Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ConfusedUs posted:

My prediction for MLP is massive internet backlash. Not because it's bad, but because MLP fans are the worst.

Like everything else marginally controversial on the internet these days, it'll be backlash meets counter-backlash meets counter-counter-backlash until the only safe thing to do is have no opinion at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Wow, I had no idea Prince of Egypt ever made it to blu-ray; until now I only knew of it being on digital HD.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Timeless Appeal posted:

In general I don't think the Disney Renaissance's clean colors, full animation, and more exaggerated human characters has necessarily aged well.

Though I hate to admit it, I know exactly what you mean. I did feel this way when I rewatched Beauty and the Beast on blu-ray. Still an excellent film with excellent music, but the animation isn't nearly as perfect as I remember it. Whereas stuff like Fantasia, proper Bluth movies, and The Prince Of Egypt hold up perfectly well. Actually, I'd put Hunchback in that lineup too.

(Perfect username for that post, BTW)

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I might be totally wrong on this, but Treasure Planet and Atlantis always struck me as Disney trying to do something like Titan AE, which is bizarre because that movie wasn't even a hit. I guess there was some bug going around the animation studios at the time that people wanted more edgy, action-oriented animated movies? Maybe it was due to the popularity of anime at the time?

Titan AE definitely didn't hold up quite as well on re-watches, but I liked it a lot when it came out. I guess part of it was that weird underdog effect where you want to like something that isn't popular, so it seems better. It's definitely not bad and it succeeds on a basic level of being an exciting action movie, but it's got holes for sure. And like most Whedon things, it teeters dangerously on the brink of being a little too winking and sarcastic. But at least that's almost always better than being boring and over-serious.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Unmature posted:

That's most animated series. But try telling a nerd that less than half the episodes of Batman TAS are any good.

Or that the original TMNT series, by all appearances, blew its entire budget on the first 5 episodes.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I have a friend who is constantly showing me universally reviled movies and explaining why he likes them, and then I go "I KNOW RIGHT?!" :haw: and we bond over it.

Well, I'm glad SMG has at least one friend :unsmith:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Hedrigall posted:

Live action Cars :shepface:

Just The Fast and the Furious with all the actors Photoshopped out and no other changes

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Wreck-it Ralph: Bloodlines
Wreck-it Ralph: Chronicles

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
And that's no bull!

*Dusts off hands* Another hard day's work finished!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
My gut reaction is that an Invader Zim revival is about 7 years too late. A lot of people my age would've eaten that up in college for sure. But now that money is mortgage payment money. I could be totally wrong though, IDK really.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Robindaybird posted:

This is something I notice with ALL Tim Burton's movies, even the stuff that's considered unequivocally good - there's this kind of sterileness in the direction and set that keeps the audience at arm's reach from the characters and actions.

What I'm taking away from this whole conversation is that Tim Burton essentially makes live-action anime

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Might as well go Full Magical Negro and cast Morgan Freeman.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Barudak posted:

If youve not read his non novel works they are written in a style that comes across as both talking down to you mixed with a sense that somehow you are rudely impugning on his time by making him write this book for such an idiot as you to understand these truths he just gets.

To be fair, I think that's just how British people write.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
The Popeye DVDs that came out a while ago had some good commentaries of the "animation historian" variety.

Also I remember when I was younger I watched the Road To El Dorado commentary at some point, and I did a double-take at one part where they said "poo poo" a bunch of times while discussing the line "Holy ship!"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I think the trend of Avatar naysaying is due to a perceived disconnect between the film's alleged* iconic status and how much pop cultural clout it actually holds today. It's argued by some that even though it made tons of money, it hasn't left a lasting impact -- people don't frequently talk about it, make merchandise about it, or parody it -- and therefore a sequel might not actually do well.
However, I'd say the distance from the first movie may soon become long enough to get some of that "reboot" hype going. It's certainly worked for other sequels...

* Alleged by whom? I'm not entirely sure. The elusive "they", I suppose.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Boxman posted:

Also - "Unobtainium." Good macguffin name or best macguffin name?

Tone is everything. I have no doubt they knew how ridiculous it was, but in-movie, it didn't seem like it was supposed to be ridiculous.

But I've only seen it once so maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Happy emoji and Sad emoji will get lost from the rest of the emojis and have to find their way back to a teenage girl's phone so she can send happy texts agai-- wait, never mind

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

ishikabibble posted:

The dancing ghost is at least just a rotoscope of Cab Calloway in the original cartoon

Who, to be fair, was probably snorting coke

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Watch Totoro now, it's the perfect antithesis to... basically all of entertainment today. Just a charming story with no cynical pandering whatsoever. No snarky comic relief, no artificial conflicts, no obligatory story beats. In a sense I feel like it's one of the most optimistic pieces of media ever made.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Squarely Circle posted:

How's the newer dub of Totoro? I've heard it's not as good as the one released under Fox (which is the one that I have on VHS) but is it just 'not as great' or is it like actively bad?

