Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

The Wonder Twins had an alien monkey named Gleek, didn't they?

Like, I know what you're talking about, but I don't remember who they were, just that they weren't the Wonder Twins.

Correct. There is a Wonder Dog but he belonged to Marvin and Wendy, not the Wonder Twins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

And that, Wonder Twins, is why branding matters. They should have learned from Batman.

Well they're both biting off Wonder Woman's thing anyway.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

Don't the Wonder Twins turn into, like, buckets of water and dinosaurs? That's nothing like Wonder Woman.

It is a joke based on their name.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

I don't get it, what made the show dire? You just say it wasn't for you because people cheered when they sang a song?

:psyduck:

I assume they did not enjoy the show at all but also admit they are not in Frozen's target audience and thus that may not apply to people who are.

21 Muns posted:

IMO, Disney should commit to a plan, kind of like Pixar's plan to make no more than 1/3 of their movies prequels, to make at least 1/3 of their movies stylistically unique. We could get a Paperman-ish movie, a faux-stop-motion movie, a movie in that faux-painted style Rapunzel was supposed to be in, etc

Disney had all 5 of the top 5 grossing movies last year. I imagine their response to that is 'lol, why?'

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

See, that's something I really admired about Walt Disney- He risked financial loss to push innovative artforms. It's a pity Disney Corp can't be arsed to do that with billions behind them.

I think Disney is willing to take risks in some form or another, in terms of writing or casting. Maybe things that shouldn't be risk ("A woman star? Well, I never!") but they're not 100% safe at all times. That said I do wish they'd be willing to do more artistically. Hell, I wish we still got 2D films.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Is that really a risk when it's coming from the company that built it's empire on the Princess Movie?.

Yes, because "Princess Movie" doesn't mean the same thing now as it did then, and they're also not just doing it with movies involving princesses.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

"Most Disney princesses wear a ring. This Princess dominates one."

- Punch -
coming 2019

Well, I'm upset this film doesn't exist now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Drifter posted:

No. There's no assisted suicide at the end of this one.

gently caress, first Tangled and now this? Disney, why do you ruin everything?!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

Had some time to burn in between renders and put this together real quick because I loving love that tagline. Re-worked it slightly though, and made a change to the title as per Waffleman's suggestion. I laughed.

I can't press 5 any harder.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Can we make another viral poster about the next Disney Princess, whose a baby possum (discovered in a vending machine) who lives in the Disney Animation offices?

TRAPPED, coming this Fall.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

KILL IT WITH FIRE.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A quick reminder of a film I bet most people don't even remember exists:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

Didn't this come out during a weird spurt where there were a bunch of animated movies about shrinking people?

I think so. Literally the only reason I remember it exist is because one of the very first freelance writing gigs I had was writing a review of the game and even then I completely and utterly forgot it existed until I was going back through some old files earlier. In my brain it always transformed into Antz or Bugs Life or something instead.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

The new Beauty and the Beast has the plot point that if Beast cant fight off the spell the servants become furniture forever.

Jesus, that witch needs to tone it down. She's at a 27 and needs to be at more of a 3.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The only thing I remember about the ADGTH sequel is that the wacky sidekick dog dies in the first 5 minutes after choking on a bone, which felt weirdly grim even for a sequel to ADGTH

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pick posted:

Please try to remember that most people who watched Zootopia appreciated it for its nuance and artistry and not because of wiener reasons.

Sorry it turns out people only watch movies based on who they want to gently caress.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Then what does it say that I watched a movie where a man fucks a turtle?

You want to pull your head into the turtle shell, obviously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pick posted:

Much like Trolls, I think the big weakness of BH6 is that it is constrained by the property upon which it is based. If it weren't, it would probably have been ten times better. I was ultimately still able to enjoy Trolls, but BH6 feels like a waste of my time.

BH6 isn't constrained by the property upon which it is based at all. It has almost nothing to do with it but the names.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Come on now Spider-Man is a teenager and also in an entirely different universe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's a film about a whiny baby who thinks he is a businessman who is looking to blame effectively harmless things in order to find an excuse for why nobody likes him. Why do you think it's going to do well in Trump's America?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

lol, Belle's one quality that makes her the intelligent Disney princess is "likes to read" and they decide this is a good character to not know/understand Shakespeare.

Uh, that's the opposite of what that means. If they're (the twitter poster, not the film) using "Beast-splaining" like "Man-splaining" then it implies that what's going on is that he's explaining to her something she already knows but that he assumes she doesn't. Thus it being condescending.

