Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

So apparently Michel Gagne has been signed on to do the special effects animation for The My Little Pony Movie. He's the main special effects animator from The Iron Giant, as well as Osmosis Jones and several other high profile projects. (And also Battleborn.)

http://www.gagneint.com/Final%20site/Whatsnew/archive/2016/08_Aug/01.html

http://www.gagneint.com/Final%20site/Whatsnew/archive/2016/12_Dec/04.html

So that's an interesting pedigree to bring on board. To bring things full circle as well, Lauren Faust also worked on The Iron Giant as a character animator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Just finished Trollhunters. It's over all a very enjoyable family friendly Del Toro show with some good characters, really good animation for TV CGI, and strong voice acting. There are some weakpoints, such as the predictability and the main female character being essentially sidelined to romantic interest and damsel for about 3/4ths of the show, but I still had a lot of fun with it.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Zootopia but the dialog is replaced with animal noises

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

This also throws into question where Wall-E is on this timeline.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

unrelated but what in the holy hell is going on with your custom title :stare:

Pick posted:

I wrote these words in the r/relationship thread, it made sense in context. It is a beautiful redtext.

And here's the context:

Pick posted:

A young man, wracked with guilt, was asking whether he should tell his new girlfriend that he used to masturbate to his stepmother.

-------------

On topic, I just ordered the Laika blu-ray pack. It's got coraline, paranorman, boxtrolls, and Kubo blu-rays, the only one of which I already own is Paranorman. Could probably do without Boxtrolls since it was pretty mediocre, but I'll give it a re-watch and see if anything redeeming peeks out this time.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

And that loving shoe scene

You clearly haven't seen the deleted pig mask scene. Possible spoilers if someone somehow still hasn't seen the movie: (skip to 4:25 if you just want to see the part in question)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lz_TEJ0BFEI

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Phylodox posted:

I couldn't even make it through the first episode of Trollhunters. The characters just felt so rote. The gym teacher who picks on the fat kid, the bully who stuffs nerds in lockers, everything just felt so paint-by-numbers. Does it do anything interesting to subvert those boring old tropes, or is it just more of the same all the way through? I might give it another chance if I knew it was going anywhere interesting.

I think Billy da Bull is a great visual filmmaker, but I've always found his writing, especially dialogue, to be kind of flat and stilted. Maybe that's only in his English stuff, 'cause of the language barrier?

Also, hearing Anton Yelchin's voice makes me sad. :(

The human characters, unfortunately, don't really subvert those tropes much. That was my biggest issue with the show really, but I was still able to watch and enjoy it. The Troll characters are all great though, and the world building and fight choreography is amazingly fun.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Del Toro is on record as stating that the main character was meant to be a Good Boy like in the old adventure shows, with no dark past or darkness in him, because he was tired of seeing that all the time in main characters these days. I'm not sure it was the correct decision, but there it is.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

I think Kubo bombed because the general populous didn't care about it. Have any of the Laika films been commercial hits?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?id=laikashow.htm

You'll have to scroll down for international, but yeeeahhh none of them were really domestic hits, and most didn't make back their budget domestically. Kubo is the only one to not break 100 mill international though.

--
Woops beaten

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Yeah their marketing seemed to devolve into a flurry of 10 second facebook gifs there at the end.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Unmature posted:

How many episodes of Mob Psycho 100 follow Ritsu? Because I'm getting real bored here.

Ok, other characters are showing up. I'm on ep 8. His brother sucks.

That plot line is about to resolve in a good way, and Ritsu then gets some good character development out of it. Also, Yutaka Nakamura kills it with the animation.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Oh yeah! Michel Gagne mentioned that he was working on this as well as the MLP movie.
http://www.gagneint.com/Final%20site/Whatsnew/archive/2016/07_Jul/22.html

Really happy that guy is getting more work these days.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

got any sevens posted:

Is there another httyd in the pipeline?

Third is in production, set for 2019 release currently. Other than that they have the mediocre but still kinda fun Netflix cartoon.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

It still amazes me that How To Train Your Dragon 2 cost like 20 million less than the first one.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

I think I'll get goofy tonight when I get home from work. Extremely goofy.

...movie.

are you going to do that before or after you watch the movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Plus if anyone is a beast it's the loving evil witch that punished a literal child to a cursed life as a monster as well as punishing all the servants that lived in the castle as well. It's like of loving course the Beast is such a poo poo when Belle first meets him, he was turned into a monster as a child and had basically accepted that he was never going to be transformed back. Meanwhile the evil witch that apparently goes door to door cursing naughty children was clearly capable of magic and didn't actually need to stay in the castle in the first place.

We need a Beauty and the Beast sequel where Beast (who now has the ability to shift back and forth between his human form and beast form, like a werewolf) and Belle go on an adventure to find and kill this evil witch that is making her way around the world probably cursing other children for like not eating their peas or some poo poo

I'm down, but only if they cast Jeremy Renner and Ron Perlman as the beast.