Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Hustlin Floh posted:

The Russ actually was updated just a few years ago, it's just that they kept the same look for the most part.

They updated the russ to be easier to put together! They also updated it to remove most of the customization pieces. Same with the Chimera. Not exactly a welcome upgrade.

The new ork codex could be subtitled "25 point twin-linked missile buggies" so the fact that they didn't release a new kit for them is pretty stupid.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cat Face Joe posted:

There's a guy on the Infinity forums looking for Necromunda Escher Girls to chop up into a unit that has perfectly acceptable models. I don't know much about Necromunda but the reverence you all give it I assume this is an unforgivable sin.

I used to buy packs of the Diaz sculpted daemonettes off ebay and toss them.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ilor posted:

[Inigo Montoyo] You keep using that word. I do no thing it means what you thing it means. [/Inigo Montoyo]

Since the RPGers have to gently caress up every topic they touch (jesus, go back to the kickstarter thread) it's mostly true. While some systems are better than others, RPGs are basically non-confrontational between members so you should just take the ruleset you are given and make things up with the power of your imagination.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TKIY posted:

Yeah so age of the emperor is happening. Detailed in the 40K thread but the first things they showed are lifted right from AoS.

They lifted good things from AoS at least.

Too bad it looks like they might have lifted the close combat activation rules, which is the most counter-intuitive system I've ever had the displeasure of playing.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I went to the game store and instead of playing a GW game I played a game of Aetherium. It was fun, and my hounds won the game by running around like mad capturing objectives. RIP puppies.

Maybe you should play a game you like. It would help you relax.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't understand the "Asians don't get representation" thing when the Simpson's are all obviously Asian because of the yellow skin.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

companies are not like people and they are especially not like people you used to date okay

the only thing the two have in common is that you can discuss either without being a gigantic sack of poo poo w/r/t autistic people or whoever

I feel sorry for the Autistics because GW products cost a lot down under.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ijyt posted:

do they actually sell space marine body pillows though real talk

Don't know about space marine, but they have that tyranid one.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Atlas Hugged posted:

The thing to remember though is that these guys weren't not spending money on GW because they were simply done buying models or armies. They weren't spending money because their armies were under supported and 8th edition was a mess of a game. These are the same people who went on to support all the Mantic Kickstarters or to chase item cards in X-Wing or to buy the Oldworld video games or to spend a billion dollars on Kingdom Death or to create an internet fan edit of Warhammer and to support all the small time miniatures companies making models for it or to etc, etc.

If Age of Sigmar didn't happen I would still be playing Fantasy and buying a woodelf army. Instead I'm converting my Lizardmen army into a Forces of Nature army for Kings of War, along with buying the Mantic Niads.
Age of Sigmar means I'm never buying another GW army. I'll keep my Tyranids and Sisters (and Emp Child for 30k), but I was starting a mechanicus/necron army that I'm going to dump soon.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

adhuin posted:

I recognize way too many of those butts.

Should I be worried deaththread?

I want to sit the person who has to highlight all those butts down and hold an intervention.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I eat my organic tomatoes with organic salt.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
EDIT ^^^ That sucks, the sequels to FF4 weren't that great.

In the last 6 months I've played Arcadia Quest, a decent amount of Aetherium (though most of that was for Adepticon), Dropfleet, and lots of Level99 games!

I don't play nearly as much as I like. :(

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Terrible Opinions posted:

Agreed GW shouldn't be praised for making very timid steps toward be better, just like EA shouldn't be praised if their newer games are technically less bad than Dungeon Keeper Mobile.

It's like GW is EA and the other games are Yoko Taro being all like "why do they keep giving me money" and putting out gems like Nier.

I've been playing Nier is what I'm saying.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just like Skullet Johansson playing as the Majorbone in Bone in the Shell was really Boneheaded to Askeletons.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Geisladisk posted:

Women in combat gear, whether it's medieval/fantasy or modern/scifi having very obvious feminine figures is a pet peeve of mine.

This is a woman in combat gear. Notice how you probably wouldn't even have known it wasn't just a pretty dude if I hadn't told you and the filename wasn't female-soldier.jpg.

I'm not gonna not play a game over it or anything, but I really like when miniatures get female soldiers right.

Victoria Lamb's miniatures are pretty good with it. Though remember that the internet told Victoria Lamb that she doesn't know what a female looks like.

LordAba fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 11, 2017

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just discovered they have Absolutely Fabulous in Netflix, so no aliens for me.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

Except this is true because intelligent alien life doesn't exist.

For the Bible tells me so.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm thinking of getting rid of my Shael Han models for Wrath of Kings, and want to offer them here! I had all the factions from the kickstater (because I was insane) and already gave one of my friends the Hadross. I'm keeping Teknis and Goritsi.

