Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'll stand by my prediction that Zootopia will win the Oscar, with Kubo, Moana, Pets, and Finding Dory being the runner-ups. Maybe replace Pets with Sausage Party if the Academy is feeling raunchy on that particular day.

Eh, I don't know. I love Jackie Chan more than any sane person should, but voice acting has never been his forte.

I don't think either Dory or Pets is going to be nominated. There's actually a few international animated films that stand a good chance at a nomination, in part because the Animation branch now has a weird voting system that favors artier animated films and filters out the mainstream stuff that isn't strongly liked. I loved Finding Dory, but it doesn't seem to be lighting anyone's world on fire. Secret Life of Pets made a lot of money, but nobody really cares about it. The Red Turtle is very likely to be nominated, and then there's a few other critically acclaimed titles, including April and the Extraordinary World, My Life as a Zucchini, and Your Name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Mierenneuker posted:

One Perfect Shot posted about this compilation which I've dubbed "Hey Disney, keep those wide shots coming".

https://vimeo.com/199552390

What I get from this is that The Hunchback of Notre Dame has some of the most utterly beautiful shots I've ever seen, holy poo poo. It's been so long since I've seen it, and when I did see it, I wasn't a film fan and couldn't really apprehend how impressive the filmatic elements were.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I saw Moana on Friday, finally. It's...better that Zootopia, by a significant margin, and I liked Zootopia a lot. I can see why some people have a problem with it - it takes forever to get off the island. A script guru would be flipping out at this. But it works for the movie, I think. Great songs! How Far I'll Go is a deserving Oscar nominee, and I wish it would beat one of the La La Land songs, but it won't. :smith:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I don't know what it says about me that The Fox and the Hound and The Great Mouse Detective were my two favorite Disney movies for most of my childhood. I just connected with them on a level I never connected with any of the films from the "Disney revival" except maybe Lion King (but I still considered that #3 behind my main two).

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

what's hilarious about Anastasia is that everyone I've ever had a conversation about it with initially thinks it was a Disney movie, and is SHOCKED when I tell them it wasn't.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

by that token, one could ask why humans have any investment in bringing back animal species from the brink of extinction.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Right, but then the actual problem: the film's literal message is that you should raise your child as as if she were a corporation. And vice-versa. It's corporate personhood taken to an extreme.

This is certainly how you've chosen to interpret it, but in the real world a lot of people have used it as an object lesson in how repressing sadness and trying to just be happy all the time is deeply unhealthy, and that sadness is a primary driver of empathy. sure, every Disney movie is pro-corporate propaganda, from a certain angle, but it's also possible to just try to take a positive message unrelated to raising children like corporations.

I mean, how is "sadness is an important emotion, and stifling it has been bad for society" a bad message? for most people that even bother thinking about Inside Out on more than a surface level, that's the big takeaway, and I think that's positive. :colbert:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

True, some people take it quite far. Have you heard of Gaea, the award winning scifi trilogy by John Varley?

John Varley is an unabashedly weird dude, and I highly recommend his work. in the last book of that trilogy, the villain is an ancient alien with godlike powers that has made herself look like Marilyn Monroe, but gigantic. so, yeah! Several of his books also take place in a future where sex changes are easy and anyone can get them if they have the money.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Troposphere posted:

please do not get me started with how horrible emmy rossum was in phantom because I will never stop

it wasn't her fault she was horribly miscast just like everyone else in that movie who wasn't patrick wilson but she was incredibly bad and probably wouldn't have been much better as belle

gerard butler would have been a fun gaston tho. fun fact the guy who played gaston in the animated movie played the phantom in the lesser known phantom musical by yeston and kopit, the more you know.

my dad thinks Emmy Rossum is a better singer in the movie than Sarah Brightman in general. PEOPLE HAVE CRAZY OPINIONS.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Das Boo posted:

I've been asked to carry along a message on behalf of Pick! She wants to know if y'all think she should see Boss Baby. And then make a Bee Movie-style thread about it.

Okay, I made up that last part but :allears:.

YES. :3:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

top ten family-friendly animated films

1. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
2. The Iron Giant
3. Fantastic Mr. Fox
4. Lilo & Stitch
5. Rango
6. The Incredibles
7. Coraline
8. WALL-E
9. My Neighbor Totoro
10. A Town Called Panic

this is my aesthetic.

I loved The Great Mouse Detective and The Fox and the Hound, but the last time I saw either, I hadn't yet graduated from high school.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

That's a drat good list, and it's nice to see I'm not the only one who treasures A Town Called Panic.

it's a rambling anarchic shaggy dog story told as if by a child with no sense of what does and doesn't make sense. I love anarchic comedy.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I appreciate Zootopia a lot less after CERTAIN EVENTS in the last year and change since it came out. but it's interesting because of what it dances around and refuses to touch, more interesting at least than the films that don't touch it at all. Like, a lot of PIXAR films assiduously avoid anything really dangerous. Zootopia pokes its head in the direction of something really incendiary, then backs out of it.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

I'm the fifth quackdrant of movie marketing

ftfy

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I think I may double feature Wonder Woman and Captain Underpants tomorrow. should be legit. only question is, in what order?

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

Antz is so loving weird. For a while when I wanted to get a rise out of animation fans I would say I preferred it to A Bug's Life. Then I realized I wasn't actually kidding. I don't know if Antz is GOOD in the same way A Bug's Life is good, but it's more interesting. It's got more going on under the hood, as it were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

I was talking with my dad about Disney movies, and I can't remember what he asserted was the worst Disney movie, but I was like instantly "no, that's not the worst one". and he's like "no, it is". And I'm like, "do you remember The Black Cauldron?". and he's like "oh yeah, that was baaaad." Also mentioned Atlantis, and he cringed.