Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Pixeltendo posted:

Did anyone ever see those 2 Tarzan DTV movies?

I think I saw the first one back when it was new. It was based on on the TV spinoff that I completely forgot about till right now (Remember how much Disney pushed Tarzan as a franchise? All that's left is the Treehouse in Disneyland, and I wouldn't be too surprised if they rethemed it after The Jungle Book once the sequel comes around). I'm pretty sure it was just a clip show that ended with Tarzan and Jane getting married or something. Don't think I liked it even back then, and you'd have to pay me to watch it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Is it this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNtP_faKziU

Cause if it isn't, then there's two out there. And that isn't good for this thread's thesis.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Unmature posted:

Has anyone read most or all of the recent Samurai Jack comic?

The IDW ones? They're excellent. Fun, funny, great looking, and play with the format almost as well as the TV show did. I recommend it to pretty much everyone in this thread.

Edit: Exhibit A

B

SomeJazzyRat fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 2, 2017

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Unmature posted:

Is there any kind of overarching plot? Or is it just episodic like most of the TV show? Does it progress the lore of the first four seasons?

From what I remember (It's been like 2 years since I've looked at them), it's a number of multi-part stories with the occasional one offs, all of which are (for the most part) disconnected from one another. So it can go from a five part epic to a two part bit of fluff to a poignant one shot then back again, with no real through line between them. The goal seemed to be recapturing the feeling of the show in the format of sequential art. To the extent that, if you were to adapt them directly, they would feel right at home between two random episodes. Still probably best to read in order of issue number, but don't get too hung up on it. The most 'lore' heavy they go is to reintroduce characters like The Scotsman and The Thief, but otherwise the most they expect you to know is already in the expository intro.

The only other thing of note is that it ends on what could've been a fantastic note to end the entire saga, but then Tartakovski had to go make a 5th season. Jerk.

Also, check out the Powerpuff Girls comic from around that time (obviously pre-reboot). It took a very similar faithfulness to it's source, but told it's story in a somewhat more serialized fashion, akin to the superhero comics the series was inspired by. And the surprisingly decent Mr. Peabody and Sherman (technically) movie tie in comic from around that same time. The art had an almost Anime, almost Alt-Comic, almost New Yorker style to it, with decently humorous writing to it.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Right at the bottom too, so they can catch them at a young age.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Fo sho 'Das Boo posted:

Well Barrytoa hasn't always been this glam.
I was a drab little bug once!
But then I went and boned a giantess human
Because she's beautiful, honey!

Ooo! I wanna try!

Not Das Boo posted:

Did your boyfriend always say "Hello Bee"
"Leave my girlfriend alone you prick"
Well good sir, only she can give me what I need
To ride my dick.
I'd rather be a Bee!

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Can we make another viral poster about the next Disney Princess, whose a baby possum (discovered in a vending machine) who lives in the Disney Animation offices?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
"She broke in, stole their food... And their hearts"

"She was a theif, she was weak, barely a week old... she had what it took to make a queen."

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Animation Thread 2017: Secretly the designated Furry thread BTW

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Hold on got to rewatch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nH6ya5g2-s

Yea, that's the good stuff.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

ConfusedUs posted:

I know it's something of heresy around these parts, but I genuinely like the Despicable Me/Minions movies. I 100% recognize that only the first DM movie crosses that line from "enjoyable" to "objectively good movie," but both DM2 and Minions were squarely in that "enjoyable" category for me.

Gru is awesome. Dr. Nefario is awesome. The girls are awesome. Lucy is...okay. I must have the attention span of a gnat because the Minions usually make me laugh rather than groan. And I love the crazy super-villains across the board, what with how they borrow everything absurd from comics, pulp novels, James Bond, and more.

The recent Despicable Me 3 trailer is extremely my poo poo.

Recently having seen the Despicable Mthree trailer, I almost would say I'm interested if it weren't for the Despicable Me connection. Focusing completely on Trey Parker's character was a nice touch, especially with a gimmick and performance (both animation and voice wise) that I can get behind. Even the 'Naked infront of an office party' gag kinda worked for me, if for the sheer commitment in trying to diffuse the awkwardness/embarrassment. It kinda reminds me of the fact that there were aspects of the first two films I did like. But Kirsten Wiig's character comes in, and I say this liking Kirsten Wiig and not inherently hating the concept of her character, and then the minions, and I'm reminded of why I dislike the high effort, lack of motivation that pervades Illumination.

