Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Detective No. 27 posted:

An animator for Bambi died on the 31st. He was 106 years old.

Production designer. It was Tyrus Wong :smith:

His work on Bambi is goddamn gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Saw Princess Mononoke last night, and it was great! It'd been a long time since I saw it. Even though I remembered most of what happens, there's a lot of nuance to it that I didn't remember or may have even been too young to notice. It's much more directly political than I'd remembered. It's kinda fun how the different factions are portrayed. Lady Eboshi is seemingly compassionate and progressive, but she's still motivated by greed, so she runs into trouble with these radical environmentalist animals, and Ashitaka wants everything resolved without violence but doesn't have a good answer to make that happen, really. Then the conservatives just roll up and screw everybody over, because those guys are complete assholes. It's also more violent than I remembered, and I remembered it being pretty violent. I'm surprised it's only PG-13, but I'm guessing that was Disney's influence.

The crowd was surprisingly full, and everyone was given Hot Topic coupons. I'm glad it seemed like a successful rerelease, but it seemed like they expected an audience of mostly nerds, and they weren't wrong. It's kinda too bad, because it's a great movie and deserves a wider audience.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Waffleman_ posted:

Monster is so good, but Viz has given up on it in the west, so it's not legally available anywhere. Gotta go that deep web that daaaark web.

Man I wish someone would animate glass shark

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 13, 2017

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That doesn't contradict his point at all. Obviously Moana presents a return to the mythic past (e: and the humbled abdication of man's mastery over nature, for that matter) as a good thing, but that's the essence of his criticism in the first place.

In the movie it's presented as competing traditions. Moana's father stresses tradition, but only if it's the traditions he likes.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Detective No. 27 posted:

Edit: I am thinking of Arthur and the Invisibles.

Fun fact, those are all Luc Besson movies, based on books also written by Luc Besson.

Also I just did some clicking around on Wikipedia and they seem like they might be a big deal in Europe. There's some kind of 4D IMAX attaction based on it in France, and here's a rollercoaster in Germany that was opened four years after the last movie was released, and the article even mentions some kind of "Kingdom of the Invisibles" area.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm never gonna see it because I don't have any interest in seeing it, but based on the trailer I saw before Lego Batman (what a good movie that was, btw), I'm mostly just left wondering "why are they doing this in live action if they're just going to mostly copy the animated one?"

It doesn't seem like they're doing anything majorly different with it :shrug: I'd be interested if they were trying to shake things up in how they handle the story.

Based on Cinderella and The Jungle Book, the MO so far has been adding in a bunch of new content, but making sure to hit all the main points from the old one. That way they can press everyone's nostalgia buttons and have the movie still be a reasonable length for a blockbuster.

LeJackal posted:

Also, Beast remains a beast.

This is basically what they did with The Jungle Book.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
It's really just not that hard for two people to come up with similar ideas independently.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
When I saw Monster Trucks Leap was one of the trailers they played alongside Rock Dog and The Nut Job 2, so apparently the target demographic of all those movies is people who saw the Monster Trucks trailer and thought they might enjoy Monster Trucks.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Macaluso posted:

How was Monster Trucks? Cause it looked like just a fun time that knew how ridiculous its premise was.

It's pretty harmless and has some monster and truck action. It feels very much like a kids movie, and I got kind of a 90s vibe from it and I don't know if that's because it actually reminds me of 90s stuff or just because I was exposed to more of this kind of movie/show at that time. Just the tone and the acting had that feel to it for me.

Just a few random thoughts:
The villains were an evil oil corporation that had taken over a small town and didn't give a poo poo about the environment (one of the characters is an environmental scientist, played by Thomas Lennon from Reno 911, who works for the oil company and falsifies data so he they can dig on what would otherwise be protected land), which was good. The main villain is Rob Lowe, but I don't think they had him on set for very long. All the bad guy stuff is done by proxy by his security contractor and their leader. At one point he gets a call during a meeting, and then at the end of the movie, there's a montage of all the characters, and he's in the same boardroom being arrested, as if they had to shoot something of him getting his comeuppance with what little time they had left of him being on set. The product placement was pretty intrusive. Everything is Dodge, one of the characters works at a Dodge dealership, and the dealership is a major plot point. Frank Welker plays the monster. It has a lot of time put into setting up the premise of monsters driving trucks, which makes sense because it was meant to set up a toy line or franchise or something.

But yeah not a good movie by any stretch, but I didn't really find it boring or too obnoxious that I can remember. Most of it's pretty forgettable. The synopsis section of the Wikipedia page has been asking to be expanded since January.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 26, 2017

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
It's not so much that it's branding everywhere as it is Dodge everywhere, and specifically Dodge, and then they go to the Dodge dealership to convert some Dodge trucks into Dodge trucks with monsters in them so they can fight the other Dodge trucks. It's not really annoying because it's just sort of a silly movie, but it's pretty much Dodge o'clock always, and it was sort of fun watching it and thinking that Dodge was probably why they felt like they had to put the movie out there.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Rango
Zootopia
Wall-E
Ratatouille
Lilo & Stitch
Mulan
Spirited Away
The King and the Mockingbird
Hunchback of Notre Dame
Up

Just off the top of my head. It's kinda recent and Disney/Pixar-heavy, though. I don't actually like The King and the Mocking THAT much, but it's got really nice animation, and I like the story behind getting it made. Princess Mononoke was way more violent than I remembered, so I put Spirited Away instead.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Hedrigall posted:

