Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Spirited Away was the first Ghibli film I ever saw and I was totally blown away by it as a kid, but these days I'd rather watch any of the others in my collection. Visually it's gorgeous, I wish their older work was that detailed! But the story is just so... ehhh. Maybe it loses something in the dub. Probably. (I would say it's the most Japanese out of all of them, but I never saw the one about tanuki balls.) And it feels like it drags on for a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
:confused: That line is in the movie though? To which the Pagemaster replies "You are an illustration."

it's me, I'm the idiot who enjoys the Pagemaster (though I certainly wouldn't put it on my top 10)

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Detective No. 27 posted:

I saw this at a used toy store today:

Finally, my Cars crossover fanfiction come to life!

(please tell me you bought those they're amazing)

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Oh man, I thought I was the only one. Mars Attacks can go gently caress itself.

edit: Yeah, Terminator 2 was pretty terrifying as a kid too, but it was still a movie I would voluntarily watch, in a horrified fascination sort of way. Mars Attacks was just unpleasant on every level and I have had nightmares about those goddamn cows, man

Squarely Circle fucked around with this message at 06:40 on May 4, 2017

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
How's the newer dub of Totoro? I've heard it's not as good as the one released under Fox (which is the one that I have on VHS) but is it just 'not as great' or is it like actively bad?

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Hemingway To Go! posted:

so I just saw GOG vol 2, which would normally be unrelated, except it shared Lego Batman's message that you don't need a traditional biological family.

I've remembered that the bad message of needing a traditional family has come up a bit in animated movies. There's been plenty of lovely ones like Mars Needs Moms, but also things like Dispicable Me 2 and Boxtrolls from writers you'd think would know better, and probably a bunch of other movies I don't remember right now that the thread's discussed. Like even Tangled the Stepmother is evil and the bio-mother is a good guy and this is a movie that otherwise is trying to talk about how much better it is than princess stories.

It's also surprising that the two movies about nontraditional families come from the superhero genre.

No real point here and I don't really know all the data to make any kind of conclusion, was just thinking about it after the movie.

KFP2 did this too and I'm still salty about it, killed any interest I had in seeing the third one. I've heard it wasn't that great anyway.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
The Little Mermaid is kind of ugly in general, IMO. I do enjoy it, but not for the way it looks.

On the other hand, I watched The Fox and the Hound tonight and dang that film has some beautiful backgrounds (and is just super good overall).

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Halloween is Grinch Night is real good, y'all. Do yourselves a favor and head on over to youtube.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Are the whos in whoville the same microscopic whos that live on a clover blossom in a jungle held by an elephant? Are grinches microscopic?

In Halloween is Grinch Night the Grinch can change his size at will :pseudo:

He can also do extremely rad poo poo with his eyebrows.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

This is incredible

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Pick, I'm prepared to judge your taste in movies entirely on how you came by your current avatar.

In actual animation-related talk... I've been thinking about picking up a copy of Prince of Egypt since the stores around here are kind of promoting it leading up to Easter and all. I haven't seen it since its original theater release, when I was like 8-9 and didn't really appreciate it because yawn, a bible movie but every screenshot and gif I've seen over the years is leading me to believe that it might actually be just about the prettiest 2D animated film in the world.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Pick posted:

I bought it for myself because Phantom of the Paradise is great.

:hfive: Hell yeah.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
:sigh: Well, Walmart took down their Easter movie specials already, so no Prince of Egypt tonight sadly! I was looking forward to it, too.

I also keep meaning to snag both the Rankin/Bass Easter specials on DVD at some point; I still have the old tapes I grew up with but one is more or less unwatchable without a way to adjust the tracking on my VCR. Someday! Those movies were my jam as a kid. That, and... can we talk about muppets/puppets in this thread (considering stop-motion is really just frame-by-frame puppetry? :v:) Can we talk about how freakin' good The Tale of the Bunny Picnic is?

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Neon Noodle posted:

The Chuck Jones version of Mowgli's Brothers is very faithful. :colbert: Oh yeah and Riki Tiki Tavi.

Yeah I remember that part in the book where Kipling described Tabaqui as being lime green, kind of a weird choice but I guess the dude did have some hangups about color. :v:

(don't forget The White Seal, that was a faithful adaptation too!)

It's been a while since I watched it but I didn't care for new Jungle Book, it just felt really bland to me. Like they wanted to do straight up Kipling but they couldn't commit all the way so you're left with something that tries to be both serious and appealing to children and doesn't really have much to say for itself. The thing that makes the old Soviet animation so good (other than the fact that it's just fuckin gorgeous to watch) is that they didn't shy away from the source material and they didn't dumb the main character down. Mowgli in the books is a crafty little badass. Mowgli in the Disney versions is a clueless kid blundering his way through wacky animal adventures.

Anyway, consider: Beemoji Movie

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

CeallaSo posted:

Now, is this the Emoji Movie except all of the emojis are bee emojis, or is it Bee Movie but characters can only communicate through emojis?

Yes.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
One thing I really love about the clock tower scene, visuals aside, is how tense it feels. There's very little dialogue, just music and the constant ticking and grinding of the gears. No more quips from Basil, no more hammy taunting from Ratigan, you know poo poo just got real.

At some point in one of the previous threads I touched on the bear fight scene from Fox and the Hound which I also think is pretty much flawless, and they're pretty similar now that I think about it, being so effective at conveying the tension and terror of fighting for your life in few or no words. Good stuff. Good films. Dark Ages Disney my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Mistakes