Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

A lovely Reporter posted:

Wait, that wasn't a link to a parody video? :psyduck:

Seconding this. Is that an actual, real thing you can buy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I thought I was beyond bafflement at things GW sells :psyduck:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

The superpowers aren't even major players in the future of Infinity. Russia, the US and UK got stuck in the warp and showed up late. Space catholic australia is the closest thing to space america, and asia, the middle east, and probably others I'm forgetting are the major cultures.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Not a viking posted:

Actually, it's an HVT model (High Value Target). They are used as a mission objective for players to interact with (hack them, mark them for laser guided weapons, dominate the area around them) and are usually thought of as a representative of the O-12, a kind of interplanetary UN. If you attack them in any way you auto lose the game.

I'm not sure how that would change the meaning of the name "dragon lady", but it's not just a lady with an umbrella.

"Dragon Ladies" are yellow peril stereotypes that asian women (or at least asian women who aren't meek helpless love interests) are deceitful, domineering and mysterious. I guess you could think of them as specifically racist kinds of femme fatale, though they're usually too powerful or mysterious to actively use seduction as a weapon.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I was told (admittedly by a linguist, so I put some more trust in it than random hearsay) that English has worked really well as a pidgin language because English is a really redundant, low-information language. Apparently most other languages are more internally consistent, and so as a consequence getting them wrong makes you really hard to understand, whereas in English everyone understands what "Working hard to put food on your family" meant.

EDIT: And it kind of makes sense to me because I spent several minutes trying to think of the most gibberish things I could say and I had trouble.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

If the movies are anything to go by the average pilot lasts about 15 seconds in a battle.

How realistic!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Mantic needs to hire better painters real fast.

How about some models with loads of detail you can't see because the entire armour's painted white, sure that sounds good. - some guy at mantic presumably

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I can't decide if I like the guy in blue quietly GTFOing in the foreground or the brown team guy who shows up after everyone's dead already and still manages to break his neck tripping over a corpse.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ashcans posted:

Yea, it's become obvious that the stuff I actually liked about GW was either completely unintentional to begin with, or no longer understood by the people who are still doing it. :(

I feel like FFG did a decent job but of course they got fired, so :shrug:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

TheChirurgeon posted:

It seems more like they violated their agreement with GW, which led to the relationship breaking down

I'm not sure that's been substantiated but it really doesn't change the fact FFG have been doing a better job with lore than GW's managed in probably a decade.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I thought this definitely wasn't the end times in space?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I actually watched a game of AoS today and it was pretty awful. I could give a breakdown of what the hell was wrong with it but even actively following it and having the rationales explained to me it seemed like an utter trashfire. It was, apparently, tournament practise, but god knows how you have a competitive element to a game where the game can be won at the start of turn 2 by getting two consecutive turns and annihilating everything before it can fight.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Atlas Hugged posted:

I want to like Dropzone but I don't like the aesthetic. I'm sure the rules are great, but none of the factions appeal to me. I had the same problem with WarmaHordes.

I don't like anyone in dropzone but multiple fleets in dropfleet :smith:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Hra Mormo posted:

Systems like this usually just lead to one person snowballing ahead, usually at complete random, ruining the campaign for everyone else. Similar campaign systems pop up every now and then but generally they're only seen as a viable system for solitaire or co-op games. If one player keeps losing a good 1v1 game would offer a handicap system where the game gets easier for the guy who keeps losing. Campaign systems like what you found in Mordheim for example do the exact opposite, it's bad design. The ideal of the game is nice but in practice it just sucks.

I feel like you could probably make a decent campaign system but you definitely need reverse-death-spirals in place, so people who're on the ropes have more means to pull back instead of vice-versa.

The idea I usually come up with is to have some kind of supplies system where if you get further away from your start point you start getting reinforcements slower, making people who're winning more vulnerable to attrition or something.

The usual issue then is that you'd potentially end in a situation where nobody ever wins, unless it had a fixed turn limit or something.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

LordAba posted:

The tricky thing is you want losers to be relevant in the greater picture without blue shelling people who are winning.

I think hitting them with direct penalties would be harsh, but the idea that the further ahead you are the further you are from backup doesn't seem like slapping people for winning; you get more VP and you take bigger risks for them.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ilor posted:

Bonus experience doesn't help you when all your dudes get killed.

