Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I said come in! posted:

It's possible however super unlikely that he was built to not have an expiration date, but yeah I am going with he isn't a replicant. Could replicants even be built without an expiration date?

Theatrical cut said yes.

The thing I hope they go with is something brought up in the K.W. Jeter books, that the replicants are built off templates of human beings, that, like Rachel, they're sort of clones with added genetic engineering. That way, Deckard in the first film could still be a replicant but you have his template still around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

The Deckard in this film is a real person, the template that the Deckard in Blade Runner is based on. So not the same version as the one we saw in the original.

Theoretically.

Exactly. IIRC, the Jeter books the Nexus templates were either exceptional people (the "templant" for Roy was apparently some crazy special forces guy with weird pain centers in his brain they copied who shows up in the book) or scrubs that signed their rights away. Or, in Rachel's case, a clone or what they call a "persynth" of Tyrell's niece. The "persynths" idea kind of brought back from PKD's book, with the police station manned entirely by replicants and that the replicants are slowly replacing humanity.

Neo Rasa posted:

This is basically correct. What we glean from all versions of the movie is that the replicants sort of start to lose it after about four years, so the four year lifespan is built into them to help keep them from revolting.

But of course as the movie progresses we realize it's less that they "lose it" and more that around age four they start to develop a natural range of emotions beyond what's initially programmed into them, and those new emotions tend to lead to "why am I not being treated the same as any other person." Why was I created only to do lovely work, etc.

It explains why the four replicants start acting in opposite ways, with Zhora being the sex show stripper, Pris becoming more conniving and downright brutal toward men, Leon's pictures displaying an artistic soul, and of course, Roy's empathy in saving Deckard at the end.

Neo Rasa posted:

It gets a little muddy though in an interesting way because in all versions of the movie Tyrell and Batty have a pretty accurate conversation that implies that they literally cannot create a Nexus 6 replicant that can live longer than four years. We don't learn with certainty whether Tyrell is full of poo poo or not but in the theatrical version they say Rachel is special and has no life limit which we assume means she'll age and eventually die the same as a human would.

More like Tyrell can't alter what is already put in place, the genetic killswitch is something that they can't get rid of once the replicant has left the development stage. Presumably, it could simply be left out of special one-off models like Rachel. I would also say that, in the opening text crawl, that the "four-year lifespan" killswitch was imposed following the replicant uprisings, so it probably stands to reason that those pre-uprising replicants had normal human lifespans prior to being wiped out and Tyrell implanting the killswitch.

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 20, 2016

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Related question: which one ends with the "it's a pity you won't live -- but then again, who does?" monologue and the unicorn charm?

That's the one I've seen and I'd like to know if my vague recollection of it is of the good cut or not. :v:

Actually, "It's too bad she won't live - but then again, who does?"

But yeah, that's either Director's or Final Cut.

I really think all the cuts are good and have something worthwhile. I'm wholly of the opinion that the theatrical cut's exposition track added something to the whole film noir ambiance. I don't even buy the excuse that Harrison Ford sounded bored while doing them, the voiceover matched the whole "cold fish" wandering apathy of Deckard. There's some great lines in that voiceover that it's a shame they're lost like tears in rain.

So, really, you should watch the theatrical version followed by the Final Cut.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

A Deacon posted:

I have a feeling that this movie is just going to be a futuristic John Wick.

So, it will finally live up to the promise of the comic book adaptation's cover...

It makes it look like a Bond movie. I love Deckard's high kick and the inclusion of some guys from the street scenes, except they now have guns, to spice things up.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

I know the movie didn't do well and was semi-forgotten until the director's cut leaked but dang. We finally got an awesome Blade Runner game in 1998.

