Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Reposting this from mistake in the other GW thread,

Hey guys I'd post this in the other thread but it's still closed. Got Codenames and Karuba for Christmas and they went over real well and everyone had a good time. Thanks for the suggestions for fun games!

Atlas Hugged posted:

Apparently they're reprinting Rogue Trader this year. I, uh, might give GW money.

Sounds like you can only get it at Warhammer World or "select events" which is lovely since I can't think of any select GW events worth going to even if they didn't massively over charge for Games Day.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah that would be ok if they pull a Space Hulk and say it's only available for a limited time then proceed to flood the market with it a month after release.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

No, the old Warhammer thread is the sad thread.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

I played Kings of War today. gently caress Dwarves.

This is true in literally every fantasy setting.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hahaha

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Star Wars board games don't get better than this one.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Katarinya Greyfax's story is basically she was in statis and got awoken and is like "WTF is going on with the Wolf Dudes and psykers everywhere how is this even 40k anymore Games Workshop???"

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

but how will school boys be able to play with dice they got from old copies of Monopoly??

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

So did they bring back Celestine just to kill her off against or is she on whatever Craftworld pissed off into space?

Also if GW is going to give the rights to WFRPG to someone how is that going to work when they blew up that setting? Is it going to just be some dumbass poo poo where it's set in End Times right before everything got reality balled or are they going to have it be in a discontinued world?

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 30, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bistromatic posted:

I'm imagining PETA protesting for the ethical treatment of tyranids and standing between the nids and whatever planetary defenders there are.

People Eaten by Tyranid Armies.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm hoping this game is good. The models already look a lot better than Mantic's which I think is a big deal in terms of getting people excited.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/1/30/command-and-control/

Looking into this a bit I wonder exactly how large this game will be played. It's looking like it's using a similar system to Xwing where you have to buy boxes to get cards and such and those boxes cost $30. Sounds like it might be getting expensive which isn't great for an untested game breaking into the market. Privateer Press has gone to opposite way where you but the army in the app for $10 and you are good forever which is a lot more consumer friendly.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jan 31, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

So the Nova Open just opened for registration today. I saw this for the 40k GT: https://novaopenstore.com/NoVACart/Home/EventItem/1056

So, holy moly it's $70 just for the tournament. It cost me that much for the convention pass and x-wing tournament pass. But look at the schedule, which is insane:

Price: $70.00
Instructor / Organizer: Phil Rodokanakis and Neil Gilstrap
Max Attendees: 256
Date(s):
Fri 9/01/2017 - (Round 1)
09:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Fri 9/01/2017 - (Round 2)
01:30 PM - 04:30 PM
Fri 9/01/2017 - (Round 3)
05:00 PM - 08:00 PM
Sat 9/02/2017 - (Round 4)
09:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Sat 9/02/2017 - (Round 5)
01:30 PM - 04:30 PM
Sat 9/02/2017 - (Round 6)
05:00 PM - 08:00 PM
Sun 9/03/2017 - (Round 7)
11:30 AM - 02:30 PM
Sun 9/03/2017 - (Round 8)
03:00 PM - 06:00 PM
:psyduck:

Looking at the primer is also a laugh, as always. It's 20 pages. e: lol just noticed on the bottom of page 16 is a link to an FAQ which is another 35 pages.

Eight rounds what the hell? Is that how these things run now? I can't remember playing in one more than five. I can't remember if NOVA was always like that since I was more familiar with the Fantasy side. It sounds exhausting.

Tournaments trying to "fix" GW games are always the best since the games are so broken you really should just accept it outside of a few glaring issues. NOVA used to have a lot of house rules to patch up the holes in 40k which was its favorite child while the other games were all pushed into the other hall. I wonder if that's still the case.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 2, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I mean once you have to put out 50 pages of un-official rules I just don't understand the point of playing that game competitively... It's like you have basically created a different game at that point and admitting it's badly designed at its core.

Good for Xwing though. :wookie:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"Play in what were are realizing but don't want to admit is a far better setting than the reality balls nightmare we destroyed it for and need that for licencing out to video games, but don't expect any actual real support ever."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

We got a little card with the case number and they said they'll keep us up-to-date. Luckily, he didn't appear to have any external injuries, but it's obviously really hard to figure out what's going on with wild animals with a cursory glance.

That's cool of them. The place we used to drop off animals basically didn't let you know how it resolved which sucked. Some wild animals play possum in that sort of situation so crossing fingers for bunny buddy.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

Tfw you finish an entire x-wing tournament in the span of a single 40k game.

