Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

counterspin posted:

That tank might be cool but the decision to put it on a base is baffling and ugly.

Huh. Now I can't not see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Also for the same price

Just imagine a world where Mantic players could be found in the average random FLGS. Too bad they damaged their relationship with retailers so severely with Kickstarter. Oh well, maybe next Kharmic cycle.

Maybe one day I will get to try KoW. :unsmith:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

A bunch of filthy poors ITT

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Southern Heel posted:

^ so are you implying that if there is a single dice roll on turn 1 of a game that would so comprehensively ruin a demo, that it's a good rule? Or that it's a Good Rule if combat is already so janky that you have troops that can't fight because of the nested rule inside a nested rule for piling on?

I assume you also virulently hate Warmachine and Hordes?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Serotonin posted:

As an owner of a Mantic Kings of War mega army deal (that I got at a 50% discount) I agree they are a massive lot of minis for your money.

Counterpoint- they arent very good minis.

This guy gets it

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Moola posted:

warmachine doesnt sound fun

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Yeah, but I obviously disagree - I feel they are competing in the same market segment. I mean, this is the death thread. A lot of people here have probably stopped playing 40k at some point. What they did they do instead? In my case it was take up other hobby activities (RPGs/computer games/board games) and play other wargames (both hex and chit and model based). In a very real sense 40k (which is GW rules + GW models) is competing against Chain of Command (which is Two Fat Lardies Rues + whoevers models) as well as Warmahordes. The big difference is more people play 40k and that is a big advantage.

So this is where the 'GW is charging a premium price for a premium product' hits a wall for me. The value isn't the IP - it's the network effect. It's a lot easier to get a game of 40k than a game of Chain of Command. That's real and that has value, but you cannot really sell me that it has that much value because the game.. just isn't that exciting as a piece of tactical gameplay.

Edit: Yeah, this is how I was looking at it - is the network effect worth literally paying a 350% price premium?

Lol if you think people who want to play 40k has that much overlap with people who want to play historicals. You need to remember that every historical game is just an insect compared to the might of Games Workshop.

I like historicals personally, and I love Perry Brothers minis and Too Fat Lardies to death, but try asking the average 20 something if they want to get a game of Sharp Practice in.

This is also setting aside the section of people who think playing a fun game about real people who have been killed in horrible war is deeply disturbing. No matter how cool the tanks are, if you play Germany in WW2 games there is just a little part of you that is OK having fun as the "systematic atrocity" guys.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Strongly considering taking the money I was going to spend on the 8th starter box and spend it on Age of Sigmar instead. Just do what you like :shrug:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

:eyepop:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

tallkidwithglasses posted:

40k is fun to play and it's easy to find games.

This is the most important thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

:stare:

• Locked thread