Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Moola posted:

I'm watching Star Wars Rebels

also :gas:

Rebels is good. Just started Season 2 and Vader is just a goddamn DEMON.

And my Warpath KS Dorf jump squad and hero with doggie came in the Mail. I might have them assembled before the heat death of the universe maybe.

Also glad to see the thread back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

JackMack posted:

I am playing the long game with mine. Daddy goes out and paints models in a shed with a spinny chair . I keep it a bit mysterious but also let her have a look at my models whilst I am painting. ("Amazing daddy") She also likes looking at models on this forum. I avoid mentioning anything to do with the violence, a lot of models carry sticks and some of them cameras (that was here impression of guys with rocket launchers) . I am posting as she has taken my new copy of the This is Not a Test rule book away to look at the maps (as any map is obviously a treasure map).

Since it is Christmas death thread here are some pictures of my daughter hanging out with me in my shed.

'Painting' on the aforementioned spinny chair

Forging the narrative as GW intended. These dreadnought are kissing. The silver "Obot" is the mummy.

I will enjoy these early years before she learns to resent her nerdy father.

You could also get some of the Impact Miniatures Chibis including ponies with various option parts and help her make cute little horsie minis. :3: anyone who doesn't want super deformed Tiamat and VENGER minis is a bad butthead spergheimer with no soul. :colbert:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/12/the-dougram-boardgames-part-2.html I did another thing on the old Dougram boardgames, aka BATTLETECH ZERO EDITION.

I should do some cool poo poo with this game and FORGE MY NARRATIVE. Like add in rules for the terrain types on Squad Leader maps n poo poo so we can have Robit Stalingrad n stuff.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Ettin posted:

You can thank Palpek for making it! It was a Halloween av but for now I'm keeping it :buddy:

It's now the superior Skellietar. Moola is gonna have to step up his game.

BEGUN THE BONE WARS HAVE. :yoda:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2016/12/operation-game-collection-star-wars.html

You know what is even better than Dorfs? STAR WARS.

I decided to do a megapost on my D6 Star Wars RPG collection because I loving love D6 Star Wars RPG though the miniatures game was super bad. With Rogue One, Carrie Fisher's Death, and me binge watching my Season 1-2 Rebels Blu Rays and *cough* catching up on the third season it seemed like an appropriate thing to do.

Plus you know, lamenting how my favorite RPG besides Call of Cthulhu just doesn't get used because DURR ITS NOT DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Atlas Hugged posted:

If it's not in the movies, I don't see how you could possibly care. Every time people talk about wanting more Star Wars I don't think they actually mean it. What they mean is that they want more "hero's journey" style stories where an average person rises up to claim their destiny while overcoming adversity, falling in love, and saving the day. Star Wars is just a version of that. It's why Guardians of the Galaxy was a surprise hit. It tells basically the same story, but in a fresh and interesting way. It's also why every time there's a new Star Wars movie, everyone has a list a million items long about how it failed or succeeded. Everyone knows they like "Star Wars" as a concept, but very few people are actually capable of expressing why and I would hazard to say it's because people don't really like Star Wars at all. They like the archetypes that Star Wars uses, which are the same archetypes that have been used thousands of times in storytelling.

I disagree with all of this completely.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Moola posted:

I agree with a lot of what they said in that video

my biggest complaint is that the main characters are just unlike-able and shallow

disagree that you can't do anything in a star wars story but repeat the heroes journey over and over

My next mega post blog about D20 Star Wars is gonna talk about this a bit actually. There are a ton of very stupid people who will straight up insist bog standard DnD style Fantasy is wide and varied and you can do SO MUCH with it and then say Star Wars in specific and Sci Fi in general you can't.

This is dumb. At least in Sci Fi you don't have 10-20 sentient races all on one planet they can't really get off of plus tons of flora and fauna that exist mostly to kill everything.