I only barely noticed the difference, although to be fair, I'm not one of those people who can watch a movie once and start quoting dialogue from it. But for whatever it's worth, the only difference I noticed was changing "dust bunnies" to "soot sprites" (which makes it consistent with the Disney dub of Spirited Away).

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Echoing that Totoro and Ponyo are great for kids, especially the latter.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's hard to imagine what new Animaniacs would even be like, and what audience it will be able to successfully engage. No matter what they do, it'll undeniably be subject to a level of scrutiny far beyond anything the original show ever dealt with.

Good luck I guess

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Star Trek: Deep Space 9. But drama is easier than comedy.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I could go for a wee bit of Gorgonzola in his honor :(

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
In which Smash mouth finally eats the eggs

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
To be fair, if I were a cop I would probably watch movies primarily as an escape from reality, because my whole job would be dealing with reality every single day. Why would I want or expect a movie to teach me how the world works?

Not saying all cops are like that, or that it's the right way to watch movies. But generally, if I were trying to teach hard life lessons to a cop, a movie would probably be the worst way to do it. The most I could hope for is that it would plant a seed of an idea, Inception-style.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/WarnerArchive/status/876946732222783488
I really need to see Mask of the Phantasm so I'm glad its getting this treatment

That should be great, and providing it in both aspect ratios is a good sign that they really care about the project.

For those who don't know, like most of WB's animation that was in the nebulous "maybe this will be for theaters, maybe not" category, MOTP was drawn with full 4:3 framing but intended to be cropped down to 16:9 for theaters.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I thought Antz was really cool the one time I watched it, but I was really in an "animation can be EDGY" anti-Disney phase so I'm not sure if it was actually good.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Ratatouille is the Miyazaki-est Pixar movie. It's incredibly low-stakes, barely has a villain, and devotes half its screen time to awesome-looking food. I don't know if it's my favorite Pixar movie, but there's something refreshingly pure about it. It doesn't feel like it got messed around with in the writers' room. Not too many cooks in the kitchen, as it were.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Waffleman_ posted:

And they cut out Mrs. Bucket's song, so they removed half of the female led songs in the original and shared the other with a man.

In this particular case I'd say it's a win for women

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Barudak posted:

I think youre the first person ive ever heard of who prefered Toy Story 2 as a whole to Toy Story 1.

Not sure if this is sarcastic? It's a very commonly used example of "sequel that's actually better than the original"

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's good, but it's no Mr. Bug Hoppity Goes To Town

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Schwarzwald posted:

is there an angry birds cameo?

The Mobile Device Expanded Universe :getin:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Shadow Hog posted:

what I just learned today was Sean Connery's final film

What the hell man, don't scare me like that

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Well now they finally have a chance to start over and do things right. The new Duckverse will have no such egregious disregard for canon.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Pick posted:

Speaking of Boomhauer, what are everyone's favorite specific line deliveries in an animated feature?

Like, which specific lines from which films do you think were done exactly right--perfectly delivered?

Can I just put "every single line by Kronk in The Emperor's New Groove"?

I suppose if I could pick out just one, in terms of "how funny the delivery makes it" to "how funny it is written" ratio, it would be: "Break it down? Are you kidding me? This is hand-carved mahogany."

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
A Roger Rabbit sequel seems doomed to failure because the first movie wasn't really beloved for its characters or plot; it was beloved for what it was, as a whole. Using the same characters in another movie, or continuing the story, is kind of missing the point. All I can think of that a new movie would bring to the table is a) new cameos or b) needless additional backstory about Toontown. Plus the third and most likely option: references to the first movie.

We've already had other movies kind of carry the torch for WFRR. Toy Story to a small extent, by including Mr. Potato Head, Barbie, etc. And of course Wreck-It Ralph.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Literally Trolls ITT right now

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I realized today that Joseph and his coat of many colors adaption aka Joseph: Coat of Dreams, the follow up to Prince of Egypt wasn't a fever dream but an actual straight to video film with Prince of Egypt's level of casting and animation. Why isn't this more talked about? Is it worth watching?

I remember it being thoroughly OK. Animation quality was definitely lower, very much had that early digital ink look. Music wasn't nearly as memorable either. Still respectable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Pull up, thread, pull up!