Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Worst (that I actually watched):
Kumamiko - it takes a village to abuse a child miko. I watched this to the bitter end, hoping the poor girl would finally snap and slay them all in bloody sacrifice to the stinkin' mountain gods, but no.

Bakuon!! - I like shows that use school clubs as an excuse for the characters to interact, but if the actual club activity is going to be the focus, I'd better be interested in the activity. I don't care about motorcycles (nothing against them, just not my thing), so as it quickly became obvious the cycles were going to be the stars of the show -- especially as one of them started talking -- I just bailed early on this one.

Taboo Tattoo - If I get four episodes into a show, I almost always watch to the end just to never have to wonder how it ended. I got to about episode five with this one, and simply forgot to ever bother to watch it anymore. (probably a desperate self-defense measure on the part of my brain)

Avoided:
Magical Girl Raising Project - I like magical girl shows in general, and the recent trend of making shows to "deconstruct the genre" (also known as 'poo poo all over it') via horrible deaths, soul rapes, etc. really rather annoys me. So I just avoid them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Voting for Worst Anime of 2016 is over!

While it looked like Izetta: The Last Witch had a lock on 1st place, THREE other shows caught up making it a four-way battle...

1st: Kumamiko (20 votes)

2nd: Dimension W (18 votes)

T-3rd: Berserk (16 votes)

T-3rd: Izetta: The Last Witch (16 votes)

As for Most Avoided...there's a tie! It looked like Berserk would run away with the title, but Magical Girl Raising Project, while low on the Worst Vote, gained quite the notoriety based on concept and word-of-mouth alone!

edit: updated to include the end of the alphabet!

Spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13_ubi-cfjVy_IHue1eKA5TZhzO7AtbxxMUR60r7ju-4

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 8, 2017

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

But anaconda, what happens if you count most avoided as additional votes in the main category?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
What happened to all the avoid votes for yuri on ice?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Zwiebel posted:

Kumamiko
Weird show about a country bumpkin that dreams of the big city and she has a sassy bear friend. This sounds great, but the show turns up the creep factor and exploitation way too much.
Apparently had an anime original ending that made the manga fans (and the author?) really mad due to communicating the opposite message of the actual premise: Don't try to overcome your beginnings or your insecurities and just rot away in your podunk town forever. Kind of a baffling decision.
The ED is loving great though.

I get your point, and I agree that it wasn't handled well, but I don't think a message of "Maybe some people aren't suited to city life" and "If you find a place where you truly belong, maybe you should stay there" is necessarily out of line. Don't get me wrong, the show was VERY mean, and tried to be doing its damnedest to prove the point that Machi wasn't going to be able to deal with modern city life in the most "comedically" humiliating ways possible.

The ending was pretty much unforgivable. Machi's brain goes haywire, and the two adults in Machi's life go on a light-hearted date with one another, 2 minutes after the cousin goes on a big long rant about "The village means everything, and is dying. If I have to sacrifice Machi to save it, then sacrifice her I will" and the adult female was briefly horrified.

But, yeah, the village was going to lose one of its only adolescents and the bear was going to lose his only friend, and they all went way over the line trying to prevent such from happening to secure the place that they loved for another generation. I don't think that their excesses were meant to be portrayed as a good thing.

The "good end" that I was hoping for was Machi becoming more functional but deciding to stay in the village anyway.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

For some reason acondana seems to have missed all 2 of the votes for Yuri on ice. That puts it as t-6th

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Namtab posted:

For some reason acondana seems to have missed all 2 of the votes for Yuri on ice. That puts it as t-6th

omg the formulas didn't copy to the bottom of the new raw daya LOL mb!

Yuri on Ice got 3 avoided votes, so it's T-4th

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Namtab posted:

But anaconda, what happens if you count most avoided as additional votes in the main category?

I did this (Columns I and J), but at the last minute the results shaped out to be about the same, with Kumamiko on top. While voting was going on it used to have Berserk with a commanding lead.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

omg the formulas didn't copy to the bottom of the new raw daya LOL mb!

