Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ConfusedUs posted:

Is it ok that I'm excited for Lego Batman?

Because I am.

That's okay, because the first movie used him pretty drat well so I could see an entire movie about just Lego Batman done alright.

I mean, if you're gonna make a sequel to The Lego Movie, you could do worse.

Also that poster for Book Of Life 2 needs to be on the first page, because drat that would be a cool movie, even if realistically speaking it won't be out until 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

General Dog posted:

I don't think Zootopia was an especially inspired story or concept, but it was the best possible realization of that story and concept, if that makes sense. It was exquisitely made within the confines of modest ambitions.

Modest ambitions from a story telling standpoint, sure, but from a worldbuiliding standpoint Disney went all-in on the concept. Like, how many zones of Zootopia does the story use, compared to how many we saw during the first train ride into the city? How many unique and interesting buildings were just glanced over? How complex and interconnected did they actually make Zootopia's society structure vs how much was actually used to frame the story?

The only thing "modest" about their ambitions was being able to change them and restructure their entire world concept when people rightfully pointed out that the original movie with the collared predators was kinda racist, and instead of scraping the entire idea Disney went and made it a lot more subtle and nuanced which helped the film out a lot I think.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's a little weird that Disney spent enough money to put a man on the Moon building these CGI puppets to mimic realistic physics in great detail so that posing and rendering them from that point on would be click-and-drag simple, and then just photoshop the same half-dozen prerendered cutouts of them over and over for all their promotional material.

Yeah, that is kinda weird, isn't it?

Hasbro and other toy makers would make unique art for every individual Bumblebee toy released this year, along with different art for all the comics, backpacks, calenders, bedsheets, coffee mugs or whatever else they plaster Transformers onto.

While Disney has exactly one picture of Anna from Frozen that is on literally every piece of Frozen merchandise.

Koramei posted:

Yeah I doubt the people making random Christmas promo images to stick on websites and stuff have access to the multi-million dollar computer setup it takes to render the characters properly.

True, but they could at least be given more than one or two pictures, right? Considering how many artists Disney employs it shouldn't be a huge deal to have one take a week to make a variety of poses for merchandise.

It's understandable when the movie is in production, time is limited and everybody is busy, but after the movie's done there should be at least one or two guys with enough time to handle making more poses, right?

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Dec 28, 2016

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What about everyone else? Does any one else in this thread have any Disney direct to video/dvd movie do they enjoy on some level?

The Ducktales movie is alright. Feels like a bigger, longer, better episode of the series, and by that metric is probably one of the best episodes in the series. It's kinda like A Goofy Movie in that regard, though I'd rank that one higher.

But all of the sequels/prequels/midquels/whatever-the-gently caress spinoffs of their big budget releases are terrible, and yes that includes Cinderella 3 which is the closest to good they ever get, and it's still pretty bad.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Is there even a difference nowadays? They seem to get the same budgets and put out pretty remarkably similar work (see: the Planes movies, which are garbage but look on-par with WDAS' stuff if not slightly better than some of it).

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Like honestly if I'd heard that Frozen was by DisneyToon and Planes was WDAS, I would have 100% believed it. The two studios seem basically indistinguishable beyond what they're put to work on.

I'm pretty sure that's because Eisner made DisneyToon pump out the sequels at a breakneck pace for quick returns with no regard for quality, while Lasseter actually gives them the time and resources they need to produce quality films. Hope over to their wiki page and you'll see that they made an insane number of movies between 1998 to 2006, three or four or more per year, but then at 2007 they switch gears and start making around one movie per year.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYHv3GJtjto

What is this? Hype? Am I hyped right now? For Cars 3?

nah not really

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIbvi_fHBG0

Between this and the Lego Frozen movies, I feel like Disney is sliding back into it's DTV ways. Or maybe they never stopped and I just didn't notice?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Each Disney movie has its own aesthetic, something I think is woefully unappreciated by the people who claim they are aping "Disney style".

Correction, every 2D Disney move had their own aesthetic.

All of their recent 3D efforts (Tangled, Frozen, Big Hero 6, Moana) are very similar in style and animation techniques. They each have individual focus (Frozen has it's snow and ice, BH6 is all about lighting, Moana is water and hair) but the underlying groundwork is the same.

Unmature posted:

Nah, I'm approaching it fine. "Cool" means something I like, not that they have a skateboard and a sick 'tude. Every time the show introduces something I like it abandons it to focus on a terrible character like Mob's brother. And the show is very much not about what you said. The first couple episodes were and then it was about boring nonsense. It's a real letdown to go directly from YOI to this.

