Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

I played two games of Codenames over the Christmas weekend. One game was very good. The other was made somehow better by my mother not quite understanding the rules. Like at all.

Good recommendation from a good thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The official Star Wars bible constantly references West End Games material as a core source and doesn't consider it to be EU. Even the prequels used it as a reference framework at points, down to things like the naming of Coruscant and how the Empire/old republic worked.

The EU stuff is pretty terrible in general though and each version of the bible has stripped more and more of it away. Post Disney purchase most of the EU stuff is gone but in turn most of the West End Games stuff continues to be used.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Glad to see the protagonist faction effect is still in full force in the Age of the Emperor.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I'm not an expert in such things, but that looks like an absolute pain in the arse to transport anywhere.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Except I like the Eldar, and I like the Eldar aesthetic. Saying that you didn't like the existing aesthetic, and presumably didn't buy any, and instead you like the new one, is just pissing in the cereal of all the people who actually like and bought Eldar, ever.

A thousand former WHFB players all nod in agreement here, with the strangest experience of having once been in exactly your shoes.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Saint Drogo posted:

it's not actual gold it's bits of grimnir (née gotrek) they get high off of

It's also probably not even bits of grimnir, but instead bits of slannesh that they have been misled into snorting. The only person who knows the truth is Sigmar and in a dickish move he's not telling them the truth.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

It's pretty telling that everyone who has something positive to say about the new eldar leaks and models prefaces it with "I'm not an Eldar player but..."

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Irate Tree posted:

Armoured suit on hosed up bird/lion.

Nice Choccobo.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I confess Papa Smurf coming back and being all "What the gently caress have you done?" is an idea I quite like.

I fully expect them to gently caress it up.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Whats the XCOM board game like?

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

One of the things that AOS has working against it is some of it's fanbase. There were a lot of people posting in the AOS thread who had a self awareness of the flaws of the game and still enjoyed it and were able to discuss its flaws, but in turn there are those fans who are just so resistant to criticism about the product and suggestions for improvement that they will shut down discussion (or even the thread) whenever any suggestions come up. And that doesn't create an environment where ideas for improvements can really come about and in turn makes it harder for the developers to get the feedback they need.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Wait, even with points the first turn still goes to who places less models on the table? I thought that existed only as a "balancing" mechanic when they had no points.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Highlights of the 40k thread right now are SG showing up to tell them it will all end in tears and Greenmarine posting to confirm he closed the AOS thread because it wasn't enough of a hug box.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I play Dwarves, because I like winning and also hate the idea of anyone else having fun or cool stuff happening in a game I am playing.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I like Dwarves. I like the stupid concept of steampunk dwarves. I hate those overly busy and yet lifeless models.

This has been my hot take.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Actually I would like those models if the lore was that the steam that powers them is the lingering remains of the lost souls of the dwarves of the old world, the army being made up of cogwork machines that mirrored what the dwarves had been once in life, but were now merely automatons powered by a million grudges that would never be settled.

But it's not so I stick with my "those models are bad" stand point.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

If you think about it, wishing death upon cultures and pursuits you don't really understand and that are alien to you is the most 40k thing of them all.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

The sisters will probably never get truly squatted because the fluff writers like using them so much.

How they use them is another matter completely.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

From what they have mentioned so far, I think 8th will be something really neat. But then again, I really like Age of Sigmar.

I really don't care for the AOS rule set, but I will say I think it'll be significantly less jarring for 40K players to go from their rules to something closer to AOS than it was for Fantasy players.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Perhaps they could sell the rules in 52 parts in all good newsagents to complete the binder, each release coming weekly and the first purchase just 99p (future releases £5.99)

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

Without going into too much detail about it, because honestly I might need the money one day, there was a previous commissioning editor at the Black Library who at one point was making a push towards getting some writers to do some shorts/novels about the setting away from the battle field. Some people had some ideas and pitches accepted only to have the offers rescinded when they made the decision that all warhammer novels needed to have a battle element to them, which led to the spacemarine battles series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

My buddy once left half his models at home by accident when we were playing X-wing. He had to use cocktail sausages to represent his tie swarm.

I mean I'm sure I could feel disrespected by this, but thinking back on this I still laugh at the memory of it.

• Locked thread