It's sort of like saying there is only one story you can do with World War 2. That level of non thinking Derp makes my brain hurt.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Avenging Dentist posted:

One of the things that worries me about the side stories is that they all seem like they're trying to tie directly into the main story, which I think makes everything feel even smaller because you never get anything really new. I worry that this will end up sacrificing effort on just having great characters in stories that stand on their own. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the Rebellion had more resources than just what they had on Yavin IV and Hoth; why not make a movie (or a series of movies) about a totally different front in the war against the Empire?

It's a tv show called Rebels and it kicks rear end. Plus it has Chopper who is the best Star Wars droid ever.

And yeah Star Wars is kind of Space DnD which is another thing my blog poo poo will get into. Wizards are Jedi and both overrun the setting too much. Technology doesn't really advance for 1000s of years more or less. But Star Wars presumably has better plumbing and more guns. Plus way less Elves.

Star Wars is a setting full of possibilities. The problem is nobody wants to use them. Kind of like how people insist you can do more RPG stuff in Fantasy yet 90% of all campaigns seem to be about Murderhobos getting jobs from a dude in COLORED ANIMAL INN to go to some relatively isolated location and kill all the poo poo in it where you find artifacts laying about that help you go to other locations to kill poo poo that can't be hurt unless you have said artifacts. These new locations have Artifact +2. Some of these locations are ruins others bases full of monsters. Some locations go up, others down.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Be the change you want to see folks! Do not sperg out about sperging on Gundams or Star Wars if it's not your bag! Start talking about other things or try to make it gaming connected as my Star Wars mega post whoring was trying to do. (My Dougram boardgame ones as well.)

It's just some folks took it derailed which is what this thread does. And then the derail is derailed though derail complaining which is more derail. Course THE BULLSHIT PHASE was always the best phase of any 40k games I ever played with people because the game is merely an excuse to shoot the poo poo. It just works better if the game is balanced and fun with cool fun people who aren't being dicknozzles.

And it'll probably be a week or two before my Wotc Star Wars mega post because like last week my days off aren't in a row so I will be discombobulated and no more free Premium Time in MWO for me to work on such a post in between rounds of robot murder and pubbie mocking because I have a deep seated hatred of the Battletech fanbase that is hatey-er than what I have for Bronies and Weeaboos.

(Though my Wotc SW post should have some poorly thought out or written DND fanbase hate. )

My SW Vidya post probably won't be linked because it's got really gently caress all to do with Tradgames unless TIE Fighter and KOTORs count as a SW Hobby Games fix. (They do not though good games . Does Blood Bowl 2 scratch the BB itch? Yeah. Planeswalker games both scratch the Magic itch AND remind me why I don't spend money on RL Magic in spite of it being a good game with a dogshit business model. Some turn based hex games help the Wargame needs. Some would say electronic wargames are why the hex n chit Wargame became an uber niche thing...)

But yes folks. DONT LIKE THING IN THREAD? Don't whine or complain about it! Ignore and post about the stuff tradgames wise you want to talk or shitpost about. It's what this thread is for yo!

(I still want Bandai to make a Chopper model kit though. He is the best goddamned Droid. If Garfield and R2-D2 had a baby it would be Chopper. He is dare I say the Moola of Droids. Although I doubt Moola pushed any gamers out of a spaceship in atmosphere because his game group said the new gamer should join their group full time. )

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Speaking of adorable things well.. I have this board game: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3548/assault-hoth-empire-strikes-back

And I am kinda looking to replace as many of the standees as possible with reasonably priced small scale minis that will reasonably fit in a normal hex n chit wargame hex. (3/4th inch give or take)

Like there has to be some minis that exist even if not exactly LEGAL mind you that are also decent priced? Because what Micromachines exist cost too much for the quality, and I don't have enough of those old Wizkids Pocketmodels to even cover my ATST, ATAT, and Snowspeeder needs right now and it would be a bastard to get more of them outside of buying piles of boosters on ebay and hoping for the best. (I only have like 4 Speeders, and 1 ST. And they require chopping up the bases to reasonably fit in a hex.)

Outside of getting Rebellion or Rebellion parts or old rear end Star Wars Risk (Which is itself too loving expensive! Also loving HELL there are a lot of Star Wars Risks out there.) it seems like a big pain just to make a nifty game prettier.

