Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

So, uhm... I kind of liked the live action Beauty and the Beast?
It was pretty, and even though the Beast's design is really absolute garbage, everyone else's were pretty good. I liked the Lefou subplot, and the extra story bits they added all had a purpose and, well, just kind of worked for me.

It didn't wow me of anything but it did it entertained me decently enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I can't stand the basic premise of "Look at these millennials, so entitled and always glued to their screens!" It feels like a kids' movie that for some reason wants to cater to cantakerous seniles.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Barudak posted:

I do not like Woody Allen the person, the character, or the director so regardless of the corporeal form he takes I hate him.

What did he do to deserve such spite?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

mycot posted:

Uh, normally I don't expect anyone to get everything that might be referenced somehow, but do you live under a rock?

Almost. I often find myself shockingly ignorant of stuff regarding the people who produce media. I just don't care all that much about them.

E: The main problem with this is that, unless what they do is so heinous that it penetrates my bubble of ignorance, I don't know when they're complete shitbags.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He married his daughter.

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm not especially familiar with Woody Allen, his films or his skeletons in his closet, but there's allegations from his daughter about him sexually abusing her in 1992 when she was only seven.

So, y'know, :stare:

Yeah, :stare: is about right

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

You sicked GBS or some other garbage subforum on that thread because of one poo poo poster (who got banned anyway) so you don't get to criticize its quality.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I recognize that it's petty and stupid to drag this up but I kind of have a grudge over it. GBS is such absolute garbage and Hemingway cherry-picked posts to make the thread look much worse than it was and I'm still salty even though I haven't posted there in months, I guess.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The pony trailer was alright but bronies completely soured the show for me. Not because of "cringe" or whatever but because a good chunk of them were (or are) actively terrible people dedicated to doxxing and death threats.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The more I think about the Beauty and the Beast remake, the more I think that it was actually pretty good, or at least had several good parts. What did the goonmind think?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Should I know what this is, other than "mediocre at best"?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I took one look, heard the words "Well, my little Bro-" and paused the video on the spot.

Is this actually going to be what it sounds like, or should I continue?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Excuse me?

Stop. That's exactly what he wants from you. Don't give him the satisfaction.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Allow me instead to remind you that Fun and Fancy Free features an intermission with these:

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I like many of the songs from Broadway The Little Mermaid. Fathoms Below, If Only, Positoovity... I couldn't tell you if they add up to a good musical, but they're fun to listen to.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Don't use autistic as an insult people, jesus christ how are we still having this discussion.
For what it's worth I liked Inside Out but I'm easily swayed by interesting concepts even when the execution is flawed. It might be what's happening here, I don't know. I feel like a story about accepting that sadness is an healthy thing to have and to express is an important moral that we don't see often enough.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I wouldn't go as far as call it Randian, but saying that the message of the Incredibles is something along the lines of "Some people are just better than others and they shouldn't be forced to stay at the same level of the unwashed masses" wouldn't be a stretch.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I don't like the implication that an rear end in a top hat genius is something to be encouraged and welcomed.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

So what value do you place on the happiness of your fellow human beings? How many good movies is the lovely work life of hundreds of people worth?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

what does this analysis say about the only holiday movie that matters, Halloween is Grinch's Night

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

My theory: there are actually multiple Grinches. They see referred to as "the Grinch" by their surrounding communities because they are not aware of Grinch society at large.

This is backed up by the fact that, in "The Grinch Grinches the Cat in an Hat", the local Grinch's reflection tells "I think the time had come for thee to recite the Grinch's oath with me", which seems to imply that there is a dispersed but very real society of Grinches our there dedicated to being an asocial curmudgeon.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

K. Waste posted:

Barbie and the Rockers is still the cream of the trash crop, but Barbie: Princess Charm School is easily the most technically impressive of the Barbie movies I've seen.

