Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

got any sevens posted:

Was Kubo the only good animated movie this year? Was Kaguya this year? And only Batman looks good next year. Bleh

No, Moana and Trolls were both good. Zootopia and Finding Dory were good too, and I actually kind of liked Kung Fu Panda 3 and Secret life of Pets. Oh, and Storks was weird but still had some good gags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I think 2016 was a pretty good year for animation, I mean what was that insanely lovely one? 2014 maybe?

What year was Shrek 3 released?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

No, people have moved onto 8-bit goatpeople, get with the times

Also magical rock ladies.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Egbert Souse posted:

Here's the chronology:

Bambi -> Peace on Earth -> The Secret of NIMH -> Robin Hood -> Zootopia -> Treasure Planet

Impossible, humans are still alive in The Secret of NIMH. They plow the field and destroy Mrs Brisby's house, remember? It would have to be:

Bambi ->The Secret of NIMH -> Peace on Earth-> Robin Hood -> Zootopia -> Treasure Planet

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Aces High posted:

yesterday I was visiting a friend and I saw she had Belle's Enchanted Christmas and I said "did you get this in a gift exchange or something? Why do you own this?" and she said "uh because it's a great movie :colbert: you know it has Tim Curry in it"

Long story short she thinks it's great and to me Tim Curry is the only good part and that's not saying a whole lot, the pipe organ ain't no Hexus

I haven't seen all of them, but I think the only legitimately good direct to Video Disney movie is Cinderella 3 (which I never would have beleived before I watched it). Although I have a soft spot for Return of Jafar (but I think that's more because of childhood nostalgia rather than the quality of the film) and also like both of the Lilo and Stich straight to DVD movies (mostly because I love stories where people befriend monsters, I watch Totoro like a million times as a kid).

What about everyone else? Does any one else in this thread have any Disney direct to video/dvd movie do they enjoy on some level?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I have argued that Trolls is superior to Moana in some ways, including thematic coherency :colbert:. Moana is still the better film, obviously.

I would like to hear those arguments, I'm quite fond of Trolls and like hearing good things about it (also, I missed most of the original Trolls chat. I was avoiding this thread because I didn't want spoilers and I couldn't see it right away. By the time I finally got around to watching it people had moved on.)

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FirstAidKite posted:

I never had the impression that it wasn't good, I just have not seen it in decades so I don't actually remember anything about it other than its existence and some characters

Go rewatch it, it holds up.

In addition to being a technical marvel with amazing animation it's also a pretty solid murder mystery with good characters and humor, it's a legitimately great movie.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 5, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

teagone posted:

Interesting enough to service the story imo. Claire, Toby, the trolls, and villains more than make up for the blandness of the lead imo. Mr. Stickler is one of my favorite characters (voice by Jonathan Hyde), and he's a character who goes through a lot of changes that makes him an interesting character study. He subverts the typical "villain with a diabolical plan role" in a way that I found satisfying in the end.

I haven't seen the show, but seeing as you described him as bland even when trying to defend him I think it's pretty safe to assume that, no matter how good the other characters are, the lead character is indeed uninteresting.

Though it's definitely possible to have a good and kind protagonist who's also interesting and engaging. Like people have already said Steven from Steven Universe fits that description, and so does the ultra sweet Poppy from Trolls. Both of these characters I like and enjoy watching. Good doesn't mean boring, it's hard to stay positive in the face of adversity and tragedy. Interestingly enough this something that both characters acknowledge in the former of a song:

Here's Poppy's: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuFm0m2wj0

And here's Steven's: https://youtu.be/f8kHSyeM8_Q

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Drifter posted:

Jesus, even Boxtrolls made almost double their budget. Kubo barely broke even.

Boxtrolls came on the heels of Paranorman, Kubo came on the heels of Boxtrolls. I guarantee you that has at least a little bit to do with Kubo being less successful.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Samuel Clemens posted:

In case you were curious, the other nominees were:

Kubo and the Two Strings
Ma vie de Courgette
Moana
Sing

Ma vie de Courgette was robbed, I tell you. Robbed!

