Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.gofundme.com/medical-bills-for-crash-the-cat

I resisted gofundme's demands to link to facebook: even though every one of them said it was just to get my photo, the fine print says it's actually to scrape up and spam all of my contacts and store other facebook info etc. There is no "just upload a photo of me" option that I can find, it's hoover up my Facebook or nothing.

If anyone wants to verify that I'm who I say I am or whatever, send me a PM, or email me at my user name at gmail.com, I can provide that. Please don't doxx me.

We've decided to call the cat Crash.

They kept him overnight, so I'll be bringing him home in a couple hours. I expect to be able to post some good photos of a cat with a shaved jawline and visible surgical wiring or something, I don't really know what to expect exactly.

Thanks everyone who has offered to donate, and I apologize to those of you who are irritated by injured cat rescue operations in the GW death thread. You can go back to posting your ironic reposts or whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Buncha people hop inna thread and stir things up to prove the thread they are now spending all day posting in shouldn't exist.

But guess what, you're gonna stay anyway. That's the lure and the trap. You can't leave. We are all in here, hugboxing our circlejerk about how bad a company is, forever.

...cat is home. He is a drooling ugly mess, but he's probably gonna make it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

spectralent posted:

I saw stuff about getting him shots and leukaemia tests; he all good for that now, too?

So, the vet totally did not do the tests, even though CC4C requested them, because... well, they didn't write it down, or who knows. This particular vet office is always kind of overworked and sometimes that leads to sloppiness. Which sucks, because cats with feline leukemia have to be put down. He probably doesn't have it, but I have to bring him back for the tests.

He'll also need his vaccinations. And, the neuter surgery has to wait, because the wound with all the maggots in it is too close to his catballs.

Moola posted:

I watched a video of a dude interviewing people in japan and asking how they felt about Scarjo playing the lead

they pretty much all thought it was super cool

she did Lost in Translation so obviously she already has japanese street cred, or whatever

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

assuming panascopes nipples can manage the touchscreen on the phone, what does that phone call even sound like?

<faint rustling noises>

My wife is a saint. She is in there trying to sort of clean up this cat a bit. I suggested photos and she said "maybe when he's not quite so horrifying."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TTerrible posted:

I miss LeperFleshs annual post about the financial statement. I understand why he doesn't do them now. :smith:

I still comment each year but basically the company has been on an upswing. Its failure to collapse was disappointing for folks (although I predicted it would be fine) and in any case other people already jump in and comment whenever the reports come out now.

The first time I popped into this thread to discuss the financial statements, it was back under Kirby's watch, when he was publishing bizarre self-important blog posts as chairman's preambles, and folks in the original death thread were making wildly unfounded assertions about GW's financial condition.

Kirby's faded into the background and people aren't claiming GW is on the precipice of financial ruin any more, so that original impetus is gone. :shrug:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I mean

yeah. In the sense that the company is making money for its investors, which is its fundamental purpose and legal obligation to try to do.

I think the company could be worth ten times this if it were run by actual competent businesspeople, but this is not the steep ramp down into oblivion that death thread regulars were betting on.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

what if this is actually bad though

it is

capitalism

bad

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Well yeah, nobody was realistically expecting a Doobie's Doghouse death spiral but when that happens, it's always funny so one can hope. It was pretty funny when many LGSs started deeply discounting the sigmar starter sets the autumn after it was released because it just wouldn't sell.

I don't know about doobie's doghouse, but the original death thread was literally a thread for guessing how soon GW would die, and almost all of the guesses were within two years. That was... oh god, probably four years ago now or something.

And Age of Sigmar has been "successful," in that it's clear GW is happy enough with its sales compared to warhammer fantasy that, more than a year after release, they're still supporting it. This company's corporate culture is to cut and run when a game line doesn't work out. They would not still be pouring money into AoS if it was a failing game.

That doesn't mean it's good. It also doesn't mean Age of Sigmar was the right choice - I'm still convinced that GW could have actually bothered to fix their fantasy game and enjoyed good sales, or even better, make Age of Sigmar an offshoot while continuing to develop and support the Fantasy game. There's no special reason why they couldn't have supported the Old World, the Warhammer 40k far future world, and a Reality Balls age of unspecified timeline in which long-dead heroes of the Old World have been resurrected to fight again, or whatever. Or just added Sigmarines into the Old World. Or some other option, there's obviously plenty.