Cuz parts from Rebellion for just the Speeders, ATs, and the objective power generator is like 34 bucks shipped! Which is a bit more than the game cost me! Only the turbonerds of this thread can help me.

(That or dis enable me by telling me not to even bother and just dehumanize myself and face to 1988 cardboard.)

Vvv I need ground units. ATs. Snow speeders. A couple gun units. Infantry. While I have heard good things I don't need a 100 dollar game to borrow parts to fancy up an originally 20-30 dollar game that also is unlikely to be played. I'm hoping common sense will take hold and I won't buy squat. And just like pay bills faster than I do which is already fast. Vvvvv

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 6, 2017

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

JerryLee posted:

why is that at-at riding on a giant space roomba

I dunno.. It's Sith riding the whip maybe?

The figures were generally too big though for even SW Wotc minis stuff. But right now I am probably just gonna grab a pocket models tin cheap for the rest of my speeders and STs and hope those silly cube game things at Target go on clearance for the small ones that have Hoth. 7.19 for 2 super wee atats and 1 ultra tiny Snowspeeder is too much. For 3 bucks? It'll do pig.

The big double sets are on clearance but not the ones with Hoth. :doom:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Radish posted:

Star Wars board games don't get better than this one.

The best one was the Sarlacc Pit game. You had an actual Sarlacc you could play cards and drop Gamorrean Guards into it. I almost bought one for nostalgia purposes this week but the figures are lovely and childhood loves sometimes should stay memories lest they be tainted. Like watching the original Transformers cartoon. (It's terrible. And not always in a way that is at least amusing.)

But I am still stalking my dreams of wee Hoth stuff for that game. Everything costs too much for what I want it for. Even old rear end Micro Machines. Or a model kit that was full of Hoth Rebels and Snow Troopers.

I will never understand collectors. But I do kind of understand GW now. If I could take advantage of dipshits who will pay 30 bucks for a 1 inch tall unpainted and unassembled model for a bad game and also sell them overpriced tools to build it I probably would too. If I was an actual rear end in a top hat anyhow. (Which I am not though many seem to think I am. Which makes me wonder why I don't just be a dick and have a little fun with it. Oh wait. I can't even play evil in videogame RPGs. I'm that goodie goodie.)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Ilor posted:

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Tell that to Nintendo fans. Nintendo has been GWing it up since the 90s. (Except they usually make some good games in between being dickholes with terrible product launches.). N64-Switch. Don't cry for Zelda fans. They are already gone. :(

(Metroid 2d fans are uh.. WHFB people maybe? Advance Wars is Necromunda perhaps? I'm not sure where the Virtual Boy fits in my wise and mostly correct analogy though.. Dread fleet? )

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Atlas Hugged posted:

I love the Nintendo revisionism some people are so obsessed with, like it's still 1995 and they're wearing their faded SEGA shirt. Unlike GW, Nintendo is fairly transparent and we also have sales data and know roughly what kind of costs go into making a game. We also have a pretty good window into their decision making.

For Metroid the series basically always undersold compared to other Nintendo franchises. Nintendo also only has do much in house talent do it's not unusual for them to farm stuff out. The guys that made Advanced Wars were also the guys behind Fire Emblem. Once Awakenings proved that that franchise had legs, the team was fully dedicated to making more.

If we're extending the analogy what is the Wii and DS/3DS of GW? Surely you're not going to compare CEOs?

Did Iwata ever have a mullet like Ansell's? (3ds I dunno because GW would never drop the price of a thing and give early adopters goodies as an apology. New 3DS is pretty iffy in loving customers over though.)

The Wii is LotR Minis. Did absurd numbers, got new customers, fell on its face long term. (I don't regret buying either however. Wii has the Data East Arcade Collection which is GOOD STUFF. Do I regret freezing my rear end off for a launch Wii? Yes. Do I regret owning one? No.)

I guess Space Hulk v3 is the NES Mini? Fake shortages to increase demand, ends up costing sales of a product that could have sold way more and way better based on nostalgic love. Except the NES Mini doesn't have a nightmare inducing level of over bling on it. God those Terminators are like a nightmare. Faction specific and more goddamnned bling than a bad Mr T parody.

