Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Young Freud posted:

Actually, "It's too bad she won't live - but then again, who does?"

But yeah, that's either Director's or Final Cut.

I really think all the cuts are good and have something worthwhile. I'm wholly of the opinion that the theatrical cut's exposition track added something to the whole film noir ambiance. I don't even buy the excuse that Harrison Ford sounded bored while doing them, the voiceover matched the whole "cold fish" wandering apathy of Deckard. There's some great lines in that voiceover that it's a shame they're lost like tears in rain.

So, really, you should watch the theatrical version followed by the Final Cut.

It took me until my fourth viewing of Blade Runner on TV to finally get into the film, and oddly enough it was the original narrated cut that did it for me. Obviously not my preferred version now but it did help me pay attention to what I used to think was a pretty but slow movie.

caligulamprey posted:

I loved the score to Sicario (I haven't seen Arrival yet but goddamn it, It'll probably be what I do on Christmas), but maaaaaaaaan I figured it might not be Vangelis so I had my fingers crossed Cliff Martinez instead of Johannsson.

I wanted Vangelis again too but in interviews Johannsson is fully aware of what he has to live up to and Arrival had a great score too so I have faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Timby posted:

Well, Gaff is in this one, Ana de Armas is Cuban, Barkhad Abdi is ... Somali, I think, and Lennie James is said to have a decent role...

Yeah but with the heavy Asian influences of the original film you'd think that's something they could have expanded on too.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Wizchine posted:

So if the film has a bunch of east asians, it's racist. On the other hand, if it has a paucity of east asians, it's racist.

That is my understanding.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

James Hong is still alive and kicking, surely they could have brought him back too?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Now I want Ridley Scott to direct the live action Beavis and Butthead film.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I don't understand the love for Alien Covenant and I say that as someone who enjoyed Prometheus.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

DC Murderverse posted:

they apparently brought them in a few months ago (the article says July) but even then that's mayyyyybe 4 months. And it's not just Zimmer/Wallfisch finishing what Johannsson started, it says none of his work is gonna be in the movie. I'm thinking he was a bit behind, they brought ZimmFisch in to help him out, they tried to push him in a different direction and he told them to gently caress off and do it themselves.

I would be perfectly happy if they just reused the score from the first movie.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0kobbjpdUg

Nothing spoilery, but the most surprising thing is that Ford and Scott apparently no longer disagree about Deckard being a replicant?! :monocle:

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Ingmar terdman posted:

Vangelis owns. Unrelated: are they essentially waiting to see how this movie does before they officially let Denis Do a ReDune

Reportedly he's also one of the favourites to direct the next Bond movie.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I don't know what EON's timetable is or whatever but it would be really smart if they let Villeneuve take that break and then do it.

:laffo: They should get Pierce Brosnan back for a remake of Never Say Never Again and actually have Craig cameo at the end like they Connery and Moore originally wanted to do.

They're locked in for a 2019 release, so it's already going to be 4 years since the last one and Craig is gonna be ooooold. Can't imagine they would wait.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, the anime short was rad but super derivative of the first film. Also felt a lot like the Second Renaissance shorts from Animatrix in that it's way more interested in giving background exposition than telling a story. Pretty, though, and cool. But the fact that it didn't even have original music was disappointing.

It was scored by Flying Lotus?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Any reviews mentioning the score? I know it won't compare to the original's but it's distressing to me we haven't heard anything outside of the trailers which could very well be trailer specific music.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Jerkface posted:

The regal near me is doing blade runner og and 2049 as a back to back double feature thursday

One near me is doing the double feature in an AVX theatre. Shame, because I chose to see 2049 in IMAX instead. I got to see the Final Cut earlier in the year in cinemas and got a little stoned beforehand, and it was wonderful.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Vegetable posted:

And of course, I've said this already, but the memory girl twist is awful. When K says "go meet your daughter," it's the worst thing ever. For a while I genuinely had no idea what he was talking about. It comes out of nowhere, it makes no sense, there isn't even the subtlest build up to it, it's absolutely half-baked.