So, you want a poo poo load of models? Let me know, send me a PM, US only, final destination. The only stipulation is that you find a sucker and play a game and let us know how it is. Proxy, obviously, and the rules are free so there you go. Granted there are enough models that you can do a Shael Han versus Shael Han game at the smaller levels without duplicating models!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

ankles, knees, bolters, neck

bolters, neck

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait to see all the subfactions come out of this! Xenofaction -> Space Orruks -> Grot Faction -> literally 2 models.

Milky Moor posted:

sorry about your impending blindness, i guess?

knees have the same extended edge above the patella plate, feet have the same armored ridge towards the ankle joint

:allears:
Yeah, it was the "knees and toes" song joke.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TTerrible posted:

11th March 2017: Gathering Storm - Rise of the Primarch is released.

22nd April 2017:

Forty two days.

One bitten, twice the whale income.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xarbala posted:

Everyone and their dog called it on this turning out to be to be the Age of the Emperor
The real curveball was that this is an improvement.

Even GW would have seen what an absolute train wreck age of sigmar was initially. Granted, it would have been hilarious if they didn't take that lesson to heart...

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Clawtopsy posted:

Unit profiles of the future.

Big changes:

Movement stat is back.

WS is now a fixed 'to hit', so having a higher WS than your opponent no longer keeps you safer.

Initiative is gone. Charging units go first. Combined with the WS changes, Dark Eldar weep bitter tears.

My biggest complaint about Age of Sigmar is the close combat order thing is poo poo. So, good job GW?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
If you want to see random versus perfect information card games there is always Battlecon versus Exceed. It's not externally resource driven (see mana -> spells versus attacks-as-resources) but it is a good example of how minor changes can drive an entire different game.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

I read the entirety of The Maxx recently (like I just finished the last book 10 minutes ago). It was possibly the weirdest thing I've read.

Well that's my story, bye everyone.

The Maxx is crazy. I really like a lot of those epic comics (that actually have a beginning and an ending). Bone is great, SCUD the disposable assassin is great, y the last man is great. Watchmen is pretty awesome.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fnordcircle posted:

Honestly I still really wish FFG had done pre-paints for Runewars. I get that there's economic reasons why it probably wasn't feasible but I think only pre-painted models would allow a new game to really compete.

There's something nice about going in, buying the new wave of Armada stuff and not being like 'ok cool, in 5 months when I have the perfect convergence of time and desire I will get these ready to go onto the table.'

I know a lot of people who see the hobby requirements for Warmahordes or KoW and their eyes glaze over and they buy another booster box of MTG cards or more X-wing models instead.

Aren't they at least pre-assembled? That goes a long ways.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Soulfucker posted:

This one is really cute 9/10 would field

I like to imagine him at an optometrist with a phoropter in front of him.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gorefiend posted:

Yeah rolling for initiative with alternating activations is fine. That mechanic is even a key part of Guild Ball's momentum mechanic.

Same thing with malifaux. You can even spend limited resources to try to help you on a key turn.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leperflesh posted:

GW is less bad than they used to be. I don't think the thread consensus on that point has actually changed noticeably for months, there's just been a concerted effort to insist that the death thread rabidly hates GW.

GW: Setting the bar. To the minimum needed.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The Bee posted:

The more I think of it, the more I like how the Inceptors seem to play. Thanks to a lack of a dedicated melee option, you want to strafe around firing, rocket down to chance a mortal wound, then bail and repeat the process. It makes them feel nice and distinct compared to chainsword units.

But as a compromise they look really goofy and have a dumb name compared to Assaults. I wish GW just kept the same names, honestly.

Yeah, 3 of them drop down, rock 18 heavy bolter shots into a support character, and laugh.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
In other "bad company" news it seems like Ninja Division/Soda Pop is continuing to poo poo the bed.

First they sent a press email saying that they are breaking up with Prodos and the AvP kickstarter will be fulfilled by... magic fairy dust basically. Then they sent an email telling people to ignore it! Now there is a intellectual property dispute on the AvP game (that might not be new, who knows) and it seems like that was a waste of a kickstarter.

SDE, one of their most popular games, is undergoing so much churn who knows how that will end up. They are changing up the brand, game modes, and model releases on a weekly basis. They have been focusing on Pet Parade, a minigame that nobody asked for, instead of Legends, which is what the kickstarter was actually funding.

Relic Knights has the heaving anime breasts, but its rule system is going under an entire overhaul, including removing everything that made it unique! That's going over well so far.
Literally. Their order of activation system and hand-of-cards system where good and made the system unique. It had its problems, of course, but nothing that couldn't be solved. So they decided to just dump them for a standard activation system and a flip system. They basically made their game poo poo Malifaux. Which is tough, cause Malifaux is a pretty drat good game. Massive backlash in the kickstarter of course.

