Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

ZeroCount posted:

i would like to talk about star wars and/or anime

Would you buy a $250 Jyn Erso waifu doll if it had an anime aesthetic instead of an uncanny valley one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Giving GW money or spending money on raffle tickets in a F2P game: which is worse???

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Idk how easy they are to get in the states but I just got Bearguy P and Panda Guy gundams. There's also cat and dog guys which are also really cute and might be more interesting to (non-man)children.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think someone was trying to go for a punisher ghost look on this star wars "ghost" ship but it ended up looking like a opossum from this angle.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I really enjoyed rogue one, much more than TFA. But then I like anime so :shrug:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TKIY posted:

As for less bad GW I think they have improved but AoS is such a low point how could they be any worse?

We asked the same thing after the Chapterhouse debacle with the subsequent renaming of imperial guard, then came AOS.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

"time enough at last", except instead of reading the guy wants to finish painting all his models and he finds out his GW paint pots have all dried up

Literally me when I picked up The Hobby again.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I will probably get a snowspeeder sometime. I really want a Y-wing but it looks like they're sold out everywhere here where I'm on vacation. They're about half the US price for the kits. It's odd that an older release still be stocked but I can see why the Y wing would be incredibly popular. The engine cap can even be left off to see the amazing detail inside.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Whenever Picard starts doing his soliloquies is when TNG gets good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I hope all of you almost lost your hands and fingers exploding fireworks as I have. :)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I expected that the people in this thread, out of anyone in this forum, were the types to try to set fire to something or blow your hands off during New Years. Mortars are as dangerous as always. :)

Like hot drat I'm disappointed Moola hasn't posted about his annual compilation video of sticking fireworks up his bum yet.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

fnordcircle posted:

why blow up stuff with explosives when I can blow up fools with my posts

Both are similar, friend. The only difference is that fingers don't grow back as easily as posting privileges after probes, but they are p much the same.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Someone please make a photoshop of a dreadnought that carries space marines on its back like a opossum TIA

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/01/03/warhammer-world-new-years-open-day/

Saw on FB. Looks like they really changed stances (heh) on the goofy tau hooves despite having a great vision the first time.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Notahippie posted:

The dude that makes Kingdom Death defended their pinup models with "well, I have to keep my sculptors happy, and that means letting them sculpt what they want and they want to sculpt titties." Between that and Corvus Belli apparently having the same issues, I'm starting to get skeeved out by mini sculptors in general.
The director for the Girls Und Panzer anime said he had to restrain his artists from showing upskirts of characters and ruin what is otherwise a great sports series. Then of course all the extra OVA and other materials have fan service.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I have the tech bees model but I wish it was a buff dude showcasing it since it would be a perfect mecha representation of a Jojo Stand. As it is, i don't know when I'll ever assemble and paint it.

Sir Teabag posted:

is the future really going to be some sort of Spandex Utopia?
Let's hope so, friend.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dat time, GW wen made age of Sigmar yeah? We neva like dat. GW dun shishi on our game. No listen to Kirby, haole say any kine wen buy, brah. But the good kine, the opossum, cute yeah, an wow! Da opossum, he my bruddah, he kine to stay good. He say howzit and Kay den.

E: lol I forgot how annoying it was to type pidgin

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah I bet people once thought french or Latin will be the dominant language for scientific inquiry for eternity too. gently caress English, it's terrible.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thankfully there's plenty of WW2 German scrunt-tier tanks and halftracks to choose from for your project. I recommend the Tiger Porsche if you want a turd fire.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

JerryLee posted:

why is that at-at riding on a giant space roomba

To get to the other side!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Avenging Dentist posted:

I had that problem once. You just gotta get more fiber in your diet and you'll be right as rain.

Don't think the analogy really works. At least poop formerly contained nutrients.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Miniatures game. Imperial assault got FFG in hot water because they came too close to a board game something or other. Hasbro is the only company allowed to make Star Wars board games.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Saint Drogo posted:

welp, doesn't sound like they're doing anything about the rules bloat and enormous codex/rulebooks tax for new and returning players. I guess all they learned from Sigmar is that nerds dislike shouting FOR THE LADY or cramming bloodletters up their assholes for a +1 hit bonus but love points and loving space marines.

