Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Drawings are good. Drawing is as old as humanity. Moving drawings are magical in a categorically different way than a realistic visual fantasy sequence. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Shadow Hog posted:

IIRC Moana was going to be that movie, but for one reason or another, the tech wasn't ready for a full-length motion picture, so they dropped it and went with what we got instead.

Also, I feel like I'm the only guy on Earth who was underwhelmed by Paperman's aesthetic. I know the stated goal was to work on tech that'd allow CG to look just like hand-drawn animation, but the end result doesn't look like 2D, it looks like 3D CG with a nice filter. Everything was just a little bit too perfectly-done, from subtle angle changes of the model to the lighting thereof, in a way that only computer algorithms tend to do, which broke the illusion they were shooting for for me - probably related to the uncanny valley effect or something. Still aesthetically very pleasing, but people kept making it out to have been a game-changer that nailed its stated objective, and sorry, I just don't see it; at best, it's merely a great first step.

You’re not the only one. I didn’t like it much either. I’ve seen some other CG/2D hybrids I like the look of more.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

2 Rekt
2 Wralph

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Hey kids, all your favorite brands!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Barbarella rules

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

World Famous W posted:

Prince of Egypt is a fantastic movie and the only bad part is the Big Boys song.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Shitposting is my dream

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Imagine taking your kid to that.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Macaluso posted:

Be prepared for business!
When we meet... the Huuuuuuns

edit

I'm in the mood to help ya "dude"
Ya ain't never made a man outta you

No one runs like Mulan
fights the huns like Mulan

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

That poo poo should be in the Criterion Collection.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Pick posted:

The Kipling stories played straight? Are you high? The only film that ever did that was the Soviet animation, which is admittedly the best, but both Disney versions are leagues from that.

The Chuck Jones version of Mowgli’s Brothers is very faithful. :colbert: Oh yeah and Riki Tiki Tavi.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I enjoyed that film.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Waffleman_ posted:

The Magnificent Seven but with chickens
A Bug's Life was The Magnificent Seven.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Magnificent Seven is Seven Samurai

Look all of this is just wasting time because the ultimate adaptation of that archetype is Three Amigos!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

:pusheen:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I saw Chico & Rita today. Everybody watch it. It's fantastic.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I saw Wrinkles. It was amazing. It’s not for the faint of heart though.

I’ve been on a project of using DVD Netflix to see all the indie and foreign animated films I can. So far it’s been like eating a home-cooked meal after years of nothing but Subway. American commercial animation is...pretty bad. Even when it’s good it’s bad. It’s really depressing that the culture of animation in America is permanently infantilized, and I say this as a person who loves kids’/family movies.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Today's film is The Painting (2011).

Edit: It's really cool. It reminds me a little bit of Twice Upon a Time in its art direction. It's 2.5D but highly effective at presenting a fully painted world. The story is good and has neat religious overtones. It's a little corny in places but so much of it is interesting and good that it's worth a watch.

Neon Noodle fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 9, 2018

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I don't really know why semi-serious adult animation just refuses to take off here.
The American market is overcrowded with children's animation. Some of the results of this are:

- all animation is perceived as being "for children"
- there aren't very many adults who are interested in animation in the first place
- what few adult "animation fans" there are, are mostly fans of animation for children

It kind of makes me think about "literary fiction," which is what they call highbrow novels written for adults now. The number of people who read literary fiction is vanishingly small in the market sense, and the cost to produce them is much lower than for animated films. Now imagine the animated film equivalent and it's no surprise that nobody will want to fund that kind of thing, no theatres will want to run it, and almost nobody will want to see it. Winning awards is nice and everything, but animation awards are a ghetto and they don't really affect ticket sales.

It goes beyond animation into the systemic problem of American film culture. It's really hard to get medium-budget films funded now. It's either blockbuster Disney-owned IP "cinematic universes", or television/streaming. Television has certainly gotten great! But the economics of TV animation are obviously different from feature-length animation.

Independent films seem to be doing relatively well via paid VOD and streaming deals (along with the old reliable arthouse and festival circuits), and I'd guess that that's because the production platform costs have dropped to almost zero. Digital video, NLE software, AfterEffects, etc. mean it's possible for a small band of people to bootstrap something feature-length of very high quality. That still isn't possible for animation.

I feel weird describing myself as a "fan of animation" because it's like saying you're a "fan of music". On some level anyone can appreciate the technical skill that goes into a commercial production, but I'm less and less interested in technical skill. It's like Top 40 vs. punk or indie or acoustic folk. Labels throw zillions into producing hits, and some charting artists are clearly good! Some hit songs are great! But if I want to actually feel something, that's not what I listen to.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Comedy is the only genre for adults though. What we have is great and I’m happy for it, but I wish there was more diversity as they have in Europe.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I attempted to watch Shinbone Alley. It was unwatchable. It’s too bad because the animation is really good. It’s just an utter mess. I really wanted to like it.

In other news I finally ordered the DVD of Twice Upon a Time so I can stop daydreaming about it all the time.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Pick posted:

animation is dead
:yeah:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

loving faux-ironic meta bullshit to cover over the basic fact that the movie is a giant commercial.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

How the hell is this movie going to age? Oh, I forgot, it only has to perform for 1Q :capitalism:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Macaluso posted:

I understand feeling like the websites make it feel like the emoji movie but I also don't think you could've done a movie where they go to the internet without showing some of those companies.
They ABSOLUTELY could have done a movie where they go to the Internet without showing those companies overtly, mainly by parodying the poo poo out of all of them. But they won't do that because they have business relationships.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

"Disney Princesses" is a marketing concept, it doesn't have any meaning within the creative process that actually created the movies.

I'M MAD

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

:same:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Megara isn't a Disney princess because she lost her virginity

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Ariel is still a Disney princess
Megara lost her virginity before the events of the film, she is therefore used

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Das Boo posted:

Addams Family Values is the greatest sequel ever created.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The Spider-Man trailer is amazing. I can't believe my eyes.

https://twitter.com/SpiderVerse/status/1004347175948693504

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Ccs posted:

Yeah, Disney horses always have dog mannerisms. But changing the mechanism of the quadruped gait as the film progresses is a pretty neat trick to telegraph that.

I really like Pegasus in Hercules, as well as the horses in Sleeping Beauty, because they have some really good horseness. Also, Philippe in Beauty and the Beast is very horse, and specifically very draft horse. The whole horse-dog thing seems to have become a fad in the 2000s.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

With assholes like this, what we can't know is all the good and creativity that his misogyny and predatory actions prevented from coming into the world.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

dirksteadfast posted:

Honestly, does Richard Williams gain much of anything from animating on 1s instead of 2s? I know it does make the movement more fluid, but as long as the key frames are good does it make enough of a difference to justify doubling the amount of effort involved?

No

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The Congress is one of my faves ever :supaburn:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

The answer is clearly full communism now -> 2D animation comes back

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Is that a real Glen Keane?? :chanpop:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

Pick posted:

No, sometime in the workings of Beauty and the Beast though of course. It's a rough, all his stuff looks like it.

Anyway it's not even CLOSE to the animation production work I'm most excited, even in the context of "this week" because FUCKCKCICICCKCKCKCK

As some of you may know, I've been trying to get a, literally any, loving Soviet animation cel for literally around a decade. ANY ONE. ANY. WHERE.

So what did I manage to acquire?

A cel of my favorite design from my favorite Soviet cartoon literally OF ALL TIME with ITS ORIGINAL PAINTED BACKGROUND.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW3wH0p9fC4

Owns bones

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

One of the animators is Jim Soper, a god among men.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

I love playmobil :smith:
Where is my tame German playmobil film