Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Yvonmukluk posted:

Mind you they did make some errors, I think - like almost every alien race being defined by the one example of their species that showed up in the movies - i.e. all Rodians are bounty hunters, all Hutts are gangsters...

Would have been interesting if say, Hutts were largely peaceful diplomats and Jabba was in fact an outlier (hence he's known as Jabba 'the Hutt'). If they're all crimelords, then how is 'the Hutt' a useful identifier?

Maybe there's another famous criminal named Jabba who isn't a Hutt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

fnordcircle posted:

What's peak DS9? Like which season?

Peak DS9 is any of the Benny Russell episodes.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Notahippie posted:

The dude that makes Kingdom Death defended their pinup models with "well, I have to keep my sculptors happy, and that means letting them sculpt what they want and they want to sculpt titties." Between that and Corvus Belli apparently having the same issues, I'm starting to get skeeved out by mini sculptors in general.

Perry's now, Perry's then, Perry's forever.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

adhuin posted:

I hope you like historicals, because that's all there is on the menu.

Yes and?

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Doesn't something like one out of every 8 people alive speak Mandarin? That seems pretty wide spread IMHO

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Atlas Hugged posted:

I think 3e/4e was the real sweet spot for player created chapters and Craftworlds. IG was a little tougher, but doable. At that time, Codex Space Marines was a standalone book and the individual chapters were supplements to it, more or less useless without the full Space Marine text to go with it. This meant that the real difference between a Blood Angels force and a Dark Angels force was the force organization chart (and by this I mean which units counted as troops vs fast attack, etc), a couple of special rules, and a few unique units. Otherwise, it was still mostly squads of tactical marines and devastator squads unless you did something crazy like go full Deathwing, but who could afford that? The supplementary codexes also talked about successor chapters and even provided color schemes for them and of course that opened the door and encouraged you to think of your own. So maybe you liked the rules of the Blood Angels but you didn't want a bright red army, you could paint it however you wanted and just call it a successor chapter.

Fielding a generic space marine army was also fine since most of the models were just "space marine assault squad" or "space marine rhino" and this was basically how you fielded a more generic chapter like Ultramarines.

Eldar was largely the same. You had the aspect warrior sets, the guardian box, and the main codex, plus the Craftworld supplement if you wanted a unique set of special rules and a variant on the normal force organization chart.

Chaos, ironically, always felt more rigid since they were the remnants of the legions that fell to Horus. I'm sure there were successor chapters that fell to Chaos, but they aren't discussed nearly so much as the classic 9.

Unfortunately for IG at the time, the plastic models were Catachans and because they were a drat good deal, most people ended up having Catachans as the main bulk of their IG army. There was nothing stopping you from using them as generic IG, but they were fairly silly models all things considered. I think it was the 4e IG book that let you mix and max doctrines for your force so you could really personalize your army and this was right around when the plastic Cadians came out which fit the role of generic IG much better. But knowing GW, there was probably only a single playable combination and everything else was likely a trap choice.