I think you underestimating the original theatrical cut's appeal. It might not have been a box office success, but it was enough of a cult hit once it reach cable and VHS. And like MonsieurChoc brought up, a lot of video games and anime, but it influenced film design, fashion, club life, architecture, etc. William Gibson was developing "Neuromancer" and it's said that after watching the first 20 minutes, he got depressed and rewrote the first two-thirds because he felt people would have think he copied the film's visuals.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

The presence of Villanueve and Fancher are what's keeping me from declaring this a total mess outright. I'm just skeptical of this movie's ability to not get destroyed by committee, it's kind of a perfect storm of circumstances that even led to the first Blade Runner being the kind of movie it was.

I would actually prefer David Peeples over Fancher, to be honest.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

But it also seems just as relevant, Tyrell is a cold braniac, oblivious to any of the implications of what he's done beyond them making an even more advanced servant, but when you look at the way Silicon Valley douchebags talk about themselves and their visions today, like, what we see of Leto is exactly what someone with the money and space would do if we got so advanced that someone could straight up create life on par with the replicants we see in Blade Runner. Again I'm blind to the movie outside of the trailers and the old rumors but the way we see him here feels more like the logical endpoint of where Tyrell would be going if he didn't get killed.

Who said Tyrell actually was killed? :tinfoil:

One of the things that was planned but never filmed was Batty going to Sebastian after killing Tyrell and asking where the real Tyrell was. At which point, Sebastian would take him to a cryogenic crypt and show him the real Tyrell, suspended in a transparent sarcophagus over liquid nitrogen, the implication that Tyrell was long dead yet continuing to live on in Tyrell replicants. Even the BR easter egg in Prometheus hints at this, with Weyland talking of a "mentor and long-departed competitor" looking for the secret of immortality through "genetic abominations" "implanted with false memories".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

hyphz posted:

Yea, worry about Fancher, not Villeneuve. And worry double if Fancher is basing on Jeter.

I've maintained since they announced the screenplay that they picked the wrong screenwriter to return. David Webb Peoples is so much more celebrated (Unforgiven, anyone?) and many of the small details that made Blade Runner are owed to him (like the term "replicant" and Roy and Tyrell's dialogue came from a conversation with Peoples' daughter, a UCLA biochemistry grad)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

So, apparently, this dropped yesterday. Clip from the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41YwCsjassk

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Joe Chill posted:

Peoples also worked on 12 Monkeys, another great sf movie. Hearing that Peoples is not involved with the sequel is a big downer for me.

He also wrote and direct cult favorite Blood Of Heroes with Rutger Hauer and gave something for Wasteland Weekenders to do instead of just be Burning Man with Mad Max cosplay. I can definitely understand the appeal of Jugger, since me and a bunch of my friends played that with boffer weapons and a soccer ball when that movie came out on video.

Also, wrote the adaptation for Soldier, which is a Blade Runner sequel with all the serial numbers rubbed off.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Because it wouldn't be a Warner Bros. genre production without an anime tie-in, Shinichiro Watanabe of Cowboy Bebop fame is making a Blade Runner anime short.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wsxBzfmwVY

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

feedmyleg posted:

Just wanted to say, this thread title makes me giggle every time every time I see it.

It reminds me of that scene in Blazing Saddles when Bart is riding into town except this time it's "skinjob", since we all know what the person who'd use that word would call black people back then.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

I would like very much if you could possibly dig up where these prop maker forum posts about blade runner style tumblers were

From my understanding, those glasses are made by an Italian maker of crystalware, Arnolfo di Cambio, and the Cibi design predates the film by 9 years. Obviously, BR nerds have kept those tumblers alive in their catalog for decades now, but they probably would still be making them even if there wasn't a movie that featured them.

The only replica I've seen is a 3D printable version on Shapeways for $75 per tumbler made of white plastic, $220! if made from transparent acrylic. You're just better off buying the Cibi tumblers from a retailer.

BTW, I said that those tumblers are a design called Cibi, well, they offer a whole set of them for your bar.

From left to right: highball glass, double tumbler, tumbler, and vodka/shot glass. They offer them in version from $150-$200 a pair of glasses.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Replicants are killed in mob violence by human supremacists.

Also, a single Replicant murders a platoon of armored and armed security guards barehanded.

:thunk:

Like, seriously, something doesn't add up here.

