Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shadow Hog posted:

Yeah, I went in expecting a basic Freaky Friday plot (but anime!), but then time travel made its presence known about halfway in and poo poo got surprisingly real. Thanks for pushing me to go see that, drat.

I knew literally nothing about the plot or even premise -- like I hadn't read a single article about it, other than reviews that say "go see it", for all I knew it could have been about space mechs or whatever. It was a neat change of pace knowing absolutely nothing about a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My theatre showed trailers for Raphael - Lord of the Arts and other fun highbrow doodads.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You know what two franchises I'd pay to see mashed together?
Tom & Jerry and Willy Wonka!

- No one, ever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Guys I'm still having trouble believing that the Willy Wonka Tom and Jerry movie is real and not some funnyordie video

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pick posted:

What's everybody's dream cel? What's the cel that's out there you dream of owning? Anybody? (Assuming you can't resell it for cash money)

Anything Robin from Robin Hood.

Or if I ever have a kid, anything from Watership Down so I can hang it over their crib and scar them for life.

When I was with my ex we had a few cels. I'm struggling to remember what, now, though. I'm fairly certain we had something of Mrs. Brisby from NIMH and then like three others we paid a lot of money for but obviously the others weren't memorable enough. While I liked the idea of cels, collecting them was mostly her thing. I'm much more interested in original sketches by artists. If I could get a zootopia sketch from one of the crew I would probably build a wall just to put that up.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 22, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

smug n stuff posted:

idk if it's been discussed already, but Wes Anderson is making another stop-motion movie!
No trailer or anything, but it's coming out April 2018 apparently.

So down for this. Good cast to boot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

I am watching Oliver and Company.

I appreciate this film about cattes

e: not as many cattes as anticipated

I legitimately think this may have been the first movie I ever saw in theatres so it'll always have a fond place in my heart.

Despite not actually being very good.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

what is incel?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shadow Hog posted:

...I haven't watched Over the Garden Wall or Ernest and Celestine...

saaaame

I'll remedy at some point. It's not like they're going anywhere.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Or I can go watch Rock Dog on Netfl--oh wait :[

Guess it's back to Zootopia for me.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well, the designs look cute at least.

The fox in the poster looks like an anthropomorphic Marty McFly in that getup.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 18, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pentaro posted:

Marty McFly is human-shaped.

You know what I meant :colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm looking forward to 2035 animated re-imagining of the Disney classic 2017 hit Beauty and the Beast

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean look how loving terrified she is of that bus.

edit: Always with the cats...

edit2: I've actually never watched Totoro. Maybe I'll fix that today.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hey guys guess what

I'm not watching Totoro today

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I watched Spirited Away in theatres and that was A Good Movie so I'm all for more Miyazaki. I was very down on Anime for a long time but I recently pulled the stick out of my butt so I'm going to watch it once I actually find it. I don't have a BluRay player, it doesn't seem to be available digitally, and there's no way I'm buy a DVD in the year of our lord two thousand and seventeen.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been scoring through the various services I subbed to to see what fun anime I missed in the past twenty years of being a big snob and it turns out you're completely right.

There's a few really pretty looking shows and films that I'm burning through, though, and I'm sure I'll find other stuff I like as I keep going through.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

If you like pretty shows I recommend Chihayafuru and Rakugo Shinjuu.

Thanks! I'm actually going through Rakyugo now and I'll check out Chihayafuru. Also watching Eccentric Family which is really pleasant just to look at.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Don't worry, we'll be back to posting big cats soon enough, I predict.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well since I can't watch Tororo and I couldn't find anything with big cats to satisfy demand, I found Boy and the Beast on Netflix and it seems pretty good so far.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

1. Boy and the Beast was really fun.
2. The vaguely human pig man was very unsettling to look at.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 23, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Allright, Totoro was too sweet.

Really enjoyed that

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Lucky he didn't get captured, otherwise he would have had to switch to cell-based animation

Brutal.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hemingway To Go! posted:

How... Train... Dragon? HOW TRAIN DRAGON

That reminds me, I need to watch ENG.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Drifter posted:

Some crazy bastard on Imgur has uploaded a bunch of behind the scenes stuff on Disney's animated movies that I figure you crazy bastards would like (no animals!!!).

101 Dalmations - http://imgur.com/gallery/BtznO

It turns out there are a lot of animals in the behind the scenes thing for this movie about animals :colbert:

And they're all adorable.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

So much bigfoot, so little John Lithgow :|

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Over the Hedge 2: Over the Event Horizon

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Das Boo posted:

Somehow I'm almost 30 and still coming to terms with the truth that, even if you get the original writers, director, actors and editors, the movie/show you loved so much will crumble before your eyes upon its return.

I learned this with Futurama and I'm not looking to really expand my disappointment :[

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

YggiDee posted:

I missed out on the later Futurama seasons, how bad did it get?

