Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Avshalom posted:

i am exquisitely animated. in conversation my face achieves the maximum of squash and stretch with every contorted syllable i pronounce. my lines are thick and smooth, my silhouette strong, my bones viscous and my palette pretty as a peach. i end every sexual encounter with a dance party and everyone you know is there just dancing, dancing, anonymously dancing sans speech or expression, they could be anyone, they could be strangers, they could be communists

Welcome to 2017, Animation Thread! As the title might suggest, this is where we discuss animated movies of all ilk! So if you’re looking for recommendations, missed gems, thematic discussion… or if you wanna just gush over Zootopia again (I’m looking at you, you know it’s you), BOY HOWDY are you in the right place!
So let’s see what 2017 has in store for us, shall we?

Animal Crackers
(???)

(No… Official Trailer Yet?)
This one has been phasing in and out of release dates for a while. Maybe this year? Maybe next? It was slated for January 13, but y'know.

The Lego Batman Movie
(February 10, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGQUKzSDhrg
After the surprise success of The Lego Movie, the legendarily assholish voice of Will Arnett will be returning for his own film about him where he is the main character. And also Batman. This is a good thing, you see.

Rock Dog (February 24, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BcG14OSB-k
God al-loving-mighty, this looks banal.

Boss Baby
(March 31, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ud8j5GaqH3c
Well, gently caress.

Smurfs: The Lost Village (April 7, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu1qZCG6Yo8
WAIT, WAIT, THIS ISN’T WHAT YOU’RE THINKING! This is actually a fully animated Smurfs movie. No New York City. No goth smurfs. It could be alright! I mean, at least it didn’t get shot coming out the gate by goddamn rapping Smurfs!

Spark
(April 14, 2017)

(No Trailer Yet)
Space animal revolution. Also there is a monkey which, according to the 90's, is "good enough."

The Nut Job 2 (May 19, 2017)

(No Trailer Yet)
Hey, lookit. Ratatouille found work. Rat named Ratatouille, right there he is. (This is another supposed release. Nothing concrete yet and the date is totally arbitrary.)

Captain Underpants
(June 2, 2017)

(No Trailer Yet)
I remember all the kids two grades below me being super into these books. I am an old, old lady.

Cars 3 (June 16, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suv-5HOi6pc
I am so mad and angry.

Despicable Me 3
(July 30, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DBi41reeF0
Gru battles the 80’s, delivered unto this world in the unholy vessel that is Trey Parker. Villain looks great, but a lot of folks here consider the 2nd film to be a misstep on a good message. Cautiously optimistic. Also, hey, the poster’s not completely yellow. You get me?

The Emoji Movie
(August 4, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_p5ODo2viM
Haha, why yes, Sir! There is a poo emoji! How very delightful!

The Lego Ninjago Movie (September 25, 2017)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EK9x0MGI3U
I don't know anything about Ninjago other than it's a franchise on CN that my nephew likes. Ninjas ninjaing and Legos are a given. There also appears to be a Jackie Chan in the mix.

The Lamb
(November 10, 2017)

A nativity movie. This article is all I can find on it for now.

Coco (November 22, 2017)

(No Trailer Yet)
We still don’t know a ton about Coco. The theme of the film is Dia de los Muertos and it’s about a boy named Miguel. I myself am hoping for the stylistic energy of Book of Life with less pop culture and more consistency.

Ferdinand (December 22, 2017)

(No Trailer Yet)
I'm sure like many of you, this book and the Disney short were a beloved part of my childhood. I can't say I'm terribly excited to see how Blue Sky will extend this story to feature length, though. Regardless, it's about a gentle bull in bull-fighting Spain.

A MLP movie (Oct. 6) and the rest, here on :smuggo: Isle.

It's, uh... Well, it's certainly looking to be a year, folks.
I'll add the missing trailers as they show up.

