Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I mean this is the thread where GW games take 4 hours to play, it's easy to find a frostgrave/dark age/random osprey game opponent, all rulebooks are free and warmahordes is cheap.

Those are both true :psyduck: like holy poo poo if you think posters are making it up just to post :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

same with X-wing

I have loads of wangs but I'd never want to play some massive epic game with all my models

gimme quick cool skirmish games please

:same: I have all sorts of painted ships but :lol: at wanting to play epic games because "bigger is better."

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I've never had a GW game take more than 3 hours, plenty of companies still charge for rulebooks, PP models aren't cheap at all and you need two 75 point non-overlapping lists to have a chance in the default tournament format, and I've played all over the region (which probably has one of the largest, most active tabletop scenes in the US) and have yet to see people playing pickup games of frostgrave or whatever.
I was typing up a long reply here but I realized what I was doing so I'll just say OK.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

but wont GW be mad?

Why do you care? GW isnt even your real dad

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

warmachine doesnt sound fun

I thought I saw you playing DOTA on steam before, but it's basically that in minis form.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm getting the L2 booty bike.

Texmo posted:

If the miniatures are garbage, it's kind of a waste of your time (which is arguably more valuable than your money) to bother painting them at all, and if you find the gameplay more important than the spectacle why even bother with miniatures over, say, cardboard cut-out standees like these?

Those own, but this is also why i prefer skirmish: I'd rather have 10-15 nicely painted minis you could display over 100 that look mediocre. Probably missing arms and heads too, if we're being honest.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yo Moola, did you ever finish that skull boy?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hamshot posted:

:allears:

Just as an example, this is a thing I would like to see less of:

Conversely, this is a thing I would like to see more of:

There is plenty to poo poo on about GW. You guys target the wrong things, and just generally suck at it.

So who is this and why should we care? Is he one of Kirby's lackeys? Is he some company rep? Gimme some funny glass door reviews if we're talking about making GBS threads on GW here.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The one thing I wish GW did better was post funny job ads the way WOTC regularly does. Can't really beat asking software developers and senior project managers to take huge pay cuts while living in Seattle.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

you're gonna have to way, WAY more specific buddy

Well, originally I was trying to say bot but autocorrect changed it and I was pretty sure you were going to know what I was talking about. Skull boy also sounded funnier.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Skull boy sounds like a close relative of the spicy boy.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Rulebook Heavily posted:

it was clearly two sculpts tacked together lifelessly, I wish they'd devoted some drat attention to it

I've wanted to get this for a while but :lol: at both the price and the tiny points of contact. Can you easily remove the elf rider? That might make it more desirable.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Irate Tree posted:

AoS abridged :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nv76rG7N4A

Not really, i just wanted an excuse to share the cool trailer

[image comparing AI-chan's facial expressions made on a shoestring budget to a AAA game dev facial expressions]

Is this game supposed to be good? I'm still trying to finish Bloodborne but my bro keeps using the system to play Overwatch.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Southern Heel posted:

So more or less as predicted it appears 8E is basically oriented around the AoS model of having big one-trick-pony armies which get lots of 'cool' synergies and bonuses. Check out the Miniwargaming reports: three bloodthirsters versus four tanks. A regular Eldar army versus an army of bikes. Reminds me of the AoS reports I've seen where there is this one strategy the entire force is oriented around.

I'm having a game of L'Art De La Guerre today (which is the groggiest of grog historicals but hear me out), for the first time - and it's about as black-and-white as a comparison could be - every army has three commanders, each representing the vanguard and each wing. Each troop choice has a standard profile (imagine a universal special rule for all 'light skirmishers') with +1 or -1 modifiers depending on whether they're elite or mediocre. They have scissors-papers-stone relationships with each other: elephants destroy cavalry, but themselves are weak to skirmishers. Barbarians smash spearmen but have their impetus sapped by well trained heavy infantry without the need for seventeen different statistics and weapon profiles.