Another point, why even disable the lifespan limit? The original movie even states the four-year lifespan is to prevent them from forming their own emotions that eventually causes them to question themselves and go rogue.

In addition R.I.P. Gaff

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

It absolutely does add up. We see a similar disparity in physical prowess and strength between the replicants in the original because they're all grown with different capacities for power, intelligence, etc. depending on their purpose and intended specialization. During the breifing scene in the original the ones introduced to us even have serial numbers and designations on screen that are consistent with that.

True, but even Pris was dangerous. Her background working in military clubs supposedly equaled to her having some sort of combat ability, which is why she initially kicked Deckard's rear end. And, even in the short, the slim and tiny hookeroid picks up and throws out a 300-400 pound trucker onto the street from a moving vehicle and then tears through a car loads of armed security guards.

It feels like they're trying to make the replicants too sympathetic by adding random vigilante mobs instead of just relying on the futuristic version of the Antebellum South's night watch and fugitive slave trackers, RepDetect. I think that replicants shouldn't be something ordinary citizens would tangle with. That's why they have the blade runners. I feel that they should be like time bombs, with specialized police dealing with them like bomb squad (or, if you believe the "Deckard's a replicant" theory, a bomb disposal robot).

Penpal posted:

The best thing about the short was seeing a tiny anime Dave Bautista portrait.

That was the best thing. It also hints that his character is older than he looks.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cheesus posted:

Capitalism 101.

"Tyrell Corp, I understand your reasoning for the lifespan limit. However, the cost of buying new replicants every four years risks my bonu--I mean, is prohibitively expensive! We're buying armies to fight offworld wars, for chrissakes! Either lower your price or increase their lifespan!"

I thought it odd that so many have said they dislike this short. I felt it was better than the other two, captured the spirit of the original movie perfectly, and was easy to follow. I could watch and entire movie of this.

Like planned obsolescence isn't a tenet of modern late-stage capitalism.

And if they got a particularly exceptional example, Tyrell would just clone the hell out of them and use implanted memories in Roy Batty 2.0 and future iteration.

Speaking of which, I found it an unique absence that Blackout 2022 didn't have a Nexus 7.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

That would match with the conversation Batty and Tyrell have. The technobabble is actually fairly accurate for what they're talking about. The replicants are precisely engineered robots but are "grown" rather than "built." Scott says as much on various commentary tracks.

DADES and the original Fancher script stated them as "androids". Both "replicants" and that whole Tyrell-Batty dialogue came from David Webb Peoples and his daughter, who was a UCLA biochemistry undergrad. I believe replicant came from her discussing cell division and referring to the result of the process as replicant.

Neo Rasa posted:

When they talk about extending their lives the conversation is about preventing the degeneritive ecfects of their cells dying off suddenly (compared to a human) and how this group of Nexus 6es are so delicately designed that even a small modification might extend life for a bit but result in weird degenerative side effects that would be as bad/worse than just coming to a full stop. There's no memory transfer or anything like that, each one is a unique being, which is kind of the point of the story.

Memory implants are a thing in Blade Runner. Rachel has implanted memories from Tyrell's niece. While it's not conscious transfer in transhuman fiction, it would give the resemblance of a continuity of memory to an external observer.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah but nothing about the terms "android," "robot," etc. strictly means "built with copper wiring and circuit boards." The book itself goes with that too. The only 100% way to know if someone is an android in the book is to take a sample of their bone marrow and have a test run on it in a lab.

There's a huge gap between memory implants and what some people in the thread are suggesting that one's entire collective thought can be copy/pasted 1:1 into a new body just vecause that would change the instant the new person starts perceiving anything. I'd say that Rachel's situation is pretty different from that. I got the impression that a lot of impactful things from early childhood were placed in her and the rest was her mind filling in the gaps based on that (just since the replicants in the movie enter the world as adults).