Das Boo fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

This isn't showing until 2017 in my area. Anyone seen it yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mITX2U00yq8

Part of me was really hoping this'd turn into At the Mountains of Madness.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

ERRYBODY DEAD!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Zootopia was cute, but I admit I'm a little baffled at how highly it's regarded here.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

CRINDY posted:

Gonna sperg out in response to what the header got wrong (I don't mean wrong in a dick way, it's good, just needs updates, thank you for making the thread Das Boo!)

-Animal Crackers looks like it'll come out someday but it sure as hell isn't making January 13. I'd think it'd be used as filler for a Lionsgate or Open Road during a lull period later in the year like Labor Day or something.
-Rock Dog on Feb. 24 is missing and while it doesn't look good, it's notable
-Something called Spark is coming April 14 from Open Road, it's apparently a Journey To The West-inspired monkey and other anthropomorphic animals fight a dictator in space movie. It stars Patrick Stewart, Hilary Swank, Jessica Beal and Susan Sarandon.
-I won't believe The Nut Job 2 is happening until I see actual footage. For now, I can safely say the Youtube link in the header is for a trailer for the first one.
-Blazing Samurai has been pushed to "2018" without any specific date. The main animation company on it went under earlier this year, and I assume odds are 50/50 it ever makes it to screen at this point, depends on how far into production they were.
-Ninjago comes out Sept. 25 and it's a LEGO movie. Pros: Jackie Chan. Cons: Property is pretty kiddie.
-My Little Pony comes out Oct. 6 and as I type this I'm realizing why it wasn't mentioned.
-Sony is releasing an animated Nativity Story on Nov. 10 apparently. They fast-tracked it and slid it up the release schedule so it could be OK? I doubt it. Thought I saw the voice cast announced but can't find the link.
-Blue Sky is releasing The Story of Ferdinand, about the bull who doesn't want to bullfight, at Christmas.

I'm rollin' around with sickness, but I sincerely, honestly appreciate corrections! I'll fix poo poo when my head's on straight.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I have never been able to make it through a Disney sequel. If I am alone at home, I will be so embarrassed by what I'm watching I'll have to switch it off.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm afraid by posting in the Animation thread, you have forfeited the right to ever feel shame or embarassment.

We all gotta draw the line somewhere. Sometimes it's Disney sequels, sometimes it's fetishy counterfeit Flash games. Sometimes it's... more dire.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Neeksy posted:

Zootopia Dentist Game for iPhone by Xiaozheng Games?

I'm sure Zoo's a fright, but I was moreso reminiscing on steering my five year-old niece through a minefield of Frozen games the other year. Sooooo many pregnant Elsa feet... :barf:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

I think that would have worked, but ultimately that's cheaper than "Yes, you CAN totally become happy by eating trolls, but there are better ways."

The eating trolls bit was this incredibly morbid undercurrent and I loved it. There's never any question that eating trolls makes you feel amazing.

Yay, you have your big cats avatar back! Now I'll be able to recognize you again! :3:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So, like... does anyone actually enjoy watching a cartoon character dance? And I'm talking the typical dance party dance. I understand enjoying watching the ballet in Duet, or Esmeralda's festival dance, or sweeping ballroom dances like Sleeping Beauty or B&tB, but I've never quite gotten the fun of watching dancing animations of a character, segregated, doing a dance party dance.
I think the divide for me is the former pertain to personality and emotion and the latter is devoid of it. You could swap out any character doing those dance party animations and it wouldn't change jack poo poo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Haledjian posted:

At least one guy has built a little internet career out of it.

I'll have you know I make total exception for gloomph bouncing!

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

21 Muns posted:

If you don't like the dance party dance, why did you make it your avatar? :colbert:

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

if you wanna fill five minutes at the end without having to expend much effort and without having to look like you're just filling time there's worse ways to go than all your characters looping through a little animation while some licensed music plays

He is dancing to- *checks public domain list*- Happy Birthday.