Is there such a thing as a good Barbie movie?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

It should be rare pepes

Disney doesn't have the balls to condemn the surge of neonazi movements running around.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The "Home Stay Home" picture makes me wonder if this is going to be an introverts vs. extroverts thing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Okay so listen I like what you're saying but that's exactly the opposite meaning of toe the line.

Yeah this is absolutely someone whose salary could sustain a whole community telling their unpaid intern to think of something to cater to those drat millennials before leaving early to go golfing.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Barudak posted:

Working at Disney, at least about 4 years ago, was 50% cultists who could not forsee a better life than working there who artificially depressed the wages of the other 50% who were slowly reduced to spending their days fantasizing how to kill Mickey Mouse.

Wait. How did they reduce other people's wages?
I'm having trouble visualizing it.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

..That was rather obvious in hindsight. I'm sorry.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...g-a7876391.html
good????

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I really do wonder what's the reason behind some of these changes.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Moon Atari posted:

Li Shang: admirable masculine figure, remains in a position of superiority in the military. The romantic ending has Mulan withdrawing back to the traditional female role.

New guy: initially rival, almost equal to the protagonist but flawed by pride and overconfidence, will almost certainly be bested by Mulan.

By the end of the film Mulan will take on the commander role Li Shang occupied in the original. New guy will either support her leadership (possibly with a romantic ending, possibly he is rejected by a Mulan who needs no man) or alternatively, his admiration turns to bitterness when she becomes leader and he is a late act villain.

Man that would be almost too good.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm never watching either but the concept of a some rear end in a top hat comedian making a bizarre, awful movie that exposes his personal hangups offends me less than the marketing logic that allowed Emoji Movie to exist

This stirs a memory but I don't remember the details. Can someone remind me what is this about?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

So, uh, this actually looks ok? I laughed. Having Will Arnett be Deathstroke is going to be weird though, as he’s already Batman to my ears. Nice that Nicolas Cage finally gets to be Superman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9WhJyyTtqo

I would honestly prefer watching the Alfred movie.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I watched the first one and was pretty unimpressed. I miiight have watched the second one but it's just as likely that I saw clips on youtube. I don't remember.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Calaveron posted:

Hotel Transylvania 2 was on its way on having a perfectly good, rarely seen lesson that a lot of parents need to be taught but they hosed it all up at the very end

Wait, could you elaborate on this? I thought the moral was "love your children even if they are not what you want them to be"?
...wait, does it turn out that the baby has vampire powers after all? :C

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Harold Krell posted:

Or maybe it'll be exactly like this:

That's not a fair comparison because that trilogy started out barely acceptable and was already bad with its second title, whereas Dragons started out actually good. Still haven't watched the second one so I can't pass judgement on that one.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Honestly it's not even the princesses or Disney jerking off to how cool they are that bothers me, but all the name-dropping of companies like Google, Amazon etc. It really does feel like a giant advertisement. The joke about the princesses was fun but I really dont want to watch something so corporate-driven. I have to endure enough of that stuff in my everyday life.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

The musical is good too.

Is it? I've hard some really negative reviews of it, and when I listened to the songs I only found, like, one or two that were memorable.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Neon Noodle posted:

With assholes like this, what we can't know is all the good and creativity that his misogyny and predatory actions prevented from coming into the world.

I feel like this deserves to be underlined, too. How many masterpieces have never seen the light of day because they were created by a person of color or a woman who didn't step in line?

(Note: even if that number was zero, that still would not make this okay. But I feel like it's worth pointing out that we're missing out on a ton of alternative takes because assholes like that one are in charge)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Renoistic posted:

the movie with the Italian ephebophiliac?

pardon me, the what

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

why did they add a whole family to the dumbo premise?

I like this answer because it works on two levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

glam rock hamhock posted:

Dumbo will probably be bad but the story also isn't much of a stretch for Burton and honestly already fits the story he always tells way better than Alice in Wonderland

What is the story he always tells? The movies of his that I remember seeing are Nightmare Before Christmas and Alice in Wonderland, and beyond the whole "travel to another world" thing I can't think of a lot of things in common.