Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Is it ok that I'm excited for Lego Batman?

Because I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My prediction for MLP is massive internet backlash. Not because it's bad, but because MLP fans are the worst.

Every minor criticism (valid or not) of the movie will be met by towering anger by the fans. They'll take it personally. Every discussion will be derailed until hatred of the fandom is inseparable from hatred of the movie itself.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dr. Memory posted:

Nearly every shot of Jake is in close-up and just lingers on his details. You'd need to go that far with the mapping or he wouldn't look real.

The individual scales are pretty quick work, though. Look at this shot: http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/rango/images/a/a8/Rattlesnake_Jake.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110702081516

Airbrush, airbrush, stipple, stipple, maybe a crack or two, overlay some dirt, pump out spec and normal maps by modifying the color map then move on to the next. It can be done pretty quickly once you're in the zone.

Oh man I just noticed how his mouth looks like one of those evil, thin mustaches.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

If you look even closer you'll see he does have a mustache above his mouth.

Oh man that is fantastic.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wait, what? Storks was actually good?

I remember the chatter in this thread being quite dire.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

For those of you who haven't seen the video that gif is from...

https://youtu.be/clLqaaGJJZ8

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

There's a look of terror on that fish's face that cannot be unseen.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pick posted:

He's a pure profiteer and his only goal is money/power. He's similar to Xanatos in that way.

Xanatos (and Gargoyles villains in general) was really great. I really miss that show.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Das Boo posted:

Meg and Kuzco are the best Disney princesses, bar none.

Kuzco owns, but unlike Meg, he's not the best part of his movie. Not because he's bad but because everything is is amazing.

That said, Kronk is the best part of ENG, hands down.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm going to see Lego Batman tonight and I'm so stoked.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Lego batman movie: ham-handed morals, hilarious as gently caress. I've never before had trouble rolling my eyes because I was laughing too hard.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

wdarkk posted:

Is Kite Man in it? Calender Man? Turner D Century?

The first two, for sure. I don't recall the third.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Hedrigall posted:

Now I want to see Barry as Scar/Ursula/Gaston/Cruella De Vil/Yzma/Jafar/Frollo/Hades/Dr Facilier

and by want to see I mean claw my eyes out

Some of their villain songs write themselves though.

"Bee Prepared"
"You Poor Unfortunate Drones"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fantastic Cheetahs and Where to Find Them is, well, fantastic.

Pick posted:

So really, is there any negative effect as such for Tamatoa shiny-ing himself? Based on his design, not at all really :shrug:

You know, I actually like the message of "gently caress it, just be yourself" that it implies. Dude just wants to be fabulous.

Its his other foibles--he's just a huge jerk--that are bad.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I know it's something of heresy around these parts, but I genuinely like the Despicable Me/Minions movies. I 100% recognize that only the first DM movie crosses that line from "enjoyable" to "objectively good movie," but both DM2 and Minions were squarely in that "enjoyable" category for me.

Gru is awesome. Dr. Nefario is awesome. The girls are awesome. Lucy is...okay. I must have the attention span of a gnat because the Minions usually make me laugh rather than groan. And I love the crazy super-villains across the board, what with how they borrow everything absurd from comics, pulp novels, James Bond, and more.

The recent Despicable Me 3 trailer is extremely my poo poo.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Crazy Ferret posted:

The Hell sequence legitimately terrified me as a kid. I adore it as an adult but it was wild at the time. There is something about Bluth's color palette that makes things intense and still dreamlike.

Me too. Mom used to put it on on lazy Sundays when she'd spend the afternoon reading. My sister and I had a love/hate relationship with that movie.

I was talking to my mom about it years later, as an adult, and she was confused as gently caress. Seems she thought we'd been watching Oliver and Company over and over. lol

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

And here I thought I was the only person who liked Titan AE.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Just re-watched Moana for the first time since its theatrical release.

Grandma is the best. And Shiny is quite possibly the best villain song.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sage Grimm posted:

It's not overrated but rather oversaturated.

Agreed.

I really like Frozen, and Anna is one of my favorite Disney characters. She's very well-rounded in her strengths and flaws. Let It Go is an amazing song to the point that it elevates the entire film.

But holy poo poo did Disney and the world go full retard with the hype. There was a solid year, maybe year and a half, where I saw/heard/noticed Frozen everywhere. Now I still see it from time to time, but it's not nearly as ubiquitous.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Larryb posted:

A new Dispicable Me 3 trailer is out.

Huh. I wish they'd explored more of Gru as an anti-villain. He's pretty good at being bad. I just wanted to see him being pretty good at being good by being bad.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I watched Aladdin for the first time in at least 15 years last night.

Thoughts:

I really miss Robin Williams.

I also really like Jasmine as a character. I vaguely remembered Jasmine as "kind of mean." I guess teenage me thought "strong-willed" was the same as "not nice." I was wrong, because Jasmine owns. She's smart and willful and (despite the Disney trope of falling in love in one evening) presents a great message of not being a prize to be won.

Jafar is a great villain, but he goes absolutely mad at the end. His shift from cold-and-calculating to cackling mad is abrupt and happens the moment he makes his second wish. I guess absolute power corrupts absolutely. His reprise of Prince Ali ends with his mad laughter.

Is the merchant in the intro supposed to be the Genie? Because he has a lot of the same speech patterns (notably going into rapid-fire not-quite-asides after every few lines), and a lot of magical stuff happens around him casually, like his stall which appears from nothing and the glowing sand from the lamp. His motions are also extremely bouncy and over-animated.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Das Boo posted:

I know it'd get poo poo all over for bad female role model shenanigans, but a story about a dude who pursues a princess who's just a complete rear end in a top hat would be funny as hell.

