Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

If we're going by US releases, 2014 had both Princess Kaguya and The Wind Rises, making it one of the strongest recent years for animation.

Which reminds me, The Red Turtle is supposed to get a US release early next year. Definitely go see it if you have the chance. Also, keep an eye out for Loving Vincent. No official release date yet, but there's a good chance it'll come out in 2017, and the trailer looks absolutely stunning.

Edit: Also, I kind of dig the new thread title, even if it does mess up the reference (and 'is' should be capitalised :v: ).

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'll stand by my prediction that Zootopia will win the Oscar, with Kubo, Moana, Pets, and Finding Dory being the runner-ups. Maybe replace Pets with Sausage Party if the Academy is feeling raunchy on that particular day.

CRINDY posted:

-Ninjago comes out Sept. 25 and it's a LEGO movie. Pros: Jackie Chan. Cons: Property is pretty kiddie.

Eh, I don't know. I love Jackie Chan more than any sane person should, but voice acting has never been his forte.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Spatula City posted:

I don't think either Dory or Pets is going to be nominated. There's actually a few international animated films that stand a good chance at a nomination, in part because the Animation branch now has a weird voting system that favors artier animated films and filters out the mainstream stuff that isn't strongly liked.

Oh neat, it'd be nice to see a few more underappreciated animated films get some recognition. Although I thought part of the eligibility criteria was being shown in a theatre in LA County for seven consecutive days, which would rule out The Red Turtle.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

... but let's not forget it also gave us Norm of the North, Ratchet & Clank, The Angry Birds Movie, Batman: The Killing Joke, Sausage Party and The Wild Life.

Yeah, I already feel confident in predicting that no 2017 release will be as bad as Ratchet & Clank.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What year was Shrek 3 released?

2007, which was also the year Bee Movie came out. Though the year made up for it with Ratatouille and Persepolis.

Surf's Up was 2007 as well, which reminds me that Surf's Up 2: WaveMania is supposed to get a direct-to-video release on January 17. If you like penguins, surfing, and wrestling, you might get some entertainment out of it.

Schwarzwald posted:

This thread's title is cool, and good, and I will graciously overlook the missing comma.

There was no comma in the original quote either, though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Are you sure you're not thinking of a different film? Prince of Egypt was a respectable success upon release and held the title for highest-grossing non-Disney animated film until Chicken Run came along.

For some extra fun, look at the list of 60 features that will be released in 2017 and count how many of them have more than one female character in a major role.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Magnus Condomus posted:

So apparently Michel Gagne has been signed on to do the special effects animation for The My Little Pony Movie. He's the main special effects animator from The Iron Giant, as well as Osmosis Jones and several other high profile projects. (And also Battleborn.)

Michael Gagné's great (check out his short film Prelude to Eden if you haven't already), and it's nice to see him getting more work. Between him and Emily Blunt, I'll probably end up watching the film after all.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Sir Lemming posted:

Like everything else marginally controversial on the internet these days, it'll be backlash meets counter-backlash meets counter-counter-backlash until the only safe thing to do is have no opinion at all.

Oh please, today's controversies are so low-effort. Remember when protesters used to stand outside of theatres because they found a particular film offensive? Those were the good old days.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Does that make Zootopia a sequel to Peace on Earth?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Father Ted is a perfect show.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

You should introduce her to South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Aladdin and the King of Thieves is alright because it avoids the most common sin sequels commit: rehashing the plot of the original. Focusing on Aladdin's relationship with his estranged father adds an interesting emotional dimension to what is otherwise a fairly straightforward treasure hunt.

I also have something of a soft spot for Atlantis: Milo's Return. It's not a good film, but the idea of the cast of Atlantis tracking down various mythological artefacts holds a certain appeal to me.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp did get a theatrical release. It perfomed poorly at the box office, though, killing any plans Disney had for further DuckTales films.

Surprisingly enough, Return to Never Land got a theatrical release as well. I had forgotten that film even existed.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Das Boo posted:

I have never been able to make it through a Disney sequel. If I am alone at home, I will be so embarrassed by what I'm watching I'll have to switch it off.

I'm afraid by posting in the Animation thread, you have forfeited the right to ever feel shame or embarassment.

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 3, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Anonymous Robot posted this in the Gen Chat thread, and I figured those of you who hadn't seen it yet would get a kick out of it as well: On Your Mark, a music video made by Studio Ghibli in 1995.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Avshalom posted:

i am exquisitely animated. in conversation my face achieves the maximum of squash and stretch with every contorted syllable i pronounce. my lines are thick and smooth, my silhouette strong, my bones viscous and my palette pretty as a peach. i end every sexual encounter with a dance party and everyone you know is there just dancing, dancing, anonymously dancing sans speech or expression, they could be anyone, they could be strangers, they could be communists

Might as well end the thread right there, honestly. We're not gonna top that.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Laika also doesn't have to be profitable due to its benefactor. All of their films recouped their initial investment, which is pretty much all that's needed to keep the company going.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

In case you were curious, the other nominees were:

Kubo and the Two Strings
Ma vie de Courgette
Moana
Sing

Ma vie de Courgette was robbed, I tell you. Robbed!

