Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The soundtrack to this show is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

HanabaL03 posted:

Anyways. I think my favorite scene of The Leftovers is Kevin singing "Homeward Bound". Beautifully shot, and reading about how they chose that scene is pretty funny.

My favorite scene is Patti and Kevin in the well. The end of the Patti story arc. You finally see who Patti really is. Turned a two season villain into someone you feel sorry for in a couple minutes.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I genuinely forget what the end of her story was, I only watched the episode once. Mind refreshing my memory?

You figure out who she really is. She married an abusive man who she was too afraid to leave even when she had the means to. She wasn't evil, she was just horribly abused. That strong persona she put on just masked the fact she was a scared, mentally broken woman who felt belittled.

Lord Krangdar posted:

She won more than enough money on Jeopardy to leave her abusive husband and start over, but she stayed with him anyway.

When I re-watched this scene recently I wondered whether the story was her way of telling Kevin to finally finish her off or he would regret it, the way she regretted not leaving Neil..

I thought that too. I think the scene can work both ways.

Patti was also asking for Kevin to kill her because she wants to die but is afraid of leaving (leaving Kevin in this case). The Jeopardy story talks about how she wants to leave Neil but is ultimately afraid to. Despite the fact she won on Jeopardy and despite the fact she won with Kevin, she just can't leave. This was her way of getting Kevin to do what she's been afraid to do.

Patti is one of my favorite characters in all of television and Ann Dowd is brilliant.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

The trampoline scene just seemed to be a way of showing how Erika was dealing with the loss of her daughter. It was her coping mechanism. Erika saw that Nora was coping in unhealthy ways and offered up her healthy way. It made Nora feel better for a little while until she ran into Tommy. At which point she realized she's still a broken mess and resorts back to her unhealthy coping mechanism of being a realist rear end in a top hat who wants to poo poo on other people.

I thought the episode focused on two central themes. One being how people cope differently with loss. The other being how hope can wreak havoc on your life.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also the use of the Perfect Strangers piano theme when Nora was driving back was a really nice touch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_BOHuO1KEY

And the name of the episode.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

So, I'm wondering if the Nora we see at the end of 301 is post-microwaved Nora? Maybe she tries it, ends up with the 2%?

My theory is it's just older Nora. Maybe Kevin is in hiding with her after being turned into a Messiah figure that people are trying to find. I think Matt's new bible is creates a bunch of crazy zealots.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

One of the only episodes of this show that I just didn't like. Spending an hour on a minor character who hasn't had importance since Season one seemed to be a waste. I know it eventually tied in to the main plot but up till the end the episode dragged too much.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SLOSifl posted:

I get why people didn't like it (up until the end, come on), but I've been looking at the show with a bit more of an allowance for the weird. I actually think Kevin Sr's entire story, chicken and all, was legit. I think Gail's (is that her name?) story was also a very real indication that Kevin Sr did indeed get where he was going.

I think wherever Kevin Sr ended up would be the place he felt he was intended to go. I think the whole point is that Kevin Sr and now Grace are desperate to find meaning in things that are mundane.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Longbaugh01 posted:

Gotta say, I'm pretty shocked that a lot of people here didn't love this episode. I felt this was this season's “Two Boats and a Helicopter” and “No Room at the Inn” and that's a very good thing. In fact, the only other main character you see in this episode just happens to be Matt.

Those episodes weren't slow and boring for 45 minutes and featured a prominent character we cared about.

The acting was good and I understand what they tried to do. Kevin Sr Is just not a compelling character.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I would love a spin-off that just focused on the inner workings of the Department of Sudden Departures. Them trying to figure out the cause, rooting out frauds and charlatans, etc.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Matt Zerella posted:

The GDR lady who torments Kevin is freaking fantastic in The Handmaids Tale.

I know everyone loves Carrie Coon but Ann Dowd is the best on the show.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also Ann Dowd had a small role on a show called Quarry which is really good and she killed it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

So are there any theories on the guy who burned himself alive? Is he someone who was turned down from the people who will help "send you over" to the other side?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

I'm not really getting the Nora plot. It's obviously a scam, everything about it just screams scam. But Nora really seems to believe in it on some level. Why would a trained fraud investigator fall for this? She must have seen this poo poo a million times already over the years, why would this one crack her?