So yeah. GW is a bad company that makes bad games and while the naked contempt for customers may no longer be so blatant, it'll be a lot of years before we can look back and say for sure that the company turned around in 2015-16 and became an actual Good Company with product lines that people would be wise to invest in. From an investor standpoint, they've gotten through a long period of decline and turned the profit hose back on, and that's all they care about.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The total war warhammer game was advertised from the get-go as being a series of three games, and it's been nicely playable from day 1.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TWLM just beat me to it but, yup, thanks to goons, and friends and family on Facebook, we blasted past our funding goal today. Less than three days and people have fully covered Crash the cat's medical expenses. I honestly thought maybe we'd raise $200.

The donation that put us past our goal today was a $200 donation from a goon from this thread. I really don't know how to express how touched we are. We're in a position now where we won't have to make a hard decision about cutting off medical support due to the costs. Crash might make it or he might not... but if he doesn't make it, it won't be because we had to draw a line and say "no, we can't afford any more treatment."

Please go on about your business, and remember GW is bad.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah it was basically people making a likely false assumption and then declaring victory when CA/Sega pointed out that no, chaos was not some kind of preorder exclusive that would never be available later.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In this thread, we are happy to attack GW, but many of us also point out when the attacks make no sense or are based on incorrect information. The same standard can and should be applied elsewhere.

Nobody has to agree that Sega is a good company or whatever, but if you're going to say "don't by warhammer: total war" you should not base that on simply wrong information about the game. That's not helpful.

Warhammer: Total War was not a buggy problem release and Sega did not at any time claim that the Chaos campaign was going to be restricted to only people who preordered the game. They offered it as a free bonus to preorders, but it was clearly always going to be DLC.

If you've been burned by previous Total War releases and don't feel like Sega has done enough to earn back your hard-earned game dollars, that's fine, I feel exactly the same way about Games Workshop.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

tallkidwithglasses posted:

The last 40 pages or whatever of this thread are a compelling corpus of evidence against this assertion, friendo.

What, you mean where people were arguing with quotations from other threads or websites? I don't know what that proves, exactly.

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Sega is a horrendous company and people still giving them money are loving idiots. Sonic died years ago, it's just a mess now. The sooner their publishing arm goes the way of their console operation the better.

The parallel here is fabulous, because much like GW, wishful thinking isn't going to make Sega's game publishing arm go away. Especially not now, when it's wildly successful financially.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Actually, that just proves my point that Sega will be gone in the next two or three years. They can ride on cuts and savings for now, but not in the long term.

Hm.
http://segabits.com/blog/2017/02/11/sega-sammy-third-quarter-review-fiscal-year-ending-2017/

Sega certainly seems to have some challenges, but it's tough to argue with rising revenue and sales in their core businesses. Certainly getting into the resort business was an error, but the writedown they're going to take

quote:

an extraordinary loss incurred in the Resort Business from the sales of Joypolis shares (¥1.4 billion loss) and ceasing the development of Busan Metropolitan City in South Korea (¥3.4 billion loss)
is just a footnote compared to their total business

quote:

total sales increased from last year’s result of ¥245 billion and reaching ¥285.7 billion for this year. Not only that, but operating income has grown a healthy amount, climbing from ¥12.6 billion to ¥35.3 billion – more than double from the previous year.

Feel free to predict how sega's going to lose so much of those sales that they'll be gone in two or three years. I honestly don't see it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The gamer nerd's approach to assessing the financial health of the targets of their ire continues to be super lazy, in that it only takes five minutes to google for these public company's financial records and see how they're actually doing.

But please, continue to declare SEGA dead because sonic the hedgehog something something

I don't even have a stake in how SEGA does. I've been a fan of the total war series and felt like warhammer: total war was an excellent new game that really showed how much creative assembly has upped their game, but aside from that, I just don't care at all. If SEGA collapses, some other publisher will be happy to get CA's business.

But I do usually find it interesting to test nerd handwaving financial theories against actual information and see how they hold up.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 4, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You keep posting ironicat. ...I'm not sure it means what you think it means.

Maybe instead of lazy shitposting, you could clearly state a coherent position or opinion of some kind?

ijyt posted:

So what do you call being the minority railing against a successful company on a dead forum

:ironicat:

Please keep railing against successful company Sega on this dead comedy forum

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ijyt posted:

Games workshop good

Death thread bad

Simple enough for you?

Sure.