Plus I got to say it, Pig's snouts aren't noses, Sing.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm legit concerned that the Academy Awards broke this thread inexplicably.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Das Boo posted:

I'm not terribly enthused with the Oscar wins. Not because I think any of the film's were bad, but because the predictability reminds me the Oscars wound up being Hollywood patting itself on the bad for films that remind them of themselves. I didn't have to watch them to know Zootopia would win because A) It's a homegrown film by their friends and B) The added benefit of making it appear like they care about racism. Meanwhile in reality, Hollywood's making a big show about having a record SIX (woooaaah) black actors nominated.

Again, I know it's really not Zootopia's fault. I'm just reminded, "Oh, yeah. This is about hollow posturing." I'm a Debbie Downer. :(

I feel very much the same way about the Animated Shorts Category. Piper was very well done, and perhaps featured the best technical and character animation of the bunch. But out of the grouping, it felt the most emotionally unchallenging. Whereas the other films, whether or not it's true, felt like a lot of the artists put themselves, or their life, or culture into their art. And the stakes felt higher for them, to show the artistry and capability of animation outside of the DIsney mold. And instead, as you can predict, the body as a whole voted for the film that had the widest distribution. It's like that comment from voters about 'Chinese Crap' all over again.

To summarize, watch Pear Cider and Cigarettes, it's a short by the guy who was the character designer behind the opening to Beatles Rock Band, Motorcity, and Tron: Uprising. It was robbed.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

nerdman42 posted:

Spidey went to college and runs a company now, it's probably fine

Ain't nothin wrong with two manly business men giving each other manly, platonic, pecks on the lips with a bit of tongue.

Now this ain't theatrical animation, but I figure it's relevant to this thread's interests. Open Mike Eagle released a music video for one of his tracks, done by Studio Doulzia. The group is apparently an international gathering of artists from Canada to Japan. As a result, the video itself looks like one of those old Anime music videos cut up to American songs, while also holding the feeling that it's being cut up by a DJ live to go with the track. It's pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tODoC8poz7Y

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
For a while in High School, I got really into the Wall-E soundtrack. It's really friggin good y'all.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

CRINDY posted:

Sam Elliott as Fleetwood Yak?

... That is so incredibly dumb that I'm kinda surprised it's not a background joke in Zootopia.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm pretty sure it's the lead Actor's trademark. And looking at it, he apparently directed and wrote the thing. So it could be just that he wanted very clearly to sell it as 'his film', thus put his distinguishing characteristic in the film. Or he's just very comfortable with his disability, and wanted to add it to the character as a way to make them more personal.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Don't say I didn't warn you.

Circa 2 weeks ago:

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Animation Thread 2017: Secretly the designated Furry thread BTW

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Well Nick Park has always ran in the field of dumb ideas. Like doing Universal/Hammer horror pastiche set in a vegetable obsessed township, starring heroes who run a Pest removal service called Anti-Pesto. It's endearingly in it's dumbness and wordplay.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I can't imagine that who ever was hearing that pitch and Byron Howard and the team that wrote it was ever in the same room ever. Disney just seems like way too big of a company, there's no way they would risk the reputation hit.

Also, lol 'THEY STOLE MY IDEA WHERE LIONS AND TIGERS AND BEARS RULE OVER ALL THE SMALLER ANIMALS. ORIGINAL CONCEPT DO NOT STEAL.'

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

21 Muns posted:

TBH this kind of corroborates my earlier theory that the goal of the live-action remakes is to retcon handdrawn animation out of existence, so they can keep making money from marketing their old characters without kids asking awkward questions about why animated movies look different now.

But the fatal flaw in your plan is, if they eliminate their animated films then they can't sell the same film to you twice.

