Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
IIRC the reason why Disney stopped doing theatrical releases of their cheapquels in the early-2000s was because theatrical box office dictated the amount of shelf space they would get at retail so they wound up losing more money from not getting primo shelving than they made up during their theatrical runs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I listened to Gilbert Gottfried's episode of I Was There Too where he was talking about working on Aladdin, and he said that Iago was Katzenberg's idea and the original script had Jafar being the wacky crazy one and his parrot being the serious one. You don't hear a lot of stories about Katzenberg's meddling being a change for the better but there you go.

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

A TV series following the Disney Jungle Book characters would be kind of dull

I remember Jungle Cubs being OK, at least by the standards of the endless mediocre "[IP] but they're KIDS LIKE YOU!!!" shows that dominated the 90s.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
It's easily the best movie whose climax involves Bob Hoskins dropping rhymes about balls.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Schwarzwald posted:

This is actually a point worth making because tanuki are real actual animals that are native to the islands of Japan whereas raccoons are an introduced and harmful species.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7Nqxs93PUw

So majestic!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Samurai Jack ruled, it was a shining light of quality in that awkward period of transition between classic 90s Cartoon Cartoons and the later-00s Chowder/Adventure Time/Regular Show when everything was cheap Flash crap or anime. There were a few really bad episodes but when it was good it was really good, even with them having to make everyone be robots that bled oil in the name of S&P.

And the episode of Duck Dodgers making fun of it was pretty good too.

Crazy Ferret posted:

The music really sold me on the trailer.

I loved Samurai Jack when it was really trying to be something different, like that excellent Shinobi episode that was posted earlier. When Jack decided to go experimental or just straight up odd, the entire show really shined, even the goofy stuff like "Jack turns into a chicken" episode.

I'm pretty hyped about the return.

I always liked the Jack and the Gangsters episode, it was doing Electro Swing before that was even a thing.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

Didn't this come out during a weird spurt where there were a bunch of animated movies about shrinking people?

Dreamworks had that stint where both Bee Movie and Monsters vs Aliens had some really weird overt giantess stuff going on, I really hope that Disney's Gigantic doesn't have any of that for obvious reasons :pedo:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The_Doctor posted:

I think David Tennant's voice is too young and light for Scrooge McDuck. They should have got Peter Capaldi.

Also, the animation looks really.. pale. Where's the dark richness Disney animation used to have?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-LNgU4e1rE

I think we all remember what happened last time they tried to make Ducktales dark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmpAx8Z5z40

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

cartoons are blood

Hmm, yes. Anime is cartoons.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Applewhite posted:

This warning would have been more useful to me two weeks ago.

I'm ashamed to admit to watching any of that show but if it saves one other person from making the same mistake I did then I will confirm that it is very pedo.

I was lured into watching by the promise of big booby dragon girls dressed as maids, but in episode two they introduce a dragon who takes the form of a grade schooler and things go downhill from there. I punched out partway through episode three and haven't looked back. There aren't enough dragon boobies in the world to make watching that filth worthwhile.

It's a bad show. Do not watch.

I was similarly disappointed when I heard that Japan was making an anime about bears waging war against humans and it turned out it was actually just about anime girls wanting to kiss each other.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

The_Doctor posted:

Would I need to watch seasons 1-4 of SJ, or is this a decent jumping on point?

All you need to know about the show, it tells you in its theme song.

Also loved the premiere. After Sym-Bionic Titan was so ehhhhh I had tempered my expectations, especially since the move to Adult Swim could make it so easy to overindulge, but it used the new freedom so well and seems to be using it to an actual point re: having to actually fight actual humans and not just robots and monsters.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

Two things: Did Minions always speak jumble Spanish? And the necessity of two distinct plots that should be enough to carry a film on their own suggests the weakness of both.

