Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

When they're right they're right. I disagree with them on the overall quality and enjoyability of the films, but you can't pretend they aren't thin.

And yet the latest Rogue One videos have a ton of RLM fans disagreeing with them. Their HiaB review was especially dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Calling a critique dumb isn't a particularly useful statement. What specifically do you disagree with? It was a movie with an abundance of thin characters, poor pacing and editing, and a plot that failed to deliver on a simple premise (spies steal the Deathstar plans). Where I disagree with them is how detrimental those things were to the movie overall given its competent direction, excellent visuals, engaging sequences, and gritty depiction of the Rebellion. For me that makes the movie solidly passable, but hardly a masterpiece and distinctly worse than the original trilogy or The Force Awakens.

Mostly the whole "lets shout STORMTROOPERS! AT-AT! references are dumb! This was meant to be a standalone movie!" every few minutes because a Star Wars movie has them. Also not sure how the plot failed to deliver on them stealing the plans?

e: to clarify, I didn't think the movie was particularly good or bad, but a lot of their arguments seemed really petty.

ijyt fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 31, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lmao if you actually hate GW in tyool 2017.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

I never knew what it was like to meet someone with terminal Stockholm Syndrome until today. holy moley

So what do you call being the minority railing against a successful company on a dead forum

:ironicat:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

Everything about GW is still garbage. You guys have just mistaken "better than other garbage" for "not garbage" and I get why that's an easy mistake to make.

You're right, what GW has planned for 2017 is by far better than the garbage that is x-wing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

So a better quarterly organized play kit or nationals prize support?

Oh no you think you enjoy tournament play :ohdear: But yes they are catering to the slower clientele.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Indolent Bastard posted:

So you want us back in the main thread? You are asking us to bring our annoyance, complaints, and criticisms to the "good" thread.

You heard the man lads, lets go gently caress up the hug box.

But, this is the hug box.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

In other news, we've done a full 180, as GW now cribs Mantic, releasing their new not-Deadzone game with a display board based on one made for actual Deadzone by a player.

TIL Mantic the purveyor of low quality plastic "sculpts" invented Necromunda and oil rigs.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

So how about them Gundams?

Why would you buy models that can't also be used for games, it seems like a waste of money.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

GW's improvement is a little bit like how you can feel some hope for an alcoholic who is "seriously cutting back" on the booze. You still don't go out for drinks with the guy and you can't be such a fool as to believe there can't be a relapse, and really it's still obvious there isn't going to be a real change until the guy goes to rehab and gets totally clean. But hey, they've sort of half-assedly accepted there might be a problem.... so, progress!

Don't forget the domestic abuse.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Lmao being angry at a hobby you don't even do. It's like getting mad at Canon for only minimally improving their low-light performance and never having owned a camera.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Glad to see you're finally seeing sense! The 40K thread will gladly take any of you back. :)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

spectralent posted:

I think "angry" kind of overstates it but there's a definite frustration with GW because GW does try and monopolise people's game spaces even though the games are poo poo. Like people said, if Necromunda does come back there's going to be a bunch of Infinity/Deadzone players who lose out because, even if it's poo poo, it has orks in it.

Am I reading this right. You're mad at competition in a capitalist system?

You can play more than one tabletop game, they're not exclusive when you have a regular pay cheque!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I can't help you with your social life, but we're just really excited to show you the direction GW is heading and want you to be part of the new adventure into 8th edition! :)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

spectralent posted:

I dunno, I never found the "I'm saying a thing that dumb people believe for real, which is funny because I'm not actually one of the dumb people" gag really stupid because it relies on having opinions so well known that it's obviously a joke and most people aren't that popular. Like, you'd need to be Nixon saying how much he loves commies for it to not just come off as "Oh, this person actually has lovely opinions".

This thread seems to do a lot of things it supposedly hates!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

But I already own models. I don't need new models. We can play with these ones right now. If I buy new ones, I may never build or paint them. These are built and painted. I just want to play the dang game man. Why don't you want to play this game you've invested thousands of dollars in?

But I already play League of Legends. I don't need new champions. We can play this game right now. If I play Dota 2, I may never learn the meta. I already main Teemo. I just want to spam dang mushrooms.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Atlas Hugged posted:

My models are space elves. I have the rules for space elves. What is wrong about my models?

Are they actually Eldar models that are identifiable as the units and weapons show in the codex? Great!

If not, it's a bit like using star trek ships in x-wing, yes they're better designed and have deeper lore but it's a bit disrespectful to the person you're playing.

