Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

wtf it's 10:01.01 and the sales aren't updated :kratos:

gaben fix plz you fat knife-collecting pos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

literally 80% of my wishlist isn't even on sale :saddowns:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Horn posted:

Wait an hour before freaking out. The store is dying right now.

No. :colbert:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://steamstat.us/

Ohhhh man, I forgot that this is the first major sale that allows India to log in and buy games from Steam.

They added 1.1 billion potential customers. Even if only 0.1% of Indians have Steam, that's 1 MILLION new Steam users.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Someone tell me what on my wishlist is worth owning, since I just spent $40 to buy out the bottom half/all the $3.99 & under games

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Blood bowl: chaos edition then? I feel like it'd scratch a decent itch of chilled out board-like game. With a certain other thread locked I feel like it's okay to give GW money right now.

Ticket to Ride is on Steam too, y'know, and gives $0 to GW

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

ilmucche posted:

Thanks. I love board games but can't buy any at the moment. Never played ticket to ride, but I've heard good things. :)

add me on steam and we can play trains together :3:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

just a heads-up: Lara Croft: GO is extremely my poo poo; it's 90% "take your time" Adventure of Lolo style puzzler, with 10% Hidden-Object Game thrown in for spice. I am really digging it. The PSX-era Croft model is just a funny bonus.

Be aware, it is "I am a mobile port"-as gently caress, but if you can get past that, it's p.dope.

e:

Zetsubou-san posted:

Thomas Was Alone - $2.49 (-75%) - puzzle-platformer with a great story
agreed, everyone should play this if you like Stanley Parable

Zetsubou-san posted:

eversion - $2.49 (-50%) - a cute platformer
you monster, why would you do this :gonk:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Give me some direction. With the sales being nowhere near as deep as they used to be I can't just go apeshit picking up everything

http://steamcommunity.com/id/shoegays/wishlist/

Make a case for something on that wishlist and also why I should remove something else. The first 20 or so are actually ranked but after that it's a mess of "gently caress it, let's see if it gets cheap at some point"

Letter Quest is absolutely fantastic, it's the perfect level of challenge up to the very end, grinding is actually fun because you're also honing your word-finding skills, and for $2.39, you're a goddamned idiot not to snap it up.

OTOH, even at a buck-fifty, I found it hard to enjoy Magnetic: Cage Closed (not case closed); it's a really, really, really really really derivative Portal clone.

Like, you are a test subject and the omniscient, careless scientist voice is openly wishing for your death.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lowen posted:

I bought Planet Coaster and Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action!
I returned Planet Coaster, I just wasn't having fun. I think I need a computer upgrade so that I can make my park pretty. I had to turn my graphics way down.

I'll probably try some other games for the cost of Planet Coaster once I have the gabebux back.

Is planet coaster more park-management sim or more build-roller-coasters physics game? Because I don't want to make coasters, but I do want to charge people $8 for a coke when they step off one.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Quick! Someone pick a game from my ":siren: always buy games and store them as gifts in your inventory!:siren:" for me to unpack and play.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Quest For Glory II posted:

What kind of mood are you in? Slime Rancher is really chill but early access, INSIDE is a lot like Limbo so it's bleak, Volume is like VR Missions or Marvelous Miss Take but with a lot of british writing

this is also me learning for the first time that Pac-Man 256 is on Steam

It's a cold and dark rainy night in Seattle. So I'm thinkin' either Masochisia, Dweller, Thumper or True Fear

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

omg Thumper is so good ya'll. They finally did it. They made a horror rhythm game.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

I am also curious about this.

Mad Max for less than $7 is a steal. It's a little repetitive but it's gorgeous and fits the theme perfectly.

If Mad Max were a T-Shirt, it would be sized extra-medium. It's the epitome of :geno: v i d e o g a m e, which isn't to say it's bad, but it's like the default of what videogames are in the mid-teens: open-world, collectibles, rhythm punch combat.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Mercy's Medical Services rehabilitative interactive activities list!

These are games that aren't less than a dollar, but are really, really good and what is wrong with you if you don't get them:

This War Of Mine: Ughhh. It's a brutal, unflinching survival game about being a civilian stuck in a Call of Duty game. There's DLC to let you donate to war orphans. $4
Habitat: The best "tie a tyrannosaurus head and a Hot Dog Stand to the Statue of Liberty and tool around LEO until aliens show up to blow you up" simulator on the market. $4
Guacamelee!: This has been in its fair share of bundles, but if you haven't yet, this is the most fun Metroidvania in years, mostly because it doesn't use a tiny 1-square sprite moving around single screens but giant, gorgeous sprites. It's genuinely funny, too. $6
Zigguraut: Remember Heretic? Yeah ya do. Now take all the best arena-shooter parts of Heretic, put it in a wave-attack procedurally-generated world, and add leaderboards. That's the good stuff. $5 for the chance there might be multiplayer someday is worth the gamble.
Depth: It's Counter-strike. With Sharks. You play as the sharks. Eat the divers! $6
A Boy and His Blob: Press 'Y' to Hug :3: $2.50

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 23, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Does anyone want to trade a copy of Cities: Skylines for something off my wish list? I picked it up last sale to gift it, but the idiot IRL friend it was for bought it on their own.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PantsBandit posted:

I'm trying to get a read on this Megadimension Neptunia VII game. It's got overwhelmingly positive reviews but the store page doesn't do a great job of actually describing the game. Is it just a really good jrpg? Is it one game or a compilation? Do the waifus have compelling storylines? I must know more!

why should we help you? you're just gonna buy Sanctum 2 instead anyway.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

OK I wanna tackle my backlog.