I felt like the characters were just written as caricatures of themselves which I guess is a dumb thing to say about cartoon characters but whatever. Some say it was fine but to me it became an unwatchable mess about two seasons into the revival. Maybe it got better, I just couldn't give it a chance.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Probably an unpopular opinion but South Park.

King of the Hill, for sure though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hedrigall posted:

Early South Park is unwatchable now.

Later seasons have a really varied mix of legitimately great episodes (which could rank amongst the best comedy tv of all time let alone animation) and bad filler. It's too up and down to say there's any consistency of quality.

The latest season was irredeemably loving terrible.

I guess it's down to personal opinion. I give the first two seasons of anything a pass because it's trying to find its feet and while a lot of people hated the last few seasons I still tuned in and thought it was good.

If we're going to do the most consistent stretch of being good from start to end then I'll go with Futurama original run. There was literally not an episode in those four seasons I thought was bad or even sub-par, right from day one. I can't say that about any other animated show I can think of. The longest stretch of being consistently but good, but not necessarily from day one through to the end, probably goes to Simpsons for S3/4 through 8 or something, then if we're going to allow a few misses I'll put Bob's Burgers and King of the Hill in for honourable mention.

I'm keeping it to animated shows because we're in an animation thread because obviously any sane person would throw in It's Always Sunny :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 31, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't have any real interest in day of the dead aesthetic but that movie looks beautiful and/or charming as gently caress.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't want to cross-pollinate too much but this was shown at E3 and the aesthetic is absolutely amazing on first glance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5iGwE0XJ1s

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is so good. Mrs. Beakley got a spot on the title shot too.

I'm assuming that's Mrs. Beakley, I mean who else would it be.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

starkebn posted:

I really like Bug's Life, I don't understand the apparent hate for it.

Same. I loved that movie and I was really shocked that so many people didn't.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Antz visual aesthetic completely put me off. It may be an amazing movie but I'll never know.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Did I miss something about Zootopia 2? Or are we just saying "yeah I can't wait until they decide to make a sequel"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CRINDY posted:

Hey, there's a festival over in Europe right now that's premiering some promising stuff!

I love the art style for "Big Bad Fox and Other Tales," a French 2D animated flick that looks like it's the follow-up to Ernest and Celestine - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G55ToR5lP6A

This looks adorable. Hope it shows up here with subs at some point.

I have nothing against dubs other than I can't remember the last dub of any movie I didn't cringe at. Actually it may have been Spirited Away in the theatre way back when.

Someone posted a translation in the comments as well and it got a laugh out of me:

Voice off screen: The audience is here! Hurry up!
Fox: Wait, I’m not readyyy- heheheh! Hello, dear audience! Tonight, we’re going to act out three plays!

[After Ernest and Célestine]
Fox: Ladies and gentlemen, here comes the Big Bad Fox! RAAAHHHH!
Hen: Ah, no! It’s the third time this week! That’s enough!
Fox: No but it- it’s because I’m hungry, actually...
Hen: I don’t care!

[The Big Bad Fox]
Fox: And yet I did everything like you!
Wolf: Which means?
Fox: You know, the thing you do! AahhHh [coughs]
Wolf: Oh, this. [ROAAAR]
Fox: That’s it.

(Eggs hatch)
Fox: Dinner is served...
Chick: Mommy!
Fox: What do you mean, ‘mommy’? But- but I’m not a hen!

[And other tales...]
Fox: You are chicks! You must be afraid of me!
(Wolf howls)
Chick: What’s this cry, mommy?
Fox: Mister Wolf is slightly angry...!

Dog: Oh, shut up! Can’t you see I’m trying to save your life!
Fox: [screams]
Dog: W- well, I tried.

Hen: Your chicks tried to bite some of their little classmates!
Other hen: And they attempted to eat Michel!
Michel: Hello ma’am!

Duck: What if we tried being responsible adults from now on?
(SCREAMING)

Little dog: Look Dad! They’re flying!
Dog: Yeah, well... Right now they’re mostly falling, though!

Fox (off screen): Enough with the silly, childish games!

Hen: Mommy is going to beat up the bad guy.

Hen: YAAAH!! … Was it good?
Fox: Excellent.

[The Big Bad Fox and Other Tales...]
Michel: Hello everyone, did you like the show?
Fox: Michel! Can somebody come and get Michel?!
Wolf: Er, I can take care of it if you want. It doesn’t bother me at all.
Fox: No it’s okay- hop, here, look, he’s gone!

[In theaters June 21st]

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 3, 2017

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Based on one set of lines that wasn't awful so I'm excited :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

People are starting to post clips from the Tom and Jerry Willy Wonka mashup on Twitter and it... sure is something.

https://twitter.com/jakestrick/status/882277375009935360