Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Macaluso posted:

I desperately want this loving PLAGUE of turning animated stuff into live action/CG movies to die already

Me too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pick posted:

Shame, because the Burger King x-box games were actually among the best games for that console.

Sneak King owned.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Does Roger Rabbit count as a pick for most impressive animation?

Because I've never seen a film that managed to mix real and animated characters (and props, and, well, everything) together so well.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Netflix's Hilda is delightful.

I would have lost my poo poo about this cartoon when I was a kid. Even as an adult I find myself grinning from ear to ear in every episode.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The thing I remember most about All Dogs Go to Heaven is that the scene where Charlie goes to hell scared the poo poo out of me as a kid.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Queen Combat posted:

Take all the time you would spend wasting on The Good Dinosaur or Cars 2, and spend it watching Hilda. It's infinitely more charming and wholesome, with a good moral message.

Hell, if you just spend those 4+ hours and watch the Hilda OP on repeat it would be a better use of time.

Hilda is amazing.

I think the wood man is my favorite character other than hilda herself

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

My biggest issue with WIR2 is that Ralph's heel turn (which is one of the movie's better ideas) just makes no goddamned sense with the ultimate resolution to that ending.

There's one of those cliche scenes where he overhears Vanellope talking about what she wants and how she feels about Ralph, but unlike every other time that trope occurs, he gets to hear the whole thing. He hears her waffling and her concern for his feelings and her pain. The entire discussion was focused solely on her conflicting feelings between what she wanted and what Ralph wanted. He was never, not once, not the focus of the conversation.

But instead of following through with that, and talking to her and working through it, he just decides he's going to wreck things. Ralph is always portrayed as pretty dumb, but the whole thing wasn't dumb. It's a willful ignorance cranked to 11.

It didn't set right with me, and while the end--where they part ways--is a great idea, I feel like their continued friendship was completely unrealistic and undeserved. The resolution is the "oh you just misunderstood, I forgive you for being an idiot, try not to be an idiot next time" resolution, not the "oh you deliberately and willfully decided to gently caress up my life and wreck my dreams because you are a giant manbaby" resolution.

The more I talk about it, the more that whole plot line pisses me off. And since it's the main plot of the last half of the movie, ugh.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Macaluso posted:

The Rabbids were in one of the best games I played last year and were also quite endearing so they've got Minions beat on that one

Mario Rabbids Kingdom Battle is a shining jewel of a game that shouldn't exist but somehow does. I don't know how the hell they convinced Nintendo to let them do some of the things they did, especially with Rabbid Peach.

But it is glorious.

PierreTheMime posted:

This came across to me as Ralph hearing what he wanted to hear in the conversation and discarding the rest by going inward with feelings of betrayal and anger. It specifically is willfully ignorant. The whole movie is coming from an angle of Ralph being so incredibly comfortable with his life and his friendship that he wants it to remain the same forever, refusing to accept another person's (even Vanellope's) wishes when it comes to his plans that include others. It's a selfish and needy reaction that you often do see in children and some adults, and especially in adults can be extremely dangerous and toxic.

Ralph redeems himself because after seeing the damage he's caused he takes a step back and reflects on his actions and how he's hurt people, accepts Vanellope's wishes, and makes amends. This is the moral that the film really is trying to push at the viewer, because there's a ton of toxic people out there that need to understand the message. Without input they reach the step of smothering and harm but lack the ability to reflect for whatever reason and delve further into harmful behavior.

I dunno, I liked it. It certainly wasn't the best WDAS film, but it worked for me.

I split your post into two parts because I absolutely understand the first part.

However, I fully disagree that Ralph redeems himself. He gets out of this huge mess by, essentially, saying he's sorry. I don't believe that sorry is good enough in a situation like this. Sorry is what you say when you misunderstand, make a mistake, hurt someone a little. It's not what you say when you nearly get your friend killed. It's not what you say when the only reason your actions don't have permanent consequences is sheer luck outside your control. Or rather, while you can say it, it shouldn't be enough.

The resolution is literally V sacrificing herself and her happiness to stop the rampaging monster. That's not something a relationship should bounce back from because "I'm sorry." Ralph is lying, controlling, and manipulative.

You see it as Ralph learning to let go. I see it as an abusive jackhole getting off soft for convenient narrative reasons.

I will, however, admit that I'm going through a divorce from an emotionally abusive, gaslighting spouse, and I may be projecting a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Every game where Sonic talks is bad.

Every game where any character who is not Sonic or Eggman talks is terrible.

This is gonna be worse than any of them.