Oh, and both fail to have expand ability even though both loving scream for expansion stuff. SCREAM.

Also White Dwarf and Nintendo Power. Propaganda house rag that from time to time was a loving AMAZING resource especially in the pre Internet age. You know, that thing both companies clearly loathe and wish would go away?

I guess AM2R is the fan made Space Hulk game that got turned into Alien Assault? Except actual real pro made Space Hulk is decent instead of whatever the gently caress Federation Force is.

Switch peripherals are totally GW hobby tools though. Overpriced to the point of being an insult. Except those of you who want the Switch are kinda hosed and have to buy em. Because even if there are 3rd party solutions they probably will either be around the same price for quality ones (Hori), or cheap and god awful. (Everyone else unless ASCII still makes controllers?)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Atlas Hugged posted:

This just seems like internet warrior whining to me. The Joycons are expensive, but they are two functioning controllers with a bunch of features built in. It's not like the XBONE doesn't also have expensive controller options. I can't fathom why you'd need a second dock. It's not like people regularly switch what TV their PS4 is hooked into, though I guess Sony does give you the option of streaming if you have a Vita or an expensive smartphone. The pro controller is probably the only one that is legitimately overpriced.

And a lot of this is moot if the idea is that you and your friends each have a Switch in the same that each of your friends each have a 3DS. But at least the Switch has 2 player functionality right out of the box.

I think you are taking it all a little too serious and personal dude. It's mostly joking with truth on the side, you know, what the Death Thread is all about.

But like anyone is gonna get a Switch at launch besides scalpers so lol on friend stuff. It's gonna be the NES Mini 2/Wii in that regard. No GW analogy I can think of though. Games Day LE things that are actually LE like that Crimson Fist mini or the Rogue Trader reprint maybe?

Still not sure where I can fit Fire Emblem waifu touching in though. Or Sisters of Battle, Brettonians, or Tomb Kings. Gimme a while I am sure I can figure something stupid out!

Hmm.. Is Heroquest/Space Crusade akin to Earthbound only with slightly less of an insane fan cult wanting a rerelease? (Also I want the Leading Edge Aliens boardgame brought back if we want old rear end board games reprinted. And maybe WEG's Attack on Hoth that I am spending a good 30 dollars to give miniatures to make it pretty. I have my STs and Snowspeeders already, and some of those cheap block battle thingies will give me my ATATs and Rebel Turret defenses meaning only infantry will be card standees. I suppose I COULD use some of those pocket model card figure Tauntauns and Imp Speeders as Heavy Infantry to at least make some of them fancy....)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Hra Mormo posted:

Huh, all this time I've lived under the misconception that Prime was Rare's swansong before one of the most celebrated developers of an era began to suck hard.

Rare is also a lot like GW in being from the UK and not actually that good. Just the fans hadn't seen actual good things yet like computer FPSes or games that weren't Spectrum abusefests and didn't know any better. Just like GW games because actual good wargames were still mostly cardboard chit at the time!

:v:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
What has my stupid joke with a dollop of truth wrought?

:doom: GODDAMNIT QUIT SPERGING OVER A STUPID JOKE ABOUT ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY SIMILARITIES! :doom:

I mean I am right about it but, it's still just a stupid joke that shouldn't matter not cause this derail.

Now Sanctus Reach is getting a computer game on the 19th which is like almost today depending on time zone. We should be talking about if it's good or poo poo or not. It's by Slitherine so you can actually buy a physical copy if you are a collecting dumbs hit like me who still wants their Ork Armageddon Standalone game and who just bought Vermintide on the PS4 for 20 bucks to have a physical standalone copy of a game mostly designed for online play I won't do because lol at giving console companies money to play games online when we have the internet as a whole for people to yell racist, homophobic, misogynistic, and anti Semitic slurs at us. FOR FREE.

So I have kinda given GW money but only indirectly and for games that can be fun. I even have the NGage 40k game. And completed it. It uses actual 3.5 40k rules and you can play a 1500 point game in the time it takes to poop. (If you turn animation cutscenes off.)