I didn't realise Sykes was meant to be Jewish

I guess I just don't "see" race :smugdog:

nah it's because I'm a trash who hasn't read Dickens

I thought whole reason Sykes was the villain was because in the book it was Fagin who was an anti-semitic caricature but I haven't read it either.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Paddington was a really nice surprise so I'm really looking forward to that sequel. I'm okay with calling it animated if we're calling The Jungle Book live action.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

K. Waste posted:

In both the film, and now its educational exhibition, the preoccupation is with bias/sensitivity, because actually debating the role of policing is moot. You can't even say that Zootopia is teaching these dicks to think of the citizens before the 'fellow officer.' The villain of Zootopia is not a cop. Bunny Cop doesn't have to roll over on anybody, because abuse is never actually depicted, except as bullying by children.

I wonder if the police were portrayed more negatively in the original version? Concept art has Nick as the protagonist being chased by the police through Little Rodentia instead of the weasel and Chief Bogo being a dick:

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Shadow Hog posted:

I mean, I'm not wholly convinced much changed on that front - even if he eventually becomes less of one after he eats crow over Judy's capabilities.

Yeah, but I get where K.Waste is coming from. He abuses his power as Judy's boss and holds racist personal beliefs even when they get in the way of doing his job, while that picture implies that he also abuses his power against minorities.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

CRINDY posted:

Hey, there's a festival over in Europe right now that's premiering some promising stuff!

I love the art style for "Big Bad Fox and Other Tales," a French 2D animated flick that looks like it's the follow-up to Ernest and Celestine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G55ToR5lP6A

This looks really cute. The art style and the shot framing is kind of interesting for a theatrical movie.

Someday I need to get around to watching all these French animated films.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mye922yk65Y&t=87s

Wow so it really is just a lovely version of the Gene Wilder movie.

edit: I just realized the reason that the song goes flat halfway through is because they mixed the sound wrong, because that guy's part is in the original movie, too.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 5, 2017

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Hedrigall posted:

• Nemo's mum is the first death in a Pixar film, right?

I think that guy Hopper killed was.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Anchors Aweigh. Jerry's animation gets kinda weird when he starts dancing and I can't quite figure out why. I wanna say it's because they didn't ink his edges, or inked them a lot more lightly.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Aug 9, 2017

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
They played this Miyazaki-directed music video when I went to see Princess Mononoke.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
'80s nostalgia sells really well, and they aired long enough that the age gap for kids who watched them is pretty big. I was born in 1990, and I can remember watching Ducktales, Muppet Babies, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, and maybe even Gummi Bears (I remember it existed), even though the latest any of those were still getting new episodes was apparently 1992. I don't think I watched them for that long though because I don't remember specific episodes or anything other than the Ducktales movie. Ducktales always seems like the most popular of those, too.

I'm surprised they were surprised.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

ImpAtom posted:

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/...m_medium=social

It is pretty amazing how something written in English with actual voice actors somehow sounds exactly like a cheap anime dub.

This looks wonderful. The weird boring opening with the overpowered racquet breaking sound, the absurdly generic robot, the voice acting, implied old New York still existing under water including for some reason the World Trade Center, "you have to protect our family name" followed by the dude dunking his head underwater and "Starring Jaden Smith" appearing behind him, "Coco Chanel may her memory be blessed".

I kinda wanna check this out. It looks bad in the strangest ways.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
I don't really have anything new to add, but I also really enjoyed Coco. One thing that's kinda weird that I've noticed Pixar likes to do is as the technology has gotten better, their texturing has gotten a lot more realistic even when they designs themselves aren't. I usually notice it on the environments. I noticed it especially on the great grandmother in this. Not Pixar, but I noticed the same thing in How to Train Your Dragon 2 back when I saw it. I'm not really sure what to think about it. It didn't really jump out at me until the end when you get a close up of the great grandmother's hands, but looking at screencaps online it's definitely everywhere. I'm not sure how I feel about it aesthetically. I'm leaning toward it being good, but just different than what I'm used to.

I feel like Disney made that Frozen holiday short for TV and attached it to Coco because they were afraid the movie wouldn't sell on its own merits. It reminded me a lot of the holiday stuff Dreamworks makes and has a similar runtime. I feel like the reaction would be less negative as a TV special. I would've preferred seeing an original Pixar short.

ThePlague-Daemon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 2, 2017

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Cheapsteaks posted:

So instead of a hermit sneering from the mountain top he's just a dude that goes shopping and is a dick, got it.

Maybe he's more like an internet troll type of person in this one. He could still be misanthropic and self-important and reclusive, but the context here feels more like a shut-in than a mountain hermit, and his cave is really different. In the original the rooms are much smaller, but here you get a couple shots emphasizing how oversized it is for him.

The trailer isn't interesting, and the self-referential Illumination stuff and the screaming minion at the beginning do a terrible job setting the tone, but the things he does in the trailer don't necessarily contradict him being reclusive and self-important and misanthropic and feeling justified in his behavior. It's fine if they want to show him expressing that in different ways than usual. The problem is the trailer is just kinda whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
Saw something about Dreamworks starting to make shorts pop up in my Twitter feed, starting with Bilby. There's a short clip and some concept art in the article. It looks cute.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAaT-W06bFE