Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
I'd almost give that model a pass if it were cast in clear plastic so you could do a neat translucent effect on the blue jizz but they didn't so instead I will remark on how lazy the pose is.

The pose is very lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I actually don't think he'd be that bad to transport compared to some of the GW stuff out there (and even my beloved Dark Age has some stuff that would be a pain). You'd probably want to magnetize the sword though. The biggest issue is that it just looks bad.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Drone posted:

Wait, did they actually combine Eldar and Dark Eldar into one army now?

Based on the unbelievably-poo poo video about it, I would guess yes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AvuYAOJi8M

I had to look up what the gently caress an Ynnead was though. (The other models are ok-to-good though.)

e: Also I just realized that this means Slaanesh is gonna be dead/captured/whatever in both AoS and Age of Emperor.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jan 22, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Nah I kinda like that one but it feels like they gave up halfway on her stupid cat. The other guy is dorky but compared to the rest of the Eldar range, he's positively stellar (not that this takes much effort).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The Eldar aesthetic is bad though. What's-her-face looks like a Malifaux knock-off, which is a definite step up. We're talking about a range with models like these:

Nothing of value will be lost. (I like the Dire Avengers though.)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

NTRabbit posted:

Might as well gently caress off from calling them Eldar and label them as a new army, because they've got nothing in common.

You mean like... Aeldari? :haw:

If GW actually manages to burn down 40k and replace it with something good, then more power to them. I never much cared that they got rid of Brets or Tomb Kings or any of that; I thought AoS was bad purely on its own (lack of) merits. Even if, by some cosmic force, GW deleted Space Marines and Necrons (the armies I had) entirely, I would consider buying their poo poo if they bothered to make it any good (i.e. good miniatures, rules, pricing, community support, etc). They won't do that though so I am safe.

I couldn't give less of a poo poo about them taking a visual style that's been stale for decades and changing it up. It'd be like getting mad at the Star Wars prequels simply because it didn't have TIE Fighters.

Granted, this is in no small part because I haven't taken my 40k figures out of storage in almost a decade as that's around the point where I realized I didn't enjoy any of it.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

That guy's gun looks like it has a spot for the magazine because he's literally reloading the magazine.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Maybe it's a real gun and the "bow" is just a tacticool accessory??

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Isn't that more because no one actually plays Eldar though? :angel:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

No guys you see this one robot that looks exactly the same as this other robot is actually very different.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Which is the right move since posing your little guy during a battle is dumb. (Why GW models are so expensive by comparison is, of course, inexcusable.)

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I think his point is "I don't like how the robits look."

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

"GW is bad" does not imply "Bandai is good" though.

For what it's worth I kinda like the Geirail because he reminds me of Bastion from Overwatch though.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Oh god I'm tipping. I'm tipping oveerrrrrrrrrrr
                                                                                /

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

TTerrible posted:

haha what the gently caress is that?

New Tzeentch model: https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Tzeentch-Arcanites-Magister

It's slightly less ridiculous from a better angle but I love how they chose that for their glamor shot.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Well that explains why he's "only" $15.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

The sad part is that they already have a Robot Guillotine model and he's pretty ok:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

It's sad because they paid someone for something worse when they already had something pretty good.

Like I'd play Warhammer 40k anyway.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Today I found a hurt bunny that someone left in a shoebox:

It's too late to take it to the wildlife center so he's sitting in a dark, quiet corner of my apartment for the night. I know it's not a(n) (o)possum, but goddammit it's close enough.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

/!\ Rabbit Update /!\

The bunny is safely at a wildlife shelter, but he still seems pretty out of it. I was thinking he might have a head injury. Hopefully he'll get better!

Here is the bunny inside 3 boxes because I didn't want to risk taking him out of the original box:

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

DO IT TO IT posted:

:ohdear: Don't toy with my emotions like this.

We got a little card with the case number and they said they'll keep us up-to-date. Luckily, he didn't appear to have any external injuries, but it's obviously really hard to figure out what's going on with wild animals with a cursory glance.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Yeah, Dark Age (same team as WoK) is doing new 2017 rules. If I bring my 2013 book - which I got for free with a starter force - to Gen Con, they'll swap it with the new one, also for free. (I'll probably just buy the new one cuz I like old rulebooks.) On top of that, the PDF will be 100% free.

But apparently charging people a mere $30 or so a year is good customer service.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

What's weird is how everyone's excited that the game isn't a complete farce now. Like yeah, it's not the worst, but it's still bad.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I mean I might be willing to pay for the rules if they were any good.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Exodite players have it good; at least they don't have to play a terrible game!!

