Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

berzerkmonkey posted:

Cost. Considering that, from what I've heard, it takes two base boxes to make "playable" units for the game, you're looking at a similar army cost to AoS/WFB.

Also, I didn't mention AoS, so there was no need to bring it up.

It's a defensive tick of this thread. It's so conditioned by it's own spiel it can't concede when there is a worse game than AoS

all games apart for 40k are worse than AoS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fantasy flight games acquired Legend of the Five Rings back in 2015. They could be using this as a way to test a system for the setting. The system is good, models are fine. The caterpillar skeleton guy is what I was mostly after.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Chill la Chill posted:

Fantasy flight games acquired Legend of the Five Rings back in 2015. They could be using this as a way to test a system for the setting. The system is good, models are fine. The caterpillar skeleton guy is what I was mostly after.

I would be incredibly stoked for an FFG ranked battle game to replace Clan War, but FFG really loves their abysmal house setting. I find it easier to believe they're using the setting because they inexplicably like it rather than as a test bed for better properties.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

IIRC, They've said they acquired L5R for more than just the card game, but who knows if that just means "and also an RPG"

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

EverettLO posted:

I would be incredibly stoked for an FFG ranked battle game to replace Clan War, but FFG really loves their abysmal house setting. I find it easier to believe they're using the setting because they inexplicably like it rather than as a test bed for better properties.

We scored some really cheap warlords "test of honor" samurai and they just about fit the circles. We will definitely be proxying the game with an abundance of samurai. Of course, we'd be using them for kings of war too.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

PrinnySquadron posted:

IIRC, They've said they acquired L5R for more than just the card game, but who knows if that just means "and also an RPG"

L5R has been my main roleplaying game since it's 1st edition, and I can't wait for a new edition by someone else. I liked the recent 4th edition bunches, but the math was always really wonky. A whole new system might be just the thing.

Anything would be better than 2nd though.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Cat Face Joe posted:

why does the big one at the bottom only have one childe solider? or is she actually a 10000 year old demon who can create copies of herself to pilot it?

The one at the bottom is an instructor, who gets a modern tank because she's an adult in her thirties. Very little of the show makes sense, but the tank battles are fun.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

EverettLO posted:

fortunately this gave us Netrunner after the pile of garbage that was Android

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

PrinnySquadron posted:

While they didn't officially confirm that an L5R RPG is coming from FFG, they did pretty much say something along the lines of "we'd be dumb not to do it."

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

I'd rather have a skirmish level game than massed ranks game.

Also plastic samurai minis that aren't completely crap would be nice.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

New Angeles is also a fantastic game.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

StashAugustine posted:

I own Android. I have played Android multiple times. I am glad I own Android and would not sell it.

I'm not sure I would say I like Android.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

adhuin posted:

:shrug:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
These models are so loving cool.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Good like GW.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Moola that's excellent. Can you find one for Gundams so boom^3 can smile when the paywall is down?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

adhuin posted:

Well that also announced they're rebooting the setting all the way to before the scorpion coup, which was also the time period that the rpg launched with. This could let the game breath a bit before they get to the clan wars and any miniature game associated with it.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So Shadow War Armageddon is Necromunda and 8th Edition is going to be some 2nd/7th hybrid?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Aside from everything having a movement stat I don't think 8th is cribbing much from 2nd?

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

ilmucche posted:

Moola that's excellent. Can you find one for Gundams so boom^3 can smile when the paywall is down?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

RagnarokAngel posted:

Aside from everything having a movement stat I don't think 8th is cribbing much from 2nd?

Save modifiers? damage? maybe I'm just drinking too much kool aid.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Southern Heel posted:

Save modifiers? damage? maybe I'm just drinking too much kool aid.

If anything, I'd say it's closer to an improved version of AoS than 2nd edition. Yeah there's split fires and multiple damage and movement, but no 2nd edition overwatch or armor values (everything has a toughness and wounds now), morale out of AoS, and a combat system more similar to AoS (which is good, 2nd edition's close combat was a disaster).

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

It's beautiful :3:

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Cost. Considering that, from what I've heard, it takes two base boxes to make "playable" units for the game, you're looking at a similar army cost to AoS/WFB.

Also, I didn't mention AoS, so there was no need to bring it up.

Full-sized games are 200 points, and the forces in the core set are each ~100 points. Splitting two $100 USD retail core set with a buddy nets you a full, poorly optimized force. An additional $50 USD will get you some options, so you have some better list-building variety.

