Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Young Freud posted:

More like Tyrell can't alter what is already put in place, the genetic killswitch is something that they can't get rid of once the replicant has left the development stage. Presumably, it could simply be left out of special one-off models like Rachel. I would also say that, in the opening text crawl, that the "four-year lifespan" killswitch was imposed following the replicant uprisings, so it probably stands to reason that those pre-uprising replicants had normal human lifespans prior to being wiped out and Tyrell implanting the killswitch.

Exactly, Roy wants a killswitch already in place to be removed, which Tyrell says is impossible (though he might also be a huge liar.)

Never installing the killswitch in the first place is a different thing that is never addressed in the director's cut/final cut that I remember (but the lovely theatrical ending says is what they did with Rachel.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

I thought Deckard was a Replicant, why is hr old now?

1) Ford could be playing the human that the replicant Deckard was a copy of, rather than Deckard himself. Recall that Rachel was a prototype with implanted memories taken from an actual human being; she was basically a carbon copy of Tyrell's niece.
2) Deckard could simply have not had a life span limit, like the theatrical cut says Rachel didn't have. The replicants are genetically engineered, so they might just age like normal people anyway if you don't have them automatically die in 4 years.
3) Some other explanation could be made up for it, I dunno?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I want this to look and sound rad as gently caress, and anything else is gravy. On that front the trailer is promising. As far as plot... ehhhh who knows.

Also I need to go watch the Final Cut on blu-ray again.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

I've been very down on this movie from the beginning but this trailer looks pretty good to me, honestly.

As for anybody trying to suss out what the story is going to be, trailers like these are so misleading that it could literally be about anything, and are often deliberately cut to appear more action-y.

Just like the original! :v:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Danger posted:

Welp just read a review this morning that drops a pretty big spoiler right at the outset. If that sort of thing bothers you, you may want to avoid.

Which review?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

exquisite tea posted:

Blade Runner is only two hours long. Every big dumb comic book movie of the past 10 years has a longer runtime and worse pacing.

There have been so few sci-fi movies that aren't just action movies with a different backdrop in the last 30 years that I think some people can't wrap their heads around how it's in the future, but not pew-pew jokey joke all the time.

I just re-watched the Final Cut version last night, it's not a fast paced movie or anything but it's hardly OMG SOOOOOOOO SLOW either.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

This might seem like a very random question, but is there any animal cruelty in this film?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Joi was a tool for manipulation and control, that manipulated both K and the audience into caring about it, and convinced K to believe things that made K feel better (and us feel better for cleverly seeing the twist before Joi spelled it out "needlessly," that wasn't really the twist after all), and was then bluntly revealed to be a tool for manipulation with a big naked hologram.

None of this strikes me as a problem.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I admit my thoughts about the film are pretty shallow because I just saw it and am still digesting it. My take on replicants vs. Joi so far is basically this:

1) Flesh and blood people who are only "not-people" because of elaborately constructed distinctions are still people. Blade Runner just makes this super literal in the construction of the people because, well, sci-fi movie.
2) Your iPhone is not a person just because Siri sounds nice in a way that makes you want to gently caress it, it's a product made with slaves (which Blade Runner makes super literal because... that's just how poo poo actually works) that's made that way so it sells.

Losing his attachment to Joi was part of K's path to really becoming a person. She drops out of the movie because ultimate she's just a thing that got broken.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

I'm not sure how I feel about Wallace, he almost seems superfluous, but maybe that's kinda the point - the specific "villain" doesn't matter since capitalism will always make more. Tyrell dead so what, you just get another greed freak with slightly different pretensions of godhood.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Showing that capitalism will destroy the world and we're all going to eat recycled maggots is utopian to you because your brain is broke real bad.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 14, 2017

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Blunt in Sicario is as constrained by her own ideology as she is by the chauvanistic world she enters. She wants to be a cop fighting the drug war "ethically"...it's laughable. In the feminist version of the film, she'd quit her job and join a nonprofit or something.

Does the movie agree with her ideology, or is the point that she's constrained by her ideology? If it's the latter than I don't think that makes the film not-feminist. That just makes it about somebody who, from a feminist perspective, is looking at things the wrong way. Which seems like a fine subject for a feminist film actually.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

You could read his ouvre as educational films about women for men, if you were so inclined.

I have a dumb pet theory that Pacific Rim is this, aimed at the boys who will think a giant robot movie is rad.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

Scott is just a person who is always gonna have a strong opinion, that's just his personality. And he's never been shy about saying "we're doing it this way because I'm the loving director and I say that's how we're doing it". So I wouldn't take it personally if I were Villanueve.

They both argued in public over the original while promoting this one and neither one seemed to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Well, I finally watched it.

It wasn't good. It was just so...sterile and lifeless.

What everyone said about Blade Runner in the 80s.

• Locked thread