In all seriousness, the only thing driving the live-action remakes is the fact that you can get a much more diverse audience. Where maybe you can't get moms and dads who won't go see Zootopia because it looks like baby stuff, you can get them in the door for The Jungle Book as it looks a lot more serious and mature, even though both films are pretty much kids movies. And that is what's going on, the pig known as kids movies being applied lipstick so that dads will want to gently caress it go watch it. Plus, re-releases don't make nearly as much bank as a brand new feature.

Plus get them to repurchase a perfectly fine film they already have on the shelf/double the Netflix revenue.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, back to the Unikitty show, the track record for animated shows based on Lord & Miller movies is not good, as we can see every day at 5:30.

E: Though I literally just noticed that the show remembers Flint's spray-on shoes, which is good attention to detail

I reserve judgement until the finished product (if it is indeed real). Hey, the Lego Movie itself was brushed off hand by a lot of people for just being a feature length commercial. No reason it's spin off can't be the same surprise it was.

Admittedly, I can see why they're going about it this way. The Lego Movie seemed ripe by the Lego Company to become a new pillar like Star Wars, only one they didn't have to pay large dividends to Disney for. But after that first year of toys, nothing really seemed to come from it, as they kinda dropped the ball immediately by developing Lego Batman Movie and then surprisingly an almost unprompted Ninjago spinoff. Only now are they deep into production of the sequel, and in the interim leaving characters like Metalbeard, Emmet, and Unikitty forgotten. So I can see a show like this being pushed out by Warner/Lego to put some more Unikitty (and perhaps by extension Lego Movie) product on shelves, or at the very least a new line of girl/girl friendly toys to diversify the shelves that normally the Friends line occupies exclusively.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

ConfusedUs posted:

The cowboy T-Rex family was the absolute highlight of the movie. I wish the rest had had even some of that heart and imagination.

I am really tired of the retreading Pixar's been fond of lately. That said, if they announced a spin-off featuring the T-Rex family I would be there day one.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Hedrigall posted:

Making goons angry is my raison d'être

Well now I wanna hug you out of spite.

RE: The Ferdinand trailer:

I found it really odd that they went all in on this awe-inspiring, really tug at your heart strings approach to selling the film, only for the visuals to look like it's adapted from a Loony Toons short. Like, it feels really weird to say, but I'm almost disappointed they didn't go for a gag-heavy Dreamworks style trailer that seems tailor fit for the visuals presented. As for the film itself, I try to remain impartial until the final feature is released, but the trailer doesn't really inspire any enthusiasm to believe it will be great. I don't think it will be bad, but maybe particularly middle of the road like Sing or something.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Just pointing this out, but Padak is apparently on Steam as a movie, and it's coincidentally on sale for the next 12~ hours.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/468060/

Weird but I'm on this.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Ditto on the warning. The first 1/3 of Your Name will make you feel uncomfortable with how 'Anime' it is. Read: J-Pop and Boob touching. But once it gets over itself on how 'wacky and crazy' it's conciet is, it actually pulls off a pretty good and emotionally satisfying plot.

That said, the director of the film comes off as a much more visual filmmaker than a storyteller. On the film's wikipedia it says he was disappointed with the final product, but says that the plot is fine. He more makes it sound like the animation wasn't polished to his liking, when I thought the plot and pacing could have been tightened up or giving some plot points room to breath. Not that I think it's bad or even mediocre, just flawed in specific ways.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Speaking of non-Your Name animes, a theatre around me finally got around to screening The Red Turtle. Which I was surprised to find out how little about it I knew going in. Like, I think I maybe watched a trailer over a year ago, but I think the only thing I knew was that there was a dude, and a turtle. So while it took me a moment to remember that, 'Oh yeah, this is a movie about a shipwrecked dude stranded on a Island', I was unexpectedly hit with, 'Oh, it's a fairy tale as well.'. Plus, it was a film that practically demands to be seen on as large of a screen as you can manage. It really makes use of size and scope, really putting the audience at a distance from the characters. It's almost like watching a play or viewing a diorama but with camera angles.

