Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Captain Rufus posted:

WHY THE gently caress ARE YOU EVEN IN THIS THREAD?

Help me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Crackbone posted:

GW is not good.

But neither is this thread.

Rude

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

ea just released the steaming pile of dogshit known as mass effect andromeda so maybe hold your horses there chief!

ME:A has been a ton of fun. I guess it is not some weird platonic ideal of a perfect game though?

Playing games is really fun though guys! I would recommend it for all of us!

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Xarbala posted:

Witcher 3

Fair.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Having a fixed character really helped make the Witcher games as strong as they are narratively. Playing as a guy with a personality instead of a self insertion husk has so much more flavor.

So excited about them selling the Shadow Wars Armageddon rules separately. I was a little bummed that other local players signed up to give GW money before I could. :keke:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

deciding to not play what is possibly the greatest fantasy rpg to date because the first entry had some stupid skeevy poo poo in it is about on par with buying thousands of dollars of gw crap then feeling the need to defend gws honor online

:kiss:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

spectralent posted:

I mean you just described the major problem with capitalism

Tell me more. :allears:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

spectralent posted:

Monopolies are bad. Incentives to create monopolies encourage them. Sorry if my crazy soviet beliefs are controversial.

:)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hixson posted:

Guys, there's a whole lot of mad posting going on in here. Everyone take a deep breath and post something nice! I'll start:

Games Workshop produces games that I have fun playing, and I am appreciative of that :)

This, but ironically. I get upset that a company that I admittedly never engage with does things I find disappointing, but yet I can't stop posting.

:)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

:argh:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think I suddenly have two metal Stegadons. eBay is dangerous.

:siren::siren::siren: Dinos Riding Dinos :siren::siren::siren:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Seeing my hated foes the Lizardmen always is a good thing. It is always weird to me they never did a 40k army of Space Dinos. The Dark Eldar snake man should be made into a Tau Slave Race Comrade of the Greater Good.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Hixson posted:

Template bad.

:eyepop: Forums Poster Hixson just has faced Ironfire one too many times.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

tallkidwithglasses posted:

6mm historicals are perfect in every way and everyone should play them.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Battleshock my dick

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The Bee posted:

get more market share

https://icv2.com/articles/markets/view/36971/top-5-non-collectible-miniature-games-fall-2016

Age of Sigmar is still the 4th biggest game, and only X-Wing and Warmachine are owned by another company. Even as bad as Age of Sigmar is, even games I think are great like Infinity and KoW can't beat it.

Most gaming companies are insects to GW.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

The Bee posted:

Huh, interesting figures! Although I think counting Warmahordes as two identities is a bit of a misnomer. Is there a numbered list so I can see if Warnahordes net beats out 40k too?

I am pretty sure they would be bigger than AoS for sure. Before X-Wing Warmachine was always #2, but I doubt it and hordes together are bigger than 40k. I have been outside of that industry for a while so it may have changed.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Wow. That is pretty surprising! Star Wars gonna Star Wars though. The Star Trek X-Wing is a real shocker though. No one ever played that locally, and at least Armada did pretty well except for pricing all the X-Wing players out.

FFG have a brutal business model. I just couldn't handle X-Wing after they made all the ships I actually wanted. gently caress buying a big dumb ship for one card.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I think the biggest thing Mantic did wrong was rely to heavily on Kickstarter. At my FLGS all the people who would even consider trying out an Unknown Game from a company that made GW knock offs minis backed the Kickstarter because of sweet savings. So obviously the store doesn't carry any because the player base has what they need, and is willing to buy online to cut out local small business.

So no games are played in the store, and no interest is generated. So the game just fades away.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Catch 22; without Kickstarter Kings of War as it is now doesn't exist, and remains a booklet game with mostly metal minis for half the armies at best, but without the large savings and stretch goal freebies enough gamers won't throw enough money at it to make it happen.

Oh absolutely. I actually really like what Mantic is doing, and I certainly don't blame them for going back to the well to take all risk out of their business. It is just that no store in their right mind would carry the product line.

It is not nearly as bad as the Kickstarted board game craze. I wish my local store carried the Mantic Necromunda terrain. That stuff is ace.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TKIY posted:

Soooo...

GW is good and cool, eh?

:sparkles:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

PrinnySquadron posted:

IIRC, They've said they acquired L5R for more than just the card game, but who knows if that just means "and also an RPG"

L5R has been my main roleplaying game since it's 1st edition, and I can't wait for a new edition by someone else. I liked the recent 4th edition bunches, but the math was always really wonky. A whole new system might be just the thing.

Anything would be better than 2nd though.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

adhuin posted:

I'd rather have a skirmish level game than massed ranks game.

Also plastic samurai minis that aren't completely crap would be nice.

:shrug:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

:coolfish:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Moola posted:

here is dog wearing scarf

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

We still haven't seen 8e Orks.

They could go full Fury Road.

They -should- go full Fury Road.

:same:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

ijyt posted:

£50 for 5 and wouldnt even be surprised. Starter box photo suggests they come in 10's though.

I welcome our bigly overlords

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Pawl posted:

GW is Not Bad but I'm not sure I'm ready to call them Good yet

Wwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaatttttttt

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TKIY posted:

Fine. Acne, Fedora, button down shirt with tribal dragons all over it.

Don't doxx me

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

:lol: if you don't explicitly wear only DBZ button up shorts covered in Super Saiyans when you go outside

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Giant Isopod posted:

I honestly don't know if this is a typo or not

Yes, but those as well.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TKIY posted:

This is simply not true. It was pure, good old fashioned Stockholm Syndrome and you know it.

Notorious AoS Effort Poster TKIY.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

gently caress. You.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Soulfucker posted:

However, I don't understand why nuGW felt it was necessary to justify them with new cringeworthy background material instead of simply going "here's truescale marines, lol"

Yeah. The background for them is so dumb. They even could have done interesting stuff with old Marines getting mad about being replaced, or having the Bigmarines basically being flesh robots that need regular Marine officers to lead them. But no.

Being able to guzzle that sweet, sweet geneseed and grow big and strong really takes away a lot of potential interesting storylines.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TheChirurgeon posted:

So basically cool stuff won't happen for another 10 years and 4 more imperial books

To be fair The Horus Heresy is about a pretty specific thing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

For_Great_Justice posted:

Least until they pull Superman totally wasn't dead with Sanguineus.

Well, we know they have both his body and his blood. :drac:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Kithkar posted:

Watch them gently caress it up by having him come back full vampire tho.

Wow. Some bad opinions ITT.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

For_Great_Justice posted:

Now that everything is basically leaked its fun to watch the "everything is fine" blinders go on. Its not the game everyone thought it would be clearly an of course the books have errors already.

Thing is there was nothing really stopping them from releasing full codexes on release. Just starter books then make everyone shell out for "real" codexes later, love it.

:qq:

I can't hear you over the sound of people being mad over some get you by rules.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TTerrible posted:

"Hurr durr your books don't burst into flames you can play the old editions just fine" is the worst fallacy in mainstream wargaming. Model support, communities and your pool of players dries up almost immediately.

Quoted for truth. Move forward or rot in your Grog Tomb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Just opened a box of the new Tyranid Warriors and they were packaged with 40mm bases in place of the correct 50mm bases. gently caress this bullshit, guess I am not going to even try 8th now!

:mad:

• Locked thread