:saddowns: But she's gorgeous!
:geno: She's an rear end in a top hat.
:saddowns: But she's rich!
:geno: She's an rear end in a top hat.
:saddowns: ?!?!?

She wouldn't even be the villain, just a Kuzco-grade bitch. Maybe she's so godawful that not even the villain can put up with her and the hero and villain form a romantic bond over that poo poo.

Road to El Dorado isn't too far off from this. Only everyone is an rear end in a top hat. Except the chief.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This was a very bland movie. It was aggressively mediocre.

The cowboy T-Rex family was the absolute highlight of the movie. I wish the rest had had even some of that heart and imagination.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

If the DVD is unopened and you know what store it's from, just take it in and get store credit. Use that to buy the Blu

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Is Your Name English dubbed or subtitled?

That will make a big difference on if I can convince my wife to go see it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Build-a-Boar posted:

Where's the giant, Mansley?!

That's one of my favorite lines in the movie. The way it's delivered is great. The seething anger, the way his voice goes just a bit higher than normal from stress, the implied "you loving dumbass," I love it all.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Regalingualius posted:

Yeah, I'm not even gonna try to defend S2 of Korra, even if it had the story of Wan and the journey to the Spirit World. That being said, though, S3 managed to make the mother of all saving catches for a show.

I've recently rewatched both Avatar and Korra, and I think Season 3 of Korra may be the strongest season of both series.

But whoa boy, that second season or Korra sure is trash.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Okay, I just spent the last few days watching the first season of Avatar on this thread's recommendation and it was a bit up and down. There were some great episodes but some of the filler episodes just plain sucked (like the one where they had to help two enemy tribes cross a valley eurgh).

I'm currently trying to watch the live action movie and oh my god it's hard going, they just hosed it up so much.

I took my five year old kid, who loved the cartoon, to see the live action movie. It was the first movie he ever asked to go see.

After the movie, he said "Daddy, that was a bad movie."

Yes, son, yes it was.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

He didn't like Penguins of Madagascar.

I don't disagree with anything else, but man...how can you not like Penguins? It's the best animated romp since Emperor's New Groove.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Just watched Trolls.

That was a really pretty movie with a really positive message.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

First double episode of DuckTales is up on Youtube. Did we talk about that yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP0Neif7Y4E

I liked it a lot.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

"No, Bob. That's bad."

It's from the Incredibles, during the dinner table scene. My wife and I say this to each other all the time.

"Why do we even have that lever!?"

The entrance to Yzma's secret lair in Emperor's New Groove has two levers. One opens a trap door. Kronk can never pull the right one.

Also everything Kronk says is pure gold.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love TNBC and even have a 16" meta Jack head I put in the middle of my Christmas wreath.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If only we could be so lucky as to get a spiritual sequel to the Super Mario Bros. movie.

That movie is awesome.

The old mario movie is really not GOOD, but it is really, uh, creative in how it interprets the source material.

I have a real soft spot for it because of how weird it is.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

This is a pretty neat short about happiness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9dZQelULDk

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

AMC sucks. Whenever possible I go to my local corner theater which doesn't play ads at all and has like 2-3 trailers before the movie, but they can't show everything with only 4 projectors so sometimes it's not an option.

My local AMC is the best theater in town, so :shrug:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Macaluso posted:

The Venice chase scene is SO bonkers and good

It's basically perfect. I love the Penguins movie a lot, and that scene is just perfect.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Macaluso posted:

Talking about Penguins of Madagascar, I went back and watched some of the stuff from it on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sggCMq-Nf9I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-8wWLo_2gE

This movie had just ridiculous action sequences, a bunch of stuff you can't really pull off in live action and the animators clearly had a ton of fun with it. That plane sequence is especially fun cause it's all one "shot"

edit: And obviously the Venice chase scene that gets mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjMlCZf0MBc

The movie is just a pure joy to watch. The only thing it does less-than-perfectly is the ham-fisted way it squashes in the moral. It's just so serious about it in a movie that takes literally nothing else seriously.

I wish it had been 100% tongue-in-cheek the entire time, or just dropped the moral entirely.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Barudak posted:

The Addams are unironically the healthiest role model family in America

Oh my god someone else thinks this, too.

More than once, in my time as a father and husband, I've asked myself "What would Gomez do?"

The answer was always the right answer.

The Addams Family is wholesome as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Robindaybird posted:

It's amazing, because they were the 'weird inhuman' family, the TV series got away with a lot more - they were the only couple that looked and acted like they were genuinely in love with each other.

The whole family is amazing, especially considering how old the show is.

Gomez and Morticia are clearly head over heels in love with each other. It's passionate without being raunchy. They also talk out their problems; any time they disagree (which isn't common), they work to see the others' point of view. It's a model of how to have a successful relationship.

The kids are given freedom to learn and explore and make mistakes, and supported at all times. It's a model of how to raise children to be independent without running wild.

There's no snarky "I hate the in-laws" crap with grandmama, even Lurch is treated with respect. There's not a single person they interact with who is treated poorly. It's a model of how to treat others in your sphere of influence, even when they're on the edges of it.

The women are treated as equals. Physical differences mean nothing. The Addamses default to inclusiveness at all times. It's a model of how to treat others, even those you don't understand.

I could go on and on. I love the Addams Family, both the original B&W show and the movies.