Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Panzeh posted:

Rome 2 and Warhammer have every faction having huge, huge swaths of useless units. Pretty much every faction has about 2-3 good units and nothing else. As I said, no thought into it.

For Warhammer this reflects the source material though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

This is why I'm building a 1000 point Zone mortalis force. So many rules you don't need to look up.

Or kill team.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Warlord are doing a 50% off sprue sale, which makes now a great time to get into Bolt Action, Saga/Hail Caesar or Gates of Antares.

https://store.warlordgames.com/search?type=product&q=sprue

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

They will also be launching a samurai game, a doctor who game, and the £35 Antares Introductory set (the antares set is up for pre order now and ships in a week or two).

Warlord have a lot of releases coming up this year, with rumoured plastic british paras as well as Konflikt 47 expansions, two more Antares races getting their basic infantry in plastic, another Antares supplement, Daleks and Cybermen in plastic, etc etc.

Rick Priestley is working on a fantasy game as well that will use the bolt action order dice, but that will likely see publication in 2018,

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Not a viking posted:

I painted a better power armored soldier than GW's for a game better than 40k

What game is this from?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Rufus posted:

I have sinned against the thread: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2017/03/warhammer-40k-kill-team.html :fail:

That's right I have been so desperate to do some hobby gaming I have now played 40K (Kill Team) TWO WEEKS IN A ROW AND AM GOING BACK FOR A THIRD NEXT WEEK.
(Where I am also giving the store money for a GW product. At 25% off but I am buying the Cheeseworld Eldar Codex. I have shared Moola's reaction video to that book with them. They were vaguely amused.)

Its almost like Kill Team is close to something good from the Workshop. Close. Other minis games are probably superior but any port in a storm dontchaknow. Also I still have my armies and it might lead to getting some to try out 2nd ed or maybe Warpath Firefight or something in the future. Yeah probably not. But I choose to live like a windrammer as I gently caress and will at least dare to dream, just a little bit. I mean we lost Private Hudson. THE WORLD OWES ME GODDAMNIT.

Kill Team is like 40k without many of the problems of 40k (huge game length, incredibly cheesy units, death stars, internet metas, etc etc). People play it and enjoy it, and some units that don't get much love in normal 40k get plenty of love in Kill Team.

I've finished painting my Carcharadons for Kill Team, and I'm 3 models off the 1000 points I need for Goon Con.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

food court bailiff posted:

Hey guys I've fallen outta wargaming for a while but am trying to catch up on this here death thread since the last few have been great - I see some people talking bad about Warmachine/Hordes/PP, was there some drama there I'm unaware of? I still have a Hordes starter set like half painted. :(

New edition dropped.

Controversy about a change in the meta again and complaints about the quality of the plastics in the new starters.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Crackbone posted:

Upscaling Marines also means nearly all of the third party stuff is now useless for their new product line.

All the third party producers will have new stuff available in weeks.

Also the shoulder pads and heads appear a similar size and that is the majority of 3rd party bits.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Sir Teabag posted:

If true this just furthers how little GW understand their own market and copy right laws. lol

Keeping them compatible means the current plastic space marine upgrade sprues and all forgeworld shoulder pad sets stay useable.

This isn't going to be about screwing people selling 3rd party not bolters with drum mags.

It will be about bigger, easier to assemble marines to appeal to kids combined with a new streamlined rules set.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Do the gold paints cost more or something?

They actually do from GW.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

:wtc: I saw videos of custodes and they're supposed to be oiled Jojo übermensch. Wtf happened? I know GW likes to frequently remake the art style but the custodes was the one thing I really enjoyed besides the tau.

Roboute Guilleman came back and made them put clothes on and go out and fight xenos, according to the new lore.

The armour is straight out of the heresy art books, they just decided not to wear pants for 10,000 years after the heresy.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Are there any stories about the Imperial bureaucracy? It must be an absolute nightmare trying to do your tax return for example.

Filling your tax return in wrong gets you sent to a penal legion. If you did it deliberately it's a death sentence, for stealing from the God-Emperor.

I miss the Rogue Trader fluff.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Terrain is plastic.

I imagine the Orks are the weaker side in the starter, like the Tau were the weaker side in Kill Team.

And yeah, odds are I'll immediately pull out painted Tactical marines or Mechanicus or Chaos or Genestealer Cults.

But for kids if the price point is low enough it is a great point of entry.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Brofessor Slayton posted:

Was that the starter set that had a model on one side that the other side was literally incapable of harming in any way?

Third ed starter box with space marines and landspeeder vs dark eldar warriors with strength 3 splinter rifles.

Thirsty Dog posted:

What insane company wouldn't include two evenly matched sides

Try finding a 40k starter with even sides. There simply hasn't been one. Space Marines always have 20-30% more in points than whoever they are fighting, after all they are the hero faction. If the starters were equal and Chaos/Orks/Nids etc beat the snot out of marines 50% of the time then there'd be a lot fewer marine players.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Where is this from?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

AgentF posted:

What's this New GW business? It's been a while since I paid attention but is it still fair to say that GW is a dodgy company with overpriced models and garbage business practices?

They refer to the later years of Kirby's reign as 'The Dark Times' at HQ.

Lots of behind the scene changes and new strategies to engage with customers and sell them things they might want.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Atlas Hugged posted:

He even still writes the insane introductions to their financial reports.

However they very deliberately schedule the big meetings for when he is on holiday.

Share price has doubled since he stepped down, staff morale has soared and sales are up. In three weeks they put out a make or break new edition and the buzz is positive because they are engaging in marketing.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Serotonin posted:

Yeah I never got why they did that. The whole AOS release was some monumentally badly handled poo poo.

It was the high point of Kirby's 'rules don't matter' policy.

It also coincided with the studio having lost people like Alessio, Rick and a bunch of others. There was no plan to carry on Fantasy Battle, and they literally couldn't think of where to take the game after the shitfest that was 8th edition, which had killed the popularity of the system through giant units and poor support.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

muggins posted:

I like the idea of power levels, and I think honestly gw made real points so difficult so ppl would just use power levels. But there are weird things, like genestealers in gsc being 4 PL or 90 points and space ICP troupes 7 PL or 75 points

Probably that you can tool up Harlequins a lot more than genestealers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Southern Heel posted:

Serious post - is AoS Skirmish worth a shot for a Song-of-Blades-and-Heroes level gently caress-around (bear in mind I have no interest in AoS-full)

It's worth a punt. It's the only format I'd play AoS in.

• Locked thread