Command is a limited resource to be spent each turn, and troops The typical army has a minimum number of elements (translated roughly to a Force-Org chart from 40k) and many optional parts and savvy commanders need to know where to apply pressure, where to retreat and how to maximise the resources to hand. The game is extremely well written and streamlined to be as competitive as possible while retaining all of the flavour of massed battles from antiquity to the age of gunpowder.

Compare that to 'I will win if my three bloodthirsters get into combat, so the outcome of the game is based entirely on rolling dice to see if you kill them before then, i.e. I effectively auto-win or auto-lose this game with literally no strategy OR tactics'. I know that the three bloodthirster army is an egregious example but clearly something that GW are keen on fostering with so many synergies, mega-units and so on. I bet you could easily just write a program for the previously mentioned game without even having any models.

Sounds amazing. I'm looking at the game now and it doesn't look all the groggy. . (I guess I define groggy as incredibly involved with dumb minutiae.... like 40K.) Could probably use my Brets and samurai and fight my friend's ogres and lizardmen with this stuff.

e: i of course say this without the slightest bit of irony in that my friends and I are now enjoying 18xx games and the COIN system. We'll probably be playing advanced squad leader in a few years

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 9, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sometimes I wonder why minis games looking for a good start to a completely overhauled system don't just copy points and mechanics wholesale from some groggy wargame and go from there. I mean, those groggy games probably have reams of spreadsheets behind them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

anti_strunt posted:

Yeah, the exhaustion mechanic was what stood out to me. Our circle still has a bunch of old DBA armies from when ran some campaigns (really prefer DBA as a campaign system rather than a tournament system); will definitely check this game out and see if it scratches the 15mm itch. Thanks for making me aware of it!

Well, going by the very arch quote above L'Art De La Guerre appears to have based its army lists largely on DBM. :cheeky: (There are certainly worse sources to start from.)

Just wondering why GW just didn't strap these rules into a warhammer or 40k ruleset and call it a day. Though I guess at some point they run out of different types of artillery and, as sci-fi games have this problem, they "need" dozens of types of weapons.

As much as I like infinity, :lol: that it has 5 types of airborne deployment.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ilor posted:

To be fair, 40K has this too: Reserves, Outflanking Reserves, Deep Strike, and SpaceWolf Scout Outflanking Reserves. The only difference is that in Infinity, they're all in the same place in the rulebook. :shrug:

Right. I like infinity, like I said. I'm actually prepping the fat yuan yuan right now. It's still ridiculous that SF minis games all feel the need to have that much granularity. Did you ever have that one friend that insisted katanas were radically different from other bastard swords and that it was a travesty that D&D treated them the same?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ilor posted:

Katanas are different - they suck against heavy armor. But I'll bet that's not what your weeaboo friend had in mind, am I right?

I am the weeaboo friend. But not about the swords bit. That was my other friend who loved talking about them as much as Gygax loved polearms.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola posted:

I used to have that one weeb friend that insisted a katana could cut clean through a lamppost

They are powerful weapons.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Moola is online bullying me on steam 😢

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's a fat yuan yuan

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's a meme that only shows up when people start talking about Hanzo steel. I'm pretty sure the longsword hype got rolled into the variety of -isms with the Deus Vult! meme.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The point of rifling wasn't to spin the bullet so it had a straighter path. It was to spin two half-bullets, essentially making them both screwballs, so the samurai could only have time to cut one of them in half.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There's too many good ones to choose from

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

anti_strunt posted:

TLOS is an abomination before the Lord, but so is forbidding pre-measuring so it's not like Infinity comes out perfect either.

Not really, at all? Because Infinity is working from very different fundamentals and so has very different issues (and for the issues it suffers, has to my mind less of a discrepancy between its ambition and mechanics)?

What both systems DO have in common, to their joint detriment, is that they evolved from RPG systems rather than being designed from the start as wargames, much like DnD was a wargame somewhat unhappily kludged into an RPG.