I'm not sure if we can bring up apocryphal material, but there was a plotline that was deleted in BR, but you can still find bits in the Syd Mead book or the Final Cut extras that Eldon Tyrell was long dead, stuffed in a cryogenic sarcophagus over a pool of liquid nitrogen, and a replicant or replicants of him, presumably with memory implants, was running things while he awaited for "him" or his scientists to unlock immortality for him.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

d0grent posted:

If there was a physiological difference between replicants and humans, there would be no point for the voight kampff test they do on them.

There's definitely some, considering that both Leon and Pris intentionally expose themselves to extreme temperatures without ill effect. I know in the Marvel comic adaptation, which used elements from the script, Bryant says that Roy Batty, "the crowning achievement of the free enterprise system", had been in "the plutonium furnaces of the Argentine Moons" and did "deep space runs at 800 below in nothing but a cowboy suit".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

*It's not mentioned in the movie, but an interesting detail Scott mentions on the commentaries is that the "tattoos" on Roy's chest are the interface points into which powered armor for combat in space would be plugged into his organs.

FWIH, it was a battle plan, star map, or something so Roy could have a reference point by looking down.

He also has this "penguin sparrow" tat on his shoulder.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Syllables posted:

My cinema replayed the original blade runner to hype up 2049. Was great to see it on the big screen one more time before watching 2049.

probably going to watch it on friday

Last year, me and a group of friends saw The Final Cut in theaters. I had heard that Warner Bros. pulled the title from repertory circulation until after 2049 comes out.

It's sad, because I'm pretty sure a 6 hour double feature of Blade Runner and BR2049 would do wonders.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

pospysyl posted:

For me, the only weak spot of the original Blade Runner was Deckard and his relationship with Rachel. The Metropolis trope always rubs me the wrong way, and Blade Runner plays it to the hilt. (The problem is somewhat mitigated if Deckard is himself a replicant, but only somewhat.) 2049 also has a Metropolis love story with Joi, but I like that it seems to acknowledge the inherent misogyny of the trope. All of Joi's posters say stuff like "Made for you!" or "Everything you want to hear!", which is a little on the nose, but a far cry from the naive sincerity of the original. But there are layers to it beyond the posters. The first time we see Joi it's as a subservient housewife, and she has nothing but flattery for K. The sex scene is cool too. At first, it seems like a ham-fisted way to expand the theme of not recognizing reality. It's difficult to discern Joi's genuine affection for K from Mariette's professional detachment, even though they're doing pretty much the same thing. However, cutting to the Joi poster reminds us that Joi's love is just as artificial as Mariette's if not more so. I think the Joi subplot is one of the most genuinely dystopic aspects of the whole Blade Runner setting. It's pretty good, but I haven't seen Her, which probably covers similar territory.

Ironically, whereas everything aside from the love story in Blade Runner is great, anything apart from the Joi plot in 2049 is lame from a writing and character perspective. The trouble is that there's no Roy Batty in 2049, a character with a clear moral stance and goal. K is on a mission of self-discovery, which is fine, but it's not a story that's going to produce something as captivating as Roy's encounters with Tyrell and Deckard, especially since it turns out that there's very little to actually discover.

The closest is Luv and I was hoping that she would have some sort of break from her conditioning or some realization like Batty. I was kind of hoping that ending fight would have had K spare her on the verge of drowning, only for her to return the favor and spare both him and Deckard. Probably end with her reporting back to Wallace, lying about everything, and then cutting his throat mid-speech while he's monologuing.

Regarding Joi, I'm still not quite sure if she was on the up-and-up. I know someone taking the whole scene with the billboard Joi talking to K was taking as K comparing her to his Joi, but I just thought that Joi was always plant or spy for Wallace, and the billboard incident was him realizing that he was always manipulated by Wallace.

pospysyl posted:

Speaking of Tyrell, Jared Leto pales in comparison to Joe Turkell, and Villenevue's insistence on shooting him like Dr. Claw is ridiculous. For all of Wallace's Biblical allusions and loquacious metaphors, he's really just a stock megalomaniac who wants more slaves to make more money so that he can achieve his vision of godhood. Tyrell, on the other hand, has this perverse love for his creations, wanting them to be as perfect as they can be even as he's condemned them to a life of servitude and despair. He has a grandiose vision that actually matters to the central characters of the movie, but despite his genius he's a venal creature.