Yeah but this is because campaigns keep giving you These Specific Guys like whatever battle you're fighting has exactly ten rangers to spare or whatever. You absolutely need a reinforcement/resupply mechanic of some sort.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

He somehow got really chunky looking, though.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

To be fair, the double turn appears to basically end the game almost irrespective of what you're doing.

Things I have now seen happen in double turns:

Two successive combats on an already-crippled unit, wiping the bulk of the defender's army before they have any ability to react by reinforcing or withdrawing troops.
Have a flyer scoot onto an objective, ending the game immediately.
Have a caster open twice by summoning poo poo, approximately doubling the amount of rank-and-file on his side of the board.

EDIT: Like, this is three for three, I've never seen a double turn where I didn't look at the guy on the other side and go "Well, he's hosed".

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

LordAbaddon posted:

So is AoS even fixable or are its problems so ingrained that its always gonna be this poo poo? The setting sucks but at this point Im more interested if there is even the ghost of potential exists for it.

The thing is, why would you want to fix AoS? Like, yeah, given work, it's probably okay. But what's so good that you'd want to salvage the rest of the game to preserve it? It's not like Epic where there's a load of good mechanics with some weird crufty 90s bullshit between it it'd be nice to file off, or bloodbowl where there's some good ideas and a lot of character you might want to try and preserve over playing something else. It's just a really bad game that has reasonably conventional mechanics that, where they differ from competitors, are usually worse.

Now, I've been lamenting that the only small fantasy skirmish game there seems to be is Frostgrave, and I guess that's a niche, but why in hell you'd want AoS to be your core instead of something like the LotR game (which had a bunch of good ideas) or Mordeheim (which was pretty 90s but fair for it's day) is beyond me.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

HardCoil posted:

But double turns statistically happens half of the time?

I don't sit and watch AoS games hugely often :v:

Leperflesh posted:

For some people, AOS is the only fantasy minis game in town, literally. For others, they have friends they want to play with. I can relate to the folks who just cave in and play what people want them to play.

Also, re: chat on previous pages, AOS does sorta kinda have alternating activations. In the melee combat phase, your opponent gets to fight with his units alternating with you fighting with your units. It's limited to melee only, though, so they can't like move or shoot or whatever, but I figured in fairness it's worth mentioning.

The game is still poo poo, of course.

It seems like going first in a given combat is often decisive unless your units suck. I often felt the optimal thing for people to do, instead of resolving it "fairly" or "common-sense" as I heard it described, was to abandon any unit that's had swings at it already, to get a pre-emptive assault on some other combat and massively reduce the incoming harm there. Maybe there's a rule I don't know about that prevents that.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Largely unrelated question since this is basically the wargames chat thread: How long does it usually take your FLGS to get stuff in after you put in orders, and whereabouts are you?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

As much as Frostgrave isn't perfect, I like it enough that I'm really looking forward to this.

More than 150 years have passed since the apocalypse that nearly destroyed the Earth. Today, the planet is a torn remnant of its former glory, ravaged by nuclear fallout and mutagens. New lifeforms - Mutants and Synthetics - challenge True Humanity for dominance, while warring factions compete for survival and supremacy, and all must carve out their place in this brutal landscape, or else perish as billions before them.

Scrappers is a skirmish miniatures game set in the wastelands, where players assemble Scrapper Crews and send them out to scavenge scraps of Ancient technology and battle rival factions. Explorers, cultists and raiders clash with mutated creatures, robotic soldiers and embittered True Humans in this wargame of salvage and survival in the ruins of the future.

Looks pretty dope tbqh

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

TKIY posted:

Even the die hardiest of die hards plays base to base now.

At my store everyone measures-to-model! :v:

(They do not account for turning)

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Moola posted:

what an absolute miserable piece of poorly written poo poo this game is jfc

It seriously sounds like baby's first war game; It's like if you designed a war game but made no attempt to look at any other game made since the 90s

Huh, what was the autowin in LotR? I remember that being pretty decent.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Chill la Chill posted:

EU/CK are also both jokingly referred to as cuck simulators since there ends up being a lot of soap opera melodrama in your royal family that probably also really did happen in real life.