Yuri on Ice got 3 avoided votes, so it's T-4th

I saw dogsicle and mugticket and ignored that guy on page 1

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

One could say I avoided his vote

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

dogsicle audit:

dogsicle posted:

1. Cheer Boys!!

2. DAYS

3. Dagashi Kashi

Avoided:
First Love Monster

Yuri on Ice audit:

Mugticket posted:

I avoided Yuri!! on ice

DisDisDis posted:

Avoided Yuri on Ice

Kibibit posted:

Most Avoided: Yuri on Ice

matches my RawData set!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Strange Quark posted:

put in the trash, where they belong

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Kytrarewn posted:

I get your point, and I agree that it wasn't handled well, but I don't think a message of "Maybe some people aren't suited to city life" and "If you find a place where you truly belong, maybe you should stay there" is necessarily out of line. Don't get me wrong, the show was VERY mean, and tried to be doing its damnedest to prove the point that Machi wasn't going to be able to deal with modern city life in the most "comedically" humiliating ways possible.

Yeah, that's a fair assessment.
It is kind of amazing how tone deaf and utterly lacking in self-awareness the anime ending turned out to be with how everyone around Macchi basically manipulates her and keeps her as a dysfunctional human being. And that in a show that presents itself as kind of a saccharine joyous little feel good slice of life.

But even without the ending, I guess it seems like people generally agree that it was creepy mean-spirited crap.
There's probably worse poo poo out there, but I guess plenty of goons watched it, putting it on top of this list.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So how many shows on the Worst list also ended up on the Best list, and what were their respective rankings?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Rangpur posted:

So how many shows on the Worst list also ended up on the Best list, and what were their respective rankings?

In the top ten lists, Re:Zero was the only duplicate, coming in at #6 on both.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Grimgar shoots up on the "no normies" list for best anim

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Space Flower posted:

Grimgar shoots up on the "no normies" list for best anim

cant believe normies are right

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.
poo poo I missed the voting. I'm surprised for the lack of hate for Taboo Tattoo. It was one of the most disappointing shows of the year. The first episode was decent, featuring some pretty good action/martial arts scenes. I can't believe I finished this show because it became so, so terrible. The last episode was particularly awful, featuring giant magic mechs out of nowhere combined with awful rock music and a terrible fight sequence with the mechs using the same footage on loop.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Berserk is still the worst anime of the year, vote be damned.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Berserk is still the worst anime of the year, vote be damned.

The animation and directing was bad, but I can see the appeal of the arc. It's right where it deserves to be after seeing harder complaints about the others.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I forgot to post my vote during the period but imma do it anyways!!!

Avoided - re; zero.

I avoided it based on the premise, but was drawn in but the cute anime maids. It was actually ok even if I don't like loser shutins as protagonists typically.

Worst - Can I put Danganronpa 3 down three times because it was technically three series? Because god i hate that show. It's probably the worst anime I've actually watched all the way through.

I'll start with the good: It had nice music.

Beyond that it somehow managed to fail on every level imaginable. The first thing is that it didn't include any of the things that made Danganronpa actually interesting. There was little mystery and half the characters got no development. Was I supposed to feel bad when people died in side future? Because I kinda didn't since they weren't exactly characters.

Not only was the show bad on it's own, it actually went back and retconned interesting elements of Danganronpa 2 to make it worse in retrospect. The show completely removed all agency from the cast of Danganronpa 2. Instead of being flawed and emotionally unstable teenagers basically getting pulled into a cult by a charismatic monster they were brainwashed into doing everything. Oh, okay, I guess that means they don't have anything to repent for then. That's a relief, I was almost getting invested for a bit there.

More specifically I want to go into the character of Hinata. Danganronpa 1 was a story that featured Naegi, but Danganronpa 2 was a story that pretty heavily focused on Hinata as a character. He was a deluded sycophant with way more money than common sense who paid his way into being in the cool kid's club because he wasn't special enough to be on his own, then threw away his self so that he could be more like the objects of his devotion. The way his character changed over the course of DR2, how he got self respect and grew as a person, was tested in the end when he was forced to choose between throwing himself away again, except this time it was a heroic sacrifice.

Then in Danganronpa 3 he was an average guy who did it because of ~love~. Oh. Okay then. Chiaki having been an actual person, the Chiaki AI having been made by Hinata, pretty much every moment Junko or Yukizome was on screen... Why? What was the reasoning behind that instead of actually expanding on the cast of the game and how they ended up becoming the people that they did? My only guess is that it seemed like that would be hard to write, but then why even make it at all and not just an anime of DR2 or something?

