Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Saw the new thread and got excited, now I'm bummed that we have to wait until April. Looking forward to a binge watch before the new season starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

sticklefifer posted:

There's literally a scene in the finale where Jack's dad explains to him that the island was all real, but the place they're in now isn't. Yet I still have conversations with people I know who claim "it was such bullshit, they were in purgatory all along!"

Maybe that's what people mean when they say Lost broke people. The show broke their ability to believe what a TV show is telling them even when it's directly telling them something because they're too deep into their own theory.

Also his ex-wife showed up.

Can we spoiler the Lost ending stuff please.

Just kidding, we gave up on Lost after the 3rd or 4th season. Not sure if we'll ever go back and finish it up at this point.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

UmOk posted:

Should. One of the best TVs ever.

The time commitment is ridiculous though, it is something like 120 episodes. I ran up against the same thing with my West Wing rewatch, the tv seasons back then ran 18+ episodes. A lot harder than binging through today's 10 episode seasons. I'll probably get back to it one day, but so much other TV to get through first.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Last Chance posted:

e: I don't wanna talk about LOST anymore or justify why I like the finale. Back to The Leftovers:

Just finished Season 1, Episode 9, The One Where People Depart

Kidding of course, the episode's actually titled "The Garveys At Their Best." And it's really accurate. I'd forgotten they'd done an entire flashback episode in season one for some reason and this one's really great. I also hadn't realized that Kevin's little glimpses of happiness during his rendition of "Homeward Bound" in season two pretty much consisted of scenes from this pre/during-departure episode.

Kevin Sr.'s party is sweet, and it's fun seeing Matt cut loose and not really giving much of a poo poo about anything because of a cancer scare, I guess?

Obviously every character has serious problems, but there are moments of true happiness sprinkled throughout each of their stories and this entire hour serves as a nice contrast for the mega-grim poo poo that's about to transpire. I've always been impressed by this show's ability to create unease, and they do it very well here when you watch everyone's lives fall apart in slow motion lol.

I'm on a rewatch and "The Garveys At Their Best" is a great reframing of the series and perfectly placed in the progression of the episodes. I love how some of the facade stats to break down over time. Some great acting in there, especially between Laurie and Kevin.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Last Chance posted:

The last couple of episodes I've rewatched have featured Theroux jogging in his gray sweatpants which make the outline of his cock look like it's made from marble or stone.

It's funny how he charms some some Asian ladies gardening when he jogs past.

I was reading an interview with Carrie Coon and she jokingly said she thinks Lindelof puts Theroux through all these tough scenes (drowning, getting buried, shot, etc) because Lindelof is jealous of how devastatingly handsome he is.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I'm up to S2E5 otherwise known as Matt's very very very bad day.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

El Jeffe posted:

Is this the cavemen scene of season 3?

This is like that Harold Camping guy who kept predicting the end of the world and when it didn't happen would change the date.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Is that a big inflatable Gary Busey.

Edit: yes it is and where can I get one?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Oooh new intro song!

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

I love this show

It is so well written and acted that my heart keeps breaking for these charcters.

Grace from down under posted:

There is no message, and God doesn’t care about me. It’s all just a story I tell myself. It’s just a silly, stupid story. And I believed it because… I’ve gone a bit crazy, haven’t I?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Niwrad posted:

The acting was good and I understand what they tried to do. Kevin Sr Is just not a compelling character.

Have to disagree, might not have loved this episode like Nora's episodes but I dug Sr's journey. I kept wondering if he was onto something or just batshit and I'm willing to go along for the ride to find out.

Also, cultural appropriation is a crime?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Onomarchus posted:

Ann Dowd was in a movie called Compliance based on a true story.

Holy crap, yes that was a great movie.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Guys, I think I'm loosing it. I'm at my daughter's school concert and I think I'm seeing Evie.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
loving Matt episodes never fail to deliver.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Rewatching the last episode, the dialog between Matt and God is great. When God keeps answering "why?" over and over it reminds me of when a therapist tries to help a client get to an understanding The therapist knows the answer but tries to elicit the understanding and have the client reach their own awareness.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Last Chance posted:

From the season trailer in the OP that I've watched 1000x now:

We see Kevin Sr. dunk Jr. into a normal bathtub "If I could do this instead of you, I would", but then it cuts to Kevin underwater with the seesaw from the pond behind him, so either he goes under twice, or something interrupts the first attempt.

I noticed this as well.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I feel like I'm tripping.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

CodeJanitor posted:

LOL the thud when it slapped it down HAHAHA

Penis thwapping sound.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Hansen85 posted:

You don't think hosed up people in a hosed up relationship can love each other?

This is more the rule than the exception. Amazing how hosed up people (Alcoholic-enabler, abuser-codependent, etc.) find each other, it's like radar.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
Walking into the Dead & Co show at the Hollywood Bowl was much like that encampment outside Jardin.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
I don't know what the hell is going on.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler
OK, I'm good. Thank you Leftovers

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Last Chance posted:

I don't have a gif, but I like in the s2 finale when John says to Kev: "I killed you" and Kev just kinda dumbly replies ".. Nope."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=258ZtwjxxnU&t=105s

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

WrightOfWay posted:

Ann Dowd is so loving good.

This is one series I'm going to come back to over and over again for a rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Oven Wrangler

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Any Regina King fans should check out American Crime. It's a (now cancelled) anthology series, and she's on each season :allears:

Going back a bit she had done really strong scenes in Southland.

• Locked thread