Wargaming ("the hobby") is all about mutual respect and the common decency to invest yourself in the setting at least as much as your opponent, whether that's over beer and pretzels in your friends garage ("Beerhammer") or in a local store ("PUGHammer"), or even during an intense tournament, respect is key.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

spectralent posted:

I mean, if you want to phrase "spending money on good looking models instead of bad ones" that way, sure, but that just seems like common sense.

It's why we buy Games Workshop.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

40K has been getting less and less "grimdark" ever since 3rd Edition. Go back and look at the original setting. Whole sectors of space were cut off for generations by warp storms. Space Marine chapters were effectively independent mercenary companies (who had their own Military Police, because posthuman soldiers on a drunken rager need to be kept in check). Mottos on vehicles and helmets in Astartes and Guard forces alike included "Born to Kill," "Smile as you Go Under," and so forth. Look at the early artwork- it's post-apocalyptic in a way that nothing has been since 2000.

Ever since 3rd Edition, the little details like this have died off. Astartes chapters got Flanderized into one-note factions. Chaos got whipped with the Nerf-bat repeatedly. Rule of Awesome replaced grimdark as the people writing the setting gradually forgot not to take it too seriously. Necrons got fleshed out (pardon the pun) and then retconned. The story of the Horus Heresy got turned from a monster story writ large into a Great Tragedy with the fallen primarchs turned into Misunderstood Tragic Figures.

My own viewpoint is that these changes don't actually impact the baseline level of grimdark at all. That level dropped dramatically the very instant Tau became a thing. I'd like to have my quirky, so-grim-it-gets-funny setting back, but if I can't have it, frankly I'm totally fine with what we have, where Rule of Awesome applies, because I don't see recent events through the same lens.

Yes, RG is back. Yes, maybe the Aeldari have a path ahead that might let them avoid their doom. Yes, this recent book ended on a hopeful statement of the Imperium riding a wave of blood to a new future. But we have also lost Cadia, the Maelstrom and Eye of Terror are both swollen to massive proportions, Ghazgkull is still out there assembling that GREAT WAAAGH, the Hive Fleets are still inbound to eat everyone,... I could go on, but the threats are still there and they're still species-level. The Galaxy is still a vast place where you will not be missed.

Is it really ever grimdark when the plight of the common man feels like nothing more than a sterile statistic with zero emotional impact on account of its absolute banality with zero empathetic connection? Sure stuff from the third edition reads pretty grim, but there's no real punch in the gut from it because the common human is faceless.

What I want is just some proper world building instead of leaving an empty, dull, underdeveloped universe with the thin excuse of "it's a sandbox". Gimme a novel series without any powerful individual or even a soldier, but a completely vulnerable citizen living in the middle of a Hive World and dealing with the issues that arise from the plight of the average man. Then maybe those statistics will have meaning when another faceless bajillion die. But without empathy, any change in the fluff resulting in mass death with have absolutely zero weight behind it unless it involves your/my dudes getting hit.

Although in regards to literature, focusing on key individuals high up in the organization of the major factions is a SERIOUS problem that must absolutely end and what is making the Horus Heresy so awful. 40K performs best when it is about small stories set within the universe that ultimately achieve and change nothing. Not huge novel serious with M.K. Shyamalan "revelations" which are completely unnecessary and do nothing but stir up drama in the fanbase and destroy the importance of small scale character pieces. The best thing about the old Black Library was how virtually every book was about something and someone completely different.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

TKIY posted:

Grimdark is going away. AoS moved to high fantasy and tossed it's grimdark element away when it lost the Empire and vampire counts etc.

40K is following AoS in the rules side and I'd imagine the flavor will change in a similar way.

I don't know how much of the Age of the Emperors fluff will resemble 40k at all.

Exactly, things change for better or worse, and you cannot please everyone while chasing the next cash infusion.

All I ask is don't piss on me and tell me it's raining.

The setting had a tone, for a VERY long time, and to many of us that was it's hook and why it was successful.

It's within GWs rights to change it, just don't tell that it's still 40k. It isn't.

This is going to feel like how WFB players felt in the end, the ones who armies DIDN'T get outright deleted.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Avenging Dentist posted:

That's basically what I tried to do with 40k roleplaying (via a modified Inquisitor system) before I realized that I was rewriting everything wholesale and that my time would be better spent elsewhere. Ultimately though, while I don't have any love for 40k anymore, it's not really so much that 40k has gotten worse (although it has) as that I'm not 12 years old anymore. Even looking back at the stuff from when I liked 40k, I just have to shake my head and laugh at how bad my taste was back then.

The problem is no one person (or group of people) has any right to dictate to anyone else what 40k is or isn't. Games Workshop doesn't even have that right, and they MAKE the game. Telling someone the game they are playing isn't 40k is like telling a gaming group they're playing D&D wrong because it isn't 2nd Edition.