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I was assuming that any Exodite players at this point are aspirational gamers.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Run a steel pin through the ankle? It's a major pain, but totally doable. I've had to run pins through a few models' ankles before; just the price I pay for buying models because they look good.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

If you're in need of tiny pins, you can't do much better than guitar strings (preferably the non-wrapped kind, usually the G, B, and E strings). They're spring steel, which is flexible but retains its shape very well. It's a lot stronger than brass, which is the usual material for pinning.

Hell, I've pinned stuff with an .009 string (that's in inches, or about 1/128").

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Pinning is easy dawg. Sorry for your lots, etc etc

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

For serious though I used to dislike pinning, but it's because I hadn't worked much with metal mans, so I was a total newbie at it. After building a half-dozen models, it became second nature and now pinning a complex metal mini is about the same to me as assembling a plastic Malifaux figure.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

same but the entire assembly process

Agreed, I'm stressin about actually starting to paint my little guys again.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Pinning is pretty easy. You're almost certainly doing it wrong.

Here are some tips:

1) Mark where the hole should go with the tip of your hobby knife (put it where you want and spin it around).
2) Start with a smaller drill bit than you need in case you got the position wrong; if you did, you can use your knife to widen the hole a bit to realign it.
3) To line up the second hole, paint a circle around the first hole (go pretty heavy on the paint) and dry-fit the pieces. Then just drill where the paint tells you to.
4) You can use a smaller pin than you plan to use in the end to test out the alignment, since it'll have a little more wiggle room.
5) If all else fails, just make the holes bigger than you need to and use a combination of superglue and your favorite filler (epoxy putty, talcum powder, etc) to fill in the extra space.
6) Bonus tip: figure out how deep you can drill into the model, then have your drill bit stick out from the pin vice only that far so you don't accidentally drill all the way through your little guy.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Feb 15, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Just to be clear, Styrene plastic is king, but metal is far better than restic. If you have never had to work with restic, count yourself lucky.

Oh poo poo you said my powerword. Restic's not really a thing; I'm not sure if it's a marketing term or one people came up with to describe the particular formulation used by Privateer and Mantic, but it's ultimately just a rigid PVC. Heck, even Bones are PVC; they're just a flexible kind. But I do agree that polystyrene is probably the best material for the end-user, although the tooling costs are pretty prohibitive. I don't think metal (or even resin) is a bad material though, provided the sculptor is cognizant of the material's limitations. For me, it just took some getting used to, since the skillset for working with polystyrene is pretty different.

If we're being really technical, all of this poo poo (metal aside) is just resin, since as I understand it, plastic is essentially just a class of synthetic resin.

Leperflesh posted:

Creating a thin-walled tube out of some dude's wrist or ankle usually isn't going to work out well. There are some cases where you simply cannot pin, there's not enough thickness.

The minimum size for pinning is smaller than a lot of people would think. I've pinned poo poo whose contact surface is less than .25mm2, like this guy (he's about 35mm tall):

I put a single pin all the way through his head to mount both pieces of his little "crown". The only time I really struggle with pinning is when there's not much depth to run a pin (e.g. a cape/loincloth).

e: If there's one actual problem I have with metal (and resin to a lesser degree), it's that the production methods (sculpting and casting) are a bit less precise than styrene, which makes any 3-point join a lot harder to fit.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 15, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

We might be talking about different bits because that ankle looks easy to pin (I did a very similar pin job on my Dark Age Kaachika). I'm talking about running a pin through the highlighted bits in this image:

I used a guitar string to pin that (somewhere around .009"; I forget the exact gauge I used).

e: To be fair, one challenge with pinning ankles sometimes is that you have to choose between cutting the ankle in half or running a pin all the way in from the surface and sanding down the pin so it's flush. And sanding spring steel is pretty hard, especially when you're trying to avoid shredding the much-softer pewter!

e2: Also bear in mind I'm an obsessive who uses fine grade steel wool on flat areas of pewter models to get a smoother finish, so I may be more into the hobby side than a lot of wargamers.

Avenging Dentist fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Feb 15, 2017

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

For sure, a lot of the "pinning kits" hobby companies sell are woefully unsuited for the job of pinning anything with smaller pieces than a Space Marine. With proper materials though, it's totally manageable to pin tiny pieces. Once I got the right stuff and had some practice, it turned from a job I dread to one I actually kind of enjoy.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I use the same old crapass GW pin vice I've had since I was like 14, but I bought a set of new drill bits.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

That's pretty much Frostgrave (which has problems).

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

As with most fashion choices, you can pull it off if you already look good. Although I wouldn't really recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

You know what else was a bad movie? Dr Strange.

• Locked thread