(I'm really having a hard time thinking of a worse way to go out without a character having a five minute long fart, though.)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I watched Only Yesterday with my mother and sister around Christmas. It was everyone's first time seeing it and we all really enjoyed it and related to it. It kinda struck me how candidly and genuinely it captured moments in a girl's childhood and the ruminations and conversations a woman has on it. I know it's originally based on a manga, but the sincerity of the emotion remained intact enough to still resonate strongly with three women from three different age groups. I think that speaks favorably for Takahata, because I've seen how a lot of our adaptations of female characters go just... so loving awry.
So I started thinking about how well these two old Japanese dudes from Ghibli write and portray women, and how they treat them like characters before just female. It really makes me happy, but also a little sad as it feels like such a rarity that I'm marveling over it when it's actually done. I just really wish this rubbed off on Western film in general.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Woah, Avshalom just outted himself as Don Bluth.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Might as well end the thread right there, honestly. We're not gonna top that.

I'll compromise. After work, I'll finally fix my OP and slap that quote up, first thing.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
But it speaks for us all. And so completely.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Drifter posted:

Shoulda had a dance party.

Villager: And you're the best dancer in the village! Come, show us!
Villagers, in unison: SHOW US.
Grandpa: Well... OKAY!
*Kung Fu Fighting cranks up*

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
OP is updated. Y'all let me know of any further changes and I'll try to keep on it because if the last 20 years have proved anything it's that I'm oblivious as poo poo.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Drifter posted:

Did Cars 2 continue from cars one, or was it mostly standalone from the McQueen story?

This is what Studio Ghibli's doing these days? Is there an A team and a B team?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRRNrqqfMgA

Rona: The Robber's Daughter looks terrible. That animation is awful.

The absolute lack of secondary is really throwing me. Is the hair even rigged?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I've fallen out non-cinematic anime these last few years, but Monster, Samurai Champloo and Paranoia Agent remain real good.
I also have a soft spot for Madoka Magica due in a large part to them collage witches and that silhouetted fight sequence. :swoon:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Waffleman_ posted:

Monster is so good, but Viz has given up on it in the west, so it's not legally available anywhere. Gotta go that deep web that daaaark web.

A part of me hopped at one time this was because of licensing issues with Del Toro developing it as an HBO series. Which wow, I thought that might actually happen at some point. I managed to catch its one run on Sci-Fi which was nice, because it was extremely my mom's poo poo and she has trouble with the right-to-left manga format.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I still have a lot of fondness for Madoka Magica even though I largely stay away from anime.
I kind of wish I could share it or talk about it more but I don't hang around anime/animation interested people, and the ones who do like animation HATE depressing stories.

Depressing animation is the best animation and I'm sorry for your plight. It was a real gas recommending it to fellow animation studentS. It always came with my very strong warning of "WATCH THREE EPISODES BEFORE YOU DECIDE."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
The anime wasn't quite on par of course, but it stuck to the source material like glue and is still a step above for it. Comics are a bit freer in terms of budget and pacing and like you said, Monster as a manga was gorgeously honed in on being a page turner. I even bought that first volume at the height of my teen "all my media must be cute" phase and still devoured it in an hour. Plus Urasawa just really nails the perfect expressions for each panel. :allears:
It's a manga I really want to recommend to Western comic fans but drat if it isn't hard to get around that stigma.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Unmature posted:

Those new collections they've been putting out for the last couple years are absolutely worth it. Big investment now, but I got each of them as they came out and could not wait for the next volume each time.

Oh hell, I got my complete set during their first US run. I could not keep out of that poo poo! This last Christmas I just finished out my 20th Century Boys collection and I'll have an easy wrap up with Pluto. It's good to know they're still publishing Monster though, in the very likely event one of my volumes fall apart. I started buying them...

It was 13 years ago now. :staredog:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I saw that live-action Rocky and Bullwinkle as a kid and remember thinking it was pretty funny and alright. How much of that is "kid don't know what bad is?"