Of course if you're playing the game you'll want to continue purchasing things as they're released because they open up new list building possibilities and deepen the pool of competitive options. So although you can very reasonably have a full 200 point army for $125 USD, you're much more likely to spend hundreds more on different options.

Also upgrade cards are a thing, though FFG have allegedly pledged to make every neutral upgrade available for purchase with every faction, so you won't have to buy a box from another faction to get access to an upgrade (unlike x-wing and armada) but lol if you don't proxy anyway.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

:swoon:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Pro Death Thread posts right here

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes

MCPeePants posted:

Full-sized games are 200 points, and the forces in the core set are each ~100 points. Splitting two $100 USD retail core set with a buddy nets you a full, poorly optimized force. An additional $50 USD will get you some options, so you have some better list-building variety.

Of course if you're playing the game you'll want to continue purchasing things as they're released because they open up new list building possibilities and deepen the pool of competitive options. So although you can very reasonably have a full 200 point army for $125 USD, you're much more likely to spend hundreds more on different options.

Also upgrade cards are a thing, though FFG have allegedly pledged to make every neutral upgrade available for purchase with every faction, so you won't have to buy a box from another faction to get access to an upgrade (unlike x-wing and armada) but lol if you don't proxy anyway.

I'd have to add up all of the upgrade cards, but I'm not sure you can actually get 200 points on the field with two starters since a third of the points come from a unique character.

Game is really fun though. It plays so fast!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

loving myki

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

I wanna give him some fruit

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

MCPeePants posted:

I was under the impression that 200 points was pretty much the minimum - if 200 points is a full army, then yeah, it's not quite at GW levels. That's a bit more palatable then, though I still dislike all the associated clutter with the game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Moola posted:

I wanna give him some fruit

They like all kinds of fruit, but usually apples, grapes, and bananas the most

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Any of you nerds got a big hard on for Noise Marines?

A guy is selling them locally, but I will ship them wherever if you cover my costs to buy and the shipping.

PMs preferred.

He may have more. I asked him about some allegedly primed noise marines.

3 Chaos noise marine (3 sonic blaster) (metal) 20$CAD
1 Chaos noise marine (Doom Siren) (metal) 10$CAD
1 Chaos noise marine (Champion)` (metal) 10$CAD

(The headless one is being tossed in for free.)

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

They like all kinds of fruit, but usually apples, grapes, and bananas the most

I have some bananas, grapes and apples he can have but the bananas are going off

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

I was under the impression that 200 points was pretty much the minimum - if 200 points is a full army, then yeah, it's not quite at GW levels. That's a bit more palatable then, though I still dislike all the associated clutter with the game.

Yeah 200 is the "official size". Definitely fills the board, too, more than that and you'd get real jammed up on yourself. Also "not quite" at GW levels? How much does a 1500 point 40k army cost these days? Though I won't argue there's a gap in model quality - I like the Runewars minis, but it's soft plastic and the production quality is disappointing - no shortage of mold lines.

When you say clutter, do you mean the dials and templates and tokens? The extra physical components on the board is a bit of a pain, but the planning -> execution by initiative is one of the game's real strengths. Template movement is a little weird and definitely not great for verisimilitude, but it removes ambiguity in movement, something rank+flank games otherwise suffer from.

Anyone that has good feelings about fantasy armies maneuvering and fighting would be well advised to give it a try. It has FFG baggage, but also the associated good support and generally good game design.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I love the rune wars skeletons much more than GW ones. The humans are garbage. The caterpillar skeleton and golem are standout minis and you'll be able to get them in pairs for $30.

I can see why they went with puzzle bases but it removes the elegance of the flight path maneuver system.

MCPeePants
Feb 25, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I love the rune wars skeletons much more than GW ones. The humans are garbage. The caterpillar skeleton and golem are standout minis and you'll be able to get them in pairs for $30.

I can see why they went with puzzle bases but it removes the elegance of the flight path maneuver system.

Garbage is a strong word, but they are pretty unexceptional. The knights in particular feel like a missed opportunity.

How do you mean removes the elegance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MCPeePants posted:

Garbage is a strong word, but they are pretty unexceptional. The knights in particular feel like a missed opportunity.

How do you mean removes the elegance?

So it's the same system they use in x-wing. There's a lot of maneuver fiddling you can do that won't be possible with puzzle bases, or it becomes messier (railroad tracks for bumping for example). OTOH, it does create new opportunities for positioning, like lining up with the extruding part aligned or unaligned with friends and foes. Whether that is worth the additional measurement burdens we'll have to see but I don't like that there are essentially "two" ranges for charging: aligned and unaligned puzzle portions.

• Locked thread