Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

((( My Steam ID in case you have suggestions:http://steamcommunity.com/id/Palpek/ )))

((( Use IsThereAnyDeal to track your Steam wishlist on all the sites everywhere forever. )))

:gaben: Welcome to the Steam (and other distribution platforms) X-Mas Sale of 2016 Thread. The leaks tell us it should start in like 4 hours on December 22nd.

Pro-click: http://store.steampowered.com/ or better use http://gabegaming.com/.

:siren: Join our #steamgoons IRC channel! :siren:

:gaben: This year's metagame is Steam Awards. Bascially Valve found a way to make people come back to the sale every day without having daily deals. You'll get cards for that and everybody loves cards, right?

Goddamnit Zach, my coffee really did warn me about it!
(thanks to Zetsubou-san for the image)

:gaben: Other distribution services. Anyway, gently caress Steam Sale brother because there are better deals on:
  • Amazon.com used to have a fantastic Digital PC Downloads section with great deals (rip Tony), maybe it'll happen again?
  • Direct2Drive has a sale going right now.
  • Greenman Gaming sometimes just has the best deals and often offers a discount code that additionally shaves off 15-25% from the sale price.
  • Gamers Gate offers some cool daily deals but nothing too epic UNTIL they gently caress up the prices.
  • Humble Bundle has a store. Always remember to check their regular and weekly bundles while you're there.
  • Bundle Stars also has a store. They have some good deals on often obscure titles that aren't a highlight anywhere else.
  • Gamefly offers standard deals but then there's this ONE game that is absolutely cheaper than anywhere else.
  • Groupees always has 2-3 bundles going on at the same time. Better check them before you drop money on an obscure indie game.
  • Indie Gala has a store. It sucks. But hey, sometimes it doesn't!

:gaben: Actually Steam sucks so much that I don't even need Steam keys:
  • Good Old Games - GOG owns.
  • Origin is a good platform for cool people. It even does sales now, wow. It offers EA's big popular games that are not available on Steam.
  • Ubisoft Store offers Ubisoft games. Buying from them doesn't grant you a Steam key. AC:Syndicate is good. Be sure to use the same Uplay account on Steam games that require it. Otherwise you'll end up with 2 stupid accounts that can't be merged.

:gaben: Just kidding, I still love Steam! Rules of sale:
  • :siren: This sale will have no daily deals. :siren: The super important classic advice "not to buy games if it's not a daily deal" is actually dumb and bad now.
  • Put a set amount of money to your Steam wallet AND NO MORE*. For self-control, don't be an animal.
  • Consider buying games as gifts into your inventory instead of your library and only open them when you intend to play them OR
  • Get refunds - Remember not to play a game longer than 2 hours because that's the requirement but other than that you can safely try out a game and then give the trash back. Goons will try scaring you that Steam will put you on an FBI list and you will have to wait 2 hours for card drops and blah blah blah and hey, they might be right!
  • Organize 2 or 4 packs where possible my brother. It can often save you and your gamer brothers a good sum of cash.
  • There are usually tons of games discounted 75%+ that aren't mentioned on the main page. Go hunting.

:gaben: Recommendations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thILxw6wBJE

http://gaben.tv/

https://gaben.amigocraft.net/

Palpek fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Always glad to see this thread each year. Also the write up about Uplay, they do give Steam keys on non-Ubisoft games. Never knew until they had that even more on sale then intended sale a few weeks ago where I got Batman Arkham Origins + Season Pass for 3 bucks and a Origin key for Dragon Age Inquisition for 9.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Buy Everyday Genius: Square Logic and all three HexCells games. That is all.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Looking forward to recommending you buy Alien:Isolation every few pages, goons! :toot:

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Assuming Dark Souls 2 drops down to 10 dollars is it still worth playing? I'm just getting to the series now and I remember hearing a lot of complaining about 2 when it came out. I'm wondering if I should pick it up or just skip to 3.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Oh for sure, just make sure to get the scholar of the first sin version.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
:toxx: Doom 2016 you're mine if you're $20 or less

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

While you will hear different opinions on which Dark Souls game absolutely ruined everything - know that the Dark Souls game that reportedly sucks is still better than most releases out there. They're all worth your time.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
This will be my first winter sale. Should I call in sick for maximum savings?