IIRC their gibberish has always been speckled with loanwords from actual languages.

e.

quote:

They mostly speak their own creole-like language called "Minionese", which is partly derived from Bahasa Indonesia, French, English, Italian, Spanish, and Hindi.[2][3] Although seemingly nonsensical, the English-sounding words are dubbed for every country, in order to make them recognizable.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

Today I discovered there was effort put into Minions and now I'm sad.

They're also voiced by the first movie's director, it would be almost sweet if the end result wasn't so awful.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Regalingualius posted:

IIRC, Something gmail did where you could hit a button to send some gif of a Minion doing a mike drop... And then (seemingly) permanently block the recipient.

I remember at least one article about some guy who accidentally hit that button while responding to a potential employer, which screwed him out of an interview (or something along those lines).

Sounds like they did his potential employer a favor.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I finally saw Trolls, I don't think I'm as in love with it as some people in this thread but as someone who celebrates Earth, Wind & Fire day with their friends every September 21st the way that the soundtrack mashed up relatively modern electronic dance music with groovy 70s tunes was just the best. I mean, the bridge for the big opening number is a loving Brady Bunch song, that's inspired.

Also I can't remember the last time a cartoon made me laugh as unexpectedly hard as "OH SNAP." did.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Remember when Jasmine was going to get her hand chopped off for stealing food

Remember when Disney had to change the opening song to Aladdin because it was really racist

quote:

Oh, I come from a land

From a faraway place

Where the caravan camels roam.

Where they cut off your ear

If they don't like your face

It's barbaric, but hey, it's home.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I haven't seen BatB 2017 nor do I particularly care to but in general when something is obviously autotuned it's a stylistic choice because we've been able to seamleasly sweeten singing voices to an unrecognizable degree for decades now.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Robindaybird posted:

why else would epic movie exist?

To give Crispin Glover a paycheck so he could make more bizarre art movies.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
All the annoying kids who quoted Invader Zim in high school have grown up into annoying adults who quote Rick and Morty, if anything the time has never been better.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shadow Hog posted:

I mean, the alternative, right now, is to either talk about TV shows (as we have been doing) or to talk about Boss Baby, as if anyone in here is going to go see Boss Baby.

There's only one way for this thread to die:

dance party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OS1axkjL0V0

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
As a kid I had a weird grudge against The Pagemaster because the trailer has an ADR'd line of Macaulay Culkin going "I'm a cartoon!" but it wasn't in the actual movie. Partially because the movie lied to me, partially because being aware that he was animated would have been way more interesting than what the actual movie was.

Well what do you know, I guess Stalking Cat was reincarnated as a tiger after all.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shadow Hog posted:

I vaguely recall that James from Pokémon was played gay, even if he wasn't particularly written that way.

He was a crossdressing androgynous prettyboy from day one, if anything they had to tone him down from the original script for the American release of the show.

Pokemon_censorship_James_with_giant_fake_hooters.jpg

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I think if I was a kid I'd probably find television animation way more inspiring in that the modern crop of post-Adventure Time shows are all creator-driven and hugely personal and tend to be helmed by younger people.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

I'm watching the Ducktales movie for a laugh.

Sure am loving these Arab stereotypes!

Even when they stopped showing the offensive black and Mexican Looney Tunes, the Arab ones were still totally ok.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Speaking of Donald Trump and furries, I recently learned that in the 1940s Dutch Nazis made an animated adaptation of Reynard the Fox that played up the antisemitism for propaganda purposes, but was never released in part because Nazi officialss felt that a fox was not a noble enough animal to be a hero.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

Rock Dog is a prequel to Rock And Rule, right?

It's a sequel to Cop Dog but a prequel to Cop Rock.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Pick posted:

I didn't realize China had media properties that weren't retellings of Journey to the West.

This time it's a grim and gritty re-imagining where they go to the East.

The_Doctor posted:

Watch Buddy Thunderstruck if you haven't, it's wonderfully gay and wholesome.