3rd and 4th were extremely bad for chapter bloat. You had the trait system which let everyone roll their own chapters, the official spinoff books for SW, DA, BA and BT and then, IIRC, about 12 additional chapters (all the ones not covered in the base SM book, plus things like the Cursed Legions) added by Index Astartes that you could only use if you tracked down a specific issue of WD or bought the compiled editions that they printed a grand total of once and then never again. Plastic Cadians came out at the end of 3rd ed with the Eye of Terror campaign. Also for all of 3rd and 4th Catachans had their own codex that supplemented the Codex IG. Chaos also had a ton of bloat as the base Chaos book had chapter rules for every founding legion, along with a completely different trait system (actually two trait systems because they had one for the OG 3rd ed book that was busted as hell and then a shittier replacement one in the second 3rd ed book that was still busted as hell). Also then you add in the two campaign books which added more marines and IG (13th Company, Deathworld Vets, Whiteshields). And to add the cherry on the crap sundae, GW's extremely terrible rules committee and FAQ people got really dodgy and so basically everything I listed here from 3rd that wasn't explicitly supplanted in 4th stayed even when it got confusing as hell (the Index Astartes chapters are still legal with the 4th Ed codex for instance).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also generic marines were trash tier until 4th added the chapter traits system and even then they weren't as good as Blood Angels or Space Wolves. Blood Angels were probably the straight up best army in 4th, although pre-Tau Empire Tau are also in the running for that nomination (they are point for point the best army once you break down the costs of individual stats, a thing someone did once), they had the Baal which was the best tank because of how much better Rending got between 3rd and 4th, and they also had the death company and BA scouts both of which were severely under costed and taking tons of one actually made the other cheaper! Also all the IA chapters basically got awesome free poo poo that made all the chapter traits look like peanuts by comparison (army wide furious assault, army wide free ward saves, just straight up +1 toughness). Yeah you could play vanilla marines in 3rd or 4th but they were just straight up worse versions of chapter specific marines, ESPECIALLY in 3rd. Except for the Dark Angels, they had one notable thing about them that wasn't Deathwing and 4th Ed just gave it to everyone (Plasma Cannons in tac squads), deathwing was still an absolute scourge of a list though. The same was true for IG, Armored Company was just better than IG straight up, and then after they added the IG army traits they somehow managed to not remove AC because of how their lovely rules were worded and it was STILL better than anything the trait system could produce (spoilers, there were three good IG traits and then a bajillion trap options). Chaos also had the Iron Warriors issue during those years, IE the most unbalanced list that GW ever let hit print (this includes borked fantasy poo poo like Slayers). So I'd say the last time a straight up vanilla marine list was on tier with a chapter list before the modern era was the eight months or so during the start of 3rd before the BA and SW codex's made it out the door.

5th was dominated by the vanilla marine list, but it wasn't actual marines, it was Chaos marines, back when they had their book where the standard chaos marine was the most effectively pointed unit in the entire game and people were fielding lists of just massive twenty man marine squads with no special or heavy weapons just tromping everywhere and shitstorming all over objectives.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Atlas Hugged posted:

But didn't the scope of the game start to change by 5e so that the number of figures you needed to play was way more?

5th was the start of GWs grand experiment of "maybe we should make the game objective based" and so it's not so much the scope of the game changed but more that infantry became useful because you needed troops to take and hold areas of the battlefield. Hence why the Chaos Marine list I mentioned was so good, you could just swarm over objectives and it would take an immense amount of pressure to get you off of them. TLOS was a huge mistake, and I'm still not a fan of how 5th suffered from Alessio's obsession with removing wargear and heavily streamlining armies.

To put things in perspective with how lovely GW is today, 5th was when they were pushing really hard so that every army had a 25USD core troop box, which was really nice when they started pushing for more infantry focus.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

BULBASAUR posted:

this just in star wars is renaming the Imperial faction to be the Empeerials faction as this will help with sales and brand recognition worldwide

Too be fair, with the First Order in TFA they basically did this. But that's really more like when GW had the 13th Company as a spinoff of Space Wolves or the Vostroyans as a spinoff of the IG.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Cinnamon Bear posted:

The Vostroyans were pretty cool. I wish I had picked them up at the time. I don't suppose there are any similar space cossack models out there?

Weirdly enough GW still makes them and now that they've been inflating the gently caress out of all their plastic boxes a squad of them is only like 6 bucks more than a squad of Cadians.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Also lol if after seeing the Switch reveal if you think the 3DS is going away.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ugleb posted:

If I were GW I would be looking at how Andy chambers returned to Wargames and how his involvement in Dropfleet helped get nerds frothing at the mouth to throw money at the kickstarter.

I would then try to recruit Andy Chambers to consult on a GW product and get the extra big money bucket out ready for the GW fans to empty their wallets into in a fever of nostalgic anticipation.

Or how basically every GW rules writer and game designer has gone on to new companies and made succesful games based entirely on the pitch of "it's like a GW game but with balanced rules, FAQs that make sense, adequate playtesting, stripped of all the bullshit and made with considerations for game design concepts beyond 1999!".