:ortiz:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Rd Rash 1000cc posted:

This will be my first winter sale. Should I call in sick for maximum savings?

:ortiz:

Steam App, friend. Waste your money on video games while making more money to waste.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Looking forward to recommending you buy Alien:Isolation every few pages, goons! :toot:

I look forward to still not buying Alien:Isolation every few pages as well! :dukedog:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
frrriiiick

It's happening. The planets aligned and this December was a 5-paycheck month and also a Christmas bonus. I actually have money to spend instead of trying to figure out what I'm gonna split like $30 between. My 2017 backlog will be glorious and terrible.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Some really good games that always go to basement-level prices during these sales:

-Alpha Protocol
-Alpha Protocol
-Payday 2 and its DLC
-Dark Souls 1 Prepare To Die Edition
-Alpha Protocol

Edit: I don't know if I agree with the below suggestion that all Dark Souls are worth it. Personal opinion is that 1 is a masterpiece and stands the test of time well, the other games in the series are great if you liked the first.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Dec 22, 2016

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Horn posted:

Assuming Dark Souls 2 drops down to 10 dollars is it still worth playing? I'm just getting to the series now and I remember hearing a lot of complaining about 2 when it came out. I'm wondering if I should pick it up or just skip to 3.

Play them in order if at all possible, as they are all great but you might find it hard to go backwards from newer, prettier, and smoother combat. poo poo, get a PS3 if you don't have one and track down Demon's Souls!

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ragequit posted:

I look forward to still not buying Alien:Isolation every few pages as well! :dukedog:

Still having that horrible taste in games I see.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Edmond Dantes posted:

Still having that horrible taste in games I see.

I kid - I might pick it up someday, but I am a colossal baby that could really do without jump scares. I have provided a visual of me playing Alien:Isolation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVhEJSYrk9Y

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ragequit posted:

I kid - I might pick it up someday, but I am a colossal baby that could really do without jump scares. I have provided a visual of me playing Alien:Isolation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVhEJSYrk9Y

It's very light on the jumpscares, I remember... 1, 2 tops; it is unrelentingly tense though.

I need to put together a curated wishlist and budget myself, there's a bunch of stuff I want to get this time around.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

shoppin around the winter sale
at the newell party hop
three dollar games all you can see
once you buy them you won't stop

massive sales from a to z
then we'll all bitch it's gone downhill
and we'll shout "where's half life 3"

you will get a sentimental feeling when you hear
"is this game worth 50 cents?"
"NO! it sucks." "i'm on the fence"

there are no flash deals today
post your steam haul and you'll be mocked
but i'll do. it. a-ny-way

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Looking forward to it since I currently have a lot of free time.

SO maybe someone can help me: I need a nice time-sink strategy kind of game, something like rollercoaster tycoon, rimworld, anno, dwarf fortress, X tycoon etc. I've played a lot of these games but I propably missed some greats. I'd be thankful for any hints of what I should look for in the sale. Planet coaster is one, but I doubt it'll get big savings.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Quest For Glory II posted:

at the newell party hop

:five:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Son of Rodney posted:

SO maybe someone can help me: I need a nice time-sink strategy kind of game, something like rollercoaster tycoon, rimworld, anno, dwarf fortress, X tycoon etc. I've played a lot of these games but I propably missed some greats. I'd be thankful for any hints of what I should look for in the sale. Planet coaster is one, but I doubt it'll get big savings.

Have you played Cities Skylines?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
I'm gonna be the guy that tells everyone to buy Alpha Protocol and Just Cause 2 and all the other good games that have been $2.50 for the last 5 years of Steam sales that there couldn't possibly be anyone left that doesn't own them at this point and if there are they're probably stupid idiots.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Reminder that if you're disappointed or leery of Streum On's Deathwing, their classic E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy routinely goes on sale nearly every Steam sale for $1.