EUIV is all about nations, your individual monarch doesn't matter too much.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

LGD posted:

CK pretty actively encourages it since breeding your line of nobility for randiness and philandering is highly advantageous in ensuring you've got enough heirs and instrumentally useful relatives.

It also gives you loads of people with claims, though. Make a big dynasty and then trim :geno:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

talking to gamers about probability is a rapid route to an aneurysm. x-wing players who think that drawing more cards from the crit deck reduces the chance of future draws being direct hits :|

I haven't played X-Wing for... probably more than a year, but don't you remove cards from the deck when they're drawn? In that case you would remove direct hits by drawing them, if that's useful.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

to be clear, the context here was whether flipping extra face-down crits when a ship is overkilled makes you less likely to get a direct hit in future. it does not, unless you actually exhaust the deck

Aaaah, right right. I follow.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

JerryLee posted:

I had no idea "dice tower" referred to something besides those little jenga-esque stacks of dice that you build when you're bored waiting for your turn

same

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

FrostyPox posted:

There are a ton of good things about AoS.

Compared to leprosy? Yeah, definitely.

FrostyPox posted:

Those are holy loving balls amazing, but Wrath of Kings seemed to die out almost immediately locally :(

Same, I see people talk about it constantly but I've never met anyone who plays :smith:

LordAbaddon posted:

In more rural areas i can understand that but I would imagine that almost all major cities have a warmahordes scene and most either have malifaux, infinity, or both.

I wonder if the lack of a widely-played "simple" game isn't a factor. Granted, warhammer (or 40k) aren't exactly paragons, but they're what a lot of people grew up with and learned that Wargames Are, so a lot of people internalised it, while Malifaux and Infinity are both very intricate games, and warmahordes has a lot of moving parts to play a faction correctly.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

ilmucche posted:

How many AoS/ 40k games go longer than 3 turns? It seems like you normally get 2 or 3 chances to make some decisions, then the game ends. In 5 hours.

I keep watching it be played and this is basically it. There's not really anything to comment on, just a turn or so of moving them you resolve combat for ages.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

...Is that the new marines? Are the new gullimarines just the old marines but not hosed-up scalewise? :psyduck:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Ilor posted:

:agreed: Aetherium is cool and good. We played our first game with a House Ikaru force a while back; they are bizarre and cool and some of the unit interactions were intriguing in unexpected ways.

Aetherium also looks dope but nobody plays it either.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I don't know how anyone's looking at the tophat dwarf without A: wanting to punch the nerd in hipster steampunk armour and B: imagining that he just had his backpack clipped onto a balloon and is about to float off into the sky screaming impotently like a looney toons character.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I think this is the first legitimately interesting thing I've heard about AoS.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Does anyone make mod packs for Good 28mm scale historical tanks to sci-fi them up a bit? Because most sci fi tanks are kinda poo poo, I tend to find. I know dreamforge (IIRC?) do a pack for the hanomag.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Yeah, sadly I don't really like their pulp-history thing.

Sci fi stuff is always a bind because most sci fi tanks look either horribly retro or "a modern tank but the searchlights are in a different place".

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

NTRabbit posted:

https://www.zinge.co.uk/ makes the sort of stuff you're looking for

Oooh, sweet! Thanks.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I basically gave up on autism. It's going to be like retardation or special needs and slip out of the medical lingo because it's used solely by assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

TheChirurgeon posted:

It's an ongoing problem--those states will always be considered undesirable, so each time you give them a new label, that same label will be adopted by society at large as a pejorative.

e: still worth fighting, though

Yeah, it's euphemism treadmill stuff, but I feel like autism's already hit the point where it's rolling off the end.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Not to be flip but the op of the 5th edition thread has a full break down of the differences compared to 3rd and 4th. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3647634&perpage=40

The biggest sin, for me, from 5th is that is goes back to every class having its own fun to play scale from 2nd and 3rd that 4th was able to avoid. Casters start out with limited abilities that quickly balloon while what you're doing as a level 1 fighter largely stays the same straight to 20.

If you want a game that does everything that 4th was able to accomplish but better try 13th Age.

or Strike which is very directly 4e but better.

The biggest sin 4e has is how much fuckin' work it is to prep and run. There's too many powers and items and feats and paragon paths and aaaaagh. Strike's so much easier to handle.

• Locked thread