Ma vie de Courgette actually looks pretty interesting, did anyone see it?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

It might be the worst Disney doll though.

How do you make something like that and think "yes, we should sell this"? They have thousands of artists working for them, surely they could have come up with a better design.

Edit: wait, poo poo, I forgot that Disney owns Marvel now. Okay it's the second worst Disney doll.

Macaluso posted:

Verdict: Storks was awesome. The animation is fast and frantic in the same way Emperor's New Groove was, so it was a ton of fun the whole time. The ending was very sweet.

The wolves were loving hilarious. The chase scene with them came close to giving the Venice chase in Penguins of Madagascar a run for its money. The wolves turning into different vehicles was hysterical.
The ending when all the babies get delivered and you see each set of parents get their babies is one of the most :unsmith: scenes in a movie I've seen in a while.
There's a part near the end that literally made me do this gesture in real life: :psyduck: because after the protagonists get chased into the baby factory, and accidentally turn the machine and cause it to overload, there's a part where the Cornerstone.com boss breaks through the side of the mountaintop building in a giant loving mech (it's not really a mech, but the machine ends up looking like one) and you get this insane shot of the thing scaling the mountain breaking into the building. You also get to see the like... power core??? of the baby machine and it looks like some ancient alien machine technology which is pretty funny.

Also something about this joke just absolutely loving destroyed me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQYR852OkpA

One thing I particularly liked about the baby delivering seen at the end where all the parents happily get their kids is that it featured two same sex couples (one with two men and one with two women) and a single mom. :unsmith:

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 10, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Egbert Souse posted:

Oh, I completely forgot about Maleficent. To Disney's credit, it's actually a terrific film

No it's not.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Unlucky7 posted:

I like Patrick Stewart and all, but I wonder, is there any role he will say no to?

From what I can tell from interviews Patrick Stewart truly loves voice acting and adores getting to say weird and ridiculous stuff. Playing a talking piece of piece of poop in a movie seems exactly like the kind of thing he would find fun and hilarious.

Regardless of the quality of the rest of Emoji movie I can guarantee you that Patrick Stewart is going to give that role his all.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 19, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

FirstAidKite posted:

Pretend I linked that clip of Sir Patrick Stewart shooting at his flowers while shouting about people killing all his lilies

And here it is: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_xyGvpLOZ1Q

Sir Patrick Stewart is a treasure.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Holy cow, that's some really pretty box art. The one for Bee Movie is the only non-ugly Bee Movie thing I've ever seen.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Okay he's cute now!

Original toy

Hot drat, that's some great paint work. Good job, that's a massive improvement.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

Everyone I know, including my best friend, keeps saying how good the new Beauty and the Beast looks and like I have to believe this is all some big elaborate troll on me as a person at this point. This is why donald trump won I think

As far as I can tell normal people (AKA people who aren't huge gross animation nerds like me) are very excited for this movie and think it looks great.

I don't understand it, but it's true.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

:hfive: huge gross animation nerd buddy :3:

I mean I'm still gonna go see it and buy any/all Beast merch

.....yeah I'm gonna see it too...and if they ever make a live action Little Mermaid I'm seeing that also, on day one.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Das Boo posted:

Meg and Kuzco are the best Disney princesses, bar none.

How do I make a a Meg and Kuzco roadtrip movie a reality?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Yes I'd agree, but then I'd have to go in there and edit that meme.

Finding Nemo has the world turn out to be a lot friendlier than Nemo's dad initially suggested; that is not the case for Trolls. Everything we see of the outside world makes it clear that it is dangerous and absurd and that the trolls themselves have very little control over it. Poppy never suggests that the outside world is good, only that she chooses to have a good attitude about its oppressive senselessness.

Among other things, the trolls have no magical powers aside from the manipulation of their hair. Other, much much larger animals are genuinely trying to murder the poo poo out of them constantly, and the Bergens do indeed feel a rush of ecstasy when they eat trolls alive. Again, it's a very unusual approach.