I have previously described it as

Cantorsdust posted:

EYE Divine Cybermancy is a game I've described before as Deus Ex meets Warhammer 40K in a fever dream. Run around in your cyber-armor, use cool cybor abilities and implants, and kill guys with some satisfying weapons and good gunplay.

and

Cantorsdust posted:

EYE: Divine Cybermancy is best described as a Deus Ex fever dream set in a Warhammer 40K-like universe in the Source engine. You are a warrior monk for the organization EYE, a secret organization within the Secreta Secretorum, which is itself a secret organization within an interplanetary Federation. Wear power armor, wield giant hammers or enormous miniguns, and use psi-powers to hack and slash through a variety of monsters, gun-toting bandits and soldiers, and enemy warrior monks. This game has some of the best gunplay ever. The guns have real weight to them when you fire, each feels distinctive, and each have their uses. My typical loadout would have a solid-feeling AK style gun, a pistol that felt like a goddamn cannon going off in your hand, and an ENORMOUS loving warhammer. You start out relatively weak, but through research and grinding for money, you can buy all kinds of cybernetic upgrades. The levels themselves are well-designed and probably the largest of their kind in a Source-engine game. The whole thing is really well done gameplay wise. The story is weird as hell, and all the NPCs speak in a fake French ish language, so don't buy it for the story, maybe.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 22, 2016

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Quest For Glory II posted:

at the newell party hop

Well I don't know why I came here tonight,
I got the feeling that something ain't right,
I'm so scared that I'll miss a flash sale,
It's got me checking the steam page all day,
Bad rats to the left of me,
Witchers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the Steam Sale with you,

Yes I am stuck in the Steam Sale with you,
And I'm wondering what it is I should do,
It's so hard to keep these games off my cart,
Even though most of them may well be crap
Deus Ex to the left of me, Dishonoured to the right,
Here I am, stuck in the Steam Sale with you.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Hopefully we'll see some good deals on VR games so I don't have to buy poo poo on the crappy Oculus store

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Just got a Christmas bonus, have the rest of the week off work -- this seems the perfect time for a Steam sale. Waiting around for my wishlist to turn green

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

MMF Freeway posted:

Have you played Cities Skylines?

I haven't, but I was never too much of a city building fan. I hear it's really good though, so maybe I should give it a try?

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Shredder posted:

Hopefully we'll see some good deals on VR games so I don't have to buy poo poo on the crappy Oculus store

Impressions of all this stuff:

Thumper's on Steam, runs for the Vive and Rift direct from Steam, a good purchase.
The Climb is only on the Oculus store and is actually an incredible game with a ton of content. If it goes on sale again I actually do suggest it.
I Expect You To Die and Superhot are both quite good but short. Superhot is longer than I Expect You To Die.
If Subnautica goes on sale, grab it.

Also my game (Skeet) is gonna support the Rift in about a week or two, and is free. Currently on Steam but Oculus support is janky until the patch which also doubles the amount of content/adds leaderboards.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 22, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Cantorsdust posted:

Reminder that if you're disappointed or leery of Streum On's Deathwing, their classic E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy routinely goes on sale nearly every Steam sale for $1.

This actually isn't true anymore. It's been 2.50 the last few sales.

It's still cheap but there has definitely been a move away from the insanely low prices of years past. Now they are merely very low. You don't see 98% off sales anymore.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Tomahawk posted:

I'm gonna be the guy that tells everyone to buy Alpha Protocol and Just Cause 2 and all the other good games that have been $2.50 for the last 5 years of Steam sales that there couldn't possibly be anyone left that doesn't own them at this point and if there are they're probably stupid idiots.

I will probably end up getting JC2 just for the multiplayer. I've been playing JC3 and having a good time, but the multiplayer mod is still in like early beta. I kinda want to hold out and see if it goes up on steam like the one for JC2 did.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Son of Rodney posted:

I haven't, but I was never too much of a city building fan. I hear it's really good though, so maybe I should give it a try?