Rail Raiders, Way of the Fighter, Ninja All Stars: still kinda poo poo.
This is what happens when mediocre game makers try to get into business. Internal drama, kickstarters to stay afloat, vastly shifting the established rules of their money making game systems...

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avenging Dentist posted:

Didn't they originally do the models for the Robotech wargame too?

Yup.
Ninja Division was also the last nail in the coffin of Anima Tacics and Hell Dorado.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

For_Great_Justice posted:

Holy poo poo Pawl. I'm terrible but wow.

It is almost like we are the https://www.nothingawful.com forums.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Zark the Damned posted:

AFAIK Ninja Division bought the rights for Anima and HD, basically didn't bother distributing it properly, then threw their hands up and said 'welp, these aren't selling well so we're discontinuing them, go buy our anime titty and tentacle rape games instead, lol thx bye.'

Yeah, the marketing was horrendous. I always imagined that Anima would go away (since they had their own anime game to publish) but Hell Dorado was unique enough and was established enough as a ruleset that they could have worked on it without impact too many other things.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

Well if that's your jam then mums the word on this hot 8th ed LoW daemon engine leak I got for you-

I'd buy that for a dollar!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sir Teabag posted:

Pretty sure the Index idea was tacked on when they saw how bad the reception for Sigmar was, when it launched without points. They'll probably do the profiles and points better going forward because it won't be a reflexive panic move; at least for the units and armies that they continue to support.

If you look at the absolute loving mess trying to figure out the points of a single model in your army, you are absolutely right they are just working towards dumping them. They can't even include the default equipment in the models! A Haruspex has three weapons, all unique, with two of them costing 0 points and 1 of them costing 11 points on a 267 point monster.
It is like a car company not wanting to sell motorcycles, so they keep the motorcycles locked in the basement.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wyrd does a thing where they offer an extra free model in packs if you buy them from a flgs. Their products can be easily obtained by asking your flgs for them. The problem is that they aren't big enough for stores to stock. Which is a shame.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Bistromatic posted:

I just realized: What happens to the sad marine under the stairs now? :smith:

Nobody knows what it's like to be the sad-rine. To be the bad-rine. Behind small eyes.

EDIT: Serious post, do you think AoS sales will tank now that they basically have 2 versions of the same game? The differences between Fantasy and 40k were miles more than 8th and AoS.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm interested in that Runwars game, let me read a review of it!

"Coming from Age of Sigmar in particular and being an avid player and fan of that game, it all just seems too cumbersome and weighted down with fiddly bits. Age of Sigmar is four pages of rules, your figures, whatever surface you are playing on, some terrain models, and a tape measure. Resolutions are all D6 based. All of the unit rules are on Warscrolls, which you can pull up on your phone. It's really a simpler game in terms of rules and physical components, but equally complex and deep. Maybe some folks think all of the extra stuff makes it more strategic or whatever, but I look at all of the clutter out on the table including the double dials you put out by your units and just kind of shrug. Yep, it's a Fantasy Flight Game. "
"I'll not be trading in any of my Age of Sigmar armies for Runewars booster packs primarily because I think this game- which already seems destined for popularity- feels almost completely redundant with other games. It feels far too much like a "me too" product put on the market chiefly to appeal to three kinds of players. One is the massive X-Wing fanbase, who would likely prefer that this game were set in the Star Wars universe and featured land battles with AT-ATs and ranks of Stormtroopers rather than the embarrassingly bland Terrinoth setting. The second type is board gamers who are reluctant to play games that have tape measures and army books or have not gotten the memo that buying stacks of board games is just as expensive as buying a miniatures army. The third are players who are still (to speak quite frankly) stupidly aggrieved that Games Workshop smartly rebooted and streamlined Warhammer Fantasy Battles into Age of Sigmar. "

The one thing consistently worse than GW? GW fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rulebook Heavily posted:

So 8th takes a ton of its skeleton from AoS, so why do I like it better than AoS?

I'm just going to compare the two games "at launch", although AoS suffers from a lot of its launch problems still and will do so for the foreseeable future. And I'm going to use organizational points like it's a powerpoint presentation because why the gently caress not, if I'm going to nerd I'm going to nerd fully. It might even make the post readable.

So it's still GW, it's still not going to be the best, it's still not super innovative, but it's a clear sign that GW saw their mistakes and learned from them and iterated into something that more resembles a fun tactical game. Fair Enough.

And someone read our posts. Seriously. I get deja vu with how they phrase some of the criticism they've reported.

For me, it is that they didn't blow up 40k and make a completely new game.

Otherwise shooting into combat, the random turn order, and the stupid picking CC system of AoS kills it.
If it wasn't for the bonus you get in CC for charging in 40k I would drop it like a sack of potatoes. Such a stupid stupid system that actively punishes the player 50% of the time. DUMB. I joke about GW because, hey, Death Thread... but the CC resolution in AoS is one of the worse game designs I have ever seen.

• Locked thread