Because that's who Nora is. The hardened pragmatist is a facade she puts on for other people. In reality she's an emotional wreck who continues to find unhealthy ways to cope with her loss. Holy Wayne describes her perfectly in season one. Hope is her weakness. It's why she paid to meet Holy Wayne. It's why she met Mark Linn-Baker. Why she drove to see Lily. And why she went to Australia with $20,000. I mean even after the scientist tells her that if she goes through the odds of it being a place that humans could inhabit are astronomically small, she still clings to that tiny bit of hope.

It's what makes her character so great. She's this completely broken person still clinging to hope who masks it in her everyday life.

Also watch the clip with Wayne. Everything he says about her is still true to her character today. It's really why going back and re-watching earlier seasons is so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYG8H-sfks

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Golli posted:

They may have been checking to see if she knew or suspected she was pregnant in the way she answered. A woman who is pregnant would personalize a baby-killing hypothetical instead of being as detached as she was.

They may have moral (informed consent, the woman's right to choose, etc) reasons for rejecting her on that basis without fully explaining it to her.

I think it could also be a lie detector test of sorts. Nora would absolutely not kill a baby in their scenario. That guy who lit himself on fire probably would. They realize the person is lying and they are done.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

My only knock on the season is we haven't gotten enough Max Richter in the season. I miss those songs playing a lot more frequently.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm not sure what to think of this season. I felt like with only 8 episodes the stories would be much more compressed. But they've already had two standalone episodes for certain characters which are fine but think it's a waste not to use Carrie Coon.

Maybe I just need to re-watch them again. Sometimes I think there are scenes that just add nothing to story. Sometimes I think they're getting too cute with stuff. Or maybe it's that we aren't getting new characters like we did in past season (in fact we're losing compelling characters).

It'll probably all come together at the end to create a great finish but it just doesn't feel like this season has had a signature episode. Like I wouldn't put any of this season into my top 5 Leftovers episodes. Still enjoying it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

I think that's an impossible point of view to hold because millions upon millions of people vanished without any explanation. Everybody you know may still be there, it didn't affect your life in anyway other than "Huh did you see the news", you can mask it all you want and walk through the world with a blasé attitude, but that's still such a fundamentally loving insane thing that it would eat away at a person's psyche.

Basically any character introduced with a "who cares" attitude would eventually turn out to be a serial killer with dozens of bodies crammed in their crawlspace.

Think of how much the country was impacted by 9/11. This was an event where close to 3,000 people died. The departure would have wiped out 7 million American instantaneously. It would be hard not to know someone who departed.

Plus the sheer mystery behind it would cause chaos in the world. This wasn't an event like 9/11 where you can say 3,000 people died because terrorists flew planes into stuff. 7 million people would have disappeared and no one knows why. It could happen again at any minute for all they know. The world would be a really hosed up place. Something I think they've shown glimpses of (drones blowing up cults) but never given us the totality.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

UmOk posted:

Can someone explain what the deal was with the bricks thrown through windows in season 2?

It's not clear why Nora throws the brick. Might have been for the way John treated her brother Matt. Might have been anger that the disappearance of Evie has crushed what she thought was a safe space and made her think she was the cause. Or maybe a little bit of jealousy with how Erika was handling it. Nora tends to do impulsively destructive things when under pressure.

I think Erika throwing the brick was just a gently caress you back to Nora for using her as a puppet to work out her own guilty feelings about being a "lens" with the questionnaire.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It feels like Season 1 and 2 would have been the time for them to win them for. Justin Theroux is great but it's an 8 episode season and he hasn't appeared in two of the episodes so far.

I mean you could have gone with Ann Dowd, Carrie Coon, or Regina King (for season 2) along with Justin Theroux in earlier seasons. And how could it have not even been nominated for a writing award? Lens and International Assassin are two of the best hours of TV I've ever watched.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm a little confused at the ending. It seemed like Matt's conversation with "God" sort of broke him. But then at the end when the lion eats "God", that has to only reinforce Matt's views, right? I mean he was reading straight from the Book of Daniel on the plane.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

mcmagic posted:

What about Jill and Tommy? It's not believable that she would kill herself after that call...