The Future side was also a spectacular exercise in wasted potential. Practically all the new characters died while none of the old ones did, not that many of the new characters really had anything to them. The show builds up the idea of it being the final confrontation between the concepts of hope and despair as Danganronpa defines them but welp, not really. It actually turns out the show isn't really about much of anything after all. A bunch of vaguely connected events happen and then the show ends with Naegi re-opening the school that the series spent half of it's runtime explaining was a bad idea from it's very conception. Apparently all the bad guys just gave up and went home too. Cool, go team.

It's really staggering just how bad it was, to the point I half believe the idea it was made to spite the exceptionally terrible fanbase DR has.. Anecdotal evidence and all that, but I haven't talked to anyone who actually liked it.

i'm aware this post is :spergin: as h*ck but man; I hate that show.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3804660

peep this thread

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I peeped it, then I pooped it

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
wow rude

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

2016 was a pretty good year for anime, imo. Only one that I watched would I consider bad:

Re:Zero. It's a harem anime, with an interesting world that kept me watching far longer than I had any reason to. I can look past bad female characters if the rest of the show is worth it, but honestly, it wasn't at all. The character designs are all pretty much fetish trope (slutty big boobed vampiress, little flat chick, pure elf chick, cute maid twins, etc...), and the action scenes all a bit bland. The episodes where they fight the white whale were surprisingly underwhelming. There were some flashes of brilliance, but they were quickly suppressed by the moe overload.

Most Avoided: Berserk (2016). I kept reading the thread hoping it'd get better, but it appeared it only got worse. Hopefully the Musou game will be good to make up for it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

She's actually an half elf
:goonsay:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

AfricanBootyShine posted:

2016 was a pretty good year for anime, imo. Only one that I watched would I consider bad:

Re:Zero. It's a harem anime, with an interesting world that kept me watching far longer than I had any reason to. I can look past bad female characters if the rest of the show is worth it, but honestly, it wasn't at all. The character designs are all pretty much fetish trope (slutty big boobed vampiress, little flat chick, pure elf chick, cute maid twins, etc...), and the action scenes all a bit bland. The episodes where they fight the white whale were surprisingly underwhelming. There were some flashes of brilliance, but they were quickly suppressed by the moe overload.

I didn't watch too much of it but wasn't it just two of them that were intereted in the main character?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

yeah it's a love triangle, not a harem

there is a third chick who very late in the anime says "i am not interested in you romantically, but there is a place for you in my heart" which apparently makes it a harem for some people

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's lots of side girls in re:zero and basically none of them give two shits about subaru

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

sometimes people consider shows a harem just by virtue of having one male character in a cast of mostly female characters or vice versa, but without there being romantic/sexual tension between everyone, i wouldn't really agree

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

It's kind of a silly conversation honestly but like in something like love Hina only two of the girls are actually into the main dude but it's like a protypical harem

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

tbf I haven't really watched any legit harem animes. More along the lines of Subaru being a self-insert that inexplicably gets the respect/romantic interest of women who far outstrip him in position, power, and theoretically, intellect.

It gave me a similar feel to Fate/Stay Night, where there's an annoying MC surrounded by a bunch of attractive women. Not all of them want to bang him, but you know that they're there for the audience to get off to.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Back when love Hina was relevant there were always people who insisted the manga was like a masterpiece and the anime was just a pale shadow of it and well, I'm taking a stand 10 years later and saying I don't believe them

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

actually i don't know that

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

tbf I haven't really watched any legit harem animes. More along the lines of Subaru being a self-insert that inexplicably gets the respect/romantic interest of women who far outstrip him in position, power, and theoretically, intellect.

It gave me a similar feel to Fate/Stay Night, where there's an annoying MC surrounded by a bunch of attractive women. Not all of them want to bang him, but you know that they're there for the audience to get off to.

Shirou's a buff dude who can cook and in ordinary life just seems like a helpful responsible dude. shiro could totally have a harem is what I'm saying

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

yeah well that's just like uh your opinion man

Hunt11 posted:

Well so is a decent part of what you said.

:thejoke:

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 13, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Back when love Hina was relevant there were always people who insisted the manga was like a masterpiece and the anime was just a pale shadow of it and well, I'm taking a stand 10 years later and saying I don't believe them

Love Hina will always be relevant.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

yeah well that's just like uh your opinion man

Well so is a decent part of what you said.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

If we talk in purely relative terms then heck, sure the manga is better than the anime by comparison I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
i got all of love hina as a gift from a friend. haven't actually read it. should i?

• Locked thread