Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Ah, fuck the end of the world.

Haledjian posted:

I saw the portfolio of an ILM guy who said he'd hand-UV mapped and hand-painted every single scale on Rattlesnake Jake.

Which is I guess impressive but also why the hell would you ever do that

Nearly every shot of Jake is in close-up and just lingers on his details. You'd need to go that far with the mapping or he wouldn't look real.

The individual scales are pretty quick work, though. Look at this shot: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/rango/images/a/a8/Rattlesnake_Jake.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110702081516

Airbrush, airbrush, stipple, stipple, maybe a crack or two, overlay some dirt, pump out spec and normal maps by modifying the color map then move on to the next. It can be done pretty quickly once you're in the zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Wh-

Why is it varnished?

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

kefkafloyd posted:

That jazzy version of "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch" is pretty groovy at least.

The singer needs to channel his inner baritone sax a little harder.

Dr. Memory
Jul 10, 2001

Pick posted:

I'm not going to bother to watch the thing, but boy the new My Little Pony movie had some surprisingly good animators on staff. Some of it is really smooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjkhprTzhts&t=29s

I was all set to quietly ignore that movie's existence until I found out Michel Gagné worked on it. Now I'm torn.