I will say that the anime does skip a whole bunch of character development stuff so they could pack everything into 12 episodes, so it is a somewhat abridged version of a more fleshed out story. So while the anime is really drat pretty and does cheery pick the best moments, I still prefer the manga.

But if it's not for you then it's not for you, though if you do make it to the end and don't think Reigen's the best then I'm honestly not sure what you are looking for.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

Why does Zootopia not count as a recent 3D effort from Disney?

Sorry, was mostly thinking of how human characters look. But yeah Zootopia counts too.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I would buy that collection just for Prince of Egypt in HD.

Please tell me where I can dispense money to get these goods and services.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

CeallaSo posted:

And yeah Bolin does get better. If you skipped the last two seasons of Korra, you missed out on what made that show worth watching. Season 3 was phenomenal.

Season 3 was far and away much better than Season 2, but didn't live up to the hype of Season 1, which itself was maybe a third as good as the original series. I stopped watching after season 3 because, honestly, the show completely lost me, it had so much potential but didn't live up to any of it, and the ending just left me bitter. The Wan episodes were the best, though.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U496dSv2k_g

I really think the original movie looks better. It just has so much more soul

Ugh.

Last time my sister was here we talked about this movie, and she was looking forward to it while I was badmouthing it, and I don't remember how the conversation went but basically she said "well what do you even want from a live action Beauty and the Beast?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4thpfJpBYjk

Some imagination, some colours, a new story, nothing much really.

She agreed with me after seeing this trailer, the Disney reboot looks boring.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

I'd say LEGO Movie is still the better movie and has more legitimate heart etc but this one is prettier and way way funnier.

Whoa, man, I dunno, LEGO Movie is loving hysterical, I'm not really sure another movie is even allowed to be funnier. Like, they had a non-sequitur where Han Solo flew by to pick up Batman, how can LEGO Batman be funnier than that?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

...well gently caress I guess I better watch Trolls now because that song was hilarious.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Just got back from late night Lego Batman. Nobody warned me that the movie would be so gay. Incredibly gay. Fabulously gay. The crux of the entire plot of the movie is super, super gay. It's gayer than the old Batman comics showing Bruce and Dick waking up in the same bed together. I swear the ending dance sequence is a from a Richard Simmons workout video. Parents who got mad at Paranorman for the one gay joke at the end are gonna have their heads explode watching this movie. It's amazing and I love it.

As suspected, it's not nearly as funny as The Lego Movie, but that's a really high loving bar to set and coming up short of that still makes for an incredibly funny movie, like, funnier than basically any other movie I saw in 2016. And the action setpieces are fantastic, but it's really the emotional stuff that hits holds it all together. Every other Batman movie is happy to have Batman brood over his actions and whether he's making Gotham better or not, but I don't think any of them have him grow as a character as much as this one does. It's funny because everything about Lego Batman is a metatextual reading of the character's history, which means they actually delve deeper into Batman's internal struggles better than any other Batman movie ever has.

So, yeah, this is pretty much one of the best Batman movies ever. It works as a loving tribute, it works as a standalone film, it works as a hysterical comedy, it works as a meditation on loneliness, it just works really, really well as a Batman movie.

Hedrigall posted:

Something clicked for me watching the Cars 3 trailer for the second time and now I really want to see it? I don't know, I just really could get into a high-adrenaline racing film

Go watch Redline.

Cars 2 is not worth it, watch Redline instead.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

Did you realize that the "family" picture that Robin takes also has Joker represented in the background? So Joker is part of the "family".

I did, actually!

Samuel Clemens posted:

You didn't watch the trailer?

I didn't, actually!

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Do they set up any kind of future Lego Justice League movie?

Nope! Though there is a cute Superfriend's joke

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Shadow Hog posted:

Except Go Go Tomago in the middle there; she kinda stands out and I'm not sure why she was lumped in here.

Except she doesn't stand out and fits right in? She's obviously more ethnic than Rapunzel or Elsa, but so is Moana, and they all look like they belong to the same movie. They all have variations in facial structure, hair styles and skin tones, but the actual aesthetic is the same.

Macaluso posted:

Sure. But Pixar is guilty of the same thing and I never see those same complaints about them.

Because they do put in the work to make their movies feel different from each other even when the base CGI foundation is similar. You'd never confuse characters from The Incredibles for characters from Up or Wall-E because they all have very distinct designs, and what's more they have more variety in their settings, with Cars and Ratatouille and Monster's Inc. all having way more variety in their designs because they simply don't have many humans so they can go all out.