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ma vie de Courgette...was that My Life as a Zucchini? What even was that movie?

Incredibly charming is what it was. It's this year's (well, last year's technically) Shaun the Sheep Movie.

Surprisingly low on actual zucchinis, though.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I don't think the animation field is less diverse than it was a couple of years ago, but it's true that a lot of the more unique films get no or only a limited theatrical release. This can make it hard to know they exist and even harder to actually see them, unless you routinely tour festivals or have contacts in the industry.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Rona is a TV show and thus presumably on a much tighter budget than their usual output. Additionally, lot of staffers left in 2015 to found their own studio. With Miyazaki being retired and Takahata sort of doing his own thing, it's unclear if we'll ever see another film from Ghibli.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Animation Thread 2017: The Maid Dragon Show from Kyoani Might Be Better than You'd Think

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

I'll have had my new job for less than two weeks at that point, I don't wanna take a day off right off the bat, especially since I don't have paid sick or vacation.

I can't believe it's legal for a company to flat-out not offer any paid sick leave.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Why does Zootopia not count as a recent 3D effort from Disney?

Because they didn't put any effort into it. :rimshot:

Edit: Oh hey, Geomancing. It's been a while.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm a bit disappointed they didn't ask John Waters to voice the poop. I'm sure he would have jumped at the opportunity.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

The Emoji Movie will be the Pink Flamingos of our time.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

devilwu posted:

English dubbed version trailer (with Nick Offerman !). Does any of you goons have seen the movie?

Probably my favourite animated film from last year. It's incredibly charming and deals with some heavy themes without ever losing its deft touch. Definitely go see it if you have the opportunity.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I'm happy to see The Red Turtle and My Life as a Zucchini get nominations because they're both tremendous films, but I can't see any way for either one to win. It'll be down to Moana and Zootopia.

Come to think of it, I can't remember the Animated Feature category ever having an underdog win. Maybe Sprited Away beating out Lilo & Stitch counts, but that film was about as high-profile as Japanese animation ever got in the US.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

Good thing: So many people at my work talk about animated films!

Not so good thing: It's invariably in the context of what they take their kids to watch, and any praise boils down to which films were the least annoying to sit through. :sigh:

Don't keep us hanging. What was their consensus on the least annoying animated film?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Unmature posted:

FAKEEDIT:
Am I the only one who struggles with their love of The Wind Rises since it could be taken as "Japan did nothing bad in WWII we were just being artists"?

The WWII commentary in the film is somewhat subdued, but you can clearly see Miyazaki's anger at the senseless waste of human life and the autocrathic government responsible for it in certain scenes. For instance, in the final dream sequence, Jiro and his idol Caproni watch a group of Japanese pilots fly off into the distance. Jiro sadly states, "Not a single one came back." To which Caproni replies, "It's not like there was anything to come back to." There's a melancholy to The Wind Rises that you wouldn't see in a pro-war work.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

mycot posted:

Normally when people speculate conservative themes in Japanese works it's less about pro/anti-war and more about the implication that the War was a horrible thing because the Allies ruined everything at no provocation. I'm just mentioning this based on other discussions and the quote you brought up, I haven't seen the Wind Rises still.

That would still ignore the scene where Jiro's co-workers laugh in his face when he calls Japan a modern state or the fact that one of the most sympathetic characters is in hiding because he's Jewish and knows the Japanese government would sell him out to the Nazis. The Wind Rises has no love for a national mythos that shows Japan as victim of Western meddling, but it does have plenty of sympathy for the people suffering due to the madness of their leaders.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

This Korean movie (Underdog) looks good!

I don't see the speed of lightning or a roar of thunder in this image.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Macaluso posted:

Everyone I know, including my best friend, keeps saying how good the new Beauty and the Beast looks and like I have to believe this is all some big elaborate troll on me as a person at this point.

"Animation thread wrong about nearly everything, survey shows"

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Feb 2, 2017

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Shadow Hog posted:

Also, for whatever reason, this is playing the entire time, despite nothing warranting it playing occurring.

I can't believe you didn't link to Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Just got back from late night Lego Batman. Nobody warned me that the movie would be so gay. Incredibly gay. Fabulously gay.

You didn't watch the trailer?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Pick posted:

By the way, LEGO Batman's budget was only $80mil. That's crazy :eyepop:

Budgets for CGI films have a huge range. Angry Birds, Pets, and Sing were all cheaper than $80m, while Finding Dory cost more than twice that amount. Of course, Hollywood accounting practices and marketing expenses often make it difficult to determine the true costs of a film.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Timon and Pumbaa Are Dead

"There must have been a time, in the beginning, when we could have said 'no'; but somehow, we missed it", is a rather apt summation of Disney's DTV days.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

GonSmithe posted:

That's a general thread warning. There are 20000 other places for you to talk about loving animals on the internet, this thread isn't going to be one of them.

Thank you.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Pick posted:

Even Ratigan, who apparently made it to the level of professor before completely snapping. :(

Between you and me, I don't think he studied at an accredited institution.

He also drowned widows and orphans and is voiced by Vincent Price. You can't possibly be more overtly evil than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I liked Lego Batman well enough, but that's not a hard choice at all.