Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

speaking of things that are bad, it sounds like whatever cancer infects RPS's boardgames coverage has metastasised https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/12/23/learning-to-love-imbalance-in-strategy-games/

Fun fact about dropzone commander and most CMoN mini games (Wrath of Kings and Dark Age): they hold tournaments to gauge balance in their armies and make minor corrections to things. They are also really good games with good backgrounds that are fun. In fact, the balance makes them MORE fun because you accidentally didn't pick the "joke" faction (see Orks/Tyranids) so you can stand a chance to win in a game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I cannot decide if this is still GW being bad, or good, or just not understanding how hu-mon jokes work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep5H_Plsm2A

It would be funny if the product had any use. But it looks pretty stupid and unnecessary. Yes, super glue is a product that I want to store in my pocket.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Notahippie posted:

The dude that makes Kingdom Death defended their pinup models with "well, I have to keep my sculptors happy, and that means letting them sculpt what they want and they want to sculpt titties." Between that and Corvus Belli apparently having the same issues, I'm starting to get skeeved out by mini sculptors in general.

It's my opinion that 95% of artists are perverts. The other 5% make perverted things at some point because they sell.

It's turtles all the way down. And the turtles are having sex.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

But didn't the scope of the game start to change by 5e so that the number of figures you needed to play was way more?

I thought 5th changed the scope towards transports. Since that was how I was playing my sisters it was a huge boon. Not having to remove the entire squad because your transport blew up was a vast improvement. Or was that 6th?

Either way, tyranids got hive guard as a response and open top vehicles only took S3 hits so orks and dark eldar could compete and everything was fairly even. Then came the recent version and all of a sudden you had super heavies and unkillable squads running around and orks and dark eldar got worse books for ~reasons~.

EDIT: 6th had that wonky wound allocation bullshit, didn't it? Nuts to that.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheChirurgeon posted:

Nah, you're right about that--it was way more popular in the US. The exception was Super Metroid, which just came out too late in the US--it came out like 5 months before the PlayStation launched. But after that, Metroid killed it in the US and ate poo poo in Japan, which is probably why they don't give a poo poo about it anymore.

Metroid: Other M was the only game that I bought that I traded in after a day.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KingFisher posted:

Who is the anointed goon army painting service provider?
I have a big pile of old chaos dwarfs I am never going to finish.

I want to get them into display condition and sell off the rest of my junk.
So I think this is the year I get that done.

thanks.

For chaos dwarves I've heard you can't beat Blue Table Paintings 50% off deal.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's from one of the mini-series.

Oh no, trap sprung.

You already have what I assume is a Jojo avatar, so that trap has long since past.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

lilljonas posted:

Haha I never expected things to be so literally AoS 2.0

AoS: Chaos blew up the planet, with the heroes walking off defeated lead to the new world by elf gods.

Fall of Cadia: Chaos blew up the planet, with the heroes walking off defeated lead to the new world by eldar.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
GW bad, but if you are around the Chicago area you should sign up the Aetherium events! They are releasing their new faction: Amelia Earhart, Big Daddies, and Squids but in the matrix.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just want Rowboat Girlyman? Too bad! Have him in a special package with 2 other shits! Double the price!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

GW fan: *drinking sewage* how can we convince GW to give us ice cream instead of sewage
everyone else: you could stop drinking sewage
GW fan: *drinks more sewage*

Sisters players, are you ready for the new sisters!
"Yeah"
Well too bad because we just rereleased the old pdf rules but took out Saint Celestine.
"Boo"
But hey! Buy our new campaign book and you get new rules for Saint Celestine!
"Yeah?"
We will even have a new model for it.
"Plastic sisters great"
But it will only be Saint Celestine and it will be bundled in with some other poo poo characters you probably don't want.
"..."

OR

"I love the rich fluff of the universe and no other game system has the deep rich background of 40k" - someone who ignores 95% of his codex to field the most unbalanced formations.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I'm more interested in knowing if this is actually an official model for 30k. I love Lucius.

Girlyman still looks like poo poo.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Maybe it was just sculpted by the same dude and that's all he knows how to do.

When life hands you lemons, reuse autocad assets when making your primarch.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

mcjomar posted:

We're letting Joffrey look after a bunny?

To me his face looks like an angry grandma more than Joffrey, but I can see it.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moola posted:

I... I think I love gundams???

Gundam is Unbreakable.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It looks like GW will be updating Age of Sigmar rules every year with points adjustment in a relatively cheap book. Good on them.