Space Crusade on the Amiga is still best GW to electronic port though. It just needs more chapters to play. Imperial Fists, Blood Angels, and Ultramarines? Blah. Crimson Fists, Salamanders, and White Panthers dammit! (Legion of the Damned and Charcaradons can be expansion pack!)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
https://youtu.be/HKoEH2R9z90

I think we all know why Moola really doesn't give GW money. He Patreoned the first minute of this. There is no other explanation.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

TheChirurgeon posted:

So does Gundam Wing also fall into that group? because it feels like it should

Gundam Wing is boyband Sailor Moon with OP robots. I built a little Bearguy a few weeks back. The Panda. He is good but I haven't decaled or inked him yet. And now I want more of them so I can make Slasher Movie BEARGUYS. See the Panda has black eyes and without the stickers it just says MICHAEL MYERS. So now I want a small and adorable army of robot murder bears. I just need to find plug compatible machetes, butcher knives, and a gas mask because My Bloody Valentine was cool.

(A retrogame shop chain carries Gunpla. I traded in some boxed Game Boy Pokeymans and got some Gundams and Atari 8 bit computer games and a couple Win 9x games. I kinda want to go back because they have an old SSI game boxed called Broadsides and they are carrying English language ps4 Singapore release games like Super Robot Wars, Gundam Breaker, and Wild Guns. So I have more games to not play because Bloodborne is truth.)

Edit:
Also SA does have a Gunpla thread that is quite active even if Broken Loose had a sperg fit over a Gundam show line a few days back. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3678195&perpage=40&pagenumber=408#pti6
Since some of you are upset over model kits that are fun to build and aren't covered in more idiotic bling than a bad Mr. T parody.

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jan 26, 2017

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Bombogenesis posted:

There are no robots I am sorry.

It gets worse.

Is this even from one of the cartoons/manga or are they just making random insane poo poo at this point?

It's the Dendrobium from 0083. It's basically a giant rear end booster for a Gundam and in the Super Robot Wars games is practically a mainstay for easy mode in any installment it appears. Kit wise it and this newer one called the Neo Zeong are like prestige kits for nutso people. But only like 200 bucks ish as opposed to Forge World Titan prices. The Gunpla thread I linked a few pages back has a Zoids kit in a similar size. The box is so huge a small dog can comfortably make a fort out of it. :3:

And Gundam is anime so yes it's got random and insane poo poo in it. Also some Gundam does better grimdark than 40k. Though a recent series has a plot point being there were a class of people who were basically used as food if you want some hosed up poo poo. Like there are real life caste system poo poo that ruins people's lives and chances for generations in Japan and India amongst others. They basically made an analog in the show but gave it a side order of cannibalism. :psyduck:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Eandr posted:

I'm all-in on 3e and actually really enjoy it (I know that's an Unpopular Opinion in this thread), but hopefully there will be some good fluff supplements. Or more stuff for Elves that can be worked back into 3e!

I don't have any experience with Cubicle 7, so no idea what to expect ruleswise.

Their Doctor Who game is in the story game side of things but WFRP may not be. Given how especially in the UK the 1st ed was a holy sacred cow and all.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

NTRabbit posted:

Vyper uses the ring mount like the Wave Serpent, while War Walkers and HWPs use the slot mount. Seems pretty stupid when the weapons are otherwise all the same.

lol never. Aspects are gonna get squatted, just you watch.

The cries of the Dire Avenger spammers will feed me as I watch more and more of 40K die in the fires that seem to be coming out of Mr. Goatsce's rear end. Its that kind of fire. Not even a car or dumpster. The Goatman's gaping rear end in a top hat. That is where the fires of GW are at. Like its loving Trump Administration levels. Only you know, its nerd games and doesn't really loving matter to anyone no matter what they actually think. Kinda like Sports if you don't work in that industry.