The change isn't "Belle doesn't know Shakespeare" it is "The Beast is literate and intelligent and treats Belle like she isn't smart enough to understand what he does." (Again, based off only that explanation.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suspect the heavy presence of Belle and Moana is due to them being the most recent in addition to general popularity. A lot of polls tend to get heavily influenced by that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I don't know if it can be worse than another friend insisting on taking me to Alvin & the Chipmunks.
So is this just a thing for me, or does everyone else have otherwise good friends with tremendously bad taste in movies who thrust them upon you as a test of friendship? Who got dragged to Norm of the North?

Generally no, my friends tend to have similar tastes to me and when they don't it's rarely a case of "I want you to see this thing I know you'll dislike."

We all laughed our asses as the tiny floating rock in The Last Airbender though so YMMV.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

See, I would love to watch it as a riff deal. That is extremely my poo poo. I'm just dreading sitting there in abject, dour silence since it's something she genuinely enjoys and I don't want to insult her. :(

Well, you're a good friend at least!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I contend that there is no medium less enjoyable than a bad comedy.

Depends. Bad comedies that are bad for all the wrong reasons are amazing. It isn't a movie but a game but Illbleed would only be half as funny if its comedy worked as intended.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shadow Hog posted:

This might come as a surprise to some, but I'm pretty sure Hedrigall is one, too

Shut your goddamn lying mouth. Hedrigall is an animated cartoon lion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Probably almost zero. This sort of thing happens all the time.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Especially when the idea is "what if there was a city of animals where the cute animal wasn't taken seriously" as Zootopia isn't even the first frigging thing to do that ever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Sorry, Im a creature that feeds on misery and I can only be temporarily defeated by learning valuable moral lessons in less than two hours.

Please go back to your job, Mr. President.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xibanya posted:

And yet sports journalism never references the events of Space Jam, which is a strong argument against the canonical status of the Michael Jordan Expanded Universe.

Well, yeah, all news is Fake, haven't you been paying attention to the President of the United States of America?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

What I wanna know is: Is Shaq Fu canon? How about the fateful 1 on 1 Carter vs O'Neal?

Shaq-Fu is canon per Barkley.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Who the hell liked ReBoot?

I think even as a kid I thought the characters & visual style looked awful.

I loved Reboot as a kid though I imagine it wouldn't hold up if I watched it now.

Live action Reboot is like a fully animated Who Framed Roger Rabbit though. The medium is literally the point. Why do it any other way?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So apparently Wreck It Ralph 2 is titled "Ralph Breaks The Internet" and seems to revolve around smartphone games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LeJackal posted:

This has to be some sort of complex plot to do something evil. It can't be legitimately true.

Also, do not Google Image search 'gay Simba' at work.

Think about what day it is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I never ever remember this loving movie exists. I'm pretty sure nobody does.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What if Baby Boss is actually super excellent? Why are you so biased against babies and bosses?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aces High posted:

Toy Story 2 was the outlier, for me, that sequels always sucks and I don't mean stuff as part of trilogies and series (though this was a few years out from Harry Potter). To this day I am still of the opinion that Pixar is the only company that can make a good sequel.

You hate Aliens and Terminator 2?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's Bravest of the Lamp. His entire thing is going into threads and trying to start internet slap fights. Just ignore him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I really liked Madoka. The only even-close-to-questionable content in it I can think of was towards the end, but it's only questionable if you consider Sailor Moon to be nude during her transformation scene. I considered the outlined form to be representative of the soul, not actually naked. Is there something else I missed?

God, the witch labyrinths and the silhouette fight in Madoka were exceptional. :allears:

I think children being violently and graphically murdered onscreen is probably an Objectionable Thing when you are talking about family friendly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fangz posted:

What is actually the correct tone, in your view?

Because "go gently caress yourselves" seems pretty persuasive to me.

Evangelion isn't a bitter "you loving suck and I hate you" thing. It's genuinely a work that has something to say about relationships between people and how hosed up and messed up they can be. There is an undercurrent of anger to it but the anger isn't just at hardcore fans because they suck but anger at a lot of things including Anno having anger at himself. The franchise is critical as a whole of anime nerds but keep in mind that criticism includes the staff. It isn't people doing a gently caress-you to people they hate, it involves a lot of personal elements, self-loathing and a healthy dose of massively slashed budget.

But it's also sympathetic and it cares. It doesn't want you to go to hell. It wants people to grow and become better. Shinji is a hosed-up and broken kid and you're supposed to pity him, not hate him. The only thing Evangelion really truly despises is people who cut themselves off entirely and even them it treats as sad, not evil.