The differences between Tyrell and Wallace are a perfect microcosm of the 2049 script's preference for complexity over nuance. Both movies have lyrical (if sometimes awkward) dialogue and dense worldbuilding, but whereas Blade Runner tells an ultimately simple story with themes and characters that are difficult to grapple with, 2049 features a winding breadcrumb trail full of stock characters that ultimately doesn't make a whole lot of sense with themes that seem complicated at first, but that are easily resolved diegetically.

Wallace was disappointing to me, too. Tyrell obviously wants to be the god of biomechanics, perhaps even an immortal one, but, with Wallace, he could have been a head in a jar or a hologram dictating orders to Luv for as much as the film cares. Probably would be better if Luv reported to an Evangelion-style SEELE monoliths, glowing holographic text, or some abstract representation for really all that Wallace mattered. For pretty much the movie, Luv was the lead villain, not Wallace. Also, for all his talk of slavery, it would have been better if they had gone with the whole emulation of the Antebellum South from the book and have him speak with a Southern accent, dressed up like Colonel Sanders or DiCaprio from Django Unchained

WMain00 posted:

I'm quite sure he does because it's suppose to be in homage to Batty's death (I heard someone whisper in the audience "Time to die" and smiled a little)

Oh yeah, it definitely is. He's literally crying in precipitation, tears in (frozen) rain.

Although, the thing I was joking to myself about is that type of torso wound both takes a poo poo-long time to die from (thanks Reservoir Dogs) and has a good recovery rate given proper medical treatment

IMB posted:

One thing I don't get about the new replicants (like K) ... why do they even bother giving them memories if all the new replicants know they're replicants and know their memories are fake?

They have mental conditioning now. The four-year lifespan was removed for unexplained reasons and later product lines had the memory implants, which obviously didn't work since they still rebelled. The Nexus Dawn short has Wallace demonstrating this. It's why Luv sheds a tear when she kills someone or witnesses something like Wallace opening up the replicant, the conditioning is suppressing her emotions. It's also the whole point of the Baseline test, since it brings up a bunch of words that have an emotional context that has to be said rote and without effect.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

A lot of the premise of 2049 is based on a sentence of dialogue that is only in the Theatrical cut

Also, Theatrical Cut shows Deckard and Rachel clearly escaping by going to the Overlook, as well as the narration mentioning her non-limited life span (not that it matters). Both the Director's Cut and Final Cut ending on the elevator makes the whole thing ambiguous. You're not sure with those cuts if they get away or Gaff is waiting in the lobby ready to pop both of them.

Thus, Theatrical Cut is canon.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AwkwardKnob posted:

In this movie's defense - not that it needs it really - I have been reading that theater attendance is way, way down in the USA over the past few years. It's not necessarily this movie specifically, it's all movies.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/summer-box-office-2017-alien-king-arthur-blues-guardians-galaxy-revenue-down-2016-1006020

It's down 10% this year, and was already at a 19 year low in 2015. So no, I don't see it as being a huge correlation to this movie's run-time. It's a symptom of cord-cutting culture and the theater experience generally being total poo poo for most folks.

I'm going to admit, this and Guardians Vol. 2 was the only movies I saw this year. I was a bit concerned with BR2049 because of the 3 hour runtime, but my mosquito's bladder held for the entire length. It was long, but it wasn't boring.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Berke Negri posted:

Its been awhile since I read the book but what I recall is while not a scam living off world is just a different kind of lovely. Space is not easy to colonize and is boring and the robot slaves do everything.

For the movies, its even more vague (for the better I think). It's clear everyone wants to go off world (Blade Runner's earth is beyond hosed and pretty much past the point of saving) but there's hints that it is by no means a utopia as you have replicants fighting wars all over the stars and used as slaves and routinely rebelling. For the humans that can qualify to go off world its probably better than staying home but just as messed up society.