They explicitly spell it out for you earlier in the film though?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

BarronsArtGallery posted:

I think we're arriving at the conclusion that going to see a film high on substances might be fun because of the sensory experience, but you probably won't understand a lot of poo poo presented in the film, even on a basic level.

Gotta keep that frontal lobe working, folks.

I intentionally saw the film stone cold sober the first time so I could follow everything with the expectation that I'd see it again stoned as gently caress just to soak in the ambiance.

AwkwardKnob posted:

They kind of do though. I wouldn't have said explicitly, but they do infer it heavily if you've been paying attention to the clues carefully enough.

I figured flashbacks revealing all the clues they laid out and then showing you it was the girl all along was pretty explicit.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

What would be their goal though? To make new robots in a factory that can breed or do some kind of upgrade on the other older models? It's like they are almost just doing the same thing the evil corporation Wallace guy is trying to do. At least hes trying to push humanity to the stars. The rebels are trying to pull a skynet on humanity.

The main difference is that Wallace wants to keep them enslaved

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Too bad we can't hear what the original Johannsson score was like as the scores for Arrival and Sicario were great, Villeneuve's reason for replacing it was that he wanted something more like Vangelis but even then Zimmer's score didn't really evoke that in me, maybe in a couple pieces. It's serviceable and suits the bleaker atmosphere of the film but I do wish they went for something more iconic.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Cacator posted:

I intentionally saw the film stone cold sober the first time so I could follow everything with the expectation that I'd see it again stoned as gently caress just to soak in the ambiance.

I completed part II of this mission today. I have never seen a movie two days in a row before. It's a work of art.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

oversteps posted:

I'm about to join you on this endeavor.

Godspeed.

The scene where K takes Joi on the roof and the only sounds you hear are the rain and a talking advertisement in the distance struck me as being particularly beautiful and cyberpunk as gently caress the second time around.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

starkebn posted:

When she sees it in K's room, the prostitute in 2409 specifically remarks that the horse is exactly like the one in her memory

I've seen the movie twice and she specifically says "It's from a tree", not "It's from a dream."

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

DorianGravy posted:

2) In the climatic fight, where exactly are they? It looks like there is some huge dam on the ocean-front, so are they on the outside of that? Why were they near it in the first place? Is the airport offshore?
3) I feel like I've seen a different scene where someone hires a prostitute to have sex with someone because they aren't physically there in a different movie or TV show, and it's bothering me that I can't remember it. Anybody remember something like that?

2- I think it's a giant sea wall to keep the tides out due to sea level rise.
3- 'Her' did the same thing in a more sincere way.

Dead Jedi posted:

The music! The parts leading up to where K was talking with the hookers had annoying sounds I'd describe as a motor revving between high and low speeds, and it was drowning out the music. I'm fairly certain now that was part of the music.

It is indeed part of the soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jm9ljyy9cE

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Luv reminds me of Sam Jackson's character in Django Unchained, she knows she's subsurvient but does whatever she can to maintain her status above the other slaves.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I think parts of the score are basically slower, more ominous echoes of the Vangelis score. For example, Wallace's theme is an evil version of Damask Rose:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_JgOlGq6i4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZNjCQ_6Krw

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

gohmak posted:

I saw it in IMAX and going again this Friday. IMAX or 3d for second viewing?

I barely even notice 3D in movies anymore, I'd much rather do IMAX.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

Featurette on the minature work:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLxxbfsj8IM

Wallace Corp's tower was supposed to be 3 km tall!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

I didn't mind Leto at first, but ever since I read that Bowie was Villeneuve's choice for Wallace I can't watch it again without imagining how much better he would have been. I think a more naturally eccentric person would have the gravitas to pull off the god complex without it seeming weird for the sake of being weird.

I do really like his delivery of "Yes? No?" for some reason though.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 14, 2018

• Locked thread