Like if you examine all the current competitors to GW and their pedigree this is what you get:

Warmachine/Hordes: built on/influenced by the only two games to ever go toe to toe with GW prior to WM (WarZone and Mage Knight).
Flames of War: Written as proposed back to the drawing board rewrite of the 40k rules.
Bolt Action: Built by an ex-GW designer who wanted to take the positive aspects of classic GW games and add in modern design concepts and readability.
DZC: Originally developed by people who got tired of how lovely 40k was, worked on by ex-GW staff who wanted to, you guessed it, incorporate modern design concepts into a 40k like game.
Frostgrave: Developed by non-GW people who wanted to modernize an old GW game.
Kings of War: Developed by an ex-GW staffer and former GW tournament players to be like a GW game that included stripped down rules with modern design concepts.
Infinity: Doesn't take any design ques from GW games, but instead was built around the goal of doing everything that 40k did wrong correctly (LoS, unit tactics, weapon ranges, etc).

It's almost like GW serves as the bed from which people get good but flawed ideas and then polish them into better games that get published by people other than GW! If only there was a way for GW to not get cut off during the second stage of this process....

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

lilljonas posted:

Fireforge has some "GW proportioned" medieval plastics, and the upcoming early medieval Scandinavian box could also be suitable.

http://www.fireforge-games.com/webstore?productsublayout=0

THe Perry Miniatures WotR boxes can be used as well, but less suitable for wholesale parts swop with GW as they are more realistically proportioned.

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=2490

I think for Mordheim the Warlord Pike and Shotte plastics are probably a better bet than the Perry stuff.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Avenging Dentist posted:

Exodite players have it good; at least they don't have to play a terrible game!!

Well the last edition that had Exodite rules was 2nd so if they're still playing they're playing a pretty poo poo game.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

its too bad mantic are incapable of making an aesthetically pleasing model

I own some of their sharkman dudes for Bloodbowl. They're OK but the casting is abysmal.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I don't get the hate for metal minis, metal is way easier to work with, more durable and holds better detail than plastic. Plus most plastic minis just don't look as nice. Even Wyrd who are making by far the most dynamic and well sculpted plastic minis still aren't making stuff that looks as good as metals from Anima. It's because plastic just doesn't hold shallow detail well. In metal and resin you can do things like have really fine edges to armored plates or really finely detailed chainmail while in plastic all of that is going to be super soft edges and get lost under primer and base coats unless you do a fair amount of light putty work to beef them up. I mean, Mantic makes ugly rear end minis, but one of their major issues is just how god drat soft the detail is on everything but they are cheap as dirt so who cares? But when you start seeing the exact same issue pop up in premium priced kits from Wyrd and GW doing poo poo like having muddy definition on fingers you have to start thinking it's a weakness of the medium and that these guys need to either start using the harder more brittle plastics that actual high detail plastic model kits use or they need to start thinking about moving more towards resin/restic like PP.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Cinnamon Bear posted:

Whats the story there?

I was always a bigger Marvel fan, but I enjoyed the Arkham games and sometimes had an eye on their Batman minis.

Knight has a bad habit of signing short term licensing deals, pumping out and selling as many minis as they possibly can and then getting scooped by a larger company with more resources.

The answer to the question is obvious, it's probably Fantasy Flight. They've had a good working relationship with Disney over the SW stuff for miniatures games, doing a Marvel game would be the next natural step.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Icon Of Sin posted:

So I was thinking about picking up the Doom board game, after seeing it yesterday at my local store. It's by FFG so there's a certain floor of quality (I'm assuming), but has anyone here played it? It is a cool/fun game?

It's like a stripped down more difficult/run and gun focused version of Descent. Descent was based on the original Doom game and I believe this current one is a redesign of the old game.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Leperflesh posted:

For some people, AOS is the only fantasy minis game in town, literally. For others, they have friends they want to play with. I can relate to the folks who just cave in and play what people want them to play.