Seriously Warhammer tournaments were loving exhausting. You'd get there early, sometime even a little after dawn, and the thing would last past sundown. Add in the fact that the terrible rules system resulted in tons of arguments because everyone there was playing with their local house rules since they never actually read the books combined with people just getting tired and irritable after eight hours of standing playing and they were just not worth it. I had some good experiences when I was heavily into that scene but it burned me out on a lot of aspects of that community and I really don't have a lot of interest in spending large amounts of time playing against strangers that have a high chance of being douchebags. At least with other games they are over quickly and you can move on from those types.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 9, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Xarbala posted:

AoS rules were designed not to allow you to craft narratively interesting or tactically engaging battles but to frontload a bunch of synergies through unit selection to try to win before the game even starts. Victory is even more likely when your opponent is using a legacy army from WHFB as those are deliberately underpowered to encourage sales of newer models for this lovely, lovely game, and it's both painfully transparent and incredibly insulting to AoS players' intelligence.

Incidentally, not many AoS players notice or mind.

From before I quit playing Warhammer fantasy, 40k, and LOTR (so about four years ago) this is 100% how those games were played competitively. Every time my tournament playing friends talked up their latest army lists, they were describing how they would basically win by turn 2 (or were effectively unbeatable in the case of LOTR) unless they were hard countered. It's totally unsurprising that AoS is even worse and that the people that played GW games are cool with that. It's one of the reasons I quit because why bother to play this expensive game that's decided on a piece of paper?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

spectralent posted:

Huh, what was the autowin in LotR? I remember that being pretty decent.

Not sure about LotR (Uruk-hai were super strong but not sure if they were busted) but in WotR there was basically an unbeatable list. I can't remember the specifics but it basically revolved around one mega unit and a bunch of war machines. You had all the good guy heroes in it and there was this trick to generating infinite might based on a few abilities that stacked. There was a chance it didn't go infinite but that required some impressively bad luck. So then you used the might to cast the spell where people can't charge that unit and any casualties from shooting could be healed via magic. While that is going on the warmachines are doing enough damage so that you get enough points to win.

There were other broken interactions but as far as I know that one was the worst since basically it could not be stopped. WotR was super broke.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

LotR is susceptible to broken stuff, especially in specific matchups and scenarios. I played one scenario where my guys all randomly came in piecemeal and my opponent just got to point and click kill before I could do anything as long as he didn't roll 1s (and my guys were super high defense which didn't matter). For me personally I hate it but I haven't played it nearly enough to actually say if it is good or not. Lots of people that I think have good opinions say it is so it might just not be for me.

WotRs however is straight up bad. They also package ranged and melee guys in the same boxes to force you to buy more which is extra lovely.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Oh my that spell....

Like even for super wacky fun times it does literally nothing unless you have absolutely no concept of how statistics works. Maybe that's the point and it's some kind of joke but really it's not funny enough to waste the time for something like that.

Not a viking posted:

Please let that be a spell that you need to put effort into casting!

Yeah this.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The balloons really make them look dumb in the same way that the Grey Knight baby harness robot looks dumb.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

No Ecclesiastical force. :negative:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I hope I can get a virus grenade and one shot my opponent's army that was cool to do in 2nd.

My memories of 2nd was just my friends and I thinking up more ridiculous silver bullets to gently caress over each other.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Mansions of Madness second edition is real good but you have to house rule the insanity cards because those are real dumb and ruin an otherwise fun game.

The monster models suck but you just use the cardboard squares with the art on them and it's totally fine.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bad Moon posted:

True confessions I tried to play both Witcher 2 & 3 but just for whatever reason did not like the gameplay enough to wade through the dull open world questing.

I really did try to like it but it just never clicked with me.

Yeah this is me too. I got to the second area of Witcher 2 and immediately got a bunch of boring MMO style quests and just totally lost interest.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Panzeh posted:

Runewars might be good but i suspect if it fails itll be because hardcore minis guys will thumb their nose at it the way they do x-wing and it being too expensive for other kinds of players.

I just bought it and from reading the rules I like a lot of the way it basically modernizes parts of Warhammer Fantasy that were very clunky. I have no idea if it will fail or not but it looks like a solid attempt to get into the wargame market. It comes with a separate lore book which was a nice surprise since I feel that for these types of games to really succeed they need some kind of background people can get invested into and Runebound's has always just been very white noise and picked up from item or monster descriptions. It is kinda pricey which I think might end up being a problem if you are expected to field a lot of stuff or they stupidly try and make you buy units you don't need for powerful effect cards similar to X Wing.