What from this is the shortest 2-3 games. HowLongToBeat's interface is atrocious and they don't let you sync to Steam.

e: ignore speedrunners, it's MP, shouldn't be on the backlog list

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Dec 24, 2016

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I'm not kidding about how good Lara Croft GO is, guys. I made a YouTube account just to share this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riTKtl4vDbU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Palpek posted:

In a couple of hours I'll sit at the Christmas table so I'd like to wish you all Merry X-Mas with family/friends/games :).

Are you drinking egg nog or just a darn good cup of coffee?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Away all Goats posted:

Any thoughts on Grey Goo? It's less than :10bux: which is a lot cheaper than other games that came out 2 years ago.

It's a super-generic RTS. Nothing particularly bad about it, but it didn't set me on fire either.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just a heads-up, the Portal pinball table is a buck and it's one of the better PinballFX tables (imo) :wcc:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Deep Thoreau posted:

Gonna get some pinball, what are some of the top tables?
I am by no means a pinball wizard (though there are people who take these table SUPER SERIOUS and their reviews are generally to be trusted, if you're also a serious 'baller), but here's my thoughts on the ones I own:

Guardians of the Galaxy, Portal and Plants v Zombies are all top-tier to me.

Balls of Glory (American Dad, Family Guy, Archer) is good.

South Park is really fun, but I can see how people could have not so much fun.

Ms. Explosion Man is a terrible, annoying table, but it's also the only one I've been able to solve.

The early tables are all bad, small and confusing. Of them, Paranormal is the least bad. Epic Quest seems like it would be fun, but is actually super-annoying to trigger the minigame and lose in 1 second.

I have SW: Balance of the Force, and I can't tell if anything I'm doing matters. I don't know how to trigger the minigames. YMMV.

All the Marvel games are hard as balls and confusing with absurd conditions required for the minigames. Avoid.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

LordHippoman posted:

since it seems like Division gets included in bundles and sales more often.

Appreciate the advice!
The Division also has some truly problematic themes and if you're the sort of person to examine your media critically it has rather unflattering things to say.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

To add to that, Dying Light is the most fun you can have with just the core movement mechanic (so ignoring all other story, enemies, combat, everything else - just traversing the world) since at least Crackdown. If you are into the feeling of moving through space and being rewarded for taking leaps of faith, you will adore Dying Light.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Awesome! posted:

dont listen to that person that said all the marvel tables are bad lol
das me.

it should be noted, you can trial any board for free, so do try them out. For instance, the Venom board. Try that unfun mess for 3 minutes and ask yourself if you want to spend money to have a game spit in your face. Some people are into that, :shrug:

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Palpek posted:

The only thing that is not as good is the main plot. It's full of gaming cliches and takes itself way too seriously for how shallow it is but honestly that didn't really bother me here (it does bother me in many other games) because the gameplay was just too good and more than made up for the problems in that area.
Actually Dying Light's plot was a highlight for me. It's a story about genuinely good people. Nobody's an rear end in a top hat to move the plot along (except the bad guys), and you're constantly trying to make things better for people. It's one of the reasons the DLC is pretty meh by comparison

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HPanda posted:

Alright, you fuckers convinced me to buy Dying Light. Holding you all personally responsible if this isn't the sweet Zombie Jesus of games.

add me on steam, I'm only a few hours in but could easily start over and co-op it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Trick Question posted:

Geometry Wars (or 3)
Lumo

Anyone feel really strongly about one of these, one way or the other?
If you like GeoWars, 3 is drat fun. Thumper is better still though

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Trick Question posted:

I mean, I own and enjoy Thumper, but I'm not sure why you would directly make that comparison? They seem like drastically different games. I've never played any of the GeoWars games, how do they compare to say, nuclear throne or gungeon?

You're saying that Lumo is good, right?
I think all the Geometry Wars games have a certain amount of rhythm game hidden in them, insofar as you start to get the pulse and feel of a good run going just as much as a Guitar Hero track.

They also both rely on matching quick reflexes with aural cues and unfocusing your eyes so you can watch your ship plus the board as a whole.

Lumo was there because I lazily didn't want to phone-post dick around with editing out Lumo. I know literally nothing about it.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Black Closet.

Is this Long Live the Queen but in high school? Or a creepy sex game? Because I love LLTQ

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Gaghskull posted:

When you do get pipe bombs/molotovs, do be careful at throwing them at the thing. Whenever I did hit him with one of those, it seemed to make it goddamn angry.
GOnna go out on a limb and say that is actually pretty accurate AI.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Asking for a friend: Cities Skylines, yea or nay?

I have a copy of Skylines that I'd trade for something off my wishlist if you can help a goon out

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

Is it the deluxe version or just the base game?

Just base game. All the deluxe version adds is 5 IRL buildings

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eternal Hobo posted:

Golf with Your Friends any good? I've had it in my wish list as a potential multiplayer game but I'm not sure if it's worth the investment.

local multiplayer doesn't get better than Drawful 2.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

There's also Magnetic: Cage Closed which I've never found time to try.

Do not play magnetic. It is bad

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Ularg posted:

Awesome, so my cart looks like:

Homefront: The Revolution: $11.99

Please do not buy Homefront it is very bad and not good at all.

Anyway, am I a trash baby contributing to the glut of RPGMaker trash if I pick up RPGMaker for $40? I'd like to mess around but I'm not sure what the learning curve is like, or if I should just learn how to code from youtube videos for free instead?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xelkelvos posted:

So is there anything on this wishlist I should acquire before the sale is out?
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198037512870/wishlist

Universe sandbox 2 and fallout 4 are both eminently skippable. Rollers of the realm and roundabout are both pro buys

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Athanatos posted:

What's the Game inside GTA5?

trying to engage in MP without getting griefed by a hacker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Welp, just refunded Recettear, because forced 4:3 ratios, irritating chirps and dead-simple children's game gameplay is not what I need right now.

• Locked thread