Games Workshop is a successful company. So is Sega.

Games Workshop makes bad products people should not buy, with a few rare exceptions.

Sega doesn't make the Total War games, but they do distribute them, and that's fine. The games have had problems on release in the past, but Total Warhammer's release was great and it is a good game.

Simple enough for you?

And if you don't like the death thread, why not :frogout:? Who is sadder, the people carrying on with a topic you're uninterested in, or the dude who can't not read that topic and obsessively attack the posters in that thread for being there too?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mango Polo posted:

Option C: the guy who gets, like, real mad, in the death thread

hint

it's you

here I am, furiously posting reasonable opinions and angrily quoting financial records

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can't timg a whole gallery on imgur.

Here's your link:
http://m.imgur.com/gallery/g4QIAr7

and here's the image:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you can have fun with a thing, there must not be any other thing that is better.

If someone says there's a better thing, that is clearly an attempt to invalidate your fun you had. They're just haters. Or perhaps they are mentally ill. I mean why would anyone want to discuss things? Talking about different aspects of things, what makes them better or worse, that's all just pathetic and worthy of ridicule.

Over and over. Be sure to ridicule people discussing things. They're so sad. Right?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This is disingenuous. The whole point of this thread, and it's not infrequent sorties into the 40k thread, is to obsessively sneer at people who enjoy something, and try to belittle and, ultimately, spoil that enjoyment. Telling people there is something they might like is a million miles away from telling people they don't like what they like. The latter seemingly being this thread's raison d'etre.

Yeah except that's not true.

There might be one or two specific posters who do what you describe, but that's not what this thread is. Especially when it's not suddenly populated by a handful of newcomers bound and determined to prove that that's what this thread is via shitposting.

And this thread has never organized an invasion of the 40k thread or anywhere else.

I think if you want to call out specific people for doing something obnoxious or objectionable, go for it. If there's a problem, it's not the GW Death Thread, though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

TheChirurgeon posted:

*Looks at last 30 pages of thread*

Disagree, friendo

Yeah some shitposters came in and turned the thread to poo poo for 30 pages, so obviously the problem is the thread regulars.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ijyt posted:

the thread you post in the most

lol no

I post on SA a lot. It's... I have a problem, yeah.

quote:

There have been 33353 posts made by Leperflesh, an average of 9.24 posts per day, since registering on May 17, 2007.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cat update. The cat is FIV+. The good news is, he's recovering well. We are still giving him subcutaneous fluids twice daily, plus antibiotics injections and oral painkillers and squirting food in his mouth because he can't really smell that food in a bowl is food. But it's working.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Uh oh Ugleb, you've really stepped in it! Get ready to be quoted and assigned an ironicat emoticon any time now!

I can confirm that Robo Rally is a fantastic game. You have to make sure the checkpoints force the players to crisscross each other, though - if you mark out a course that doesn't do that, someone will randomly get a lead and then never be catchable and the game will be boring.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

spectralent posted:

Aww jeez :(

What's the prognosis on FIV?

Many cats live long and basically healthy lives with FIV+. It is less serious for a cat, than HIV+ is for a human. However, eventually it will get them. Their ability to fight infections and stuff can be boosted with medication and supplements etc. etc. but at some point they'll get sick with something and not beat it.

It's transmitted by deep bite wounds - saliva to blood contact, basically. So outdoor intact males are the ones most likely to both have it and spread it, since their hormones drive them to fight one another for access to food, mates, and territory. Crash, of course, was an outdoor intact male cat, so...

Moola posted:

Stay safe kitty

still locked in the bathroom or ?

Yeah he's gonna be in there for at least a week or two. Bare minimum, he needs to heal enough to have the wound above his balls be at a point where the vet can stitch him up, and have his strength up enough to not be super vulnerable to more infections etc. Based on experience, he's going to be sick of being stuck in a bathroom within a few more days, and as he gets stronger, he'll protest about it more. We're thinking about setting up some kind of kennel to house him in the garage or on the patio once he's well enough. Mixing with our cats is not going to be an option since he's FIV+. Once he's fixed, his drive to fight other males should go down, but I don't think we're going to be confident enough that it's safe that we're willing to put our own cats at risk.