In DADES, the New America colony on Mars is advertised like this...

quote:

The TV set shouted, " — duplicates the halcyon days of the pre-Civil War Southern states! Either as body servants or tireless field hands, the custom-tailored humanoid robot designed specifically for YOUR UNIQUE NEEDS, FOR YOU AND YOU ALONE — given to you on your arrival absolutely free, equipped fully, as specified by you before your departure from Earth; this loyal, trouble-free companion in the greatest, boldest adventure contrived by man in modern history will provide — " It continued on and on.

I was not joking that Jared Leto should have played Neander Wallace as if he was a Southern dandy.

Neo Rasa posted:

This is true, though earth is much more depopulated in the book, and it implies that basically anyone not wealthy enough to travel to space regularly or get a job colonizing offworld is a loser is some way.

Yeah, the Sebastian analog in the book is John Isidore, who is a low-IQ "chickenhead" that takes in Pris, Roy, and Roy's wife, Irmgard. There's also an interview with a recent immigrant to New America who her and her husband were terrified of not passing the tests to travel to Mars and it's said that her husband wore a lead codpiece to protect from radiation damage.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Serf posted:

I think that the replicant leader is just using that as a cover. It keeps her conveniently in one place, affords her access to the replicant memory program and provides her with a relatively safe location.

Also, I'm rewatching Blade Runner and another mirror of the Deckard meets Rachel/K meets Luv thing is that Rachel asks Deckard "Can I ask you a personal question?"

It would also keep her from getting DNA tagged, popping up in facial recognition, or other surveillance state shenanigans if she was sequestered away.

Speaking of which, going with the whole special-not special theme in the film, did anyone else recognize that the horse was actually an unicorn? When we get a good shot of the front of it, the there's a nub on it's forehead, like there was a horn there but was broken off or carved off.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

KyloWinter posted:

The whole movie falls apart within the first 20 minutes when we are shown that replicants are made of DNA base pairs.

Yeah, the thing that got me during that whole scene was that scientists recently in the last five years been able to create synthetic Unnatural Base Pairs by using amino acids other than guanine, cytosine, adenine. and thymine.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Myrmidongs posted:

I really, really enjoyed this movie. Did not care for Zimmer's score. It had no character, just a lot of loud as poo poo BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA that in a few scenes actually distracted me from them.

Agreed.

It was particularly unnecessary when K is walking up through the women statues toward the beehive. I think there would be a lot more tension if the score was absent for most of Las Vegas

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Kaddish posted:

My wife had the same complaints regarding the T&A. My feeble attempt to defend this is that the world of mega-city LA is one of the lowest common denominator. It's a world of control and catering to base instincts.

You should have retorted that "you got to see Dave Batista's wang in the Wallace Corp scene!"

No, it seems to be a common enough complaint that criticism is being written about it. I think my friends latched on to Luv as a counterpoint to all the sexism in the film.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

BumbleChump posted:

Thank you. I missed the part where she said that implanting real memories is illegal. I was under the impression that it wasn't, since Rachel was the latest and greatest Tyrell model with experimental memory implants, I assumed that memory implants had become a standard thing in newer replicants like K.

I thought what was said was implanting memories into a human was illegal. K already acknowledges that he has memory implants when he even brings up the story, it's just that he's in his "I'm a real boy" phase of the deception. It's what why he thinks he's Rachael's son from that point on.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

QuoProQuid posted:

Pale Fire is a book about a 999-line poem, written by a fictional, recently deceased poet, with extensive commentary by one of his friends and collaborators. The friend's commentary starts off detached and academic but becomes increasingly deranged and disjointed as the book progresses. Eventually, the commentary consumes the original poem and the "friend" is revealed to be a narcissistic lunatic who believes that he is an exiled king and the inspiration of the poem itself. The friend is obsessed by what he thinks is a missing final line in the poem, telling the reader that it should be 1,000 lines long and not 999. (The poem's format suggests that this should be the case. The final line breaks off abruptly.)