The tragedy is the reality is the complete opposite. Ask Moola about the blood letters and I love tipping my hat to lady passerby while playing Brets.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The argument for 40k being great because people could make their armies' backgrounds fit anywhere in the setting would be more palatable if every annoying Waagh-shouting player didn't actively make the universe smaller. I always made my army's background focus on them being a normal division that sits in a base and maybe gets deployed from time to time. It was terminal lance. The OC-do-not-steal backgrounds that talked about people's armies being in the forefront of the fiction were aggressively terrible. GW of course cultivated this by their annual armies on parade event which I assume still continues. Guess that's why I also hated the Star Wars EU and the authors' incessant need to have their characters interacting with the movie characters. :shrug:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

As far as I know there weren't just two expunged first founding legions in 40k, but easily a thousand. And perhaps 100 times that many successor chapters. And while important bits of 40k history were written like legends, they really skimped out on the Betrayal aboard that one ship where the now-chaos marine stabbed the emperor. I've heard at least 30 people talk about how their marines were actually on that ship, and that's just a small sample, so that ship was inconceivably larger than Noah's Ark!

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 8, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm actually glad X wing just had you use named pilots because if it was all generics with abilities, you can be damned sure that Luke Skywalker flew with at least 5000 pilot buddies in his short piloting stint as Rogue Leader.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Leperflesh posted:

My memory was that there were supposed to be (exactly?) 1000 chapters of Space Marines in the Imperium. GW has never even named more than maybe 200 of them, so that leaves enough that no gamer who ever made up their own chapter could ever be straight-up contradicted by the canon. Unfortunately, GW went down a modeling path of gradually eliminating generic space marine models - used to be you mostly could only buy chapter-agnostic little dudes, plus a smattering of special characters etc. from various factions. But then in the 1990s, more and more chapter-specific models started to proliferate, encouraging players to play one of the canonical chapters instead of making up their own. These days I have no idea if it's even possible to buy official GW models of a complete fieldable space marine army containing no chapter-specific models?

I could never afford to get into 40k when I was a teenager so I didn't even try, but I still made up chapter names and doodles my own little chapter insignia in my lined notebooks during class instead of paying attention. Nerds love to theorize about their favorite settings, but if the only space you leave them is your already ridiculously over-described major plots and specific planets, then all they can do is insert their terrible fanfic ideas into those stories.
Oh I was talking about the founding legions. There are supposedly 2 expunged ones but with the many people I've met playing 40k, there were easily a thousand. Every other marine player was totally the spoopy lost legion that was really important and fought on that battle barge where Horus fatally wounded the emperor.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I think an over abundance codex "splatbooks" are a reasonable definition of bloat even if you didn't need to use them all. You didn't need many, if at all, splatbooks to play D&D 3.5 either.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

5th introduced TLOS and removed the area abstraction mechanics of forests. A huge step back to 80s style game design.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm Cruxis Crusade.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The Tarzan the Infinite soliloquy at the end of Act 2 is really good. Ironically, it ends with him crying to the heavens that Necrons will never truly die while the audience knows about the reduction in Necron UPCs.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 9, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Dramatis Personae was the second worst part of Michael Stackpole's Gary Stu X wing novels.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

May you get a longer shelf life than your brother Bloodbowl.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Mantic needs Angel Giraldez painting NMM and cel shaded minis for them. Their models are similar to Infinity's flat surfaces.

Then everyone like me will be disappointed in our paint jobs because we're not as good at blending.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I spent 8 hours yesterday learning and playing forbidden stars with my friends. We did it because my friend found it for $50 and my other friends "wanted to play a warhammer game." They've assembled and painted some models and know about the fiction. I told them how wrong they were but said I'll explain it in the end. It was a great game and we left satisfied. I then explained to them how different it would be had it been a GW 40k product (especially on the finer qualities of warlord traits) and how they got to play a good warhams game before the FFG/GW split.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You should try forbidden stars if you want a great Ameritrash game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BULBASAUR posted:

Which makes no sense with such a massive IP. You don't just piss away years of brand recognition for no good reason. Nobody does this because it's bad and dumb.
I continue to purchase pepsi products when I have no other choice. :negative:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tzeentch is pronounced like Change, as in the Lord of Change.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am glad that GW is finally honoring the results of the online campaign from 15 years ago with the fall of Acadia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hamshot posted:

Tzeentch and Tzoong.
So good warhammer media does exist!

• Locked thread