I think it's more believable. Her kids don't need her anymore. They are doing just fine.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Onomarchus posted:

I disagree. It's a litmus test for whether what Kevin does is real. He has to ask them where their shoes are, and only if they are there will Grace believe anything else he says about his contact with her kids in the other world.

That's what I got out of it too.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Raxivace posted:

One idea that I really wish had been left more ambiguous in season 2 that I never see anyone else talk about is about is the thing about Matt possibly raping Mary. The way it initially plays makes it seem like it could go in this direction, and Matt's story about Mary coming out of her coma one night and whether viewers even believe it or not fits the general themes of the story really loving well. It also helps that that episode was one of the better ones of season 2.

So why then it was undermined when the writers had Mary come out of her coma for good and announce that she totally remembers consenting that night with Matt is something I've never heard a particularly convincing argument for, especially considering how her character and their child was written away anyways in season 3. It just feels like a very bathetic way to handle a storyline that really seemed ripe for drama and is even relevant to a lot of real world debates going on today in regards to how victimized women are treated in society.

Maybe Lindelof and Perotta thought it was just too uncomfortable and dark for the kind of show Leftovers is, I dunno.

I think it had more to do with the budget for the show and Janel Moloney doing American Crime. Same with Regina King. Same with Liv Tyler.

I agree that a lot of stuff from Season 2 just got dropped but I think it had more to do with budget constraints of the show. They were kind of lucky to get a Season 3 as it was and perhaps that came with a cut to the budget.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

My biggest gripe with Lindelof is he cares way too much about meta poo poo and catering to reviewers instead of viewers.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

UmOk posted:

What does this even mean?

The weird cavewoman scene was done to gently caress with Andy Greenwald. The Matt episode from this season was written for a reviewer who said nice things about the show last season. All the Kevin dick jokes came from a joke online about Theroux in his sweatpants.

It's not a big deal since some of those things work out well. But he's admitted to caring a lot about what reviewers say and I think throws stuff into the show to cater to them. The French submarine scene is an example of that. Don't think it added anything to the plot except to be a quirky thing reviewers can fawn over.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

UmOk posted:

Every scene you describe is good and fits with the show. I don't read reviews(other than goon posting) of anything so I guess that's why I don't get this line of criticism.

The 10-minute cavewoman scene was bad.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Lord Krangdar posted:

Both times it was because she felt too broken to keep trying to help the broken people around her.

From her perspective everyone around her had gotten caught up in shared delusions, and they had already killed one man and were planning on killing Kevin over them. Also she apparently helped lead Nora to her death over a false hope, too. At first she fell back on her usual shtick: manipulating people and lying to them in order to hopefully help steer them onto a healthier path. Like with her and Tommy's placebo hugging cult, or her fake palm-reading business, or her trying to help Kevin deal with his delusions by getting that Muslim woman to pretend to be Evie. But when she spoke to her husband John outside Grace's house he inadvertently revealed that their whole relationship was based on a lie; she thought their love and their palm-reading thing had helped him move past Evie's death, but the whole time he still believed she was alive. And now, worse, he believed Kevin should die to give Evie a message in the afterlife.

Later at dinner Kevin Sr. called her out for not actually believing in what they were doing (by relating the story of how she acted when he first started hearing voices), but the problem was she no longer believed in her own alternate agenda either. So when Kevin came back, ready to die, she asked him if he was scared and he said no. She said she wasn't either, and at that point she had decided to die too. I think she realized that, though she still didn't believe it, maybe Kevin was right and there was an afterlife for her. Or the world was ending regardless. Or they were wrong and they were about to drown Kevin over their shared delusions, and she couldn't do anything about it. "They're all gone". "Stop wasting your breath".