At the heart of Pale Fire is a poem, also titled Pale Fire, that tells the story of the poet's life. The poet is a successful and celebrated writer who married his childhood sweetheart and had a daughter who he loved more than anything. At some point before the poem was written, the poet's daughter, Hazel, committed suicide by drowning herself. This fact utterly consumes him and leaves his old self nothing more than “a smudge of ashen fluff.” He is dead without dying, living through a world that is both real and unreal.

Some time after his Hazel's death, the poet has his own near-death experience when he collapses in the middle of a lecture. While half-dead, he sees:

A system of cells interlinked within
Cells interlinked within cells interlinked
Within one stem. And dreadfully distinct
Against the dark, a tall white fountain played.

He becomes obsessed with the image of a "tall white fountain" and believes that he has seen proof of life after death. He does extensive investigative work and connects with a woman who told a magazine reporter that she also saw a "tall white fountain" after a near-death experience. He tracks down the woman, expecting some kind of transcendent experience but the woman turns out to be a disappointment. The poet connects with the journalist who wrote the story, who reveals that there was a misprint. The woman saw a "tall white mountain" and not a "fountain." There was never any deep connection proving the existence of souls and the afterlife. There is no proof that he will ever reunite with his daughter. It was all just a coincidence.

Instead of collapsing into despair, the discovery galvanizes him. He recognizes that humanity is just a plaything of the gods and that it is better to keep some things hidden. There are things he can know ("I'm reasonably sure that we survive / And that my darling somewhere is alive") without ever having proof of them. He ends the poem rejecting the grand artifices that he once relied on and aspires to accept the quiet continuities of life ("Some neighbor's gardener, I guess--goes by").

This loving movie.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Speaking of Russian stuff. Were the junk yard raiders speaking russian?

It also looks like the Soviet Union never collapsed, because of the hologram of the ballerina being advertised as "Soviet Happy, built in the CCCP".

Given the prostitutes speak in Russian, does that mean there's some Russian equivalent of Tyrell/Wallace Corp?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

starkebn posted:

there's no indication in either film how replicants are "constructed" right? In the first film you see the "eye-guy" say that he made their eyes, but do they have to be made and then installed? Or is him "making their eyes" him experimenting with the genetic code until he gets it right and can pass that on to Tyrell? Same with Sebastian saying he worked on their hands.

I have always thought they were an accelerated vat grown system, so basically just genetically tinkered humans in every respect, not something that is stitched together like Frankenstein's monster.

I don't think either film shows for sure though.

I think they've always had them grown, although having individual tissues like bones, muscle, etc. grown in cultures then assembled like an automobile is definitely not out of the realm of possibility. I don't anyone at the time had thought about it, but it's something that's would become possible with advances in tissue engineering. It also makes repairs from injury easy if you have all these replicants tissue both in reserve and on demand. Roy Batty loses an arm or gets a lung punctured in combat, here's a new one already custom grown to spec.

Also, I like to point out that Sebastian apparently has a woman stashed in his bathtub. You can only really see her clearly in the opening montage to Dangerous Days, but you see her leg popping up out of a bathtub in the fight between Deckard and Roy, right after he runs his head through the wall. None of them acknowledge her, it's just some weird poo poo that's going on in the background. I've wondered who she is, if she's one of Sebastian's toys and the bathtub is some sort of DIY garage home vat. Or maybe she's a homeless woman and Sebastian was using her for as a growth vat.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

In this case we can count:
Blade Runner
Blade Runner: 2049
Kill Bill Volume 2
Raising Arizona
RoboCop
Terminator 2: Judgment Day
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning
Universal Soldier: Regeneration

But we cannot count:
Iron Man
Marked for Death

I want to say Albert Pyun's Nemesis, but I don't know if cyborgs mouseholing through walls with a .50 caliber machinegun counts as this.

Nemesis is also where the "shoot your gun into the floor and fall through a building" trope comes from.

