Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Brosnan posted:

I saw the Director's Cut when I was probably too young to really appreciate it (I think the lack of v/o made it harder for me to follow back then), so I need to give it a go as an adult. I assume the Final Cut also drops the exposition?

Yeah, both are great, so whichever you can get your hands on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Scott's always been hit-and-miss, it's nothing new. Obviously he's never gonna touch his run of The Duellists-Alien-Blade Runner, but Matchstick Men, Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut, Prometheus, The Martian and Alien: Covenant are all great, and I'd even go to bat for the interesting oddities that are Hannibal, Exodus and The Counselor.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

It's beautiful and incredibly watchable, yeah.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mister Kingdom posted:

I have never seen any of his movies, so I think I'll survive.

He's one of the best directors working today. You should check him out.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Mister Kingdom posted:

Looking at his filmography, I see nothing that interests me.

That's a shame. Incendies, Enemy and Sicario are all-timers, Prisoners and Arrival are great as well.

I've heard got things about Polytechnique as well but I haven't been able to bring myself to watch it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Yeah

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon posted:

There's something so stifling about the film. Claustrophobic. I feel many of the films of the 80s feel like this. Robocop. Batman.
They're all very creepy. Depicting depressing run-down futures that feature brutalist architecture and complete moral breakdown of society.
What is it about the 80s that made this so loving commonplace?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Vegetable posted:

I'm all for trailers misrepresenting films to get butts in seats. Spring Breakers owes its box office to some trailer trickery.

Same. I like when trailers trick people into seeing a good movie and then they get mad about it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Arrival is probably my least-favourite Villeneuve, but I still like it. Sicario and Enemy are the all-timers.

General Battuta posted:

I'm really uninterested in a sequel focusing on the Brolin/Benicio Del Toro pair (I wrote this as Brolin/Guillermo Del Toro which I *would* watch the hell out of)

Another Detective Loki movie seems like the way more interesting Villeneuve continuation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

I thought Leto did a fine job. Another actor may have done a better job, but he only really has two scenes so I didn't mind. Like, of course I'd go with Bowie or Jeffrey Combs (well-spotted, Blast Fantasto) over Leto, but he works a lot better in these kinds of roles than stuff like Dallas Buyers Club.

• Locked thread