(I only have 1 DA squad and I havent loving played 40K at all since 5th ed so gently caress it. Ruin it all GW. Destroy a game I once called THE GAME I LOVE. DO IT BITCHES. BURN IT ALL. Ill watch the fanboys come up with new and hilarious excuses of why your latest stupid thing is in fact good and not bugfuck stupid. I mean Yall already made CSM and Nids rear end. I was lucky enough to get rid of Tau and Orks when I saw the writings on the wall. My IG are mostly AT43 figures which is a better game on its worst day than 40K has been in years...)

Course I have been griping about stupid new poo poo since 3rd edition appeared that JUST DOESNT BELONG IN 40K MAAAAAN so I might be in the wrong about all the idiotic poo poo and ever expanding size of games. Id play the gently caress out of a revamped Final Liberation though. That was extremely my poo poo. Even without an Ork campaign. Though Armageddon eventually released one because who doesn't want to play as someone other than Imperials in these games?. Because Slitherine knows what I want.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Moola posted:

I... I think I love gundams???

Somewhere Boom3 just got a massive boner and doesn't know why.

(And it doesn't involve a cartoon character that's more than likely underaged because ANIME. :doom: )

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Avenging Dentist posted:

What's weird is how everyone's excited that the game isn't a complete farce now. Like yeah, it's not the worst, but it's still bad.

Once a games company gets to a certain level of size and popularity they can gently caress up and still have fans. This is why I continue to grieve for Arcane Legions and AT 43. They didn't hit that critical mass before game/company fuckups hit em.

Sadly GW did and can thus do stupid rear end poo poo and generally get away with it. Though Spartan Games is also somehow able to gently caress up and get away with it so maybe it's just part of the Trumpy world of poo poo we live in.

:smith: Uncharted Seas :smith:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I may do a bad thing next week and play Kill Team. Am I sinning against all that is good in this world?

(Just kidding the world is a gently caress and ain't nothing good except coffee and Bloodborne,)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Enentol posted:

Our hobby nights have gone from single game of 40k to three games of Bolt Action. :mil101:

Tanks! can go pretty quick too. But sadly as I said last page WORLD IS A gently caress and the game of Tanks! I was to play tomorrow has been cancelled due to a blizzard. :doom:
I can't even get in a loving game when there are people who want to game! On the upside I found a nice warm ballcap with those ear flappy things for 9 bucks to keep my ears warm when I shovel my driveway to hell tomorrow. And a Tee Shirt that is Atari Vector Coin Op Star Wars which is the best arcade game EVER. The shirt cost as much as a Wang except the game shops had no new Wangs meaning no Sabine TIE to buy for my ever increasing collection of TIE variants I never get to use.

PS: this is the length of my driveway with me taking the photo right in front of my car. Yeah. Imagine shoveling a foot high of this.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
So I might actually be playing 40K Kill Team this wed because I am that goddamned desperate to play some games. Anyone have advice for making a good Eldar force? (Besides not playing. Don't worry I have found.. resources to at least try it without giving GW money. Even if I do kinda want Lost Patrol or that set with the Harlequins in it, the latter for 2nd ed 40K play.)

Like I am debating Rangers n Guardians, or doing something with Warp Spiders or Guardian Jetbikers or maybe Dire Avengers or even go stupid small with Wraithguard. I mean I could probably make like 5 different forces because if I am gonna drive an hour just to play SOMETHING I might as well get my time and gas money's worth!

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Thirsty Dog posted:

Actual Kill Team or HoR?

I don't know poo poo about either of them, it's just where this question always leads so I thought I'd save you some time.

Actual. I have done some research and Moola's classic video is right. Even 6e Eldar Dex is loving broken poo poo. They made Shuriken Cs complete evil. Like Gav Thorpe HAD to be a 2e Eldar player mad at nerfs. I mean Catapults alone are murderous!

A 200 point kill team could just be like 19 Guardians and a Scatter Laser and poo poo will just DIE. S4 Assault 2 AP5 6s to hit are AP2 WTF that is hilarious.

Bladestorm: Making post 2nd ed Eldar smug after 15 years of corn holing.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

i have vague terrible memories of shitloads of star cannons mowing down my black templars from 3 ed days

The old Eldar bs required you to buy more poo poo as is GW's wont. The 6-7 books just make everything stupid awesome.