Yeah I mean this is literally the only reason I play Warmachine. There's sporadic support for 40k but it's been on life support since 5th ed and most of the people buying it play only with their friends in peoples houses so it's pretty dead in the water. There's, I think, two or three guys who play AoS and they are the people who used to hate playing Fantasy here when we had a big Fantasy scene because they hated tactics and list building. We're kind of in the area that's hardcore PP territory however. You can get a pick up game of WM/H at basically any local shop every night of the week.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I just don't think at the end of the day fiddling with random poo poo in the core is going to save anything since the core 40k rules have been pretty serviceable if not clunky and poorly put together since 5th. The issue is in the vast amounts of extra rules and free poo poo granted to you by formations and erroneous non-codex rules. All these extra things are just going to bog the game down and make it even more of a slog unless they seriously look at cutting down the amount of figures on the table. Like, Bolt Action has a lot of these things, but it's also using about half the amount of figures and is a better written rule set with much quicker pace than 40k. It also doesn't help that the actual tactical choices in a game of 40k are extremely hampered by just how little space is left on a 6x4 table. The table size for the game was standardized in 2nd ed back when your average game was the size of the modern start collecting boxes.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Liquid Communism posted:

Dude, you're about the average age for this dead gay forum. Most of the posters were in their early 20's back when it was big in the early 00's.

Even The Snoo, who was SA's token idiot emo teenager, is like 23 now or something.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ugleb posted:

I skipped 18 pages because the previous 20 were low on content and high on defensive rhetoric. Sadly I can't find time to read this all so I'll get to my point.

40k diehards want to know why death thread participants won't admit GW is awesome now, right?

I was a big GW fan through the 90's and dropped out of the wargaming hobby around 2000 when I went to uni, which happens to be about the time most people consider GW to have gone into decline. I played and tried to collect for pretty much every game GW was putting out up to then.

I came back to wargaming 2 years or so ago a bit before AoS landed. I took a look at what GW was doing and it was depressing, most the things I liked about GW seemed long gone or in sorry state. Since then I have noted improvement, or at least the attempt to improve.

AoS launched poorly but GW seem to be attempting course correction and revision of the game to address short comings.

GW have begun reaching out to their communities again. Like a modern company.

GW appear more willing to admit that they have competition and that maybe their games should be better to play. AoS was I think an ambitious experiment and 40k 8th edition is being touted as a significant attempt to fix the game rather than just flog some books.

GW are reviving fan favourite licences that should never have been dropped. Blood Bowl. Necromunda (kinda). Epic (maybe, kinda).

These are all signs that GW is trying to right the ship.

But I am still not going to be won back, and that is because they aren't hitting the right notes for me.

Their modern aesthetic isn't my bag. I find the poses generally awkward and most models are over wrought with excessive details. They are not clean and dynamic, I find them clunky and muddled. I gather they are produced to a high standard, but I just don't find them all that attractive. This is of course subjective and you may disagree.

While I think AoS was a bold attempt to innovate, it did come at the cost of losing the most established fantasy mass battles game in the industry and the butchering of its lore (as Tolkien derivative as it might have been). GW could have launched AoS as a wholly new property pitched at whatever scale AoS is meant to be played at and moved WFB over to specialist games status. I think we all agree this transition could have been done better.

40k is seemingly rolling the clock back to 2nd edition. This isn't moving forwards.

Necromunda appealed to me for its setting and aesthetic. It's rules I feel have been surpassed by other games in the past 20 years. The new title drops everything I liked about Necromunda but reportedly retains those old rules apparently unchanged.

I have recently been throwing out my old GW rule books as I felt they just are not games that I would choose to play over cleaner and more polished modern rule sets. And yet GW are heading right back to them. If that was what I wanted, I could have played it at any time in the last 20 years, so how is this moving forwards?

