Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
White Coke
May 29, 2015
I managed to beat some of the missions on Titan when I played this back in the day, but never the whole campaign. This looks like it'll be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Why was Thebes the worst city-state?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Melth posted:

Theban bullshit.

Aside from being an oligarchy how much is known about the government of Thebes? I have some knowledge of the Athenian and Spartan government since they're the two city-states everyone focuses on, but how hosed up was Thebes? Were they just really hostile to the other city-states or was there some really screwed up social organization like the Spartans had?

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Orv posted:

E: Though I don't appreciate your tacit giant racism. :colbert:

You can't be racist against giants, they're white.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I'm glad you scheme for the thread Melth.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Melth posted:

I think that's three people now who thought the way they came up with the horse was a problem with the script. I never had an issue with it myself so I'm curious what you guys think is wrong with it.

To me the silly part was always the Trojan horse itself. Like most of Odysseus's 'clever' ideas it always struck me as both needlessly complex and completely dependent on luck. The ultimate in 'blind' luck in his plans was of course introducing himself to Polyphemus as 'nobody'.

There are so many levels on which that shouldn't have helped at all, but even if we're willing to pretend that it was perfectly plausible that the other Cyclops would really fall for it and ask no further questions when the screaming Polyphemus said "nobody is killing me", a bigger problem remains. Any other cry for help either more or less coherent would have doomed the lot of them! A simple "help, help!" or "He's killing me" for example. Or just wordless screaming and thrashing about. Or "nobody and his men are killing me!" And especially "The strong-greaved Achaeans who brought their hollow ships over the wine-dark sea are killing me with sharp bronze." Now of course it was actually sharp wood, but he was blind and had no way of knowing that and my first guess if a bunch of armed men stabbed me in the eye would probably be that they used their weapons rather than a random log from the fire (and also I couldn't think of an epithet Homer used for wood).

I thought the other cyclops (cyclopses ?) just thought Polyphemus was really drunk, so him screaming about Nobody hurting him, or Nobody and his men, no seriously guys his name is Nobody, would have just made them treat it all as a joke.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Poil posted:

Yes, and fighting for Set too. Which makes no sense whatsoever. :v:

Screw you dad!

White Coke
May 29, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

I thought Set had a crocodile head?

No Set's head is of the Set animal.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Asehujiko posted:

The way I would do it is advance the timeline a bit, (mostly) keeping the Greeks and Norse and having them be Romans and Germans, with some rebalancing where those cultures diverge from the originals like having romans have their counter infantry infantry(now known as the legionary) be their main unit.

Or post-Marian Legionnaires could be a higher-tech unit, with the earlier units being the more Greek style units like Triarii and Principes.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Hunt11 posted:

Does she interact with anyone besides Paris that isn't someone Zeus has cheated on her with?

Jason.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
There's also a version where Arachne loses to Athena and then kills herself so Athena brings her back as a spider out of pity

White Coke
May 29, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

...And then it turns out it was just the god of cooks and feasting.
(I have no idea what they were a god of)

According to wikipedia he lives in a lake of fire in the underworld, so he sounds more like some sort of demon.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

anilEhilated posted:

Balderdash. The ancient Egyptians just understood the value of well-cooked ingredients.

It does make me wonder about where the fire=hell=bad connection comes from; I mean, most of our concepts of Hell come from Dante and Milton, but the only fiery bad guy ancient mythology I can name off the top of my head was Loki.

Loki is only associated with fire because of Logi, who was the embodiment of fire, and beat Loki at an eating contest.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I got stuck on this mission for awhile. Long enough to learn that things do come out of the underworld passage..

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Asehujiko posted:

Have you considered doing post commentary?

He does, it's just a matter of fitting everything in the rather short timeframe available.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Boksi posted:

Also, I seem to recall one version of the myth about Thor's hammer state that while the shaft was too short normally, it would grow when he rubbed it :wiggle:

I've only heard the version where it was short because Loki sabotaged the dwarfs making it so Thor needed to use special gloves to hold and catch it after he threw it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
This was the first mission I beat on Titan.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Munin posted:

And even with Persephone he ended up being far nicer than most of the other Greek gods would be in that kind of situation.

Then again that isn't saying much...

Hades did get the permission of Persephone's father, Zeus, before he abducted her. He just decided to come out of a chasm in the earth to drag her to the Underworld instead of telling her that her father had agreed to let him marry her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Glazius posted:

Is the AI bug present only in this mission, or does it exist elsewhere in the scenarios as well, waiting to strike?

Didn't Melth say it was in the next level too?

• Locked thread