Granted, Wraith of Kings does the same thing but much better, but at least they are trying. Bless their souls.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Munin posted:

I like manga boo hiss etc and one of the saddest things is when a series gets really popular

Whenever someone brings up manga I immediately think Berzerk and then cry that it is still going to be a while before we get a new volume.

Man, so the 40k parallels to the end times is insane! All eldar get to join together in a giant force! The potential for non-scattering deepstriking S:D flamer weapons is high!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

Exodite players have it good; at least they don't have to play a terrible game!!

I wanna EXODITE the room when people want to play 40k.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There is a wine/craft beer place close to me that's hosting a boardgame night next weekend. I'll be bringing Sheriff and Aetherium at least... maybe Arcadia Quest?

I'll have to see how big the table are... a lot of my favorite boardgames need a huge amount of space.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

Like some kind of Epic scale with alternating activations? I could go for something like that.

Dropzone is basically better epic. Just like dropfleet is basically better battlefleet gothic.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Joe_Richter posted:

I'd disagree, at least for dropzone to epic comparison. They both have alternate activations but dropzone doesn't have any suppression mechanic like Epic does, and it doesn't have assaults (other than infantry in buildings), so the tanks and whatnot just kinda end up parked across from each other shooting each other (or, more commonly, the buildings in the opponents half).

Fair point. If you want the scale minus the suppression, Dropzone. If you want the suppression minus the scale, there is Warlord (specifically Gates of Antaries for the sci-fi).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

I feel like you could probably make a decent campaign system but you definitely need reverse-death-spirals in place, so people who're on the ropes have more means to pull back instead of vice-versa.

The idea I usually come up with is to have some kind of supplies system where if you get further away from your start point you start getting reinforcements slower, making people who're winning more vulnerable to attrition or something.

The usual issue then is that you'd potentially end in a situation where nobody ever wins, unless it had a fixed turn limit or something.

The tricky thing is you want losers to be relevant in the greater picture without blue shelling people who are winning.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

This was rambling as gently caress , so are there any questions?

You reflect some of my first experiences as well. Had a lizardmen army against an ogre army, and was able to shoot most of his army off the board because of a double turn right off the bat. I also charged two hardhitting but fragile units (the ripperdactlys) into the army which was a mistake because of the alternating units which is kind of a bullshit mechanic. Then discovered that saurus warrior by themselves pretty much suck.

The whole game feels very... touchy. I think it is supposed to be "tactics" but the 3" melee thing is annoying. It's not very intuitive at all and is just stupid detail.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The best way to fix Age of Sigmar is to play Wrath of Kings.

EDIT: Yeah, list building advice is usually the worse. Half the time it's just "toss out all the models and replace it with this list" which is pointless.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 22, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xarbala posted:

Lemon aioli synergizes well with spinach and I'd upgrade those carrots to pickled if you can afford it.

Mayo is good on everything.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Whenever someone says something about Star Wars I usually have to remind them that it is basically a daytime soap show set in space. SPACE OPERA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeK10F6iA8E

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Got to see the new Deathworld Forest box in the flesh and... holy poo poo is it bad. I thought it was just the images and paint job, but no.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Overgrown alien ruins are a really good idea for terrain. I'm not sure what they were thinking with those other, uhh, things?

It doesn't help like they all look like they are going to fall over any second now. I'm sure they are stable, but yuck.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just use statistics and fractions. My orks charge and do 2.3 wounds on your marine squad. Simple. Just be sure to track that .3 wound on the squad.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

Goddammit no I demand all dice rolls use cryptographically secure random number generation. :bahgawd:

I had to write a random number generator for an airplane once. DO-178B level A software. I forgot what it did; I think it was just a random assignment for start of communication or something that wasn't important in the grand scheme of things.
Biggest pain in the rear end. Half my job is writing documentation for things that never get looked at.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

From memory, I think they forgot to print books or produce models so when MKIII dropped, retail had nothing and a bunch of people were put on waiting lists.

Yeah... honestly mkIII seemed rushed for whatever reason. There wasn't really a buildup to it, and they had some initial production problems. I can understand not wanting a long period between "mkIII coming soon" and "mkIII available to buy" but the presentation was a bit flat.

The game seems to emphasis more jacks and less infantry, and it did it by nerfing a lot of infantry. Personally I like it, but I can see why people might have been upset by it. They did seem to overcompensate a touch.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LordAbaddon posted:

I though Blood Bowl was reasonable as a game but I only ever played the pc games so :shrug:

Blood Bowl is good, but you have to take it for what it is: a random number generator that hates you. Half the game is setting up the field to roll the least amount of dice while forcing your opponent to roll the most dice.