If you don't like the direction the game is going, that's your prerogative. But it doesn't give you the authority to tell people that the game they may be enjoying isn't 40k.

It still is. Whether you want to continue playing it is up to you.

If you have friends that feel the same way, there is nothing stopping you from playing whatever version of the game suits you.

If you want to ragequit because the setting no longer matches your sensibilities, again, your prerogative.

Just remember....whatever happens, the galaxy will not miss you.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Well they certainly aren't doing it right when the Custodes aren't doing side-relaxed and front lat spread poses like Jojo characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3k8g5oX97E

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Crackbone posted:

Models: still mediocre
Costs: still outrageous
Rules: still utter poo poo

WHY ARE YOU STILL ANGRY ABOUT GW FAAAAAAAAAAART

Sorry to see you go, dude.

Seriously. I hate seeing people get so disillusioned with something they love that they decide to just drop it.

I wasn't having a go at you. Didn't want to imply any personal enmity. (That and I don't remember exactly how it went ;))

Hopefully you follow the development of the story and find something you want to come back for.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Avenging Dentist posted:

I don't think anyone is making that sort of definitional argument. The only arguments I've seen against 40k are that it's a poorly-designed system (by a variety of subjective and objective measures) and that the fiction is unappealing to a lot of people. Like, nobody says that St. Anger isn't a Metallica album; they just say it's bad.

At most, if someone says, "This isn't 40k", what they're saying is, "This isn't what drew me to 40k," and I think it's a bit disingenuous to intentionally misinterpret a metaphorical statement like that.

At least wait to see what's up before going away on rumours.

I have been holding a candle out for Templars ever since they were rolled. Now it seems they won't even have anything else.
Tough, makes me sad, but I'll see where this hobby is going.
Hastings tolds us a rumour of how he perceived things.

9 months ago.

One thing is certain. If the new SM comes to pass and it's all Guilliman "gene-seed" I'm done with the hobby 40k wise.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Oh please. Most stories are small scale conflicts that have nothing to do with the state of the setting at large.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Avenging Dentist posted:

On the other side of this though lies the sunk cost fallacy (and the related phenomena of aspirational gaming and "bad gaming's better than no gaming"). Even if 40k remained perfectly static, many people would eventually drop it because they've grown and changed as people. While 40k requires a pretty substantial investment of time and money, if you're not getting much out of it anymore, you shouldn't feel bad for giving up on it and doing something that you enjoy more.

Honestly, now that I've thought about it, and written then deleted a ton of posts. Its not the game, or the setting I've come to be unable to tolerate.

Its people seeking to change it. Its forums. Its the modern online posters, and its the generational gap.

I mean no offense, and that is why I'll be adding a lot of people to my ignore list (this is the ONLY forum I need to use it on, funny for such a 'well moderated' forum...) but thats what its come to.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Crackbone posted:

Models: still mediocre
Costs: still outrageous
Rules: still utter poo poo

WHY ARE YOU STILL ANGRY ABOUT GW FAAAAAAAAAAART

I never really know how I feel about the whole "it's just a game" line of argument.

On the one hand, it's trivially true. There are any number of things more important. Plenty of people collect WH40K who are doctors, lawyers, surgeons, EMTs, policemen, social workers - there are any number of careers where people make decisions which matter more than everything GW has ever produced every day. So yes, in the scheme of things, it is just toy soldiers. The developments in GW fluff will not annoy me a tenth of as much as certain political developments.

On the other, it is also a shared universe, a significant portion of many people's hard-won disposable income and free time, and a story that matters. It's not entitled or unreasonable to expect a certain level of respect from GW, or to be upset with the direction the setting is going.

There's also the fact that this thread is a space for WH40K discussion, so thoughts along the line of "WHY DO YOU CARE ABOUT TOY SOLDIERS WHEN GUNDAMS IS MUCH MORE CONSEQUENTIAL?!?!?!?!?" aren't that constructive.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

spectralent posted:

Also the "It's a generational thing, protagonists can't be grounded now" thing is dumb. Fourteen year olds like invincible space marine heroes, did do and always will do. People in their 40s don't have a monopoly on liking characters with flaws.

Hah! Just this morning I saw a picture of a Tartaros terminator with a reaper autocannon and started making autocannon sounds while pretending I held one, and I'm 37.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

I think a generation gap is in play here as well.

What is the average age of the people upset about the changes we've seen and are allegedly getting soon?

40-ish? Almost certainly over 30. I'm 47 myself.

Praise Russ! Maybe I'm NOT the oldest guy on this board!

And amen to you. If ever we meet IRL, I owe you an amasec.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ok lets lets get back on topic:

With everything that has been happening recently, I have been thinking a lot about our great hobby, and how much we invest versus what we should reasonably expect in return for our hard earned cash.

The rumour mill has been flying for nearly a year now about a possible 8th edition, and that has just stepped up with the most recent releases being primarchs for both loyalists and traitors. There is concern that GW aren't telling the truth where resetting/majour changes concerning both fluff and rules are concerned as we begin to see a similar pattern between 40K and AoS emerging. There is debate on the nature of the rumours which is fracturing the community into 3 groups, the "yes", "no", "and I don't care" sections for AoS style rules changes.

Many people are wondering whether it's worth continuing to purchase, including the new releases, as they have no idea whether things will be playable in the near future or not.

What I would expect from Games Workshop would be an annual calendar, which needs only to be basic, stating the rules releases for the year.

Example:

Jan-March: 3 Book campaign adding details of X warzone including 1, 2, 3, races.
Apr-Jun: FAQ/Errata for X system, Codex release for faction 9,23,57.
July-Sept: 3 Book campaign leading to release of games system B #edition

So on and so forth.

No real details other than who is involved, and whether there is an edition change. This could be released at Christmas the preceding year to generate interest, and actually give people a way to plan their spending, and look at gifts that are due.

Sure, Chaos are really feeling conflicted, between having the oldest main codex available, to some updated books including Magnus and Traitor Legions, and Marines have been feeling the love with Guilliman and Angels of Death. Guard are also feeling the pain, with an old codex, along the same lines as some of the xenos too.

We aren't asking for majour secrets, or to stop GW bringing out shiny new toys which are a surprise. All we are asking for is a little more information to allow us to better plan our hobby.

Am I wrong here? *This isn't a hate post*

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

spectralent posted:

This is a pretty basic expectation, yeah. It's not as universal as it should be (looking at you Battlefront) but I'd say a majority of companies have some attempt at a schedule and the fact GW doesn't when GW has a historical trust problem from pulling rugs out is pretty baffling.

Looking forward to the answers to these questions myself!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Avenging Dentist posted:

I mean, I don't really care about changing 40k; it is what it is, and from my perspective, I think it's in the process of collapsing under its own weight. If people like it, I don't really care (although I do think it's very seriously flawed).

The main reason I like this thread is because it opened my eyes to other games (and miniatures companies) out there that are more up my alley. :shobon:

Now if someone would just make some 28mm-scale Overwatch figures I would be all over that poo poo.

Oh yeah like I said earlier to spectralent 40k isnt exclusive there are tons of cool games to play (apart for warmachine). Guild ball is very cool!

Is Overwatch like infinity?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

Pretty sure you have to say something to be refuted if you want someone to write a counterpoint?

I'm glad people are starting to acknowledge that GW is once again a good company! Understanding that it can't be refuted is a brave step towards being welcomed back into the hobby.

Keep it up and we'll happily have you back in the good thread. :)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Business Gorillas posted:

Heh, look at these slovenly idiots unable to comprehend my unassailable logic :smug:

*death thread continues to post possums and yell at each other about bones*

I have to agree, it's a drat shame so many people here prefer to stick their head in the sand and pretend nothing is happening rather than engage in a meaningful conversation about the strides GW has taken.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Ideally we should put everyone that posts about GWS/WH/40k/AoS in a separate forum so that they don't pollute the rest of TG any more

make it happen mods

This is a sad post, you understand that those threads are pillars of this subforum? Without them you don't have much of a subforum left. :(

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I'm glad you agree!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ashcans posted:

ijyt you never answered my question about using my models, don't you want to game? :(

I did! If they're current edition legal it's fine!

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ashcans posted:

I think you answered Atlas Hugged, not my follow up. What does 'current edition legal' mean? I have a ton of Eldar miniatures made by GW, but many of them have weapons or equipment that either doesn't exist in the modern edition, or isn't legal for them to have. I also have older versions of current models which in modern rules have equipment that isn't reflect at all in their appearance. Am I suppose to rebuy all this stuff or break it all down and remodel it myself because the rules changed? It takes a long time to build a collection like mine, I invested time and effort in GW and I feel like I'm being punished for supporting them so long.

You're in luck actually, GW is releasing something that should be very useful to you. You can use the new Citadel Saw set to remove the illegal weapon choices and replace them with new ones from the recent kits.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Bad Moon posted:

Lol come on man you have to be more subtle

Conversion is an integral part of the hobby, you need to be committed, or don't expect for decades old models to still be rules legal, they change like laws in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Moola posted:

*having a friendly conversation with a fellow ham during a game*

*notices one of his flamers is actually a meltagun*

WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS poo poo BRENT?!?!

That is effectively cheating.

• Locked thread