We're not talking about the basic similarities of CGI because even now we've only just barely started breaking away from having every CGI movie look the same, we're talking about the aesthetics of those CGI movies, and Disney is really being pretty bad about having one very limited, unified aesthetic.

Hedrigall posted:

There's literally nothing wrong with Disney developing a house style: it unifies their brand, it will be kind of a signature of this era of their output, and really there's tons of variation, I mean compare Maui to Elsa to Nick Wilde to Wreck It Ralph to to to

Yeah, it's not a bad thing, it's not affecting the quality of their output and probably is saving them quite a bit of money having one specific style so artist can jump from feature to feature and not have to be retrained on how each movie is supposed to look and feel, it's mostly just disappointing when you compare the way Disney handled their traditional animation to now and seeing the huge variety they used to have narrow down to a set palette of specific design principles that are deemed the "most appealing" and "safest".

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

I'd go further than that:
'here, we made a movie with non-whites and oh also women' is incredibly subversive in the trumpian landscape

Is that really a risk when it's coming from the company that built it's empire on the Princess Movie?

EDIT: I mean I guess that could apply to Star Wars VII, maybe, but that's Star Wars, even the prequels were massive successes so just being better than those movies would make them money printers regardless of casting choices.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

"Most Disney princesses wear a ring. This Princess dominates one."

- Punch -
coming 2019

Opening montage is a song about making it to the top set to the beat of KO'ing opponents.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Macaluso posted:

I'll say it again, the biggest problem with HTTYD2 was they had the funeral scene at the WORST point in the movie. It's impossible to get caught up in that scene and take it in at all cause you want them to just hurry up and save Toothless

I thought the biggest problem was that it was literally taking every negative pre-conception of dragons Hiccup had worked on proving wrong and reversing it all point by point?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
why

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

You think it's a funny idea to put udders on male cows, Hollywood, but you don't know what obsessions you're unwittingly birthing in the dark corners of the internet

you don't know

they knew

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There's like a 100% chance this was unintentional, but it kind of feels like the main character of Barnyard was meant to be a transman. He has an udder and no horns, but uses "he/him" pronouns and has a male voice actor. Also, part of the story involves him learning to be more mature so he can be a good parent to his pregnant girlfriends child even though he isn't the calfs biological father.

Actual dialogue from the film:

Dad: I remember when I used to come out here with your sister.

Son: But I don't have a sister?

Dad: Oh, right, that was you.

they knew

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
All I remember about Titan A.E. was that I thought Farscape did everything that movie did but better.

I don't even remember Farscape nowadays, was that one any good? I used to think it was good but I haven't thought about it in years.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I remember that much at least.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
General reminder that the Oscar's work on a ranked voting system:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfIxihGOaQ8

There is basically no chance in hell anything other than Disney/Pixar's biggest movie is going to win Best Animated, particularly since animation is still a second-class film category that gets no respect from the academy's voting base, so most voters would just fill in one or two of the nominations and leave the rest blank, since they never saw the "obscure Chinese poo poo" that make up the other nominees in theatres.

EDIT: Though I do find it funny that this video explicitly calls out La La Land as the Best Picture winner with Moonlight as the underdog. And given the gently caress up they had I wouldn't be surprised if there's a significant number of people out there who think that La La Land won.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 27, 2017

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

PenguinKnight posted:

98 is The Prince of Egypt Mulan (goddamn i am blind)

No, no Prince of Egypt is the right choice.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I feel compelled to share a favorite of mine from two years later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1S5pAF1YYA

Huh. I always thought this was a Cordell Barker short, since it's pretty similar to his style. (he's the guy who did The Cat Came Back)

By the by, the NFB has almost all their animation streaming online if you're looking for more animated shorts.
Start with Barker's Strange Invaders and get lost in animation for a couple hours.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

This is the CN weekly schedule for this week. I think we could use a little more variety, yeah.

Wow, kids today have it rough. Hey, wanna watch cartoons on Saturday morning!? Hope you like four solid hours of Teen Titans Go!

gently caress, when I was a kid I'd have at least four channels worth of cartoons I'd be jumping between, hell I'd switch to another channel during commercials and then get absorbed in another show and miss out on the one I was watching. Between Disney, YTV, Teletoon and Fox I was spoiled for choice cartoons.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

Oh and I finally got cable in like grade 10 but by then I thought I was too cool for cartoons, what a stupid idiot :rolleyes:

When I was in grade 10 I discovered that YTV aired it's saturday morning cartoons starting at 2am and repeated them till 2pm, so I'd watch all the friday night anime followed by a trip to the store to pick up a slushie so I'd still be awake to watch cartoons in the early am's until they started to repeat around 7am. Reruns of ReBoot and Beast Wars filled in the time between anime ending and cartoons beginning.