Fun models for a good game:

EDIT: OMG the snake have little roboarms! :eyepop:

LordAba fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 11, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

Only if China can be blamed for Nickelback too. I know I certainly can't scrute why people would listen to them.

Hey! At least Nickleback has that one song.

The joke is that all Nickleback songs sound the same.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

Same, I see people talk about it constantly but I've never met anyone who plays :smith:

Anyone going to Adepticon? I'll kick your rear end in Wrath of Kings. I have have a couple armies to chose from.

EDIT: Some people collect miniatures, I collect miniature games.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Skirmish games (Malifaux, Wrath of Kings/Dark Age, even Kings of War if you are talking about unit footprint, Infinity) tend to scale very well model wise. Warmahordes is between a war game and a skirmish game (compare a 75 point game to a battlebox game) so it scales as well.

Infinity and Warmahordes tends not to scale very well rulewise. Warmahordes is a totally different game at larger points when infantry and blocking become key. Infinity goes from "roll a D20, here are the basics of AROs" to "LINK TEAMS WARGEAR LOSS OF LIEUTENANT ARGH" very quickly.

40k doesn't scale down on both fronts; see taking a landraider in a 1000 points or less game against orks. That is the one thing that Age of Sigmar does well I guess, but it is at the cost of everything feeling the same rulewise.
That's why I'm sad people are saying Wrath of Kings isn't something they see being played... it really is everything that Age of Sigmar was going for but implemented well. That box up there? Has a single 30mm, 4x40mm, and 2x50mm models for 50USD. That represents about half an army point-wise. You can get a good, legal Shael Han force for about... 135 bucks. To play the biggest Battle sized games, add about 50-100 dollars on to that, though most of the time you will be playing the Skirmish level. In comparison the GW Prosecutors box is 6 models for 75USD, and they are smaller models to boot... not to mention that this is a cheaper way to get them than before. They used to be something like 40-45 dollars for 3 of them!

LordAba fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 11, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Everyone should play Blood Bowl.

Counter argument: Everyone should play Aetherium.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spectralent posted:

Aetherium also looks dope but nobody plays it either.

The difference with Aetherium is that it can be treated as a wargame (buy your army, blah blah) or a boardgame (one guy has a copy that you all play). Given that the box set basically comes with two full armies it can be very easy to introduce.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

food court bailiff posted:

Your avatar is killer, where do you even find sweet Strange Journey art like that?

Thanks, not sure where I got it but an image search of "Asherah Strange Journey" might point you in a good direction. Minus the fact that there is a lot of horrible fan art.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

One of the Necromunda books has a librarian who discovers a potentially huge secret about the founding of the hive. He spends the first third of the book trying to tell someone about it, which is difficult because the waiting list to see the Princess is so long they've invented a new numbering system to describe people's place in it. And then he spends the second third of the book trying to get equipment for an expedition to the underhive, which is almost impossible because he cut in line to see the Princess so the number he has doesn't match the number of his complaint and that gets everything all hosed up.

There was one of the Inquisitor books (Eisenhorn or Ravenor, I think Ravenor) which they were investigating a planet that basic did peoples taxes. Only the bad guys were starting to corrupt the system and summon demons by putting parts of evil spells in their deductions.

It's like Brazil, but instead of Tuttle it is daemons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

I can not think of situations where people playing in good faith competitively would want the game to be unbalanced or mechanically bad. I can think of scenarios where people playing casually wouldn't mind if the game's balance was poor or the mechanics were bad.

But again this assumes good faith.

Erego, primarily, balance and mechanics are more important for tournament and competitive players.

Then why is competitive 40k a thing? Bad mechanics, unbalanced armies.
Balance is more important for casual play because it supports pick-up-and-go armies and playstyles without hampering the effectiveness of the army. If you can pick what you think looks cool and it is reasonably effective than that is a huge bonus. After all, even a casual player will get discouraged if they never win...

Unless you think "casual" means "idiot player"? Even people who prefer to play goofy scenarios, which can be very fun, are served by balanced gameplay to make sure the scenario is relevant. They might not view it as such but there you go.

It's like saying casual Magic the Gathering players aren't served by having balanced starting decks. Rubbish.

EDIT: As mentioned, you can enjoy a bad game with a good theme. Now imagine it was a good game with a good theme. I'd rather have that because it support all levels of play.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 18, 2017

• Locked thread