Every time I see that title I can't help but think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkAUFeOyf6s

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Hedrigall posted:

Oh yeah, checking again re: podcast recommendations:

Talkin Toons with Rob Paulsen has done episodes with a lot of Disney workhorses. Ones with April Winchell (Clarabelle Cow, Miss Finnster from Recess, Peg from Goof Troop) are especially fun because she's absolutely filthy and does a lot of internet stuff like running Regretsy back when it was a thing, Bill Farmer (Goofy) and Jason Marsden (Max) are fun too because they all worked together on Goof Troop.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Whiz Palace posted:

Yeah, the number of fans who reduce the relatively complex character of Judy into a caricature or a plot point is... discouraging.

Heroes are boring.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Avatar didn't have a huge protracted fandom because James Cameron had enough control and integrity to not conspicuously have the movie as a launchpad for a sequel factory and license the everloving poo poo out of it and keep an Extended Universe going after the movie had come and gone, it seems silly to hold that against it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Schwarzwald posted:

There are four planned Avatar sequels.

Yes but that's all after the fact. The movie itself was a completely self-contained story with no lingering sequel hooks or after-credit stingers.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Movies can stop telling kids that it's OK to be yourself when people stop using "snowflake" as an insult.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ursula rules.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was also supposed to get a TV series but when the second film was announced they morphed it into Chip And Dale Rescue Rangers instead, bringing in the chipmunk characters and giving them clothing. Chip's clothes were clearly modelled on Indiana Jones and Dale got a Hawaiin shirt as a nod to Magnum PI.

According to the interview with the creator in that one episode of Laser Time, it also started as a parody of Miami Vice called Miami Mice but Michael Eisner didn't want them to do a show that was a straight-up parody of an existing IP. Same with Darkwing Duck starting as Double-O Duck.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Das Boo posted:

Until I was like, 7, I didn't get the concept of Disney cartoons being rereleased and just thought "Oh, hey! New Disney movie!" I remember being baffled that The Aristocats appeared in a hand-me-down book from my sister because we just bought it on VHS this year.
I also thought Motown was contemporary when I was 4 (1992) because we listened to it on the radio every morning, so maybe I was a little :downs:.

It's just one of those quirks about how little kids think about the world. I didn't realize that movies could be set in a different time than they were made until that age, I thought that Annie and Grease were both just really old movies.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Shadow Hog posted:

I find it amusing that any movie would go "Pay attention to this big screen for one-to-two hours talking about how you're wasting your life away paying attention to screens".

(Even though I know it's surely already happened.)

Really it's been going on for generations. When TV first got big you had a bunch of windmill-tilting from Hollywood and then even in the 90s you had movies like Stay Tuned and Cable Guy that were all about how TV was so dumb and terrible unlike film which is intelligent and sophisticated.

We've even come full circle because now TV is full of complaining about smart phones and social networks while being barely a decade past the point where TV was the insidious glowing rectangle that was destroying our brains.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Cops are children with guns.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Phylodox posted:

I like that Mrs. Beakley looks fuckin' ripped. Like, she ain't gonna take poo poo from anyone, especially not some Beagle Boy scrub.

And they have Character Actress Margo Martindale as Ma Beagle too.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Emoji Movie is already pissing off olds simply by existing so it's better than Baby Boomer Nostalgic Self-Absorbtion 3: Taking Millennials Down A Peg Edition by default.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Looper posted:

Thinking about the THIS SUMMER EVERYTHING CHANGES trailer for cars 3 still makes me giggle

THIS SUMMER

EVERYTHING HAS CHANGED

IT'S REALLY SCARY

THINGS WERE BETTER BACK IN MY DAY

WE BOUGHT HOUSES

NOT AVOCADOS

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

GeekyManatee posted:

Just saw. Can confirm. Acts like the second film never happened.

The plot of Cars 2 was about old clunkers being evil and conspiring to actively ruin everything for everyone rather than accepting that their time had passed, I can see how they would want to ignore considering it completely goes against 3 being about showing the new hotshots that the old ways are better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
You da ant! :madmax: