Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

BULBASAUR posted:

Hey nerds did you hear the news:

ITS NOT AGE OF EMPEROR GUYS IT'S NOT

so dumb. how does GW not own "Eldar"? Isn't that a name unique to their IP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

TheChirurgeon posted:

so dumb. how does GW not own "Eldar"? Isn't that a name unique to their IP

It's from Lord of the Rings. Yes, this is how unoriginal GW is.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
They do as they have been publishing unique Eldar content for decades. I have no idea what they are thinking unless they just want to re brand the entire universe.

Which makes no sense with such a massive IP. You don't just piss away years of brand recognition for no good reason. Nobody does this because it's bad and dumb.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

Which makes no sense with such a massive IP. You don't just piss away years of brand recognition for no good reason. Nobody does this because it's bad and dumb.

lol

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Avenging Dentist posted:

It's from Lord of the Rings. Yes, this is how unoriginal GW is.

Ohhhh right

hahahaha gently caress that's dumb

Though with regard to originality, let's be real: They're just following the long tradition started by TSR

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Avenging Dentist posted:

My god they've done it. They've really done it. The least readable dice on the planet:

I literally do not know which is the 1 and which is the 6 (I'd guess the Tzeentch symbol is the 6 but it has 1 circle, and most of the others are determined by counting the circles).

Tzeentch= 9, because that is Tzeentch's sacred number. It can be also used as any other number, because Tzeentch works in mysterious ways.

Skull = Everything dies and becomes skulls. If you rolled to attack, the thing you attacked dies. The attacker also dies.

The other symbols = Chaos wins, because it is a Chaos star. If you play Chaos, good for you, you will win everytime. If you don't play Chaos, you are in luck because you can buy some Bloodgod Blooddudes with Bloodblooders for just 40$ per figure, or a whole squad of five for just 201$.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Aeldari is a joke yes?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
M'iyagri

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Aeldari actually sounds OK to me whereas simon loving templeman couldn't make 'orruks' or 'aelves' sound cool.

My guess is still that the renaming is less to do with IP bullshit and more that GW management are the kind of retarded that thinks these forgettable call-a-rabbit-a- smeerp names actually make them unique or exciting.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I guess they'll have to rename Ultramarines too since that's just a color. My suggestion is to call them The Blue Man Group.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Thirsty Dog posted:

AeldariGW is a joke yes?

Yes.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

How's the bad thread taking this? Are there any KoW players telling them to quit bitching and loudly yell about how excited they are to buy new models under the new ruleset?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
A mirror to the old warhammer thread, pretty much. People think GW is really turning things around or whatever.

Never mind them drowning in GWs poo poo for the last 10 years.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah hard to get more WHFB than this:

Texmo posted:

Not too worried, since 40k isn't selling so incredibly poorly as to be worth destroying its' setting in favor of one which is much more popular and sells better than that which it replaced.

Stockholm isn't just a city in Sweden.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
On the bright side, the poo poo has kernels now so you're getting something extra. This is a real improvement.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

BULBASAUR posted:

They do as they have been publishing unique Eldar content for decades. I have no idea what they are thinking unless they just want to re brand the entire universe.

WHO COULD HAVE SEEN THIS COMING???

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

at least the fantasy people didn't have a step-by-step precedent on what was going to happen

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
That is an interesting philosophical question, is something worse if it was sudden and you had no idea what was going to happen or if you know your doom and how it will play out and no way to avert it

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
How is Eldar any less stupid than Aeldari? They're both just made up. You're just more familiar with one.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
this just in star wars is renaming the Imperial faction to be the Empeerials faction as this will help with sales and brand recognition worldwide

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

starkebn posted:

How is Eldar any less stupid than Aeldari? They're both just made up. You're just more familiar with one.

You've answered your own question m8

starkebn
May 18, 2004

I'm just saying wether the name is stupid or not is a different argument to wether it's stupid for GW to bother wanting to trademark everything.

Aeldari or Eldar are neither stupid or not stupid, GW is stupid

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The difference is that "eldar" in the Tolkien sense isn't strictly made-up. The man was a professional linguist who developed languages as a hobby and they were internally consistent and often had roots in real world languages.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

starkebn posted:

I'm just saying wether the name is stupid or not is a different argument to wether it's stupid for GW to bother wanting to trademark everything.

Aeldari or Eldar are neither stupid or not stupid, GW is stupid

It's stupid because they already have brand recognition with "Eldar" and now they're tossing that in the garbage for dubious reasons. In isolation, "Aeldari" is only stupid because of the unnecessary addition of a dipthong.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It sounds Italian. Are we getting Italian space elves?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

It sounds Italian. Are we getting Italian space elves?

Yeah Italian space elves and Italian american space elves

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BULBASAUR posted:

I continue to purchase pepsi products when I have no other choice. :negative:

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Thirsty Dog posted:

Aeldari is a joke yes?

NOPE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPb17XN5W0g

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Moola I await your updated version of the song Aeldari Gonna Give It To Ya

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

The difference is that "eldar" in the Tolkien sense isn't strictly made-up. The man was a professional linguist who developed languages as a hobby and they were internally consistent and often had roots in real world languages.

~orruk goregrunta~

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Not to skip a chance to jump on GW but if that's the source of the "They're changing the name of the Eldar" rumor it seems a little thin. Especially if, from that video, it looks like they're using Aeldari as a way to differentiate the Eldar of today with the Eldar from before the schism.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Aelf brand synergy

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

someone with a cockney accent is definitely just saying faction names with a bunch of peanut butter in their mouths while an intern is frantically googling them to see if they're ip protected

ogres - ogors
orcs - orruks
dwarven - duardin
eldar - aeldari

starkebn
May 18, 2004

DoW fan: hey guys, I want to start playing collecting tabletop, Eldar are my favourite!

GW nerd: actually they're called Aeldari now *cringes*

DoW fan: idgaf, where are the models?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not to skip a chance to jump on GW but if that's the source of the "They're changing the name of the Eldar" rumor it seems a little thin. Especially if, from that video, it looks like they're using Aeldari as a way to differentiate the Eldar of today with the Eldar from before the schism.

I smell another supplement codex coming. Aeldari, being led by the mysterious red guy from Fall of Cadia, representing a union of craftworld, exodites and dark eldar.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

starkebn posted:

DoW fan: hey guys, I want to start playing collecting tabletop, Sisters of Battle are my favourite!

GW nerd: actually they don't exist anyone *cringes*

DoW fan: Oh. Well guess I'll go play Infinity.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I can also come up with at least six possible pronunciations of Aeldari whereas Eldar is fairly unambiguous.

Is the initial Ae supposed to be pronounced like the i in ice, the a in way, or the e in meter? Is the final i a long e or a long i?

Remember, this is a setting that used daemons as the common spelling but pronounced it like demon (is this a British thing?) and where no one could agree on how to say lasgun.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I thought daemon was a Greek thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Tzeentch is pronounced like Change, as in the Lord of Change.

• Locked thread