I would also say it's better than 'Your Name' :smuggo:
But for real, The Red Turtle makes use of a lot less to create something that was a lot more effective than Your Name. But I won't disparage Your Name and those who like it just because I think The Red Turtle is better. They are both setting out to make very different stories with very different tools.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Shadow Hog posted:

Apparently Disney is very, very particular about when and where to allow crossovers. Kingdom Hearts was deemed a bad place to cross the steams, while the opposite side of the door leading to the dimension of Gozer the Gozerian House of Mouse was considered a good place.

I guess the issue is that, if it's meaningless fluff then it's okay. If it's an emotional story with stakes then it's a non starter. I imagine they would very much like to stay away from canonizing the Princess's relationships, heirarchy, or personalities outside of their respective film's or the fluff they release under the banner.

Though on the other hand, isn't that Sofia show on Disney Junior about the Princesses working together to teach little girls how to be Princesses?

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

SomeJazzyRat posted:

Animation Thread 2017: Secretly the designated Right-Wing Furry thread BTW

Updated.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I like the fact that the creators put in subtle Easter eggs that only work if you've seen both Cop Rock and Fish Police, finally confirming that they both exist in the same universe.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
No Hedirgall, but I would actively be more interested if the characters in Coco were other species, like pigs or goats or mustelids.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Just FYI for those not in the know:

http://www.maximumfun.org/my-brother-my-brother-and-me/mcelroy-brothers-will-be-trolls-2-chapter-1

A podcast about their journey to Trolls 2, from the perspective of them already having the role, despite the fact that they haven't been hired yet.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Das Boo posted:

You're a monster. I bet you've never bought a diamond OR golfed a day in your life!

Probably spends his money on Covfefe jokes.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I think another key to the MLP thing was that it was on a brand new channel that showed reruns of BTAS, Batman '66, Animaniacs, etc.

So weirdos who wanted to watch cool poo poo ended up latching to this weird thing, and it was all downhill from there.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I'm pretty sure I posted this several months back, but it's pretty cool. It's all bespoke animation, but takes the styling of a fan-made music video while also trying to evoke the editing style of rap (quick yet repetitive cuts).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tODoC8poz7Y

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Man, that came out in Canada months ago. As far as I know, it did not do so well (Maybe Nut Job 2 numbers, but probably in a smaller theatre count).

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
I propose that it should be about how there aren't animated movies that cater to the 25-40 demographic.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Timeless Appeal posted:

I just people would stop arguing that it's both a Halloween and Christmas movie. It's a goddamn Christmas movie.

Thematically, it's a great movie to watch just as Halloween is finishing and you're about to go to bed.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Huh, surprised they aren't going for the "Picking back up with the characters X years later" plot that blockbusters are all about. Kinda refreshing actually. It's kinda becoming a cheap way to add emotional gravity to a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
2 cents on Ratatouille. Sure, a message of the film is 'Some people can't cook', referring specifically to Linguini. And yes, some are shown to be innately more talented, such as Remy. A rat from a home that tries to keep down his talents. A rat that overcomes overwhelming adversity to do what he wants to do, and what he does better than anyone, which is cook. A simplified take on the Randian narrative. But that ignores not only plenty of detail of Remy's journey, but also Linguini's. A man who comes out of nowhere not knowing anything. Who comes across a talent in need, and uses his platform and power within his world to give Remy a space to perform his talent. He relies on an authority, being the chefs that know what they are doing, to give him direction. He does not give any attribution to Remy, but does so to the understanding of mutual benefit of everyone. He and Remy both understand the talent and power they distinctly have, and collaborate so not only they benefit but the patrons they serve. It's not so much "gently caress you, got mine" as it is "Got mine, here's some for you too".

And I just want to point out that, at least under my understanding, Libritiarianism operates under the assumption that those with the talents are the best metaphorical captains for their metaphorical ship. But even within the world of the movie, it is shown that restaurants are at the mercy of their audience, critics most of all. And presumably, a true Randian story would be about this shackle that weighs the chefs down, and overthrowing this authority (the critics) so that the chef is free to cook what they like. But the resolution of the film comes from working with this authority, who acknowledges his power and authority to benefit the heroes, against his own prejudice. It's another brick in the thematic message that people need to look beyond one's self and to help other people to find personal happiness.