Yeah, the moral of Trolls isn't "You should be happy because the world is basically a good place" but rather "The world is a cruel and terrifying place, there are many valid reasons for you to feel miserable, but having a good attitude can give you the strength to change things for the better." Poppy's positive worldview is only proven true because she makes it true.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

My biggest beef with Trolls is actually that it tries to make the posse a "thing", and they just aren't. They just don't get enough screentime to develop any real personality, and that's fine because the film has other, far more interesting things it is doing with the characters it cares about.

Yeah other than Poppy and Branch the Trolls are either borderline non-entities or just plain irritating. That giraffe troll thing is just, ugh, the worst thing.

Contrastly, The three main Bergens (Bridget, Prince Gristle, and Chef) are each uniquely interesting and entertaining. Also, I really like I really their designs.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Alright good, so it wasn't just me who thought the Bergens were way better designed than the Trolls. I have a weakness for monsters and ugly cute stuff so the Bergens were right up my alley aesthetically.

The Trolls (other than the main two), meanwhile, just weren't as cute. They look a little too generic and polished, which I think is because they're supposed to be more marketable but ironically makes them less appealing.

Edit:
And yeah, all the felt creatures were great.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 8, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

P.S. I find it extremely funny that for a movie based on moving toys, the actual creators went for the message "psst... you don't actually need stuff."

True, but it also contains the message "Stuff TOTALLY can make you happy though. Sure it's a happiness that's only temporary and ultimately unhealthy and destructive, but it's real happiness none the less."

The happiness that Bergens get when they eat a troll is never revealed to be a trick or a misconception. Trolls are just nature's ecstasy and the film is extremely sympathetic towards the miserable Bergens who want to eat them when they think there's no other way to be happy.

Pick posted:

As for the annoying giraffe thing or the one who takes creepy photos of his worm, the film doesn't bother trying to convince you that they're anything but airheads.

Well, not necessarily. The Trolls as a whole do have a slight amount of character growth when near the end they all turn grey just before they're about to be eaten. However, one song later they regain their colors and decide to instead stay positive right until the end even though death seems certain.

Edit:

Hedrigall posted:

Trolls just looks like the most unappealing movie to me. From my impressions of the trailers I hate the music (leave Junior Senior alone :qq:), the characters, the design aesthetics, everything. The only reason I'm even considering watching it is because people in this thread liked it, but seriously, there is like nothing there for me.

Just watch this clip: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IFuFm0m2wj0

If you enjoyed it you'll probably like other parts of the movie and should watch it, if not give it a miss because it's probably not your thing and that's okay.

Space Cadet Omoly fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 8, 2017

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Oh gross! Why is the Fruity Troll Roll surrounded by green olives!!? This are two flavors that do NOT belong together.

I wouldn't mind trying the Spicy Tuna Troll though, that one looks pretty good.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SatansBestBuddy posted:

...well gently caress I guess I better watch Trolls now because that song was hilarious.

You really should, the whole movie is like that.

The humor in Trolls is surprisingly dark and morbid, yet never cynical. I'm having trouble thinking of something else to compare it to.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

The deleted scenes also explain the "I'm not the king I once was" line. It explains that the reason he's passing on his crown is that he is developing dementia. So he would go and save the captured trolls, except he is aware that he cannot function at that level any more.

Do any of the deleted scenes explain what happened to Prince Gristle's Dad? I mean sure it's obvious that he died somehow since he's not around after the timeskip and Gristle is now ruling the kingdom, but it's kind of weird that no one brings it up or mentions how it happened.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The True Colors cover in Trolls is great, but I gotta say I liked that sampling of "In the Hall of Mountain King" even more. The "put your hair in the air" stuff is dumb as heck, but man does "In the Hall of Mountain King" sound weirdly good as a dance remix.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The Lego Batman movie was really good, probably one of the best Batman movies ever made. Now I'm excited to see other Lego movie spoofs, but only if they're made with the same level of care and humor. It seems like something that could go really bad if it isn't done right, but it was done right this time.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Drifter posted:

"Most Disney princesses wear a ring. This Princess dominates one."

- Punch -
coming 2019

I thought this was real for a second and got excited, then I looked it up and realized it's a joke.