Thankfully we now have gloomhaven for actually good and interesting D&D combat mechanics stilled mixed in with the RPG. It is the 4.5 of D&D, if only the designers went in that direction instead of the reactionary 5e.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Leperflesh posted:

It's both. Because not only is the task very difficult or perhaps impossible, but the game has never been reasonably balanced, and the habit of tacking on new products with their own new rules designed to sell those products sabotages any chance it might have had. Throw in the over-reliance on randomness, fiddly true-line-of-sight, etc. etc. and you've got an overly ambitious game that is also badly made.

40k's a science fiction setting with magic that has gretchen fighting on the same battlefield as the living incarnations of gods. That's never going to work well, but if there is a company with the rules-writing chops to take on such a project, it isn't Games Workshop.

In a Facebook group I'm part of, someone said they disliked the 8th edition toughness/armor rules because some things just shouldn't be able to wound things with such disparate stats that it reminded me of this post. Frankly, I disagree. We have fighting games that have characters that are living gods fighting against fat, mortal men who don't look like they've ever been close to an arena. We even have board game concepts of these things. This is just a flavor issue. Even with 40k's stats, I wouldn't mind if the living incarnation of a god just hit 16% better than a highly trained human, who also hits 16% better than a farm boy. The difference is that in 40k especially, the idea of Humanity being about equal to deities just hasn't been normalized. So you get people ranting about how Khorne shouldn't be able to be touched by puny laser guns at all. I say gently caress that bitch, he's getting shot full of holes.

E: it might stem from the RPG nature of these things too. D&D has made a lot of people internalize the linear fighter, exponential wizard.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

*Large mechanical construct that has the power to burn down entire forests appears*

*is taken down by a tribe of literal teddy bears*

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

dmnz posted:

Fair enough. I have not seen it take to such an extreme.

A few of us here are refugees from the old grognards.txt threads. We have experienced these things, and we are very opinionated about them for good reason. A lot of them sound like funny hypotheticals, but hoo boy if you actually played a campaign long enough with one of "those guys." There wouldn't be as much of a problem if book of 9 swords was also standard, but go figure that a lot of nerds vs. jock proponents wizards who have an axe to grind didn't like that supplement for some reason.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Or just play Gloomhaven. :getin:

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

4e d&d

it's not really a "those guys" problem, a wizard that just takes some save-or-suck spells is way better than a core fighter (assuming from the bo9s references you're talking about 3.5e)

Yeah. An average wizard player would take those no-brainer spells. I guess I should've said it from the other side, which is that unless someone deliberately gimps their wizard, you are definitely running into that problem.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The rune wars activation system is great! I think that given enough experience, the "hidden initiative" portion will be less hidden once everyone is familiar with the dials. There's only so much each unit can do because their stats are rather specific with their roles. I do like that system though since it really punishes lack of foresight when attempting to charge. The only potentially negative part about the game is the puzzle-shaped bases. If people get good enough at them, you can get into situations where you slide sideways to avoid a charge because the puzzle portion sticking out won't connect. You could say this happens in any measuring game, but given that you now have the choice for manipulating these ranges, this can be seen as either a good or bad thing. Having played x-wing long enough, there are people good enough to judge the difference in mm's pretty readily.

My friend and I enjoy playing the game but we agreed that we'll just write down movements on paper and proxy the minis with our historical/WHFB stuff because we already have them.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Being able to make wands was one of those other things that more or less made the whole spell slot limitation meaningless.

Some of the most fun I've had playing RPGs was a campaign we had that treated wizards' spells as the Vancian ammunition they were. We had a bunch of gunslingers playing in a Western, more or less. Funny thing is that this was done in 4e using dark sun rules.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm trying a "new" (2011) game this weekend called Bushido by GCT studios. All the rules are free online, including unit cards. I say new because my friend saw a review about it on SUSD during a recent games expo and the comments were intriguing. I have to check the charts again later but I think the charts actually had Xd6 curves in mind for the numbers.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Well my Friday got better. Thanks LP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There's currently a thread on dakka about rape and bondage figures and the mods there decided that the people complaining about it were wrong and the thread should just be about earnest posts about purchasing the figures.

• Locked thread