God I wish I had that much free time now that I have decent internet access.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Land Before Time I understand. Kids like dinosaurs, it's a universal constant. You have any idea how badly you have to gently caress up a dinosaur movie for kids not to like it? It can probably be done, but I don't know how.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
TOP TEN LISTS OH BOY

The Prince of Egypt
Spirited Away
The Lego Movie
Finding Nemo
All Dogs Go To Heaven
The Iron Giant
Pinocchio
The Nightmare Before Christmas
The Great Mouse Detective
The Wallace and Gromit collection (since just the movie isn't enough)

My list is less "these are movie I think are the best" and more "I have a niece and these are the movies I'm most excited to show her"

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Aces High posted:

You're most excited to show her Pinocchio?

... yes?

Are you not excited to show kids early Disney movies? Basically all of them age like fine wine and it's fun to see little kids watch movies that can capture their imagination. I picked Pinocchio as a "if I had to pick one" thing but basically everything Disney made before the 1980's is something I want to share, but that doesn't make for an interesting list. Plus I'm pretty sure her mother is going to beat me to the punch on most of those movies anyway, excluding Bambi naturally.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

Yesss, let's all rewatch Balto

what day? we get a stream going and a discord setup and I'm there

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hedrigall posted:

Realistically i probably can't because of time zones and work and other stuff :\

/=

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
On the one hand, I think it's silly to say that only the creators are allowed to make a sequel to a story.

On the other hand, I'd rather look for it myself than have it shoved in my face. And honestly the only fan fiction I've ever seen that could be considered as good as the source material is that one Avatar fan comic I read ages ago... and that was made by one of the show's creator's, anyway.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Robindaybird posted:

It's why poo poo like Pokemon Uranium, or 'Thomas the Tank Engine is a Fascist Hellhole' fan theories infuriate them. There's nothing wrong with exploring the possibly darker edge of base concepts (Everyone in the world is carrying physical gods that enjoy fighting - so what keeps one psycho from going nuts with it?, Sapient machines relying on the mercy of their creators), but they're never done with nuance or thought, it's always with a veneer of 'see, this really isn't childish, it's mature and deep and I'm a perfectly grown up adult person and not a manchild for liking this'

Personally, I always attributed this to inexperience on the authors part more than anything. These kind of stories can be done, and done well, I've seen it happen, but only ever from authors with years worth of mediocre to bad stories filling out their portfolio. Nobody just starts typing their perfect story out of the gate, it takes a long time and many failures to get to that point, and we get the joy of reading those failures in the form of "hey, like, what if Zootopia actually did have shock collars, wouldn't that be kinda hosed up?"

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just sorry it didn't win Best Picture. Would've been hilarious that the movie about blue tiger people fighting mechs in space with the plot from Dancing With Wolves won the highest honours at the awards. Be an excellent quiz question too.

"What movie won the 2009 academy awards?"
"Oh gently caress, I know this one, I just can't remember it..."

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

You all have one guess for who wrote the Captain Underpants Theme Song and if you get it wrong you were clearly never a 10 year old.

It's Weird Al.

Okay, as somebody who has no knowledge of Captain Underpants beyond there being a series called Captain Underpants, this is amazing and delightful.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The live action Beauty and the Beast film is still raking in cash and is just a tad over $1.2 billion worldwide and a tad short of $500 million domestic. That makes it the 8th biggest domestic film of all time and the 11th biggest film worldwide (unadjusted).

And this is super depressing. We need Unmature to make a video essay on the animation ghetto and why live-action remakes are consistently terrible yet make billions simply living off the name of an animated movie that never got nearly as much money or respect from the public simply because it's animated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Unmature posted:

Dude, I work with kids and the amount of parents that say something like "I'm glad they make these because they won't watch the old cartoons" is upsetting.

:psyduck:

As a kid who grew up on a healthy stream of cartoons older than my own parents, this makes no loving sense.

... then again I watched all of those cartoons cause they were on TV, and TV is dead now, so maybe that's why?

Pick posted:

The old ones require an attention span rabble rabble *yells at Microsoft Cloud*

BatB is significantly shorter as an animated movie, so attention span definitely isn't the problem.