Now I'm sad.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Macaluso posted:

Don't worry fam, I got you

This is the stuff of nightmares.

Edit: oh God, now I'm hearing "Shiny" as sung by Jerry Seinfeld in my head and I don't know how to make it stop. Why this.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

Btw, live action Mulan is getting a female director:

http://www.slashfilm.com/mulan-director-niki-caro/

I'm really excited for this movie, I haven't enjoyed most of the Disney live action movies but I'm really looking forward to this one.

Also: No one stings like Gasthoney

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

teagone posted:

Had some time to burn in between renders and put this together real quick because I loving love that tagline. Re-worked it slightly though, and made a change to the title as per Waffleman's suggestion. I laughed.

Now I'm even more sad that this isn't real.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

I liked Joker's more respectful tone to her in this film. "Girl buddy!" :3:

Yeah, it was nice watching Harley and Joker acting like good friends rather than an abusive relationship.

I really liked Lego Harley and Joker designs, Joker in particular was super adorable which I wasn't expecting at all.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

By the way, this led me to be curious if people really did pair up Maui and Tamatoa in fanart, and they totally did.

A Demi-God and a giant Crab....yeah, I could see that relationship working. Only if Tamatoa got over his hoarding problem first though.

Also, I really like your redesign of him. My favorite parts are the giant spine he's using for decoration and the way the strings of jewelry look like spider webs. It makes him look extra creepy and intimidating while still being gaudy and glamorous.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fangz posted:

Just saw Lego Batman, it ruled.

Was the ending song by the kid from the Lego Movie?

Yeah, what is that song called? It was cute.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

Oh my. I hope Disney hires a spoof poster-maker full time for the rest of eternity.

Also holy poo poo Childish Gambino as Simba :swoon:

On the one hand I'm happy because James Earl Jones and Donald Glover are both amazing actors (I'm really looking forward to hearing Glover sing can you Feel the Love tonight, I love that song and I love his voice).

On the other hand I'm confused because I'm having trouble imagining what a live action Lion King would be like. Will it have actual trained lions?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Kitten Kisses posted:

It's going to be cgi animals, much like last year's jungle book. They're really stretching the limits of what can be called live action with this one.

Huh, yeah that seems like some pretty blatant false advertising.

I'm still gonna watch it though.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

teagone posted:

For anyone who enjoyed Trollhunters like me, GDT has been posting images of merchandise that's coming soon. Yuss.

Someone also posted this showcase from the NY ToyFair. The figures look so good.
https://twitter.com/Parisi2274/status/833128070303326208
Gonna get me an Argh.

Alright I've never seen Trollhunters, but that brown monster in the middle is adorable.

Teagone, is the cute brown monster a main character or at the very least does he or she appear in most episodes? If they do, I kind of want to watch Trollhunters now. The blue guy with the sword is also cool.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

teagone posted:

He's a main character, appears in pretty much all the episodes, and his name is Arrrgh. He explicitly says it's spelled with 3 R's when we're introduced to him :3:

Him and Draal (not pictured, I hope he gets a figure too) are my favorite trolls in the show. Blinky is the one with four arms, voiced by Kelsey Grammer, and he's pretty great too. The big blue guy with the sword is Bular, the primary villain in the first narrative arc, voiced by Ron Perlman.

Alrighty then, looks like I'll be binge watching Trollhunters after I finish binge watching Voltron.

I'm a sucker for adorable monsters and shows/games/movies where people team up with adorable monsters to go on adventures. Yup, that's a concept that's hard to screw up-

Pick posted:

I thought Boxtrolls was pretty bold about making the "monsters" annoying little shits who I would gladly see purged from any respectable village.

Oh right, Boxtrolls had that exact concept and screwed it up royally. It also screwed up in a whole bunch of other ways and was a terrible movie that I hated.

I hate being reminded that Boxtrolls exists and that I paid money to see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Unmature posted:

A lot of white dudes have gotten pretty upset that I dared make fun of mysoginist piece of poo poo John K.

Really? Geez, I thought it was universally accepted that John K. is kind of a jerk (to put it lightly).