Oh, and The Matrix counts as Morpheus is the one who throws himself through a wall to get a SWAT team member, who then turns into Mr. Smith.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Nemesis is an incredible movie everyone should see so I appreciate you bringing it up here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZDrTylco1o

For all the movies Albert Pyun have made that are really low budget or bad though, Nemesis looks and is awesome, but I have to question his decision on something. Like a lot of movies there was a making of featurette thing for this back in the day, and in it we see a part where a character is evading explosive gunfire on a rooftop, he leaps onto a storm drain to climb down the side of the building but because of all the stuff going on the drain de-attaches from the building and the stunt person stays at the top of it as the entire thing slowly tips off the side of the building while stuff is exploding and hangs onto it until just before it hits the ground and he jumps off. That's badass and this is all done in a single shot, it looks awesome.

In the actual movie it's edited in such way that it looks fake as poo poo. :laffo:

In much the same way Radioactive Dreams (and not to mention Road To Hell) couldn't have happened without Streets Of Fire, Nemesis is unabashedly a love letter to Blade Runner. Oh, it's a rip-off alright, but Albert Pyun wears that on the film's sleeve.

Neo Rasa posted:

There's a part where a young Thomas Jane is talked up like he's some super dangerous espionage guy that's not to be hosed with but then he gets his cover blown like a chump and is strangled literally one minute later. That woman in the trailer that says "He should DIE for what he's done!" Her characters name is MAX DAMAGE. How loving awesome is that. This movie rules.

You also see Thomas Jane's nude butt.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ubiquitous_ posted:

It just kind of clicked that the Tyrell family name in Game of Thrones... is a Blade Runner reference.

If it wasn't obvious that it's a homage to Blade Runner, their sigil is an owl.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'm not even saying it needed driving pulsing beats like a lot of Perturbator's music has, just that the atmosphere that those artists clearly have a handle on nailing seems more appropriate for a setting like Blade Runner's than what Hans Zimmer is capable of.

I think one of the biggest things that Perturbator has going for him is that not all his music is like that. "Last Kiss" and "Minuit" from "Dangerous Days", "Souls at Zero" from "Uncanny Valley", and "End Theme" from "Terror 404" are all built as slow, building atmospheric songs, not these rhythmic pulsing synth tracks. The fact he goes out of his way to not sound like typical synthwave is why I think he's got a good future.

However, I think he still needs some room to grow. Much of "Uncanny Valley" started sounding too similar, "Disco Inferno" with "She Moves Like A Knife" in particular, IMO.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

AdmiralViscen posted:

The message is that the people who choose to dehumanize people who seem pretty human are pieces of poo poo. The audience is not meant to see Luv's destruction of the emitter as the same as breaking a chair.

This is one of the parts I miss the most about the expository voice over in the theatrical cut: the comment about Bryant and that skinjob is the equivalent to a racial epithet. There's probably no clearer example than that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I didn't think it was that bad, the only scene in the whole movie that I felt was bad was when he kills the newborn replicant. I mean it was neat to see a replicant being born and I understand they needed a way to frame the exposition of Wallace's plan, but the murder was gratuitous and it's only purpose seemed to be to demonstrate to the audience, that yes, Wallace is evil, which should have been obvious already.

Also it reminded me of this scene from Lynch's Dune. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWq15lDh8yM

I thought it would be more appropriate if the newborn survived and just stood their ignoring the pain. That's a lovely-rear end genetic engineered product that if can't take an abdominal wound to a bunch of non-functional organs.

The 2019 Blaster is there for a reason and it's demonstrated more than once that it takes more than one shot to take one down (unless it's a direct head shot like Leon, and even then Batty was fairly unphased getting his ear blown off by Deckard). Or maybe the Tyrell stuff is made of stern stuff than Wallace's products. Tyrell version of Luv could probably breathe vacuum for a short time, she'd be like Jason Voorhees in that fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Krazyface posted:

Is the sun ever visible in this movie?

I recall some daylight peaking through the windows in the morning after the sex scene, but I do not recall ever seeing a sun disc anywhere.

• Locked thread