Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FirstAidKite posted:

Is it true that the lego batman movie is going to attempt to be serious

I forget where I'd heard that the lego batman movie was attempting to be serious. Well, maybe serious isn't the right way to go, but I mean like, just telling a typical sorta batman story but everything happens to be lego instead of going bonkers with everything like the lego movie did

Hedrigall posted:

Have you seen the trailer?

Looks kinda bonkers
Looks so bonkers it actually looks pretty comedy-tryhard terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

21 Muns posted:

Man, did you see the original Lego Movie? I don't consider myself a Batman fan, but I'm going to see this, and I find it difficult to imagine someone who loved The Lego Movie not looking forward to the Lego Batman Movie from the trailer. I also find it difficult to imagine someone who watched The Lego Movie not loving it.

Yeah, I saw it. Its humor didn't really resonate with me, which is weird because silly poo poo is usually my yardhouse. Sure looked fantastic, though. Lego Batman just, to me, looks like more of the same dialed up past eleven.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

Everyone should strive to watch Zootopia more. Try to even fit viewings of Zootopia inside your viewings of Zootopia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A-YQrbn-JQ

You can watch that in between viewings of Zootopia.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You guys can't have CARS and Zootopia BOTH take place in the same universe where Humans have died out. :smh:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Sure we can. We only see one country in Zootopia, not the world.

Cars takes place throughout the world. Overseas and everything, they even have accents. And there are boats and planes and stuff, too, right? Zootopia doesn't exactly take place on Disney's K(ar)ong Island.

And world-wide, every automobile except on this one area is sentient? Not buying it. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Gosh darnit, I think I just had this conversation with my step dad a week ago. I thnk it started when I was describing Moana to my mom over Christmas as 'that new Pixar movie'.

You're right. :sigh:

I always conflate them. To me they're one and the same company.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Dec 30, 2016

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

A young man, wracked with guilt, was asking whether he should tell his new girlfriend that he used to masturbate to his stepmother.

Used to?!?! Never give up on your dreams. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Gave my brother and sisterinlaw a day off from their kids and took the nephews to see Sing. It was inoffensively bland. There was no point to it, but it served the purpose of sitting down for two hours. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't interesting or good, either. I won't remember it after tomorrow. More fun than Secret Life of Pets, at least.

I enjoyed the milfy pig when she dressed up as a slutty Evil Queen from Snow White. Did I though? I don't know. I noticed it, I guess. "Enjoy" isn't a thing that this movie produces - maybe 'recognize' is a better term.

There were no bad guys aside from tertiary ones - a banker was rude, and gangster bears wanted to collect money from one of the show singers. The kids liked it, but I could've saved my money by putting on four episodes of Shawn the Sheep at home.

I would suggest you don't waste your time. You definitely don't need to pay theater prices when you watch it. You should feel zero urgency to see it.

There were seeds of interesting characters, the unappreciated/neglected/stuck-in-a-rut pig mom, the emotionally abused porcupine girl, the not-following-in-his-dad's-footsteps gorilla, the...uh...Frank Sinatra mouse, the other ones. It's all washed away and/or resolved in insultingly simplistic fashions. None of it stayed interesting beyond the minute-long character introductions.

I'm taking them to see Trolls tomorrow. :allears:
I hope the Bergens don't scare them. When I was five I was afraid of the California Raisins for three months, so who fuckin' knows?

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 1, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I just convinced like six people in this thread to watch it because of that. :laugh:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Haledjian posted:

I saw the portfolio of an ILM guy who said he'd hand-UV mapped and hand-painted every single scale on Rattlesnake Jake.

Which is I guess impressive but also why the hell would you ever do that

When you have to look busy because your boss is around.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

I'm disappointed the 2016 animation thread didn't end in a dance party :smith:

At least nobody died.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I still remain absolutely shocked by how enjoyable Trolls turned out to be.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I suspect that it originally started out just as a Jungle Book show, but was eventually rewritten into something else.

And was so much the better as a result.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

FirstAidKite posted:

Was who framed roger rabbit any good

Like, I know it is this beloved technological marvel of animation and live action and fitting all of these different characters together, but was it actually any good?

I haven't seen it in forever and tbh I know it's lame as hell but I only thought about it again because I had a nightmare the other night involving me having to watch the shoe scene again :(

I watched it two or three years ago and it was still fun as heck.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

They've all had middling performance at the box office. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=laika.htm

Jesus, even Boxtrolls made almost double their budget. Kubo barely broke even.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Kubo was probably also too dark, weird, and confusing both tonally and storywise for major audiences.

Shoulda had a dance party.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shadow Hog posted:

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/818286653429137409
Not terribly shocking, but not undeserved either.

This is a good win. Zootopia was really good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
It's like somebody painted a Nic Cage face on her head.