Maybe I read too much into the scene but I thought when Nora talked about going to the baseball game and the usher crushing the ball played a role too. Nora giving the "Why would anyone want to do that job?". Laurie was the usher. Trying to prevent "chaos" from happening but ultimately just making everyone feel like poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgieh9RYBj4

Laurie kills herself because she's incredibly depressed. Her life was being a therapist but instead of being able to help her patients, she was just making them feel shittier.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I think she made it up. It made a better story. It allows her to bring Kevin back into her life.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I thought the whole episode was about telling stories. Heck the whole season was about that. Putting a message of love to a pigeon thinking it'll travel around the globe into someone's hands. Hanging your sins on a goat that will take them away. Kevin pretending she was just a crush he randomly ran across on a vacation. They're just stories told because they are nicer than reality.

That was Nora's story. It's not real but it makes her and the person she cares about feel better.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Also can someone please give Carrie Coon an Emmy already. She was in every scene of that episode and just brilliant.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

My only gripe is Laurie still being alive. The suicide was kind of a perfect tragic farewell for her. Now just comes across as a big fake-out.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Agronox posted:

While Nora was explaining where she went I thought that her performance was actually lacking a bit; Carrie Coon's body language and eye contact in the scene is of someone who is lying.

I didn't even put two and two together to think that Nora WAS lying and that the acting made sense in that way.

We're going to need to watch that again.

She says in this interview that she plays the role a certain way but isn't going to say which one it is. That leads credence to it being a lie if you thought it sounded like someone lying.

http://uproxx.com/sepinwall/the-leftovers-finale-carrie-coon-recap-interview/

quote:

But I assume you played it one way.

Yes, I did. However, the human capacity for self-delusion is very strong. And so regardless of whether the experience is true or not true, the brain believed what it believes. If you tell a lie enough times, you start to believe it. For me, I felt that no matter what I chose, it wouldn’t matter. It would play the same.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Klungar posted:

Lindelof did say that a John/Erika episode and a Tom/Jill episode would have happened if they had 10 episodes instead of 8.

It seems like they had a real tight budget which sucks. I saw where Lindelof talked about how money was so tight they couldn't pay for a new intro or theme.That's why they just kept using different songs on the same old intro.

You'd think with all the critical acclaim the show got that HBO would throw some more money at it in its final season.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

Nora was getting mad at people lying all episode long. She wouldn't let Kevin back because he was lying and she screamed at a nun for lying, so would she really lie to Kevin? Doesn't seem like it, but then again she got super enraged about the machine and then actually went and got in it, so maybe.

Everyone else was telling stories and making themselves feel better. The wedding was just a bunch of people having a ton of fun and engaging in silly rituals. Maybe by the end she realized that being this buzzkill wasn't the way to go. She decided to tell a new story about herself.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

JethroMcB posted:

Did you read the big Vulture piece? It sounds like HBO did give them a relatively healthy budget, all things considered (Nora's wig in the finale cost $10k, the LADR machine set was $100k, they built all of Grace's ranch exclusively for the production and had to dismantle it when they were done, etc.) Probably could have saved some if they didn't shoot in Australia, but I think that was worth it for the change of scenery.

I was going off an article earlier in the season.

http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/leftovers-theme-song-why-its-different-for-every-episode.html

quote:

“The pragmatic reality was that there was no money to do a new opening title sequence — we did two less episodes [this season],” Lindelof said, indicating that budget considerations were already tight going into the final season.

Feels like if you had to drop a bunch of series regulars, cut 2 episodes, and couldn't afford a new intro, maybe the budget wasn't as big as it should have been.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Would she really leave her kids to come back to this universe and live as a hermit? I mean I get her husband moved on but I'm sure her kids would like to have her around. That's why it feels like a lie to me.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Re-watching this show again and this was such a good scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqArJAc7j4Q

"Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I'm just finally glad we talked about it".

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

tomapot posted:

This is one series I'm going to come back to over and over again for a rewatch.

I recommend a rewatch. So much stuff I missed or didn't appreciate the first time through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Not sure if anyone saw this but Lindelof talks about what they might have done with more episodes. A Murphy-centric one and one that comes entirely from the perspective of Pillar Man sounds like it would be really good.

https://www.vox.com/2017/6/7/15751918/leftovers-finale-interview-damon-lindelof

• Locked thread