TKIY posted:

This is worth money:

This is a good boy/girl.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 14, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I am equal opportunity skeletons.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

TheChirurgeon posted:

Man who cares? gently caress people who view Magic cards as investments

Also that planeswalker topped out at $15 anyway because the combo was so degenerate that no one was playing the format she was being used in

Yeah, they put out a garbage game that reset/wiped the setting and then stopped making them, which is a real shame.

Yeah the last game was stupid and changed the tone so dramatically it felt really off then they just went all in on Fire Emblem and face touching. I like Fire Emblem ok but if they could put out one less of those for a new classic Advance Wars it would be good.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The big difference in Advance Wars is that I don't have to worry about permadeath or leveling up troops for the future. Every mission is encapsulated and it's better (at least for me) for picking up and playing stuff for a half hour and not having to think past the current goal then setting it down for a while. I think there's room for both games and it's sad they've abandoned one.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I heard through the local rumor vine that supposedly I know a guy that playtested 8th. He used to be really good at breaking that game wide open in order to make stuff that was incredibly difficult to beat and abusing the poor rules writing and list design inherent in 40k. It would be pretty funny if that dude pushed GW to actually make a fairly decent and balanced game and then they invalidated all of his efforts in like six months once they inevitably put out the poorly designed codexes.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm not sure. I've fallen out of the community but for a while the DMV area was the epicenter of horrible GW lists for like every system. I have no idea if that's still the case of if somewhere else has become the new power gamer place. I've known a few guys that I would trust to break a system and then report how they did it and how GW could stop it from happening but I've also heard that GW basically just does playtesting as a formality and tweaks some points here and there based on reports rather than actually do any real fixes.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 5, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I like Warmachine OK but I've seen on more than one occasion it make a terrible first impression when a guy brings his awesome list full of complicated combos to an intro game and win the game on like turn two where models have abilities that chain together and become difficult to deal with when you don't know the way the game works. You can see the look on the other guy's face where he's just decided he's wasted his money and quits the game right there at the table because it's so obviously broken (it isn't but sure can look that way if you don't understand how to play yet).

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah that wasn't a slam against Warmachine at all. I had the same thing happen to me in Malifaux where I basically lost the game before it even started based on the objectives I picked and the other guy's combo units but didn't know better. I said I was new and would appreciate any tips but had to waste two hours of my life before I realized I literally never had a chance and quit. Even if the game was good it pretty much made me understand I didn't want to play in that community.

I believe some of Those Guys think they are doing the new player a service and aren't trying to be assholes by showing newbies how the game is "really played" which has some logic to it but really it just makes the game look broken as hell because they don't have the reference for how it all clicks together.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 5, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I personally want to play more of that Runebound mini game. The rules seem fairly tight and they are picking and choosing good stuff from a few other systems. Problem is, like most non-X wing FF games you can't find anyone else to play it. I kinda also like the way they handle the winds of magic totally original random magic system.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 6, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Ultiville posted:

Yeah same. I think it'd probably have had a hard time regardless, but speaking of bad decisions by game companies, FFG's standard release pattern for their games like that makes no sense. You still can't buy very many extras for Runebound, just more archers/cav and some unit leaders. So even if someone picked it up, really liked it, and wanted to go deep, there's nowhere obvious to go. Everyone who knows about FFG's general behavior knows they'll want to get at least one of the unit expansions for the upgrade cards, so buying a second box set is pretty low-value, but that's the only way to get more of some of your units right now. Let alone new units, which they've announced but you can't get yet.

It's intensely frustrating.

Yeah I know people that are waiting on the elves to start since buying the base set is a waste of money if you don't want to use any of those models and being Fantasy Flight who the hell knows when that expansion will get off the boat.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VHS being allowed on Warrior Priests was the stupidest loving thing.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

NTRabbit posted:

What were they supposed to do, use betamax?

This is good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

LoS is so subjective you basically have to allow people to say "can your guy see my guy?" when you are moving them because otherwise it's just something that is often up to individual interpretation. If someone wants to play the gotcha game where they are waiting for you to make a mistake because from your perspective on the table something is out of site but if you squint from theirs you you can see an arm they are not going to be fun to play against. I don't enjoy playing against anyone that is really committed to not confirming stuff like that before you finalize movement.

• Locked thread