Cats with FIV+ picked up by local animal control are usually destroyed. But they can make good pets, provided the owner is aware of the possible issues and keeps up with medical care. We're still hopeful we can find a good home for him in a month or two, when he's doing better. His jaw will be healed up enough to remove the wiring in 7-8 weeks, and at that point, he should be good to go.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In the witcher 1, which I played for a little while, an optional part of the game is to get as many women as possible to gently caress your character. You get a pin-up card for each one. You don't have to do it, but it's there, and the game's premise makes sure that like, it's totally OK because Witchers can't get girls pregnant!

Put me off the series, although I've been told witcher 2 is better and 3 is excellent. I'll probably get around to them eventually.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

c... controller?

You europeans and your funny names for things like keyboards

In all seriousness though, it's been a few years but if I recall correctly, you just get a rated-pg cutscene or something? Your character goes into the brothel, does some dialogue, you lose five fantasybucks and then there's like maybe a single-frame cutscene that is mildly suggestive and then you get a pinup card that reveals some cleavage!

It's tame as hell. The offensive part is the women-as-pokemon thing.

e. Although I should reiterate that I stopped playing after probably not that far into the game and so maybe some of the gently caress quest objectives were more explicit, I dunno.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ultiville posted:

I'm just very close to out of patience with that kind of thing. Which I'll admit is totally personal since of course in all the Mass Effects and Dragon Ages you can hook up with a variety of aliens/fantasy aliens too, but the Witcher stuff I've seen felt more skeevy to me. Though if 3's better maybe I'll move it up on my list.

I don't mind relationship options in story games. Even ones with potential sex involved. That's realistic and can be done very well. (I haven't played ME or much Dragon Age so I have no opinion about them in particular). Even casual sex is fine, that's a real thing that real people do all the time, why shouldn't fictional characters have the option? If it fits with the story, then OK.

I also don't even really mind if a gamemaker decides to only make the hero be available as a particular character who has a fixed gender. It's not the only choice, but it's the same choice that a novelist makes about their protagonist, and we don't usually bitch about a novelist deciding to make their protagonist male. The wider problem here is that the games industry is still too focused on the male audience, but you can go watch a bunch of sarkasian videos if you want to learn more about that.

There is even sort of a place for having your protagonist character have the option of intentionally pursuing sex as a goal. I probably would not want that in a multiplayer game, but if you want to sit at home and roleplay trying to have sex, what's wrong with that? Games-as-wank-material is no less acceptable than books or magazines or websites or whatever. You can take it as far as an outright porn game, whatever floats your boat.

The objectionable part is objectification of women. Sexual conquests as a collectible card game.

I have a pretty simple test with these things. Would I be embarrassed to tell my wife I was doing this? If so, it's probably crossed a line.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That actually seems like a pretty good description of torment: tides of numenara. At least as far as I've gotten, which is to ~the second act. I've never had a game of this type where I did all of the various quests and stuff in an area and felt like every one of them was important to do and added to the story. The writing is pretty great, too.

Whatever you might feel about the numenara setting, it's a great game. Witcher 3 sounds like it's up my ally, too.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

I mean that's all very compelling but on the other hand, monte cook

Well, he helped make the original planescape: torment, and that is pretty universally acclaimed. I don't much care for his takes on D&D, but this game is pretty far afield from D&D.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

deciding to not play what is possibly the greatest fantasy rpg to date because the first entry had some stupid skeevy poo poo in it is about on par with buying thousands of dollars of gw crap then feeling the need to defend gws honor online

So, OK, but nobody in this thread has declared they won't play Witcher 3, so...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

allowing a dumb design decision from a 10 year old game to put you off from playing, again, quite possibly the best fantasy rpg ever, which is now coming up on 2 years old, isnt to the level of the previous example, but it is kinda silly

I agree. I didn't know they'd taken that "feature" out and we just had a nice conversation in which I learned that, and specifically said OK sounds good I might play the game then. I think Ultiville came to exactly the same conclusion.

Leperflesh posted:

I'll probably get around to them eventually.

Ultiville posted:

Though if 3's better maybe I'll move it up on my list.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Why are skeletons always depicted as white? Like OK, white skeletons are in the majority, but it's not like there are no brown skeletons. But they're just totally shut out of media representation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Black unlives matter

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ashcans posted:

One of the reasons that I am ok with Howling Banshees is that all male Eldar also have armor with sculpted pecs, and the poses aren't really any different from the other aspects. The female guardians have a different chestplate, but they still get sculpted abs and they share all the legs/arms, so they also have the same posing as the dudes.

well, OK, but also why would aliens have tits

I mean it's not like mammals would be anywhere but on Earth where they very very very clearly evolved.

OK ok don't actually answer this question, it's obvious. They're not actually aliens, they're Space Elves, and Tolkein-derived elves are obviously just extra-beautiful, extra-maudlin, extra-long-lived humans with a nature fetish. I understand.

But every time I see basically-human-but-with-this-one-specific-difference "aliens" I look at it as yet another wasted opportunity.

Which reminds me, I just saw Arrival and I really loved the aliens in that movie. They're so fuckin' weird that they're essentially incomprehensible to a normal human mind, and that's always been my image of what an actual intelligent alien would have to be.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah I'm really just asking for either the admission that 40k is a parody setting where laser elfs and football hooligan orks belong, or, just some minor concessions to realism to make aliens a little bit less just sexy slender humans with pointy ears and a little bit more like recognizably people but with motives and behaviors that humanity can't recognize in itself.

And speaking of novels. I'm a big fan of C.J. Cherryh, and I'm hesitant to recommend this series because... well, because it has basically lion people in it, and while it was written before Furries became a major thing at cons etc., I suspect it's a big draw for them. But I'mma do it anyway.

The Chanur series is worth a read. Cherryh's approach is that the oxygen-breathing species are much more akin to humans, in as much as they have understandable motives, are more or less bipedal with heads and arms and mouths where you'd expect them to be, etc. But the setting also has methane-breathers, and they're loving weird. There's a species that basically looks like a mobile cluster of giant french fries, for example. There's a species that flies around in systems just singing, and their songs have meaning, but the best oxy-breather translators can do with them is present the words in a grid because they're essentially "chords" of words that can be read in any direction (left to right, right to left, top to bottom, etc.).

And those are the ones that are more understandable.

So the oxy-breathers and methane-breathers can kinda sorta "trade" in as much as at least some of the methane-breathers kind of get the concept (you can give them something and they will give you something back) but for the most part it's best to just avoid them because sometimes they give you a rock and take a hunk of your ship in trade, or whatever.

It's some of Cherryh's earlier works and she had not yet hit a level of authorial mastery that she attained later, but I still have a soft spot for them. The story is about a human who was among the very first humans to make first contact with aliens from this whole different sector of space full of these aliens, and he winds up with the Chanur (the lion people) and they have to deal with the fallout. It's mostly written from the Chanur's perspective. Read it if you can tolerate fluffy lion-people whose society also just happens to be arranged like those of lions.

e. Oh yeah, David Brin's Uplift series has some good takes on aliens, ranging from uplifted Earth species (dolphins, apes) to community-mind stacks of symbiotic donuts. I read it so long ago that I've probably forgotten all the flaws, but I'm pretty sure Sundiver, Startide Rising, and The Uplift War are worth reading.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 12, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If you've read a lot of hard SF, tons of it - especially the stuff from the 60s and 70s - revolves around philosophical questions, "what if the universe were all just a dream in the mind of an ant" poo poo, mind-bending woo-woo stuff, etc. "What if we only perceive time as linear but it isn't really?" is completely in line with classic tropes of hard SF.

Arrival also really addresses the basics of what human communication actually is, and why translation is so hard, which is extremely in my personal interests, so that elevated the film in my eyes. Some folks might have found that stuff boring maybe.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Alien objectives:

-Recover the corpse of a specific, unremarkable line infantryman on the other side, at all costs.
-Get everyone in two particular units killed by the enemy
-flee off the opponent's edge of the board
-get into melee contact with the enemy commander so you can give him your most powerul weapon as a gift, and then have your best warrior fight him... but not to the death, if either combatant dies, you immediately lose
-dig a big hole and get all your surviving units into it by the end of turn five. Dudes in the hole are not allowed to fire out of the hole.
-just don't show up to the fight at all. Call your opponent on the phone and concede.
-your troops don't understand how to fight. They stand around dying passively until your opponent either stops, or kills them all.
-One unit charges into melee with your opponent, and then the rest of your army has to kill them before the enemy does.
-Capture an enemy commander, and then make him the leader of your army. Your forces loyally do whatever your opponent tells them to do. But if the commander tries to escape, kill him.
-Your forces cannot function in this environment. Deploy ordnance from orbit.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I like this

The paint job is not super, but I mean the model

e. shown off a bit better:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hixson posted:

Trick question. GW products are always worth the money

£80