I don't believe that's the real picture.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Moon Atari posted:

I also got roped into seeing Sing, it was what I expected it to be, but I was surprised that the reaction by the kids in the audience seemed so unenthusiastic. The only laughter was to the fart joke. The real reaction was to the five seconds of minions in the trailer to Despicable Me 3. Kids were screaming in ecstasy, doing flips, one kid does a victory lap of the cinema. They really love those things hey.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Did Cars 2 continue from cars one, or was it mostly standalone from the McQueen story?

This is what Studio Ghibli's doing these days? Is there an A team and a B team?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRRNrqqfMgA

Rona: The Robber's Daughter looks terrible. That animation is awful.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Moon Atari posted:

lmao, how could they have released this thing? Since when does hermione have freckles lol.

Why'd you photoshop it? The original is perfectly bad.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Build-a-Boar posted:

Maybe I wasn't in the right mood for it but I got maybe 10 minutes into Trolls before I had to turn it off because my brain literally could not cope with the noise and colour and absolute cringe of it. Dang.

Did you watch the trailer, or did you just go in blind? I can't imagine you thinking the trailer was okay and then being put off by the actual movie.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Egbert Souse posted:

Hopps & Wilde would be a good one because it sounds like a cop movie.

Either that or Zootopia Confidential.

Mooseholland Drive

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

God now I want a Zootopia comic series featuring every non-talking animal sidekick from a Disney history, now anthropomorphised as Zootopia residents

Helppp why doesn't this exist yet :(

Just visit any hentai website. You know the keywords to search for.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Geomancing posted:

The new Ni no Kuni looks nice.

Ni no Kuni 2 legitimately looks fantastic. I mean, it'll likely suck and be bland like the first, but...:shrug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ZNmEJgXCE

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Are they actually making an animated movie for movie theaters? Holy poo poo. It's too bad he won't be a real person. SOny is Dreamworks, right?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Can't wait for the crossover.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

I can't understand any of that, but I saw a short insert of Ping Pong, an amazing anime with a dope as gently caress artstyle. I'm assuming it's the same studio who made that so it could be cool. The art style isn't as raw or compelling, but I still like it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Now that they've posted the artwork, it boggles my mind why ANYONE would want to have all those mediocre movies in person. Just print out those images instead. Two out of three of those are bland or blah.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pick posted:

Literally the only Dreamworks animated film I powerfully, powerfully do not want to ever see again is Bee Movie. I don't like Shrek 3, Turbo, Madagascar 2 either but they're not that bad.

I really enjoyed Trolls!

Anybody who doesn't like Trolls probably just hasn't watched it yet.

Or is a terrible anti-fun shrekhole. :colbert:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Magnus Condomus posted:

Third is in production, set for 2019 release currently. Other than that they have the mediocre but still kinda fun Netflix cartoon.

Never seen the httyd cartoon, but I'd imagine Trollhunters the recently released cartoon series is probably similar, and likely a little better, as well.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ThermoPhysical posted:

Also the wolves. The wolves are the second best.

I thought the submarine gag was great when they all had to come up for air.
Yeah, Storks had the dry goofy humor that can be really amusing or really bland - thank goodness it went down the amusing path.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Don Bluth, did that plan they had to turn Dragon's Lair into a movie fall through or is it still in development at this point?

If it was a kickstarter I'm positive they just took the money and ran.

Haha, no. They funded it through indiegogo exactly a year ago and are "still hard at work" at developing the movie pitch (re:teaser trailer or whatever).
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dragon-s-lair-returns-movie-cartoon#/updates

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Roxanne was just a human woman wearing a fake nose to hide herself among the Goofs.
I don't know, dude. She's deffo got a snout.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I was watching it while babysitting my kid brother and he was amusingly subdued during it. Usually he's like a monkey when watching movies but he just kinda sat there, slack-jawed. It's like it numbed him.

Anything surrounding Shawn the Sheep renders my nephews into blank-staring potato sacks. They emit pulses of laughter at regular intervals but don't move or blink until the show shuts off, otherwise.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U496dSv2k_g

I really think the original movie looks better. It just has so much more soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Macaluso posted:

God. GOD. How can anyone watch this comparison and see the loving WEAKASS Beast and Gaston they have compared to the original and still be EXCITED FOR IT. Look at that poo poo!!!! Look at that lovely Gaston with his tiny stick body and 1980s werewolf costume Beast. gently caress.

And man that scene after the Beast saves Belle and they have this like old-married-couples bickering back and forth in the original is SO GOOD and I bet the new movie isn't going to have a scene even HALF as good in place of it. I'm so mad about this movie I have no intention of seeing anyway gently caress

The worst is the teapot stuff. THey look dead inside in the new one - like you'd find them in COnjuring 2 haunting people or something.