Kind of how SoBs could own face but only in a handful of builds creating the 40k equivalent of a Pkunk armada from Star Control 2, or Nids with similar BUY THIS MODEL OR DONT loving BOTHER TO PLAY ANYMORE.

And if you are a cheap poo poo like me you don't want to buy new stuff. Bad enough you need to drop 15, then 25, then 33, now 50-100 on new Codexes and then buy tons of more models.

Another reason they need to just loving start over. Go to D10s since we have a 1-10 stat line anyhow. Maybe combine armor and toughness, S and AP and cut a roll or two out, use the whole number value and rebuild the bloody game.

poo poo, just use the old SPACE CRUSADE red and white dice system and I'd be happy because I loved that game. Maybe make a black die for the super heavy poo poo and get poo poo done. gently caress, at this point Titan Legions Epic might as well just become 40k's ruleset.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=FHM10162&mode=retail I have found Moola's new favorite toy.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
The first Iron Man movie was good. I liked both Hulk films though the first needed to end 15 minutes or so early. Avengers was done by Joss Whedon so I avoided it because he sucks rear end.

Also the core story of the SW Prequels is good. It's just the direction and the little things fail it completely. But only the 2 nd of the 3 is unrecoverable rear end. Unless you just start it at the Geonosis Arena and cut out most of the 3PO bits.

Oh, and I played 40k Kill Team yesterday and had a good time. My Eldar got rocked but it was more a bit of bad luck with the dice. Night Lord Raptors in a Night mission are a tough nut to crack for Howling Banshees and Warp Spiders. -2 Ld Check or you fight at 1 WS in CC? Ffffff! My other build of Fire Dragons and a Vyper might have dominated. Or my Guardian and Ranger build. ALL THE BULLETS WTF BLADESTORM HOLY poo poo GUARDIANS ARE BS4 GAV THORPE MUST HAVE AN ELDAR HUMPING PILLOW THERE IS NO OTHER EXPLANATION FOR THIS.

I'll probably go back and play next week too even if it is an hour drive each way. Plus like 10 minutes at this one exit because Providence RI wants everyone to suffer. Or just give up and go to the big assfuck mall there. :argh:

If it helps any I'm going to play Tanks! now after I shower and buy my comic books.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I have Mantic Marauders to possibly use in 2nd ed 40k as Orks to do that Rogue Trader Astronomican campaign. I am stupid though when it comes to dorky things when I have a bright idea. But poo poo why not try a new game with your existing stuff? Are people that afraid of finding a new game they might love?

Oh wait. The DnD audience proved the answer is so loving NO on that it's absurd. :smith:

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I mostly want the old Koei kingdom/war games. Problem is the ones I want most are like 30-40 dollar games complete on the Genesis. ( Liberty or Death and Genghis Khan 2. The only one I own is a now manualless Romance of the Three Kingdoms on the Amiga and L Empereur on the NES. Course I just got Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe last week so the games I want eventually get into my hands legally it just sometimes takes a while...)

I prefer my 4x type games to mostly be quality turn based combat with a kingdom sim wrapper though. Which is why Master of Orion 2 is still the best loving game in the genre.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Chill la Chill posted:

It's a great spell to cast when your hot dice go cold in the middle of the match.

As a casino dealer with a heavy dose of realism this statement angers me because people believe this stuff and aren't just mocking it as you are. It's random goddamnit. And in most cases even biases for say dealer roulette spins, wheel balance, dice throwing are so low as to be effectively negligible except maaybe for playing the long game and doing 12-30 hour runs at whatever game. (People do but in most cases it's because their brains are broken and not because they are doing some MIT poo poo that puts the odds slightly in their favor.)

In hobby games the worst is when people refuse electronic dice rollers. If you are doing an Ork Mob charge I am pretty sure you want to use Mach Dice or something. Have it record all the result totals n poo poo. (Normally it's faster to roll physical but in some buckets of dice situations it's not. The apps aren't cheating.)