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I finally got to see Moana last night and really enjoyed it. Enjoyed the characters, the scenery, the music and this is one of the very few instances where I didn't hate the sidekick. (I was very surprised the pig wasn't in the majority of the movie as it seemed like the sort of design made to be adorable and sell merch. But Heihei is Gobbles from South Park, so that's fine n' dandy with me. It came across as a little hectic, but that didn't bother me as much as the absolute emptiness that was Frozen. It didn't seem quite so transparently calculated to push out and market. The world felt full and meticulously crafted with a lot of the unnecessary details that give a lived-in feel. And drat, have they nailed hair. Lovely, lovely hair. Definitely looking forward to owning it so I can pour over the minutiae.

I also realized that this is probably going to be the only film I see in theaters this year. Maybe Coco, depending? This is such a goddamn empty year.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
So I've notice something odd with early Pixar: A staggered blink. One lid follows the other halfway through the motion. Noticed it in Toy Story and A Bug's Life. This a processing power thing?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I hope you know you just ushered in the new FedEx arrow.

IT'S WEIRD, RIGHT?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Unmature posted:

It was just a thing they did to make things look a little off and lively. I remember them talking about it a lot back on early DVD features and stuff. Like when a Muppet isn't talking but it's moving a little. Makes it look less robotic.

So it was intentional? Weird, it looks off to me. I know in CG animation they'll sometimes recommend a slight stagger (say 1 frame) on lids to, like you said, keep it from looking robotic, but I think they might have overdone it early on as there are a few scenes wherein a rapid blink just loses all communication. I was going to go look for a clip where Woody's reacting to something in TS1 and it looks like he's having a seizure, only to find out this is a well-documented thing aptly named the Pixar Blink. By the time TS2 rolls around it's present, but less prominent. I need to go through the old catalogue to find the point where it stops being a distraction to me. Distraction in the way the Wilhelm scream is, I mean. "Oh, there it was."

Build-a-Boar posted:

It's extremely creepy, that's something I've never liked with Pixar along with the horrible way they render skin. Like squishy smooth pink sacs of.. liquid.. eugh

Every time I think about skin rendering, I think about how animators avoid giving women wrinkles because robot dolls are preferable to a human lady. Then I get sad.
Then I think of Darla Dimple's expressions and I'm okay again.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pick posted:

No you won't, you are sick

And you are a very responsible employee for choosing not to infect your co-workers.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
You could put Hopps and Rapunzel together and with a wardrobe switch in either direction, they could easily come from the same stylistic universe. Hell, put a newsboy on Pascal, a coat on Sven and a T and shorts on Pua. They'd right at home in Zoo. If you ignore the "no domestics" rule, Mochi would blend right in too. And the focus of Zoo was fur, so it fits.
Maximus would be a bounty hunter.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Thread took a turn and I don't need eyes.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I wonder if The Emoji Movie will end with a dance party where the main characters raaaaaaaap.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Dear Diary,

Today I heist an internet person.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Every time you guys mention Trolls I'm immediately thinking Troll 2 and I absently smile.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Build-a-Boar posted:

I'm extremely amused that they all have nice concept art pieces selected to represent the movies, except they couldn't muster even the effort for that for the forgettable trash heap that was Monsters Vs Aliens.

I was dating a guy at the point when this and Up were in theaters. I wanted to see Up and he refused, saying he didn't like Pixar. Insisted it was Monsters Vs. Aliens or nothing. Then he made me go with him to see X-Men Origins, got really pissed when I couldn't stop laughing at it and dumped me. Then wanted to date me again.

It was a strange spring.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I remember really enjoying it as a kid. Thought it was rich and pretty, plus THERE IS A CAT. OH MY GOD, THERE ARE MORE CATS.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Roxanne shoulda had gloves.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
That behind-the-scenes feature was really neat. And them character designs was baller as gently caress! :swoon:

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I am... sincerely super surprised Dory got cut. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I spoiled my mom on Ghibli and now any time I show her something animated, she says "I liked it, but I liked the one with the little people better." :allears: And speaking of which, any further news on that film Miyazaki supposedly came out of retirement for?

And a follow-up on this

Unmature posted:

Researching John Kricfalusi after this week's events is making me feel really gross.
is still very much wanted. What happened.