky old man who sat in his rocking chair yelling about this game right before it came out.

"They made us wait infinity years--I don't think it's going to live up to the hype!" said old man Shinjobi. I was laughed at, ridiculed, and reminded to stop being so dang cranky.

These videos make me feel so smug it's kinda ridiculous. Like, XV doesn't look like a bad game, really. But gently caress...if I had waited as long as I did, paid as much money as you have to for this game + any DLC, and this is the final product? Cranky isn't the right word for it. The game feels like a huge let down.

Yeah, it's not MN9 bad but it's like...Sonic Lost World, I suppose.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wow, I just really realized how bizarre a Final Fantasy game this is. There's no healing or buff magic at all. It's all potions and food. That and there not really being an armor system at all.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Well, the closest is the cures you can add to the spells you make, but i am bummed theres no 'white mage' option. Hopefully if they do add luna in some way like they intimated she can be one

I mean I can understand the lack of it. Blink or Vanish would absolutely destroy the combat in this game, and throwing a Berserk on Gladiolus would be fun but overkill.

Wow, that would actually be way more interesting, actually. As would not being constantly forced out of the car and allowed to run enemies over. Hmm.

Edit: Also Vyv sounds like Forrest Kayson from D4 to me.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 5, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FeyerbrandX posted:

I don't think Blink would be that effective, at least during trash mob fights where 15 attacks are going off all at once. Congrats, you dodged 5 attacks for chip damage, get ready for another 10 to stack up. Even big daemons or bosses have combo attacks where Blink if its just one or two shots wouldn't help too much.

It generally lasts for a pretty drat long time to be honest. And if that one wouldn't help then turning everything into an imp or frog certainly would. Or casting Protect on yourself so you can stop getting flung around like a Dark Souls ragdoll for a moment.

Wiseblood posted:

It is actually the same VA (David Lodge).

Holy poo poo, I actually recognized someone!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Calihan posted:

I wonder how many episodes it takes before one of them manages to make a proper spell.

You can use the stuff that drops from monsters to make far more potent spells for instance.

I'm just glad they've abandoned relying on their party to heal them and are just using items freely.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

topiKal posted:

:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Managed to somehow find an even more unlikable character than Prompto

I like how the loving objective marker during the 'follow his car mission or it's game over' couldn't even smoothly move along the minimap.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Please turn off your item inhibitors in the future. Sure, you may not get many Megaelixirs in the future but ask yourself 'Is this item worth doing this over a second time?' And then do that every time you find yourself needing to use one.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunethex posted:

I hate to admit it because I make an effort to pay attention to games but nothing about FF15 has been compelling in the least and it's filtered out overtime. The four blokes and their car romping around the wilderness killing endangered wildlife and finding beans for diner proprietors is great though. I'm always excited to find out about Ignis' next new recipe.

But nothing that's happened in this game has had any weight or backbone to it.

I feel like Final Fantasy got real bad at characters post 9.

This game is also just odd. It feels...rigid in a lot of ways. No swimming, can't even get up to your knees in the water, jumping over cars tends to have you collide into it's giant top hat hitbox, the constant 10 second long interruptions by party so they can tell you to beat up a monster.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lunethex posted:

I'm sure many people all over the world have a passion for fishing but my hot take is fishing has no place in video games and should not ever be an important aspect of them.

I agree. Stop putting semi-realistic fishing in games. Make actually interesting fantasy fishing a thing instead. Gimme a sleek looking tugboat and 80 harpoons and tell me to go out there and hunt some sea buffalo. Or let me fight a Kracken. Either stop making me pick up tuna or let me somehow get fifteen of them on one hook.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lt. Conquistador posted:

It's so odd how there's fishing minigames in every JRPG out there nowadays. I recently played through Persona 5 and Yakuza 0, and they both had unnecessary fishing activities.

It's not that crazy for things in previous games to show up in later ones.

Persona 4's reasoning to do it was very good though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

topiKal posted:

:siren: CAR UPGRADES :siren:

Finally a vehicle we can be proud of

Video says Xv part 33 instead of part 34.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh my god they didn't undersell a second of it. I thought they meant like, the stuff was getting more ridiculous. Like they started with cars and then they'd start moving onto go karts and ATVs and by the end they were doing bumper cars and aquariums.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure besides eating food for buffs there must be something they can do to deal with stuff like those really powerful imperial robots right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Why does everyone run up and throw you backwards 20 feet or put you in a full-nelson every time they want to bring up a new objective in a fight?

Why is the car so drat slow?

Why is there only half a character between all these NPCs and your party so far?

Why are parts of the story a movie?

• Locked thread