It's sort of an interesting breed of city builder, in that it places a very heavy emphasis on transportation networks. Once your city is established and kinda big, the game very much becomes "obsessive traffic management simulator", and you're given a full suite of tools to make big, complex highway junctions and underground railroad segments and stuff. The citizen agents also love walking and public transit, so you get a lot of options.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Sale hasn't even begun yet and isthereanydeal is already dead. How am I supposed to budget like this? :v:

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
GMG Winter Sale just started and don't forget WINTER10 for an extra 10% off. Someone wanted Doom for under $20 well you got it for $17.09

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Son of Rodney posted:

I play a lot of Craft The World, it should be on sale. Terraria as well. Banished, Tropico 5 also come to mind in that space.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Controversial opinions and hot takes.

Reiterating Buy Alpha Protocol. They basically invented the dialogue system that you associate with Telltale now, only theirs has actual consequences and branching and a cool story.

Never buy the execrable Deponia franchise. Bad puzzles, bad writing, terrible characters. I've played like a billion point and click adventures and the Deponia games are some of the worst.

EYE Divine Cybermancy doesn't make an ounce of goddamn sense and is cludgy as gently caress. That's honestly the thing I'd compare it most to Deus Ex for -- that it feels weird and clunky, only it doesn't have the nostalgia to make up for it.

Wolfenstein: New Order is badly written filler pretending to be well written filler.

Never buy Hidden Object Games from Jetdogs. The adventure-lite portions joining the hidden object sections are horrible.

Safecracker will go on sale for like 5 cents but it won't work on your computer.

Every Wadjet Eye title is good except The Shivah and A Golden Wake. Technobabylon and Resonance are the best. Great point and click adventures.

Never buy episodic adventures until they're complete. The small companies never finish (Majestic Nights, Bullets & Blues, Kentucky Route Zero) and the big ones will sell the whole series for half-off before it's even completed (Telltale).

Honest Hearts is the one bad DLC for New Vegas.

Vermintide's resemblance to L4D ends at the concept stage. The melee system is super deep and will give back as much as you put into it and that makes it a super rewarding game.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 22, 2016

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Buy Everyday Genius: Square Logic and all three HexCells games. That is all.

This is good advice, Square Logic has an absolutely obscene amount of puzzles for the price and some good relaxing ambient music.

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

Has anyone done a write up of coop games? Would appreciate a link to it if so.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Atoramos posted:

Impressions of all this stuff:

Thumper's on Steam, runs for the Vive and Rift direct from Steam, a good purchase.
The Cliff is only on the Oculus store and is actually an incredible game with a ton of content. If it goes on sale again I actually do suggest it.
I Expect You To Die and Superhot are both quite good but short. Superhot is longer than I Expect You To Die.
If Subnautica goes on sale, grab it.

Also my game (Skeet) is gonna support the Rift in about a week or two, and is free. Currently on Steam but Oculus support is janky until the patch which also doubles the amount of content/adds leaderboards.

I'm totally getting Thumper and Space Pirate Trainer. Hoping for good deals on Technolust, NewRetroArcade, Hot Dogs etc, Raw Data and maybe Fantastic Contraption.
I assume you meant The Climb, I'm not sure I'd be into that one especially for $25+
Expect and Superhot are on my list, will have to wait and see if they show up as a daily on the Oculus sale.
I've got Subnautica but it made me violently ill when I got my Rift back in March, maybe I'll give it another go.

I will check out your game!

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Flatulance-a-lot posted:

Has anyone done a write up of coop games? Would appreciate a link to it if so.

I don't have a link but some of my recent favorites are Payday 2, Space Marine, Dying Light, The Division. Local co-op, Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Do we know why they dropped the daily deal model a year or two ago? I miss the excitement of logging in and impulse buying games I had no interest in yesterday because they're 75% off for a day instead of 20% off for 2 weeks with full price DLC.

• Locked thread