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

kingcom posted:

Also don't casinos regularly throw out their dice just in case any of that poo poo starts put some kind of bias into the random rolls. They're machine shaven anyway but from what I understand that still means decks of cards and dice are regularly thrown out just to make sure (speaking of if you're a casino dealer how do I get my hands on old/used casino dice cause goddamn that poo poo is way more expensive than buying new, assuming they dont scrap them to make sure nobody brings them in later).

At mine you don't. They throw them out or something. However some casinos sell souvenir dice that are casino quality but not ones you would see at the table. A friend of mine who was in surveillance did some event in Vegas and brought us back some sets. I use them for Warmachine since you don't need lots of dice in it and they are large and visible unlike many shitass dice sets GW and PP have created which suck a fat dick for readability.

And on any games where the player touches the cards? We switch them out every 4 hours. Because players mangle the things for various reasons most of which are superstition based. Or because they see poker playing morons on tv. Poker players are the goddamned WORST PEOPLE. (Unsurprisingly many big shots have come over from Magic. Because Texas Holdem needs more dickheads I guess.)

And remember I said there CAN be biases. But it's usually a stupidly small amount that is effectively negligible as casinos have been doing this for years and whenever a thing takes the odds out of the house's favor is discovered it gets fixed for some reason. poo poo, people even learned how to throw Craps dice nearly perfectly. It got discovered eventually. Making the 100s of hours of practice go out the window.

But on dice rollers: if you want to use one and it won't slow the game down rock on... BUT! Always allow your opponent to use the app or roller as well. It removes all cheating doubt that way. You should probably only use it for things like Ork Mob charges and the like. Or as a backup if you forget your dice for DnD or something. Probably not any sort of tourney type game. But for those I would recommend a dice tower or dice tray and cup so as to remove knocking poo poo over and having cocked dice. It speeds up play not to have to dig poo poo out or deal with a die resting oddly on terrain or a map fold or knocking over that big stack of Russian Conscripts.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
We have all the poo poo from cyberpunk dystopias but no cool Elf cyberdeckers or hot chicks in powered armor fighting evil corporate not Terminators. Basically we just got the bad parts of cyberpunk and none of the cool poo poo.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I have sinned against the thread: http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2017/03/warhammer-40k-kill-team.html :fail:

That's right I have been so desperate to do some hobby gaming I have now played 40K (Kill Team) TWO WEEKS IN A ROW AND AM GOING BACK FOR A THIRD NEXT WEEK.
(Where I am also giving the store money for a GW product. At 25% off but I am buying the Cheeseworld Eldar Codex. I have shared Moola's reaction video to that book with them. They were vaguely amused.)

Its almost like Kill Team is close to something good from the Workshop. Close. Other minis games are probably superior but any port in a storm dontchaknow. Also I still have my armies and it might lead to getting some to try out 2nd ed or maybe Warpath Firefight or something in the future. Yeah probably not. But I choose to live like a windrammer as I gently caress and will at least dare to dream, just a little bit. I mean we lost Private Hudson. THE WORLD OWES ME GODDAMNIT.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Fire Dragons in Kill Team are pro tier against MEQs. This is a public service announcement.

Also apparently Privateer Press is killing the Press Ganger program. It's like they have decided to make GW level mistakes now for some un fathomable reason. :(

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Skinty McEdger posted:

Highlights of the 40k thread right now are SG showing up to tell them it will all end in tears and Greenmarine posting to confirm he closed the AOS thread because it wasn't enough of a hug box.

Has anyone asked him what it's like to be a little bitch? Because that's being a little bitch.
Speaking of bitches Custodes getting a boxed set with a Land Raider, Dreadnought, 10+ dudes and I think a Rhino Chassis. None of them are in Jojos Mode though. No idea of the price and it's Custodes so IDGAF really. I kind of want the new Warpath starters though. So many Space Dorfs. Problem is it comes with Enforcers as well and I don't need less bulky Space Marines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Sir Teabag posted:

Some of us are fine with the size of our marines. It's all about how you use them. Tactically you see.

I have RTB01 plastics in my armies. Idgaf how much scale creep GW does. Imma using my old stuff for as long as I play with plastic spacemans.

• Locked thread