I still have a lot of nostalgia for the core settings of 40k/Fantasy especially from when I was a kid. I still play HoR Killteam because I enjoy using the minis I have to do stuff in the 40k universe. But the issue is that we're supposed to be won back to GW because they are doing baby steps towards doing things that every other big company is already doing in spades, and in most cases these are THINGS GW USED TO DO. They have a decade long history of exiling any rules designers that actually want to change their games in ways that accept modern design standards, and all those people who they kicked out have gone on to make better games so even though they show enthusiasm for maybe fixing some of their rules issues I don't trust their ability to hang on to anyone with enough skill and design sense to actually accomplish this, It doesn't help that their game is so god drat expensive. It cost too much a decade ago when troop boxes were ~30 dollars. The fact that tac squads are 40 dollars is loving insane. Every time I consider about maybe getting back into 40k I just look at exactly how I could buy most of an army for Infinity, Malifaux, Bolt Action or Guildball for the cost of just the rulebooks I'd need to play 40k and my desire is entirely gone.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

darnon posted:

Maybe I'm misremembering somewhat but in the books Geralt really isn't shacking up with every other lady he meets. If anything Dandelion is much more the ladies man and Geralt sort of above it all with more romanticized notions about love. The ideal of all of these women wanting to get in bed with the mutant (aside from ones with ulterior motives) seems mostly fan-wankery to enhance his macho badass factor.

Honestly it's because the games don't really follow the books that much and it's pretty clear they took a lot of pointers from other sources. Book Geralt is a really loving weird character, he's kind of a soapbox for the authors kind of vague sociopolitical beliefs. Like a combination of Elric and 80s bubsnikt era Wolverine, he's the ultimate aloof cooldude that a 14 year old would dream up. Game Geralt is honestly a much better character with a lot better motivations. It's clear whoever was writing him was taking a lot of inspiration from stuff like Name of the Wind and Leiber/Eddings/etc type of fantasy. Game Geralt is basically a critique of Book Geralt, revealing things like how his cold aloofness is really him trying to cover up insecurity and other similar ways to explore that character.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

dmnz posted:

Game of Thrones in space is a terrible comparison.

It has very dissimilar characters, plots and themes.

I *guess* you could argue that GoT is a good show you should watch, and so is The Expanse..
But I really dislike the 'its like GoT but" comparisons that are thrown around everywhere.

Game of Thrones in space exists, it's called Legend of the Galactic Heroes and it's rad.

Pyrolocutus posted:

Eh, there's already enough stories in which humans are extraordinarily average relative to every alien species out there, and inevitably end up using alien technology to leapfrog. It's interesting to have ones where we're the unusual ones.

IIRC there's a series written by some hack, I want to say Turtledove, where humanity is kept in deliberate isolation from other spacefaring races because were too adaptable. All the other ones are all things like evolved deer and such and are really made for a small slice of Biomes. Eventually I think in the setting Humans become the default mercenaries who asskick all around the galaxy working for other races.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 13, 2017

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Iceclaw posted:

For some reason, I kind of felt drawn to old school undead armies, of late. It's just that I have a huge backlog of miniatures, not enough gaming time to justify the money I throw into that pit, and the only thing I could play them would be AoS. :smith:

This is really why I started doing some to a lot of Oldhammer stuff. I find as I get older I have a greater appreciation for sculpts with more character and style to them as opposed to all the new stuff coming from most companies (but GW and Wyrd especially) that just have this really sterile vibe to them because of all the really precise 3D modelling used in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I think the only thing that could really and truly deal a serious blow to GW is an honest to god Star Wars minis game sold at Perry/WGF/DreamForge prices. Especially if they were DUST style pre-assembled kits or kits with very limited/easy assembly. If you did it in an intermediate scale where the game was built on a Bolt Action style scale of 25-65 models and priced them not insanely you could easily carve into GW. The problem is that miniatures wargames are such a small niche market that no company with the resources or licenses that could shake things up wants to because it's just not worth it. It's a tiny market, the returns are poor, and retailers don't like them because they eat up a ton of shelf space and don't move fast enough. I think your average boardgame player who might consider miniatures games as a hobby is going to be a crazy hard sell when just buying the rulebook and your codex for 40k could buy you a huge chunk of product for something like Summoner Wars, Tash-Kalar, or a number of other games about tactical army battling.

• Locked thread